1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Resale Overprice (foreal)

Jul 14, 2009

?
  1. Yes. I have done this before

2. Yes. I have not done this before

3. No. I have done this before

4. No. I have not dont this before

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. :lol: Bravo for this. Yes, it's so -- oh, what's the buzzword of the month -- "transparent," isn't it? :lol:

Now, see, this I personally have an issue with. (not at you, avacado, just at the concept). Because if I'm buying a doll from anywhere other than the manufacturer or a distributor, that means I'm buying a USED item.

Here, let me sell you my 1995 Plymouth for 14K :D

Yes, I realize that's not really a good analogy. But I just can't bring myself to list for-sale dolls for retail price if they're not brand-new. Nor can I justify in any way, shape or form charging someone else for the cost *I* paid to have the doll shipped to me.

There ARE some exceptions, of course, as others have mentioned. Some dolls are incredibly rare and hey, people really won't mind paying more. But for a readily-available sculpt, in this market? I'd feel really BAD if I tried to get full price out of it.

That's just me, though. I certainly understand that other's mileage may vary. :)

2. YES YES YES and freakin YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or worse yet, I found a seller selling a partialy sanded down doll, that she admitted she had lost interest in continuing the mods and so it was disclored, listed for 530$ I made her a 250 offer and she acted like I had just pissed in her Cheerios. Seriously WHY on Earth would I pay full price for a damaged doll that was still available pristine from the company.

My momma raised no stupid girls...

3. I usually price dolls based on what I think they're worth and what the market will bear. If I have a doll that's in like-new condition I'll probably sell it for about what I paid for it, less shipping because if someone wanted to pay shipping they could order a new one.

Limited dolls tend to go up in value because there are more people who want them, and are willing to pay lots for them, than there are dolls. They CAN'T just go buy a new one.

Honestly, I think people can price dolls for sale however they want. If their pricing isn't reasonable, usually the doll won't sell.

I do think it's pretty skeezy to buy a limited doll for the express intent of selling it at a profit, the same way I think scalping concert tickets is skeezy. You're taking advantage of fans of something for your own monetary gain. But if you bought a doll with the intent to keep it and for whatever reason end up selling it I don't see the problem in getting the market value for it. And I know that's a very fine line that can be hard to draw -- I generally only consider someone a scalper if they REGULARLY buy limiteds and then immediately resell them at a markup.

4. Unforunately, 'fair' has nothing to do with economics or the ways of the world.
      If you (general you) aren't willing to pay the asking price, don't pay it. But don't get personally offended if someone else IS willing to pay that price.

Lets say there are X number of items (dolls) on the market, no more will be made. The others are in private collections. Lets make the value of X = 10. So 10 dolls. Now lets say the doll was very popular...many people wanted it but there was a limit to the # sold or time they were available..so we'll say there are 200 people who want the doll.
      If you (general) are one of those 200 people, you have to compete with 199 other people for one of 10 available dolls.
      If the supply is greater than demand, your price is lower. This is a very rough generalization as to why readily available dolls usually go for amounts about equal to, or slightly lower than, their original retail cost. Greater supply than demand.

If the demand is greater than the supply (limiteds and discontinued items), your price will be high. Remember that scenario with the 200 people and 10 dolls? Well lets say the doll originally went for $700. Now we have 200 people who want it. One goes up for auction, ends up selling at around $1600. Now we have 9 available. Sellers see the first one go for a high value, so price theirs at relatively similar pricing. The 9 remaining people who are willing to pay the most get the item.

Sellers don't establish a market price generally. Buyers do. If an item won't sell (lets say a theoretical seller priced something at $4000...no one buys) the seller has to either keep the item up in hopes that the market value with increase that high, or the seller lowers their price.
      If the doll is selling at $1600, a person would be an idiot to price their item lower (assuming the doll was in the same condition of course)

The only place 'fairness' comes into all this is in regard to the sellers rights to do what they want with their own things. Is it fair to expect someone to sell at a price lower than market value? No.

I may not like 'scalping' and 'flipping'..but I support it.
      Have I done this? No. Have I paid more than 2x a dolls retail to get one on the secondhand market? Yes. Would I do so again? If I thought the doll was worth it..yes I would.

5. The set of mind that 'any price is right so long as somebody out there is willing to pay it' and not to whine like a complainy Janey about it can be applied to other situations as well.

What about in an economy where only the richest, like, say, nobility, can 'afford' to buy good food, or achieve a nice standard of living, and 90% of the population is rather poor? Can't afford clean water, or good medicine? If you can't afford it, that's not the economy's problem, and you shouldn't complain about the 'unfairness'. If it's worth it, you'd pay for it, or find a way, right? Even if you have to, say, work 12 hours a day seven days a week and have your children sent to work, or some other ridiculous crap.

This is, of course, a completely RIDICULOUS comparison. These are just expensive toys after all, this is hardly a huge ethical dilemma. But why get so annoyed and uppity about people who dislike double-priced dolls and 'scalpers' on the market, and similar things? They feel it's kind of unfair; it's not a crime, or wrong to have their own opinions about what they feel is fair or right.

ali

6. I have sold a doll head for more than her Volks purchase price. It was a completely reasonable price, especially compared to other sellers at the time, so I don't see anything wrong with it.

If you buy a doll solely with the purpose to resell immediately, then that's wrong. I didn't buy the head ever intending to sell her, we just didn't bond. I think the morality all lies in your intentions, which unfortunately can't ever be proven.

7. In my case? It's the lack of perspective, to be honest with you. Much as I love them, my dolls are not a need -- like food, or shelter, and so on. It's a little beyond just being a ridiculous comparison, and into the category of 'two very different things'.

If someone has lost the perspective that these are luxury goods, and that as luxury goods, they're going to be precisely that -- a luxury they can have if they can afford to have it -- it might be time to step back a bit.

You're describing things that have major popular interest, and there is still plenty of conflict about whether everyone should be entitled to eat regularly, or have a roof over their head, and so on. If someone wants to start a 'dolls for everybody!' campaign, I doubt it's going to get the same level of support (though admittedly I think we'd live in a much more entertaining world if that happened!). Feeling that one is entitled to not die in the street is a little different from 'can have every little thing one's heart desires'.

8. Blame the buyers. If someone is willing to pay the inflated price, the sellers are going to keep offering the crazy prices. If everyone waits for a sensible price, sellers have to keep costs down. This is the way of market forces across the world, it is nothing new. It is also neither fair nor unfair, it's just the way it is :) These dolls aren't a right, they're a luxury. Some people can afford to pay over the odds for a doll, some people can't and I'm sorry, but that is the same for all luxury items everywhere. It's sad but true.

9. A-freakin-men! :thumbup

In the past I sold things at special pricing to people and watched them turn around mark the item up to market price and resell it without a blink. I don't do that anymore. That profit could have been in my doll money piggy bank instead and why shouldn't it? I don't sell dolls and their accessories very often and I'm not running a charity.

That said, I will sell items at the same price I paid for them if it's brand new but if I've had the item a while and the current market value is higher, you better believe I'll start there.

10. This thread has become fairly interesting, I find a lot of opinions saying similar things to how I feel and I adore the way some of you put things.

My god this is a perfect analogy! (it really made me laugh too) If I suffer a loss of value while owning a doll then I can consider that as the rent I pay for the period in which I have enjoyed that doll's company, however if I happen to sell a doll for more than I paid for it (never happened but I have sold clothes for more) then I have been lucky to spend time with that doll, and lucky to have profited from being its caretaker before it has gone to its next time. Using this layby theory maybe we can consider the markup storage fees? something like that?

I hate to say it but entitlement complexes are running rampant in society, and tend to be worse in luxury hobbies like BJD ownership. In modern society people are taught a lot about their rights, but nothing about their responsibilities. They end up not understanding the difference to entitlement and privilege.

You have the right to enjoy your hobby within your means.
      You have the right to love whichever dolls you love.
      you have the right to sell and buy dolls according to your budget and desires within the bounds of the law and forum rules.

You MAY have the privilege to own your dream doll, but then you may have the misfortune not to.
      You MAY have the privilege to purchase a doll at the factory release price, but you may have the misfortune to have to pay a price dictated by the economic principles of supply and demand and you may also have the misfortune of not being able to afford your dream doll at all

owning the doll you want is a privilege, being able sell a doll you own and paid for at a price you set is a right (part of the rights of ownership see?)

I am NOT saying I like when scalpers go and buy out limiteds as an investment just to resell them later at inflated prices, however it is within their rights to do so. Is it wrong? no. Is it something that we doll lovers LIKE? or even should like? no again, we have the right not to like it, but that does not change the seller's right to do it It is their privilege to own the doll and their right as the owner to sell it for a price they set, or not to sell it at all.

After all that ranting I want to add that I also hate seeing the owners of dolls feeling the need to justify the sale. My doll, I want to sell it, the reasons I am selling are MY reasons, if you want to buy what does my reason for selling have to do with it unless the doll is faulty in which case I will tell you that as part of transparency in a transaction.

*gets off high horse now, brushes it down, puts it back in the stable till the next trot out*

11. Unless its a LE or something Sold Out, no, I don't think it's particularly ok.

I usually start at 75% of what I paid for something. I think normal wear and tear is going to bring it down that much by itself.

But, I take my stand by just not buying anything I think is over priced.

12. Yep, it's ok to say that you should resell for the money you paid, but if you were the one who had happened to buy say a Volks Madoka - that frequently resells for $3000 or won the lottery for a Bermann which have sold for up to $6000 - would you be reselling for the price you paid if you decided you no longer wanted to keep the doll? And if you did, how would you feel if the person turned around a month later and resold the doll for market value? It's fine to say that you'll only sell to a friend who will look after the doll, but it's amazing how often when it comes time to sell, the person looks to get market value. Even though I resold Sard and Beryl for a profit, they are the only two dolls I have ever made a profit on. I still consider that overall I'm behind in regards to this hobby. Personally I don't care, I don't buy dolls for resale and I think it would be risky for people who did. As for why people make excuses for reselling dolls - look at some of the responses on this thread. When I first started in this hobby, I felt that it was wrong to resell dolls for a profit and I deliberately didn't charge market value for a limited doll only to see it back on the market in less than a month at double the price I'd sold it for. Now that leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

13. I do have a problem with buying a very limited doll for the sole purpose of reselling it after arrival, without even opening the box, for the sole purpose of profit. I dont know why I feel this way, i would not have any problem if you would substitute the word doll for some other commercially sold object like "peanuts". If you ask me if it is ok to buy peanuts and then resell them at a higher price, id have no problems at all. Perhaps it is the human shape that makes me feel this way.

What would really, really bug me is if i sold a doll to someone for lets say 300 and i would see them reselling within a couple of days for 600. That would bug me.

However, the price of all collectable objects can increase or decrease over time. Basically, collectables are worth what someone is willing to pay.

If someone has bought a doll for themselves, decides she cant bond or needs to sell for other reasons and the market value has gone up. I have no problem at all with asking more.

If you ask a ridicoulous price, no one will be willing to buy anyway.

I have for as far as I can recall, never priced a doll up, but did pay more for limiteds.

14. I'm a doll lover, and I actually love that people do it. :sweat Why? Because it ensures that someday I can get a new limited doll that I want. To some people it doesn't matter if it's new or used, but for me with some special dolls, it does.

So the idea of "Buy, not bond, sell." isn't what I'd go for if I had a choice, as it is still a used doll. Without resellers I'd never be able to find a new, in the box, never played with, 4 year old model of a doll I want. I am honestly thankful to such people. :aheartbea

15. This is completely true.
      I have bought dolls which I could not get directly from the companies (due to various reasons) at what some other posters of this thread are calling "ridiculous" prices. I have sold dolls at very discounted prices - I had sold a LE doll for $200 less than what I had paid because no one wanted him in 2009. I had given a head out for FREE since NO ONE WANTED him and he was originally highly sought after when he was made.

So it is then also "unfair" in those cases when the dolls lose their value??

There are many business practices which people may consider them to be unfair, but that is life.

(example, as Korean Wen gone down in value, a few companies changed their prices listed in USD. Others did not, so in reality, they are getting 22% more money after the currency exchange since April of last year.... so is that fair?? )

Rikka_Mika I agree, some Japanese collectors keep their doll in mint condition, so to me it is worth it (the extra money is the interest for holding the doll and stand in doll at Dolpa LOL)

16. I really feel it depends on the situation. I don't agree on people buying a stack of limiteds just so they can then sell the off straight afterwards for a ridiculous price.. I hate scalping.

However, I do believe the value of the doll can fluctuate, especially with Dollshe's which I have a hankering for hehe.

I guess you couldn't really prove someone was a scalper unless they did it all the time. I don't want to stick my perspective on others in this, I just know that personally I sell mine for what I paid for them if I decided I didn't want them anymore.

17. Of course not. ;) Because people don't care about that. You selling things cheaper than their value isn't stopping them from what they want right this very second with no waiting and saving needed! :XD: So it's totally alright!

In most cases that is impossible, buying 'stacks' of limiteds. :sweat I am only aware of two companies who will allow someone to purchase more than 1 of a limited doll.

18. To me, it depends on the person's take on reselling at a higher value. Personally I haven't bought a second-hand doll for more than the original price, but I understand why some dolls sell for more than they originally cost - the supply-and-demand thing.

However, I disapprove when I see people selling limited edition dolls (often seen with Soom MDs) for double price or similar, where they never have been in use, but just have been in the box. That seems like too much speculation for me! I think it's fair to sell your beloved doll for how much you think it's worth, not hoarding/scrounging dolls with the only purpose being later resale.
      For example, I would much rather buy e.g. a Euclase that the owner seemed to have used/faceupped/played with, than I would buy one that only had been in storage, and 'never used'. Of course, there are exceptions where people buy a doll, and never get around to do anything about them, and then choose to sell them, as they know they will not get around to do what intended. But I have seen sales threads with handfuls of limiteds, that were in a *very* unused state. I think that's too cold calculation for my taste. Of course, what people do with their things and money, even scrounging, is of their own business, but I do not like the cold calculation in it.

19. Supply and demand! You would not sell an item that appreciated 10x's its value for the original price "just to be nice". This is not a debate topic.
      This is about what some one thinks is wrong or right. There is no wrong or right answer.

20. I suppose you could also look at it a different way. Perhaps when a limited was released, a person didn't have the money to buy it. Wanted to, but couldn't. Then, a year or so later, finances have stabilized, they have the money, and someone decides to sell that LE doll. For the chance of getting something that was really wanted, but for whatever reason couldn't when it was actually released, most people would pay the markup. It's like a second chance at a dream doll.