1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Restringing Tales

Mar 14, 2018

1. I'm not a fan of restringing tbh, mostly because I usually have all my pieces laid out, I'm very careful, take it slow, I think everything is going great, and then I'm done and...I realize one of the legs is...upside down...:doh

2. I try restringing my 'easy-to-restring' dolls (2 MSDs + 1 Yo-SD) about once a year and I feel like I never do it right xD
      Honestly, I'm not sure what I do wrong, because I always follow the indications of the company in terms of lenght and so. Maybe is because of the string I use, that it's an old one. Or maybe I just can't find the right tension.
      In any case, they always end up floppy or kicky or some weird in between.
      With the 'hard-to-restring' ones (3 tiny anthros) I haven't even tried since they got home because they seem okay (not completely true but I can manage) and I don't want to mess them up like I do with the rest.
      I really need to try sueding and even wiring, but I never seem to find the free time to do it.

3. I developed Dupuytren Contracture from hard hand work, at work, contrary to it be hereditary because mine is not, it's painful in the palm.

I was pulling off my dolls head to restring her then something snapped in my palm and it bled under the skin and Boom no more pain since!

normally it's hard to resting a doll for me but after that day, it became easier! ;)

4. Mostly its a struggle, but felt so smart yesterday realizing I could use a needle and thread to help get elastic through really small channels

5. FYI for US collectors - there's a store in Iowa called CR's Crafts. They sell 12-inch and 15-inch restringing tools for less than $3 (plus shipping/sales tax).

6. I had an S hook hit me in the face once when I was stringing… it was a bit of a shock to say the least. I actually restrung a doll for the first time in maybe 2 years the other week and as I was doing so I thought I’d lost one of the thigh pieces and ended up turning my living room upside down looking for it only to find I’d left it attached to the leg *_*

I have an older Soom body that I could never work out how to string properly and it took me weeks to work out how to get tension just right on it so now it’s never getting unstrung :XD:

The body from my first doll is unstrung in a box in my room and it really needs restringing but somehow every time I try to do it I end up getting very frustrated :| I really need to give it another go soon~

#67 Jareth, Jun 20, 2023
      Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    7. Restringing stories? I'm usually very careful but

(Painful injury warning)

I had one s-hook jam um under my thumbnail and be pushed there by the elastic and I had no help so I had to get my pliers to get enough slack to free myself. Then I ran outside and grabbed snow, and jammed it around my poor thumb. OH it hurt.