1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules when buying a BJD for someone else

Mar 29, 2010

1. My mum got me Quarentine - but I told her I wanted a doll for Christmas and showed her the tinies on my wishlist. She told me which ones she liked and ask me to add them to a cart to find out shipping. She thought the Dollfactory Jinee was cute and the price came out right at just about 150$ with shipping and everything. What really sealed the deal I think was that he came with eyes, a wig and extra hands - she had some sort of problem with buying me a bald doll XD

2. You're right, it probably is an issue with control. But if you bought your friend a car, and watch them destroy it without any care in the world, wouldn't you wince at YOUR wasted money? It's a bad comparison, and luckily most BJDs are cheaper than cars, but what's the point of spending that much money on a friend who didn't really care about stuff that you gave to them?

As I said, I'm all for helping them into the hobby with choices and decisions, but to waste $300 without any appreciation and respect? I'd rather not get to that expensive life lesson like poor fuminshouneko did.

At least with that control issue riddled rule, you and they will know that they'll get something they want in return for something they didn't care for in the end. *shrug*

3. Personally , I think I'd prefer getting it for someone older then me.
      Because it's less likely to lose the friendship over a petty thing.
      Also , you can be fairly sure that they will take care of it either way.
      Like I said , the petty ire will have been out of their system for a while.
      XD
      Besides - I like old people.

4. Some friendships don't work out, but that is a risk people take with each other. Losing money on top of a friendship makes things more difficult. Other posters in this thread have suggested sticking with less expensive (but wonderful) dolls, or just buying a head - which is useful for people who are worried about the possibility of this added hurt. I understand that regret is a hard feeling to overcome. I suppose an unappreciated gift - whether it is $5 or $500 - is like seeing your friend being unappreciative of your friendship.

From this view (and fuminshouneko's experiences) we can say that someone wanting to give a BJD to their friend should consider their friend's respect for them as a person. :daisy

A person should buy a BJD as a gift only if they are completely comfortable with doing so (and obviously, given to someone they are comfortable with).

However, if conditions need to be added - then just don't give one at all.

BTW: Old people are awesome :aheartbea

5. Ive actually bought one doll for my friend in the UK (met her in june on here, so less than a year) and she paid me back on a layaway type plan. im also going to buy an Alk for her that she will be paying me back with. so its not quite a gift, but its to make sure we have our dollies on our list before they can not be found ^^

I dont think i could really buy a doll for someone unless i knew they would like it and know for a fact id still be friends with them... I dont mind fronting some money and being paid back so they can have it right away. :) i think its nice that i can help get a doll on their to get list :)

6. Haven't ever bought one for someone else but its a lovely idea. I would be reluctant about doing it though, not because I'm worried that the person won't like it but more about how much one costs. I would be able to afford it but I think in doing so it would put pressure on the other person to reciprocate with a gift of just as much value, and it could quickly become a very expensive gift exchange (war)! It may make them feel uncomfortable too because of it.
      But if you do get one for a friend make sure: they really want a BJD, its a BJD they specifically really want,its something with in your budget and also if it bothers you then one you don't personally want. Its usually quite easy to find out what BJDs a person likes because discussing wishlists is a common thing amongst BJD fans! If they are on DoA its even easier- just look at the wishlist on their profile. If they don't have one ask them what it would be if they had one. Simple! ^^

7. 1.The person must be a BJD lover

2.The person must love his/her doll very much when he/she get his/her first doll

3.The person must promise me that he/she will take care of his/her doll

4.The person must ask me if he/she didn't know how to do faceups,body blushing and etc..

8. Because of this thread, I've started schemeing with my best friend and future roomate's mother to get her a tiny for her birthday. She's ordering an MSD for herself this summer, and I know she'd love a tiny. This weekend I'm going to browse some with her pretending I'm deciding what I should order next. I'm going to chip in half the doll's price and her mother is going to pay the rest and shipping :3 We'll get the little one shipped to my house for stealth reasons. I'm so stoked! My friend will be so surprised.

9. OMG - I'm so happy !
      I'm glad my random thread topic will lead to someone getting a new baby ~
      Now if only my friends will get the picture. . .
      *sigh* -_-

10. When I wanted to buy a BJD for my best friends (sisters) as a Christmas present, I originally planned to buy one of the many that they already had their hearts set on, but then one of them decided to buy that particular doll for the other and as I couldn't afford any of their other dream dolls - I looked for the best that I could afford and decided not to ask for a face-up so they could give him any character and looks they wanted. :daisy

11. My sister and I bought a doll for our mutual best friend, not too far from here lol, we listened to her rabbiting on about a certain character she loved so we looked for a doll that would best fit that character's looks and bought him for her. It's a very specific look but we know each other very well so it worked out!

12. Where do I get friends like you ?!?!?!

13. A laboratory :lol:

14. Sounds like work. Can I just steal you ? I'm not above stealing people yet ~

15. well I wouldn't recommend it, we're nocturnal and demand regular feeding! :lol:

16. Eh - I'm flexible.
      And I've always admired the breed. *Grin*
      (We're gonna get yelled at by a mod for getting off topic. . .)

17. I'm pretty sure in the single case I have of buying for someone, I broke most of the rules here, or at least some. I didn't do a lot of looking with my friend, I didn't go for one of the ones on her list. I found one that almost /instantly/ reminded me of a character I know she loves, that I thought was gorgeous, and I grabbed him secondhand, and played with him some to boot. Outfitted him all up as the character and..I'm not sure I can even give any advice here except make sure they like dolls in general.

What I can say though, is there is a difference in showing them a stock photo, and a doll. I know when I was restless and horrible at keeping secret I found the picture that made me love the doll and..got a rather negative reaction on it, and was utterly crushed. Everything was ordered though, and so I stuck through, figured if she hated him in person I could keep him and next paycheck let her pick one out. And as far as I can tell she absolutely loves the actual doll. XD

If you're worried about the money, then my best suggestion would be to find another gift. There are plenty out there. I know I was probably ridiculously lucky here, and until someone said anything the thought of it starting some kind of gift war never even crossed my mind.

I like getting people things, I'm at a point in my life where I have the ability to do so more than /ever/, and, well, I'm best friends with the most fantastic person I've ever met. Just..decide who you want the doll /for/.

18. XD
      *Laughs*
      I like your answer , it was a lot different then most of the answers I got.
      And like I said , I don't mind being disagreed with.
      Or. . .Have my initial thoughts being proven wrong , or at least not completely necessary.

19. the only complete doll i have at the moment was a gift. a surpise gift. and i love this doll i think its the thought that counts, i mean if some is willing to buy me a bjd i dont think it really matters what it is because its a gift. but the reason my brother bought me this doll was because it looked like me not because it was a doll he was inlove with. i agree that it shouldn't be about what YOU LOVE it has to somehow relate to the person your buying it for and you should just ask them what they would like

20. I agree.
      Even if it wasn't a doll I would have chosen , I would love it because someone put forth the thought and effort of choseing it and getting it for me.

BTW (Off Topic) I love the picture on your profile ! XD *Is a compulsive stalker*