1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Realizing you chose the wrong BJD scale/size

Mar 23, 2019

1. I have dolls of all sizes and 1/4 is my sweet spot. My 1/6 sizes are mostly anthros, and my 1/3's are mostly shelf sitters. (No way can I wrangle my Ringdoll for any length of time)

In the end, I buy what I like regardless of size, but it always ends up being 1/4 that ends up in my cart. :XD:

2. It's sometimes a slippery slope! This ’problem’ is why I now happily but chaotically dabble in 5 scales. I consider my collection ’medium sized’ at 23 resin bjd.
      We have a few extra solitaries in their own scale, but I'm also getting ready to let go of most that don't firmly fit into either a story or into my following categories.
      1. Celestials: 70cm Soom Sard, Dollshe Saint, 3 Souldoll Zenith girls
      2. Big head 1/3/SD: Volks SD10, UNOSS, Unoa Prim, Ariadoll Narvy - confined to a bookshelf ’tea party’ set. They look great together but not so good with other 1/3 dolls with a more realistic aesthetic.
      3. 1/4: Unoa 1.5 + hybrids, probably the largest size that will ever get a diorama or room box. I solved the stylistic problem by making all my 1/4 doll heads Alchemic Labo faceplates, but bodies have more variety.
      4. Playscale~1/6: 3 resins, a Blythe, all the Barbies, Monster High etc. Renovating a Barbie house. These dolls rotate, some are stored away each season for a somewhat orderly and less crowded display.
      5. Dollhouse~1/12: all dolls off topic so far but the temptation to get a Pukisha is great sometimes. I adore the miniatures in this scale and have a dollhouse kit but for now, their display is a single shelf.

3. I did realize too late that dolls with teeny eye sizes and tight head spaces drive me crazy. I still have those dolls and adore them, but I won’t be getting more.

If I have a sweet spot, it’s 1/4 and 1/6 yosd.

4. I have mostly MSDs but I love SDs too, not a huge fan of tinies or YoSDs. My main issue is when I fall for a sculpt and it's totally different proportions to the rest of the group it's supposed to be in, but in the same size range... My Impledoll boy and Dikadoll boy are brothers, but they're totally different MSDs! The Dikadoll is really chunky and the Impldoll is slim, so they look a bit awkward together... but I love them too much to change haha

5. Why can't you keep both and have two different scales...?

My smallest is RealPuki and my largest is Lusion. You don't have to restrict yourself to one scale or grouping. BJD don't have to mathc in scale or be part of the same group (or part of a group at all - they can be stand alone characters).

Teddy

6. I have MSDs (my starting point), a Yo-SD and tiny anthros and I really wish I had discovered tiny anthros earlier xD
      But I do not think there is something like a wrong choice, it will always depend on how do you want your characters to interact and it is also about the space you want to devote to them so, like everything in this hobby, it is a personal matter.
      For example I would never own something bigger than 52cm because I'm not comfortable with the size and weight.

7. This happened to me when I bought my first doll. I didn't realize that Fairyland ChicLine dolls had heads of a Barbie size. It turned out that this size is not for me, it's too small. Later I bought 1/3 doll and completely fell in love with it.

8. I guess that my favourite size is MSD but I prefer the thicker look of the bodies of the 1/3 scale range. So I found the perfect doll in my Volks DearSD; she's MSD sized but her proportions are just like a 1/3 doll :3nodding:

Yet I own a SD16 girl and a YOSD girl since both have their advantages. The SD16 girl is nicer to look at from afar because of her size and the YOSD is far easier to display in a more crowded space.

9. I'm definitely guilty of this! I started with SD sized dolls because I thought to myself, "These are exactly what I want. I don't want small hard to manage dolls". I've always liked the more mature looks of SD sized dolls so I was absolutely certain I'd like them more. But! I actually got an SD sized doll in aaaand it was too big. I can't display her anywhere because of my small room size and my already abundant collection of other OOAK and Unicornos. I'm really thinking about trying to re-home both of my SD dolls because it's just a huge shame and waste of their potential to have them sitting in a box for months on end.

10. Initially I began with 1/3 because I love to design my own clothing and they were the easiest to sew for. However later I was so fascinated by the hobby, I wanted to try out all the sizes. Later I fell in love with creating special displays for them and discovered 1/4 fit those limitations the best. (Thank goodness for the DoA marketplace because It accommodated all these major hobby changes, both buying and selling!) However now, after 13 years in the hobby, I’ve branched out my doll displays throughout my home, and am back to having dolls of all sizes to better fit each of my individual characters. The vast majority of my crew is still 1/4, but I have 6 SDs and 8 tinies now, and somehow it all works for me...largely because my “world” is fairytale based, so anything goes interaction-wise as long as I can wrangle enough display space.:lol:

11. For me it was the opposite of going from a bigger size to a littler one. I got a YOSD and realized that those sized dolls were to small for what I enjoyed to play with. :)

12. He is very cute.
      It is good that you are waiting to see what you want to do. Who knows another character for him may come to you. He may also move on. You have to decide on what works best for you.
      I am think that this happens quite often in the hobby. I have mostly msds and sds with a few smaller ones. I can't sew so I buy my clothes and that has been my issue. When I first started I had msds and found clothes I wanted every where. Now, most of my favorite sellers have moved to mostly sd clothes and most of the sales for sd also. So while I do have and love my sds. My msds feel left out. But it looks like with everything else comes back around. So, hopefully they become more popular again with my sellers.
      Good luck to you and if he ends up not working for you, then you find one that does!