1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Rude Reactions to Your Dolls?

Nov 17, 2022

1. Sometimes people ask me if my dolls haunt me or something along those lines. Why would they want to hurt or scare me if I show them affection every time I see them? Still people say rude things when they come in my home and see my dolls.

I warn rude people that insulting a doll within the doll's earshot will result in the Doll Curse. It's very serious and hard to get rid of! :shudder

2. "OMG, you own so many dolls! You could start your own store! Are you going to sell them all for a big profit?"
      No. I'm going to hoard them.
      "Why don't you sell them?"
      Because they're pretty, and I like to look at them.
      Don't monetize my hobby, bro.

3. Have received a couple of the "why don't you sell them?" types of comments and these are probably what annoy me the most. I can understand people who are just not fans of dolls as long as they're not weird and rude about it, but I hate the idea that everything needs to make you money or be used for something that some people seem to have.

4. A friend I had in high school was so terrified of my Dollmore Liebe Klum that she insisted I put the doll away whenever she visited.
      I had a Dollmore pin that came with my girl on a jacket and when I let this friend borrow the jacket so she wouldn't get cold she freaked out when she saw the doll pin and made me take it off.
      Fortunately (for other reasons besides irrational hatred and fear of bjds) I am not friends with that person any more.

5. @CatWedding - nailed it. Like, do other people not have hobbies? Sometimes you just do stuff for fun, you know?

@castironteapot - that's beyond the pale ridiculous.

Actually, I met up with a couple dolly friends at a local Starbucks. We got a lot of stares, but I decided to be dolly ambassador. Every time I saw someone staring, I would wave them over and make them hold a doll. I warned them to use two hands with my Iplehouse Isabel, cuz she's a heavy girl (nSID). They were all astonished, a little shocked at how heavy she was, and delighted. I also had an off-topic plastic mini doll with me (a Penny's Box strung doll), and I had them all hold that one too. At $20, it's a great way to get a newbie into the hobby.

One fellow told me regretfully that he thought his daughter was too old for dolls (she appeared to be a teenager). I laughed and told him Isabel ran me almost $1K, and that his daughter probably wasn't old enough for these dolls.

I do feel a little guilty when they ask me if I made them. I wish, kind stranger. Oh, how I wish.

6. I have seen a lot of a knee-jerk fear reaction to dolls, mostly due to horror movies/books and the socialization of the fear of more detailed dolls.

7. I've been customizing quite a few dolls into character dolls, and I came to realize that my mother always has the same response when I show her progress photos (or do a photoshoot with a mostly finished custom). She always asks, "So when are you going to sell it?" Um...I'm not? I mean, I do this for fun and to learn more skills. Not everything has to be capitalism. Reading @MaleficentMrsofEvil and @CatWedding 's posts help me to see that this seems to be a fairly normal response (sadly).

8. "When are you going to sell your [insert their most precious possession]?" might work as a retort.

My answer is: you can sell them for me when I'm dead! But no one has asked me yet

9. I don't remember if I mentioned it when I had responded because I don't consider it rude specifically, just an obvious symptom of capitalism but I think almost every time a stranger wants to approach me about my doll if I have one I'm with in public they ask if I make them to sell. Usually it's a few questions and I already said I buy the base doll and do everything else like choose hair, make clothes and paint facial details etc, after that I just say "no, there is a large hobby for people who like to customize their own. There is not really a market for customized doll" (which yes there are exceptions if you are famous but anyway) it's interesting to see them kind of noodle on that. I figure I can let it be a friendly reminder to the world that creative expression exists for its own sake above anything else!

10. "When are you going to sell it?" - "Well, you see there are people who sell them and there are people who buy them, I'm one of those who buy them."

11. Thankfully my close friends have always been super supportive. Family and strangers on the other hand... not so much.
      I've gotten comments/questions such as:
      -"Eye their eyes are super creepy how they watch you"
      -"Don't you have enough already?"
      -"Why would you waste your money on a doll?"
      -"How can you sleep with them in your room?"
      -"You're not a child, get a grown-up hobby"
      -"You must be creepy since you have such a creepy hobby"
      -"Why are you showing me a toy? What a waste of my time."
      and so on...

At this point with most people I just stare at them and tell them my dolls are classier than they are and far less rude. That or I just ignore them completely and continue fawning over my doll children.

12. I actually can't sleep with my dolls in the room. But, I have that problem with anyone in the room with me unless they are also sleeping. I guess I also feel a little watched when I am with them and so I can understand people feeling wary.

But, telling me I'm wasting money or being a child? That's upsetting. Especially when I know they also have expensive hobbies.

Fortunately, that doesn't happen often and I usually take it as a bad day on their part. Unless its a constant complaint with them, I forget about it.

13. Awh, man, some of you guys have had some really rough experiences :(

I've had some friends and family offhandedly call them "creepy," but that's really it. I usually ask them "why?" in response, and all they can really say is "I don't like dolls," so I try to just tell myself they're not the audience for this hobby and that's fine. But it does kinda bother me if we're friends and you just up and say that, you know? It's like gee, thanks?:pout:

I've had much more anxiety over reactions to my off-topic baby dolls. I've seen a ton of hate on the internet towards people who have them, even from the BJD community, so not many friends of mine know I have three of those. (And the reason I have them was loneliness during the pandemic...I used to take care of some sweet kids every other week and then didn't see them for 2-3 years. The dolls helped me cope with that).

14. I don't think I've heard anything rude or had a rude reaction about my dolls, but i haven't been in the hobby long and i just started posting my dolls online recently. The only rude thing is long time ago I asked my mom if I could have a doll because I had this image of my mom of how I wanted her to be, but she wasn't really like that. It was I guess a protective coping mechanism maybe, so I really believed at the time she would buy me this doll because she said she would. This is before I realized nothing she says is reliable. Anyway she later went and told people I wanted a sex doll which I didn't even know what that was because I was young. Anyway that's how I learned there are dolls that exist for such things. I can't remember which doll it was. I think it was a Volks bjd.

15. @Forever We Are Young - oh, you just reminded me. If you use - I think it's Giphy? the website where you can post photos and hotlink them here for free - make sure you make those pictures 18+/NSFW, cuz hoo boy, did I get blowback posting a BJD nude body on there. It was right when I joined this forum, and I was trying to figure out what kind of doll I purchased (my first Angel of Dream body). I got tons of complaints about "camel toe" (it's plastic, people, calm down) and lots of angry replies to the tune of "HoW dArE yOu PoSt ThIs HeRe!." :roll:
      Ok, Nancy. Clutch them pearls while you surf for free pr0n.
      Now I have Flickr. Much easier. Tag stuff "BJD," and folks who are of the pearl-clutching variety tend to scroll elsewhere.

16. I think the only comments so far that I've gotten from friends was "Good for you, but I find dolls kinda creepy" and I usually just leave it at that. It's not everyone's cup of tea and some dolls are definitely "creepier" than others, but it's at the end of the day a matter of preference and taste. Realistic looking baby porcelain dolls freak me out way more than obvious fantasy themed BJDs, but I don't go hunt old ladies to harrass them about their hobby so I simply expect people to not hunt me down for sport either :XD:

17. Thankfully most of my friends and family have been very supportive about me owning dolls. They find them beautiful but a little expensive :p When i had my dollfies, my sister asked me if i got creeped out by them looking at me at during the night :lol:. Our relationship is quite a lot of banter though, so i am not upset at all.

18. My friend will not touch my dolls bcs he feels weird when doing so. But I don't find his reaction rude. I accept, that he may feel this way.

19. I'm sorry to hear that some people are not supporting you. The more open I am about my hobby, the more people accept it as part of me. But I also heard some talk in the past.

20. .

#100 Gintsumi, Jul 18, 2023
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024