1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Rude to Ask to Touch Other's Dolls?

Jul 3, 2009

1. I wouldn't think it rude at all for someone to ask to touch one of my dolls and of course I would say yes, but I would aslo say be careful. I would much rather they ask than touch them anyways xxx

2. me personally i'm okay with people asking to touch some of my dolls. the only thing i really tell them is to sit down so they don't drop them and to please not touch the face. the only dolls that are off limits to anyone touching are my dollshe v2 sa saint, and if he is handled it's by only a select few at meets are allowed to handle him and those are the people that i regularly see at doll meets... the other is my fcs f31 because his ears tend to pop off sometimes and despite the great care i've given him his face up is chipping to all heck.

i recently attended anime expo with my dolls and people there although exciteable were pretty careful around where we were having our tiny meets... and people asking to handle my boys were really gentle in handling them and only just moved hands or legs and then handed back... they also asked politely... so i think if you just ask politely instead of just screaming OMG BJD and try to grab it then i don't see a problem...

3. I wouldn't touch other people doll unless they offer me to. I think I'm paranoid that I will stain their doll TvT But I don't mind other people touching my doll XD Give him love~
      But in the case of moeness to the max then I guess I will ask politely. May be after chatting/getting to know the owner? :D

edit: corrected spelling mistake

4. While most dollie owners I've had the pleasure of meeting are more than happy to offer people to hold their dolls, and mess with them, I wouldn't ever consider it rude to *ask* to hold a doll or handle a doll.

Why? Because you're asking, and not just doing. If you don't want someone to hold your doll, a simple "no" will do. If someone just grabs, then you can get out the rude.

I think I'd feel mighty offended if I asked politely to handle someones doll, and they told me no rudely. I'm not 5. I don't need to be told with attitude just to get the message. All I need is a "no". I'm sure most dollie owners are the same.

5. Asking is never rude in my oppinion, as long as it happens in a friendly manner.

I am the offering kind myself, I love to share the dol hobby, so I will hand mykids over to people who seem carefull, trustwordy and calm, with only as much warning as "he is heavy" or "just be carefull not to dropp him/ touch her face" other thn that I am fine with others looking at and handling my dolls.

I would though get angry if someone just snatches my dolls up without asking or at least talking to me first, but I think thats just common decency.

6. It's definitely NOT rude to ask to touch someone's doll. What IS rude is to just grab it up without asking. Some folks may say no & others won't mind but at least you've extended the cortescy of asking first. Let's face it, these dolls beg to be played with & it's hard to resist handling them. I would avoid directly touching their faces though as that can lead to the face-up fading quicker.

7. I think it's okay to ask. I mean, hey at least you asked.

I always make sure to ask since I know how expensive they are and how important their doll means to them

8. It's probably best just to follow the general rules of courtesy that everyone should follow everywhere. It's never rude just to ask someone if you can, and the person responding shouldn't be rude back. Just a firm but friendly, sorry but it's not such a good idea (plus reasons) should be ample. If people shout and swear, they'll just scare away people from wanting to talk to them at all. If I had a doll and ever went to a convention, I'd be flattered!
      On the other hand, picking up a stranger's possession without consent is rude no matter what the possession is, whether it's an expensive BJD or a sock.

9. I personally find it quite flattering if someone asks to hold my doll. After all most people who are interested in holding dolls are withe doll owners or enthusiasts who tend to come with an inbuilt sense of doll decorum.

Of course I would always be dubious about handing my doll to anyone i thought has less than savory intentions, rare as that might be.

10. I get crazy timid about it.I find the meet,I'm stunned by the dolls-I WANT to ask but I'm always worried the owners will be offended somehow.
      I always ask before touching them of course,but I'm still so worried I'll do something-touch a bit or mess something up and get berated.
      I'm going to Otakon as well and oooh I can only imagine the doll gathering for that.

11. Asking is always polite. grabbing or just assuming is the rude part.

Some people will be jerks about it and tell you in a mean way that No they dont want you to handle their dolls.

Others will be polite back and say that they are not really confortable with anyone handling their doll.

While others are very relaxed and will show you how to handle the doll properly before it over.

It may be better if you are sitting when you handel someones dolls and hold it on you lap while you examine it.

But dont be to offended there are alot of different types of people out there and you never know they may have had a bad experience with some one in the past.

Maybe you can also visit a showroom or a store that carries bjds there are so many more of them now.

12. I'll be at Otakon! my boy should be here before then, just got my shipping notice, sooo.. If you wanna say hi, I'll be the girl dressed as Yuffie with a 72 cm beastling.

Aside from that..

I don't think it's rude at all if you ask. I, personally would never ever everrr grab a doll without permission from the owner. Just be gentle if they let you hold him/her and I don't imagine there would be a problem.

13. i don't think it's at all rude to ask to hold someoe's doll. It is rude to just grab them unless you're friends with the person whose doll you're grabbing (and possibly not even then, but our little Baltimore group is pretty laid back and friendly, so we're always just picking weach others' dolls up and playing with them). I'll hand one of my guys over to anyone who asks, provided they don't touch the face and have clean hands.

I'm going to Otakon, too. Find me and you can hold/play with my guys. Oh,and almyki, if you're in Baltimore or anywhere near Aundel Mills, you should come to a meet sometime soon! we're always happy to have new people.

14. Like most people have said, it's more depending on the person. Me? I'm totally OK with letting pretty much anyone who looks like they will respect my stuff touch my dolls, in fact I've been known to shove Token off into other people's arms simply because they looked like they needed it. ^^;; I get asked fairly often when I'm out and about with my kids(I take my MSD almost everywhere) and of course when at meets in public places. I think Token has been a lot of new doll people's first handled doll and that pleases me and him(he's a total attention hound).

Just ask, that's all I want out of a person. I couldn't stand for my doll to randomly be nabbed and handled(I've seen this happen a few times, what a heart stopper!) but as long as you don't look like you'll abuse my boys, feel free to touch away! Most people are like this from what I've seen. ^_^ I love to touch and play with other peoples resin but I'm always sure to ask, haven't been told no yet. ;p

15. Like rishimsin, I don't mind people holding my boys. I appreciate being asked but other than that, I'm cool.

I was raised to think that asking someone for permision before handling their personal property was good manners so I fail to see how asking to hold a doll could be considered rude.

16. This, lol. I love you so hard.

I'm pretty hands on with dolls, and I prefer being around dolls I can touch as opposed to "Glass case babies".

I think the issue in that is some people think the thought of wanting to hold another person's doll is rude. The same way one would think "Can I hold your wallet?" is rude/inappropriate.

17. I'd always ask, and be agonisingly careful. I've only ever handled one doll, belonging to a friend, and was glad I was sitting at the time, I didn't realise he'd be quite so heavy! I wasn't about to drop him, I was being careful, but still, it was surprising. When I finally get my boy I'll probably be careful about people handling him, warning them he's heavy and so on, but I'd be buying him to play with and handle, not just sit there and look pretty, so I wouldn't mind other careful people holding him. At doll meets, most of them would probably have more experience with it than me anyway!

18. I've had a few instances where I nearly came out of my skin because someone touched my doll without asking. Mainly one that really sticks out in my mind. A two year old, neighbor to my boss reached out and grabbed at my guy's face. Now, what's worse, was that she had a doughnut in each hand. >,<' I wanted to punt the little kid off, but being a mature person, I let it go. It's always good to have a Magic Eraser with you in your purse or car whenever you take a doll out. It keeps them from getting into a lot of problems. With a few swipes of the Mr. Clean Magic Erase Block and damp washrag, I fixed everything when I took my baby into the batheroom (Since I didn't want to make it out to be a big deal, not fair to a kid who doesn't know better.)

So, personally, I think that people get a little too carried away with how protective they are.

Personal advice though, don't touch another person's doll's face. If you want their head somewhere else, ask them to move it, if they're ok with you doing so, bend your thumb down and use the knuckle instead of the pads of your fingers (They carry the most oil).

Also, don't have nail polish on while asking to touch other's dolls. This is something that I personally notice when I see people ask to touch my baby. Nail polish can stain resin, and some people are very over protective about it. I've never had a problem with it, but I can respect that some people do.

Lastly, the only one I really get hung up on myself, wash your hands It's important to keep them clean to ask people to touch their dolls. Grease and oil is the enemies of resin.

But, I just say this as advice. I don't think there's anything wrong with asking people to touch their dolls. If they don't like it, as stated before, they should not try to flaunt them around a meet. But always, always ask.

19. Its NOT rude to ASK to touch or handle someones doll. At all, ever. No matter what any other person might say against it. Period.

It kinda makes me mad to even think there would be such Mean, Rude, Selfish people out there to actually even give out the feeling or impression that even the act of just Asking is rude in any way at all.

If people are gonna act like that, don't bring your dolls out At All.

However I understand if people are afraid of strangers getting their doll damaged or broken if handled by others. People with hose worries can also just politely say "Sorry, I'd rather not right now."

20. I don't know, I suppose everyone has their moments of wanting to shield there dolls from the world. However, I think it's just as rude if not more rude for a doll owner to refuse to let a perfectly respectful person who asks politely and seems genuinely interested hold there doll just because they are overly possessive of it. (I fail to understand why someone like that would openly display their doll in public anyway).

But, I guess I'm thinking of it from perspective of me being the one asking, and I'm generally extremely respectful of other people and their things, and would probably only want to hold it for a minute or so anyway.

I personally like the idea of sharing my dolls with other people, but I have my possessive moments too. If I ever take my dolls public, I hide them in a bag and go somewhere secluded because I'm shy and don't really want to explain BJDs to the ignorant and sometimes rude people that live in my area.

I've never been to any kind of convention or doll meet, but as far as I know, I would be much more comfortable sharing my doll at a place like that.

But, I'm equally turned off at the thought of people who are snobby and judgmental of others and think everyone is untrustworthy and will dirty or ruin their possessions. I've met people like that and it's really kind of unattractive. :(