1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Receiving doll on "bad" day...does this change your attitude toward it?

Jun 14, 2012

1. {I looked for a thread similar to this one but couldn't find one; if it is a repeat I'm sorry and please delete!}

I was wondering if anyone has experienced receiving one of their dolls on a difficult day and if the circumstances changed your feelings toward the doll at all.

This question came to me because I received one of my dolls on a very bad day for our family. This caused me to half-heartedly name it and set it aside. This was a little over two weeks ago.

So, my questions are:

Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?

Did this affect the way you felt toward the doll?

If there was a change in feelings toward the doll, were they good are bad?

2. Yes it does. I don't open dolls on a bad day! I learned from past experience I make a fast decision on the negative side. A few days later when my mood changes I have a totally different take.
      I think this is the same with faceups too, if you get one back you don't love give it a day see how you feel about it the next day!

And yes my feelings can change for the good when I feel more balanced.
      Of course there is times the feeling never changed as the doll just didn't feel right in my hands in someway off and that didn't change, in which case I sold the doll.

3. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life? Yep, oddly enough even though I got his head and his body on separate days, they were both kind of bad days for me. Lots of stress and sadness.

Did this affect the way you felt toward the doll? Not at all, honestly it really brightened up my day coming home to find a package that I've waited for, for months. :]

If there was a change in feelings toward the doll, were they good are bad? No real changes, I was just cheered up immensely and it honestly made me love him even more. So I'd definitely say good.

4. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?
      Yes! I got my Soom FC Amber on a horrible day. I was sick and had a terrible day at work, had to lug that box on the subway...by the time I got home I was soooo sick I couldn't even look at it. I peeked in the box and posted a simple box opening to try and cheer myself up but it was still soooo unenthusasitc about it. She stayed wrapped up in her box =/

It completely sapped my enthusiasm for working with her. This doll has HUGE plans behind her that I've been working on for months. I got a custom designed costume from Nalisinko, and a gorgeous custom crown with resin antlers from Brighnasa, a fantastic wig by Happy Camille and gorgeous new eyes for her... Despite all that prep work, I didn't even want to bother stringing her parts together. I knew I'd have to send her off for her faceup and blushing anyway so I'd have to take her apart, but still. I've NEVER had a doll before that I didn't put everything I had together ASAP just to get a sense of her. This doll I didn't even look at for weeks after receiving her. Actually, I just opened her box for the first time today to repack her fantasy parts and her head to send off for her faceup and blushing now that the faceup artist I like has a free commission slot. That's a long time for a doll this important (and expensive) to be sitting on the floor in my office in her shipper!

I ALMOST got grumpy enough to consider selling her =/ Which would have been a huge mistake! I finally am getting excited about her again now that I know she's headed off to the spa for her blushing and faceup! So my overall feeling of the doll hasn't changed (I just looked at her face--WOW, I love those ears! And her sad eyes!) It's lucky that my feelings for her weren't completely ruined. It's the closest I've ever come though to having my mood change my feelings toward a doll--I'm just so glad that I am seeing this project through until the end. If I still hate her after she's put together with the spectacular customizations that I have for her then I think I'll just have to quit the hobby altogether! :lol:

5. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?

Indeed I have.

Yes. My day was terrible, and I was hurting both mentally and physically, but then my mailman came BACK after his route was done to see if I'd come home yet, and told me "I had a feeling this was special and couldn't wait til tomorrow, so I doubled back because I know you get home around the time I deliver." After I got done squealing all over him, he gave me the box with a flourish. :)

GOOD. I love my little Pipos Curo and I'll never sell him! He was what I needed on that terrible day and turned my outlook right round.

6. Ah, It's nice to know that dolls can bring good feelings on bad days! (OpheliaB... you must have the nicest postman I've ever heard of!)

It's also good to know that if I just wait my feelings toward my doll may change for the better. For me, it was just unfortunate that I had just finished opening the box and pulling her out when I got the phone call with the bad news. She was in my hand and suddenly...it just all changed.

My daughters keep talking to me about her and even keep calling her the cynical name i gave her at the time. (They think it's cute and want me to eventually add sisters and brothers with similar-themed names... have to love the innocence of childhood!)

Thanks for sharing your stories!

7. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?
      My new girl came in on a day I watched 10 of my coworkers get fired. Thankfully I wasn't one of them but it was not a good day. I saw a lot of my friends lose their only source of income. It was not a good day. I also had to wait in line in the post office for 45 minutes because they couldn't find her.

No. I tend to be able to shut down emotions so they won't spill onto areas of my life where they shouldn't be. I leave my bad day at work you know? Plus, dolls are a happy place for me, I won't let a bad day kill my joy.

Doesn't apply.

8. This happened to me once and I never bonded with the doll as a result.

I ended up not liking the doll, I got her straight from the company naked and blank and put her back in the box for a month. Then when I took her out again I ended up putting her up for sale in the marketplace and she was rehomed.

9. Oh lord, yes. I miss him so much. In my row house, my friends moved in on the other side (it was three in a row) and after a bit, he figured out that one of us was always home in the afternoon and that we could all sign for each other's packages since we had keys to each other's places, and take mail for each other when on vacation and such. And he knew if there was an EMS slip, I wanted that box posthaste! Needless to say, cookies and thank you notes and such usually found their way inside my mailbox for him, hahaha. He got transferred to another route after about a year, though. Miss him terribly. </3

10. It's funny how a package can brighten a day. I can be having a terrible day when I'll hear a beep which means our postal lady is coming up the drive with a package and the day brightens. The package doesn't even have to be for me but if it is AND it's a doll, well then the whole day just became shiny.

That said, some bad days nothing will help and on days like that I usually set the package aside and open it another day...or when I finally can't stand it anymore and HAVE to see what's in it. :)

Dolls make me happy.

11. No, getting a doll on a bad day would make the day better. They are a great comfort to me so it may even help bonding. If it ruins the box opening for you I'd say wait 'til you're in a better mood, we pay a lot for these dolls and wait a long time for them, nothing should come between you and ruin it.

12. Jacobean, I only wish I had the option of opening the box later. As it was, I had just finished opening the box and was holding the doll in my hand looking at her when I got the call with the bad news.

If the call had come first, I would have certainly waited until later!

13. I can only imagine that finally getting my doll would at least make me a little happier for the moment. I don't think I'm wired in a way that would make completely unrelated experiences ruin my expensive, new doll for me. From my point of view, on a really bad day, I've also done thousands of other things, like eat a salad, wash my face, watch a certain tv show... why would I magically hate the doll and not all of those other things I did on a particularly bad day?

14. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?
      Yes and I had once received a doll that caused a bad day. I was so happy one of my dolls arrived that I rushed down the stairs to get to the door. (We have a mailman that leaves after a minute and it takes two minutes to get to the door from my room) I was already feeling unwell and slipped. I fell down the stairs and broke my ankle.

Yes, pretty much. First I was totally unhappy with the doll (a soom female-heliot), even hating it, but later I decided to get over it and make her the way I wanted.

Bad first, later good. I just sold the Heliot because she was too big for me.

15. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?

Yep, it was the day where they would tell my boyfriends mother about what type of cancer she had... And if treatment was actually an option at all. He would get a call somewhere in the evening and then contact me about what to do that weekend. I had promised to go with him to his parents house if the news was very bad, to support him and to help his family out with the household.

When I got home from work I found that my roommate had taken my long-awaited packed containing my Bluefairy Tommy head, meant for a body that was headless for a good 6 months! I was happy because he was send without tracking, but made it safely to my house anyway, without import taxes and with my roommate at home to accept the parcel! But despite the fact that I had put a little suitcase with his eyes, wig and clothes ready for him for days, I just wasn't as excited as before. I remember just feeling dreaded about it because my boyfriend would surely ask how my day had been, and I didn't... feel like I should be happy today because it was such a sad day to his family. I care about both of his parents too, so the worry about the phone call just kind of ruined the excitement of the arrival.

Yes, I didn't allow myself to feel all that excited about it, because it felt so wrong on a sad day like that one. I decided to not tell my boyfriend about the arrival and put the head away for a couple of days until I had time to face-up it. It turned out there was 'good' news after all; his mother had a very treatable type of cancer and there was still hope for her, so after that I could allow myself to feel a little bit more excited about him.

Well, despite the fact that there's not a gloomy cloud hanging above my boyfriend and his family anymore, I still don't feel all that good towards the doll. He was damaged and is currently still in pieces. I do have oceans of time to finish him but I can't put myself to it =/

16. Hmm, this is kind of difficult for me to answer because my "bad days" are usually not caused by any particular thing, but by fluctuating chemicals inside my rather messed-up brain that cause me to feel very strong anxiety or misery. That way, I can't really take my mind off the bad day, because it's happening inside my head. Also putting off opening the doll isn't really an option for me because many doll companies oblige you to report back quickly with problems or damage, and I never know how long my bad days are going to last for so I just have to get on with it.

But I have had a doll body arrive on one of these days, which would make my Moon, Felix, complete. All the time while unpacking him, putting his head on, dressing him and taking pictures I was feeling this leaden sense of anxiety and misery, simply because my brain sucks and wants to kill me. It was awful knowing I should be so happy, and ordinarily I would be, except for this horrible thing wrong with my head.

However! Because this sort of thing is such a common occurrence for me, it didn't adversely affect my relationship with Felix. Now I adore him. It's only when I look at the pictures I took that day that I feel sad, and very irritated with myself (or rather with the problems in my brain). The rest of the time, though, it doesn't affect me at all. It was just one day, a bad day like any other, and it doesn't have a bearing on the rest of my time with him.

17. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?

Indeed, my Soulkid Tiffee! But that was to be expected, as I'd bought her in a very stressful, dark time in my life in order to take my mind of all the bad days!

Did this affect the way you felt toward the doll? If there was a change in feelings toward the doll, were they good are bad?

Definitely in a positive way. To me, she became sort of a symbol that no matter how hard life gets, you can always find joy and comfort in the little things. So I will never, ever sell her. I feel like she's been my patient companion in good times and bad, so... til death do us part! ;)

18. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?
      I have never gotten one on a day where I suffered a serious personal loss or bad news, but I have received them on days where a lot of bad little things happened.

Well the event of a doll arriving means a good mail day, and everyone likes a good mail day. I don't think it has changed my opinion of a doll itself, I've only ever hated one doll upon arrival and that was on a neutral day.

It may have made me like a doll a bit more, but it wasn't a measurable phenomenon nor did it tie me to a doll longer than its due course.

19. I haven't received a doll when having a particularly miserable day, but for me I'd imagine it would make my day a little bit brighter to have a doll arrive!

20. Have you ever received a doll on a "bad" day in your life?

I got a call in the middle of picking a doll up from Volks USA last weekend, telling me that my dad had just had a stroke. There were several extremely tense hours until we heard that he was ok, and a few stressful days after that until they finally released him from the hospital after figuring out that, despite all the doctors thinking it was a stroke, it was actually a reaction to his blood pressure medication that seemed very much like a stroke.

Not particularly. Had it ended up being something really bad, the situation might have been different.