1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Large Male Dolls: A flash in the pan?

Mar 4, 2007

1. I agree with others who have said that the big boy trend is really coming from the desire of many owners to have mature sculpts. I also agree that if some of the companies would concentrate on making more mature sculpts in other sizes, they would probably sell equally as well.

When I first started noticing BJD, all that was availible were dolls that looked either childlike, or anime, neither of which I had an interest in. When Isao came out, I perked up, and when I first saw a Bermann, that was the sealer. Like others, I am really only drawn to more mature looking dolls, and the bigger boys (and girls, we have those now too) naturally lend themselves to a more mature sculpt.

I also agree that there is such a thing as too big. 70CM is about as big as I want, and I am not interested in size, just for the sake of size.

Do I think the bigger dolls are here to stay? Absolutely. Again, as more people come into this hobby, many from the Fashion Doll arena, the desire for mature looking dolls will be here to stay.

2. I think it's purely a matter of taste. I am attracted to the size of the big guys. I clearly recall my first experience of meeting a dollfie in person in the Alta Sumika and their size left me in awe of them! The pictures really didn't prepare me for the reality of their size and presence.

I am not really attracted to the idea of having a smaller doll, even having been exposed to many of them. I like them and they're clearly beautiful, but I wouldn't want one; I like my big armful boys. :) I also feel agreement with the views being expressed here about the maturity of the sculpts of the bigger boys; we're surrounded all our lives by child-like dolls, and they're not really what I'm looking for.

As for our new 80cm friend, the jury (for me) is still out, but if I don't bring him to my home, it will not be because of his height. Even though he's be a lot bigger than my other boys, he could huddle awkwardly in the corner, hiding his height as best he could I am sure. :) It would be his extreme thiness that would put me off, not his size. I think 80cm is hilarious; it would be so awesome on the tube...:lol:

3. I have to agree about the mature opinion. I myself prefer the boys more mature, I luv volks dolls but in a way they're too childlike for me (tho there are some that i would luv to own, they're too adorable) but i think the concept of making them bigger and bigger has to do with the age, Volks had aimed for 10 / 13/ 16 year old dolls but they looked too young for some ppl, so to make them older and more mature they started to add in the height.

70cm dolls and BH 77cm dolls scare me slightly with the new mecha angel from coom 80cm... by far it's too large.

I personally prefer the 60cm doll range, tho if they were made into minis i would luv them equally. Tho any smaller than a tall mini 45cm/46cm like a 1/6 scale would become barbie type dolls so it would not interest me as much.

I suppose i have a set range size of dolls i like, 43cm ~ 60cm is wot i prefer, anything bigger scares me, anything smaller would make me feel like playing with a barbie

4. For those of you looking for a more mature and smaller the new Lati Blue guys are mature. The Lati Red surely are mature looking. I know also that Limwha did a 45cm Limho boy, he's pretty mature looking. I also know she is modeling right now a doll that will be around the 67 cm range and scultped as buff as the Hearthbreak boy. I can't wait to see his face. Mostly it's the face that sells a doll for me. I really love the Angel Mecha face but... not the rest of him. He's way too out of whack with my other boys.

5. The Second doll I bought was a Hound, and I love him. He is well made and he poses great. I dont think that larger sized dolls are a trend, they may not be as popular later on when something new comes along but I think they will have longevity. Its really like anything else, music, fashion, celebrities........its all depending on a fickle public. We as humans, just get tired of one thing and move on and then usually come back to the same thing we are tired of and its new again. A cycle.

6. I think Soom are testing the market to see what people think. I'm going to buy a Mecha Angel. I'm really not worried about his body. Given his size, I'm sure when you see him in person, your first impression will be WOW look at how tall he is, not geez he's skinny. If you look at the photo of him dressed in Jeans, he looks perfectly natural. Soom will make a good range of clothing and shoes for him. His feet seem as if they are small enough to fit a larger range of shoes, but again look good when he's posed. It sounds like they're going to bring out a female for him so I'll be racing to buy him.

7. Mmmmm....I adore the Dollshe boys and if my collection has seen any changes it's decidedly away from the 60cm boys and those pesky 58cm guys. ;) I like the bigger boys BECAUSE of the realistic sculpts, but primarily, with Dollshe, I like the thin, lanky slouchiness of the bodies. I sold my SD16s because even though they were shockingly handsome guys, they were...not as fluid to me in chara interpretation because of the build and sculpt of the body.

I don't see myself indulging in any other big boys, though...Dollshe owns me.

And as a few others have mentioned - it's incredibly frustrating that the bigger boys are making a serious appearance on the scene but we're still pretty bereft of costuming choices.

8. Ha! With the legions of fangirls throwing money around for these big bishies... I think they are NOT a "flash in the pan" (though, hemhem apparently a flash in teh pants! XD).

Seriously! I see them getting bigger and more realistic!!! That new Nobility guy with the silicone nipples and jointed "bit"...!

I'd never buy one personally, but that's because BOYS ARE ICKY!!!
      (just kidding!)

Raven

9. I love my Hound, and plan on getting another Dollshe boy as finances allow! What sort of clothing are you wanting for the big boys that isn't available or hard to find?

10. I am disabled, and I have found it harder to work in really small or full size costumes. I love my 1/3 scale people. I am getting a 1/4 from DZ also, but she will be a younger person and interact with the 1/3rds. Personally, I love the big doll trend. I think the new Mecha Angel is wonderful. I would definitely consider a 1/2 scale doll! Especially if he is as light as the news post says. My DZ Ying is heavier than that! I wouldn't trade my big boys for anything either. I think the market is still expanding for these type of dolls, in all scales. With this I love seeing the variety of the dolls. Ying(Elidor) has a face I really like, as do my two Haruka heads. For me, the face is most important, then body. I can definitely think of characters that could be done with a larger thinner doll - Imagine him with wings...
      As with any collectables, various dolls will probably wax and wane in popularity, however there are always some fans of each. It has seemed to me that the dolls are pushing the envelope in both upper and lower dimensions, and as long as we are buying them, they will be available.

11. Isn't that the truth. Shoes are the biggest problem. Whether you like this new Soom boy or not, you have to admire their brilliance in keeping his feet small. That he can fit into SD13...thats great! At least he won't need his own she size. THAT would have been a deal breaker for me. As it stands I want one. May not be able to get in on this first run, but I will be trying to bring one home sooner or later.

12. Well I'm glad they are making larger and more human looking dolls.
      I've tried to buy smaller dolls after my Bermann but no way...it doesn't work for me.

So I'll be sticking to Dollshe...and I don't care what other people think about large dolls I love them so for me they are not a trend ^_^
      And of course other companies have seen how well Dollshe dolls sell so they try and copy that succes, let them I say cause I'll not pay that much attention to it.

Sabriell

13. I like Dollshe, but they're renowned for being hard to pose and floppy, yet the company doesn't do anything about it. I like the Soom Sabik because they've make a real effort to fix that. There's nothing more frustrating than spending ages trying to get a good photo of a doll because they're flopping over.

14. The Dollmore Model boy is a fanrtastic poser as well. So good poseability in these large boys IS possible. I love my Dollshe boys, but they don't hold a pose well at all, and all of mine are wired and sueded, it helps, but doesn't take them to that next level of poseability.

15. Flash in the pan or not--does it matter? If people want to make the dolls and if people want to buy the dolls, that's what will happen.

As to why companies make them--simple, they think people will buy them. They have seen that other larger dolls have sold, so why not try to enter that market if they want to try it?

Why do people want to buy them? That's all individual.

What's a flash in the pan? Maybe BJDs in general are. Or maybe not. Time will tell. Almost everything can seem to be a trend. Things have to start and if they catch on and people want to buy them and people want to produce them, then there is a natural arc that occurs. People start buying them and others hear about it and become interested and buy them, too, and companies hear about that and may produce others. *shrug*

Tinies have totally grown in popularity. More so than the big dolls.

I think people like all kinds of things and there is just some part of the market that wants different types and sizes and the companies try and fill that need. Why not?

Also--when you first expand into new sizes and types of dolls, it's just natural that there won't be that many choices in clothes and accessories. It takes time to build a market for those items. And if only a few people have the type of doll that needs a certain thing, then naturally, people will not be making tons of stuff for them.

Sometimes it's still hard to find the stuff I want for regular SD-sized dolls. And years ago, it was even harder. People with new-sized dolls are just back in that time, when the market was still small and things were hard to find or impossible to find.

16. The Dollshe sculpt has been around long enough that it shouldn't be considered so new as to render a larger selection of couture so limited. I would be very pleased if DollHeart would begin designing for the 70cm guys! I do shop at tensiya and eluts and although the choices limited, the quality is good in fit.

As to the posing ability of the DS body - a little bit of hot glue sueding and the DS boys are the most realistically poseable boys I have ever owned.

17. I don't really think the larger dolls could be considered a "flash in the pan." Not when I know there are more than likely other people like myself out there. My first dolls were MSD sized Kid-Delfs and Unolas. Once we had Santino though, and once I'd gone to a doll meet-up and held a Dollshe boy... it was all over for me.

My biggest love with dolls has always been dressing, and customizing them. I never got into Barbie and Tonner though because something about them always disinterested me, now I know it was their size. Once Rose and I realized how big SD/SD13 sized dolls were though, we were completely sold and knew that collecting BJDs was totally for us.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't want anything bigger than Dollshe, I mean... those guys are little monsters. they're massive in doll terms. That new Soom boy though... I saw him and was in total dollie lust. Our friend Lauren who's moving in with Rose and I this summer is terrified we're getting one just because he's half her size. (She and Rose are a petite 5'0" and 4'11" respectively.) So I suppose I can see how some people might be bothered by the size. I can't honestly say if I'd want to lug him around if I were shorter.

Rose can afford to love him though, she'll make me carry him. -.-

-Abs (nearly 5'10")

18. I think if Dollshe ever evened up the leg ratios - upper and lower leg, they'd make even bigger bucks from people "upgrading" bodies. Or sell leg sets alone!

Maybe the ultimate limiting factor to what size someone collects will be at which level they entered the hobby (aka what size their initial dolls were), and how many complete wardrobes they can simultaneously afford to buy!

19. True, true. It's actually helped my wallet that my tallest boy has only found one outfit that truely suits him. Magnus just changes shoes and neckties, sometimes wigs and loses his glasses every now and again. He has a scarf that Kaspar made him... but having a limited selection hasn't actually saved me any money, it just allowed me to buy more stuff for the other boys.

I'm hoping I like at least one or two things that Soom presents for their 80cm boy. A really nice presentation of clothing would be a good incentive.

20. Big boys all the way!! My only BJD so far is Yukinojo Volks SD16. The clothing issue bums me out. A limited Volks Rocker outfit for him Ebayed for $350+!!

Have Special K coming sometime soon (?). Had been planning on ordering a Dollshe but since K was limited to 50 went ahead with him. Now Soom Mecha Angel Sabik is limited to 50 and I am freaking out. Thinking of doing the 5 part payment for Sabik, but it will put Dollshe on hold -- again!

Once again K & Sabik will have very few clothing options. Oh well.