1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

receiving a doll as a gift; Did you had that chance once?

Dec 10, 2017

1. It happened to me once. And I cried a lot. Of happiness of corse. It meant so much to me! and I would like to know for you? Did you ever received a doll as a gift? I would like to know the story^^ .

2. I don't think anyone would get me a bjd as a gift because they are too expensive lol I would feel badly if someone spent that much on me

3. Yep!

One of my friends here on DoA sent me a doll for my birthday last year. It was a total surprise and I'm still absolutely thrilled about it! I've given a doll as a gift, too. Both giving and receiving dolls are wonderful experiences that I'll cherish for a very long time. :whee:

4. Actually, the doll I'm waiting for (my first doll and I might only ever get 1 more) is a gift- I was given the funds and permission to get one from my family
      I know how you feel!

5. Not quite, since BJDs are especially expensive here in Brazil due to currency conversion and import fees, I would never expect anyone to ever give me a doll. However, my mom has helped me get a few of my dolls by either paying for a part of one of them (we like to joke that he's half hers, though she has no interest in owning one and prefers to enjoy the hobby through me instead) or lending me money that I could pay her back later as a form of extended layaway. Needless to say, I'm incredibly grateful to her. :aheartbea

I'm also low-key hoping to get money for my birthday from as many people as I can this year so I can put that towards my savings for a body for one of my floating heads. Fingers crossed, haha. Last year I was given enough in gift cards that I could have bought a smaller doll, so here's hoping I can get them to give me cash instead this year. :XD:

6. My parents have given me two full dolls (my first, a Luts Lemon, and my Islanddoll AnAn) and a doll body. I'm really grateful for all of it... and I think my mum is too because she's never sure what else to get me for my birthday. :whee: And in return, I try to help my friends with their dolls whenever I can...

7. My first doll head was a gift from a friend and I almost cried because of the kindness! It's a practice head and she didn't want it anymore and thought it would be useful for me so she asked if I wanted it! I insisted on paying shipping but I'm so glad I said yes because he's my little bean and I fell in love with him as soon as I opened him!

8. I never recieved BJD as gift. It would be very expensive gift and nobody in my family knows where and how to order BJD and which one. But sometimes my family gives me some money as christmas gift or birthday gift and they say that it is meant to add to my savings for doll that I save for. When I think about it, every doll I own was partially funded by my family.

9. Oh I did felt bad at the beginning but when the person insisted and just put the doll in my hands I just bursted into tears and run somewhere to hide haha. It is hard to accept but refusing a gift is not a good way of beiing grateful of the person who takes the decision to offer you something. And trust me I never thought it would happened to me ever in my life ^^. I hope you'd live that experience one day ^^ :3

You'r right giving must be amazing too. I hope I'll have the possibility to give back as well one day ^^ :3

#9 Alixandrinne, Dec 10, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
    10. Haha this year I asked two Santas to get me BJD for christmas... and both of them agreed! So I'm going to get two dolls as presents this year! :lol:
      But the first one was not that expensive (even tought it's a SOOM SD girl...) and I'm getting a present for this Santa with the same value ^^ and the other one was also cheaper than the normal price and we divided the price so I'm paying half of my gift :) but since my mum (the doll is from my parents) can sew she kept the doll and made an outfit for her that I didn't see and I will get it for Christmas as a surprise (since I already saw the doll :P)

11. Gratz ^^! this is good news. I'm curious on that non-expensive SOOM sd girl. What SOOM sd it is? :D

12. I have, several times, from my sister and husband.

My sister and I are both in the hobby, so for Christmas and birthdays, we usually do buy each other doll items. We have a price limit which usually means we're limited to just a head or a tiny doll unless we find an excellent deal, but that's still a lot of fun!

My husband is not in the hobby, nor does he regularly buy me dolls, but sometimes for Christmas or birthday, he'll tell me to pick out a doll I want. He has expensive hobbies too, and we are childfree, so we still try to keep Christmas fun for each other with hobby stuff, instead of things we need or would find useful.

I'm comfortable accepting dolls from them, but I think I'd feel really weird if someone I don't have such a close relationship with spent that much on me.

13. My sister got me a doll for my last birthday! :XD: Not a very expensive one--it was a 1/12 scale pet doll, less than $150, but it still means a lot to me especially since the artist only made four of them.

14. That's amazing

15. Yes my bf gave me a volks yosd for my birthday! I am so happy that he is starting to accept my hobby. :)

16. My first (and only) two dolls were gifts from back when my dad used to work abroad, and I wasn't used to him not being there so he wanted to cheer me up and show me his staying there was worth it. As they're gifts, they're especially precious to me and have kept me company even when I wasn't feeling the hobby anymore. :)

17. It was MD Soom Cass - but she was sold second hand, and the seller wanted not too much for her... So it was a perfect occasion! The seller is also taking commissions for faceup and blushing so I asked them to do it for me (and I paid for that, not my Santa)... And they were living in my country so they offered us free shipping ^^.
      But I would never ask someone to get me a full priced doll ^^

18. I once bought a doll off the Marketplace a couple months before Christmas (possibly bad idea) and then by the time the doll actually arrived I was caught up in getting ready for the holidays and didn't have time to get her out of the box. Mom apparently found the box and wrapped her up for me because when I was opening up my presents she was one of them. While it wasn't a gift in the sense that it was something I had bought for myself and she just wrapped it and put it under the tree, it was still nice that she noticed that I hadn't had time to have a proper unboxing for that doll.

19. Amazing ^^ this doll is so precious :3. I'm happy for you! such a nice and happy story :D.

Your mom is soooo nice!!! This is probably the best way for you to have it oppened ahahaha. Really and amazing idea she had! :dance

#19 Alixandrinne, Dec 11, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
    20. Yes. When I was a kid I would get a doll every Christmas it seemed. Back then it was usually an American Girl, or a Magic Attic, or a My Twinn, or one of the bazillion knockoffs that were popular in the 1990s. Now that I'm in the BJD hobby, I'm lucky enough to have received a few as gifts from family.