1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

regretting your first doll?

Mar 11, 2020

1. I look at my doll that I just got in February, and I don’t regret anything, I love his sculpt, I love my character for him and so on.

Now looking at your collection, did you regret getting the doll you did for your first? I don’t have an answer obviously lol but whoever has more then one doll, a small collection or big, has been collecting for years or even just months,Did you regret the sculpt? And do you still have him/her?
      I’m not sure what my answer would be in the years to come!

2. I've popped in and out of this hobby a few times, and the style I want changes every time. My very first doll was a Soom Laon. I didn't know he wasn't quite the doll for me until I bought a second doll and had to look at the two styles side by side. Now that both my partner and I have cycled through a few dolls, I look at photos of my old Laon and I know I would not choose to buy him today. I think narrowing down your taste can be part of the fun and frustration of collecting BJDs. Great question!

3. I regretted my first doll. She was very stylized and not really a standard size as she wore msd bottom, yosd tops, and her head was nearly the size of an SD. Plus I purchased her blank because I figured I could paint her myself and I was WRONG. So she was blank and mostly naked for like a year before I traded her. I think I only had one dress that fit her. After purchasing my second doll I learned to either commission others for faceups or purchase a company one, and that I don't really like those stylized dolls.

4. I agonized over which sculpt to buy for my first, since I was shelling a character. I modded her quite a lot after buying, but no matter how many other dolls I get I still smile every time I look at her.

5. Would I choose my first doll again today? No. If money had been no issue back then, would I have still chosen him? No. Do I wonder how different my collection would look today if the doll who started it all had instead been the more expensive one I was really into at the time? Yes.

I don’t regret buying him, but I don’t regret selling him either.

6. I don't regret my first doll, and I've had him for about 16 years now. :XD: He's still one of my favourites, if not my most favourite, and I play with him quite regularly.

7. Sort of, if only because she was extremely complex and non-standard and it was a lot to take in for a new new new newbie. My first BJD was Doll Chateau Carol, and the thin tiny elastic channels combined with the unique anatomy and the fact that no non-custom clothing could ever fit her... It was a frustrating few days, and I thought I broke her multiple times.

I also learned later that I don't really like tiny dolls like that, but I don't regret that part of getting her. I figure I came to that realization through owning her...

8. I don't regret the first doll I purchased, which was a Volks DDI. A year later I got a CP VDES head sculpt to hybridize on the body, which was my original intention since I decided to get a feel for large "BJD." I still own them; my Volks' DDI is sixteen-plus-years and my CP VDES is over fifteen. I originally only wanted one male vampire BJD, but those were rare and pretty much all sold out, or LE that were out of my budget besides not being to my liking, so I never got any vampire male sculpts. Even so, I don't regret any of my BJD purchases, but I do wish I had known that some companies making BJD were going to expand to more realistic-ish sculpts and smaller options for mature ones as well, I wouldn't own the (few) BJD that I do today (I would own even less of them) However, I don't regret them and would never sell any of them as complete dolls -- I did sell a body once because I didn't do anything with the doll, but I can never part with the head sculpts I modified. (:

9. Even though my first BJD is no longer a part of my crew, that doesn't mean I regretted choosing her as my first. Sure, I might have ended up saving more in the long run if I assembled her current incarnation at a later date, but my now-rehomed Impldoll Azalea did help me become comfortable with the hobby. It would be a different experience altogether if I got my hybrid Granado Michael (the oldest of the crew still in the original form) as my first doll. Apart from some proportion and color issues, he required some help with his stringing to reach his full posing potential. I would have felt overwhelmed by those challenges, and may have even put me off from the hobby for a while, if I hadn't handled Azalea beforehand.

10. No, I still love him. He's a pretty little jerk.

I do however kinda regret a later purchase because she just didn't end up working the way i'd hoped. I'll reshell her character at some point, it's just a pain finding something that WILL work. *sigh*

11. I don't regret my first doll, but I definitely wouldn't have chosen him if I had more options at the time (and I wouldn't choose him if I was buying my first doll today). I bought him because he was in my price range and I liked his fullset, but I've never really liked his face sculpt! I prefer more realistic faces. I love him all the same, though, and wouldn't ever sell him.

12. I'm in the same boat as a few other people in here. I absolutely don't regret her, but if money hadn't been a concern or I had other options I probably wouldn't have chosen her. That said shes still one of my favorites and I doubt I'd ever sell her because I'm a big sentimental baby.

13. My first was a CP/Luts Delf Moon. I chose him over several others I was considering because of the locking neck mechanism that made removing his head a breeze. I still have him and have never regretted buying him, although I did give him an upgrade to a Fairyland F70 body.
      The only thing I really regret was buying him in white skin, since his head has taken on the infamous Luts beauty green cast, so I can’t ever get him another body (like an F65 body which I really wanted to do) due to serious resin mismatch. lol

14. I liked my first doll, but I got rid of it because it was the wrong size to go with my later doll purchases. The company has the same sculpt in MSD and SD size, and I went for MSD but soon figured out it was the wrong size for me. I would still want to have the doll in SD size, but I've been unable to bring one back home even though they are still being manufactured.

15. i dont regret buying my first doll. but if given a 2nd chance i will not buy him since there are far more beautiful sculpts around. if only i have studied all different sculpts and took some time before buying my first doll, i would've made better choices. but i still love him though. and intend to keep it

16. Not for a second! I got her in june of 2018, and i have 2 more now. Shes still by far my favorite. Shes still just as beautiful and adorable as the day i got her. Shes also still by far my best poser to. I cant see myself selling her ever.

17. Yes and no. I got a Dollzone BB Jing (back in that year there weren't many companies yet and this guy was in stock at the local dealer). The size was too small for me, the body posed badly, I quickly moved to MSD and then SD only. But he's the one that made me love this hobby. He went anywhere with me. Sold him after a few years though.

Now I also have YoSD's who I love but my fav size is SD.

18. Somewhat. If I was able to at the time, I wouldn't have picked him and I wouldn't have picked him even today. In fact I found a better sculpt to reshell him into, though of course it was a limited and will take some time to find second hand. If I can get my hands on a replacement I might just give him to a friend or turn him into another character. I don't really regret him though as without him I don't think I would have really gotten into the hobby at all, but he's never really suited me or the character I've bought him to be. I've also always wanted SDs and now that I have one, well... I know what I want now haha.

19. I don’t regret him. I sold him recently, but there isn’t any regret there. He made me happy when I got into the hobby, and he wasn’t what I wanted years later, but he sure went a long way towards paying off a doll I’d always wanted.

20. I still love my first doll. I’m not sure that I can part with her, even if I starve to death. She is Dollmore Alex 46 cm (we call her Sanya or Sashka) - she is not quite standard with the figure of a thirteen-year-old girl - it is practically impossible for me to find clothes that fit her (it is either large or small), so I mostly make clothes for her myself.

It was a spontaneous purchase. Although before that, I had long been hatching the idea of buying a doll. This is my only doll with full body blushing. I especially love her nails on her arms and legs - they are perfectly painted. So - no, I have no regrets about buying this doll. She will forever remain my first love, although I also love the rest of my dolls and I never want to part with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]