1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ribs on dolls

Dec 31, 2010

1. i dunno, most of my friends have ribs stocking out. in fact, i think you have to be overweight or have a childish body built to not have it... maybe it's a cultural thing.
      i consider ribs in BJD looking fairly realistic, i don't think i ever saw one i didn't like.

this

2. You definitely do not have to be overweight/"childish" to not have your ribs showing.

3. Ribby dolls, to me, scream, "EAT MORE."

Some sculptors do make it look natural, even attractive with the right muscle definition, but others have taken it to a point that makes me just shake my head. I don't want boys that look like they do nothing but drink water and do sit-ups and girls that look like starving breast implants.

It's not pretty, and I'm glad so many dolls exist that don't look like that.

4. Ribs sticking out have actually been deal-breakers for me, personally, in choosing a body. I don't like the under-nourished ribs sticking out on boys or girls. I do have a Crobi M-line who has visible ribs, but they're subtle and only make him look lean and wirey, but not under-fed. The others only show in a muscular sort of way. But then, I come from a large Norse/German heritage and wisible ribs aren't exactly prevelent in my well-rounded family!

5. they are not just ribs on the newer more fitted boy dolls, they are often an artist's attempt to sculpt realism

what you are seeing is a common way to show muscle and how they look over human upper rib cage - same concepts can be seen here. These are well defined muscles and bones

yeap, the good old David

[​IMG]

pieta
      http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii91/ayanokouji/michelangelo-pieta.jpg

Both by Michelangelo

6. Chae-ri doesn't have rib definition so much, although she does have very prominent collarbones. On her torso she just has a slight suggestion of a ribcage indention.

I don't think dolls really need that much torso detail. I mean, dolls, come on. I don't even insist on boybits or ladybits (although nipples are, for me, an absolute must).

7. I don't mind the rib muscles being pronounced even, if its a very muscular doll, such as an EID or something, but when you have something like... oh... A DoI from Dream of Doll where he's just so SKINNY and there's just way too MUCH muscle showing for my personal taste, it just looks.... "Please... Eat a BigMac..... Eat FIVE. Something. Someone FEED THIS MAN."

But that's me, I'm sure those who OWN DoI boys just adore their bodies. Personally.... I'd have to mod his body a bit smoother and more.... Fleshed out. I'd say fill in, rather than sand down. Not that I still don't crave a Kalix (dream doll) that I would give a left arm for.

8. Oh... I just saw a skinny boy doll with prominent ribs...!!! (I think it was a Doll Family boy.)

Hmm... no... I don't like the look. I don't have any male dolls sculpted that way. I don't think I'd buy a body like that that...

Michaelangelo... I love his sculpts! His males don't look anorexic. :D

I don't think my EID guy looks like he's starving--
      [​IMG]

9. Doesn't bother me.

10. I don't like the ribs. Most of the time it just looks odd and out of place.
      When I first got my Angel of Dream body I didnt notice his ribs sticking out, but since its got its proper head on, I have. Because the doll does have good muscle definition, but hes got fairly large ribs sticking out too, it looks really strange to me. But then I have never seen anyone besides malnourished people who have ribs showing like that. Actually, I know a boy who looks malnourished most of the time, and even he doesnt have ribs sticking out like my doll does.

11. I LOVE ribs, muscular though not waifish.

12. Yeah, that's kinda how my Crobi boys looks.
      The ribs still show even with all of the muscle definition.

Though, like you said, It looks fine on your boy.
      He's all like "Come get me!"

13. Unfortunately as much as I don't like ribs, I don't mind them on my crobi boy.
      He can't wear tight clothes unfortunately.
      However if it's not the RIBS poking through the shirt.
      It's his nipples x'D