1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Rules when buying a BJD for someone else

Mar 29, 2010

1. Bump for more suggestions ?

2. Bump !!
      Got any suggestions ?

3. Don't buy the doll for them, just give them the money. This is how I fell because I'd honestly rather do it myself. Also it solves the jealousy and attachment issues.

or

If you need to find what they like sneakily ask their parent or sibiling or another friend to find out for you.

4. Heh heh ~
      That's kinda how I feel at the moment.
      But I do think it's good to now how to go about getting one for someone else.

5. are you planning to get a doll for someone? :O
      and your stalker comment made me lol!

6. Sadly, I'm buying 2 BJD's for my friends. I'm still in highschool so I can spend my money carelessly without thinking. So many of my friends are jealous that I have so many BJDS, and the money to buy them. So my friend is having really bad family, emotional, and economical problems so i decided, dangit, I will buy her a doll. Right now, she knows she likes DollZone, and MSD size and thats it. I'm thinking about getting her one of my friends (who is selling him) and then I wouldn't have to pay shipping ^-^ (I'm a cheapo) But my other friend is in college and her savings count up by pennies and nickles she finds on the ground around campus, and what we donate to her fund (in 5$ or something) So she found a horse anthro (she's obsessed with horses) and I told her I'd buy it for her.

Now both these friends know I'm buying them one, but then my expensive camera broke, and both of them and my own doll spending was shoved into the background of my mind for camera expenses ($800 or so)

:( it really sucks but I know they'll love them :3

7. XD
      Yay ~!!
      I'm glad you enjoy my stalker-esqu ways.
      And I may at some point , it would be a nice surprise for someone.
      But ATM I'm just trying to get one for me.

8. Fanficismything

I know that they appreciate the thought and are fine with waiting however long you need them to wait.
      They are both very lucky to have a friend like you ~!!

9. Well this huge piece of text below is my experience with giving gifts.

The only reason why I did it in the first place is because well I get treated badly a lot by the people I go to school with, and even though my best friend who I met when I was in elementary school, lives far away from me (8 hours) she always visits me during school breaks and cheers me up so I decided to pay her back for her kindness.

I did convert her into the world of dolls during one of the times she came. She is saving up for a doll all by herself, but I bought her a minimee head on the marketplace of a video game character she loves. She was super happy when I told her and couldn't wait until she could see him in real life. The reason why she had to wait was:
      "Keep it at your house or else my mom will get mad that you're spoiling me....besides my brothers will probably wreck it or something." That was what she told me while we were chatting. So then we agreed that it would be "A form of shared ownership" because I bought it for her but she wants it to stay at my house for safekeeping.

And then one day we were talking about Soom dolls, and how it would be cute if they released little wolfs or foxes. And they did release the kittens last month. So I had some spare money around and bought her another doll. She still wanted me to keep it at home because her mom would probably feel bad that I bought her daughter something that costed that much and again just for safekeeping.

I don't really feel jealous of her collection, just because I get to see it everyday and I have my own dolls to attend to. I didn't mind getting her those two, she isn't relying on me to keep buying them. Like I said at the start, she is saving to get her own. She's not even close to being a person who takes advantage of someone, so I don't worry about that either.

I would personally just watch for who your giving it to. My best friend has been there for about 8 or 9 years, so I know I can trust she's not going to turn around and start being my enemy.

What a long post, I didn't intend for it to be this long.:sweat

10. Aw ~
      That's great , thank you !

11. don't take the doll outta the box ''to make sure its OK''. once you've played with it a bit its over xD

12. I already knew which doll she wanted. Once I knew I could afford her, I said I had a "surprise" for her... and that I wanted to ask her questions about it. I asked her a bunch of color and style related questions that reeeally had her guessing, which is funny because by the time I actually had to tell her (she came across enough money to mention "oh you know that doll I really want? I could get her now but noooo I shouldn't..."), it was still a complete surprise. And with her knowing it was a lot easier to figure out things like... wigs. xD

So now Mei is on order, should ship in the beginning of May (irony!) if I'm lucky, and will become Orion. I'm going to make her a bunch of clothes and already have her wig, eyes, and two awesome pairs of shoes from Mimiwoo. (They come in totally adorable gift boxes! I had no idea! Much squeeing on opening lol.)

As a thought for "rules" in doing this, yeah, you definitely want to find out what doll is wanted. I would suggest buying either a cheap wig that looks nice so it's not a huge loss if it "just doesn't fit the right personality" or one that you're not worried about losing funds over. Plus, if there's other dolls in anybody's collection of the right size, extra parts can find new homes.

And as to the other big rule I'm seeing repeated, it's not a doll I want, though I've got a better appreciation for her now. But yeah, no problems there. I want a different Bobobie (Elfkin!) and a Minifee Luka but he's wayyy higher price range. XD

13. If it was a very good friend of mine I would show her different doll sites and ask her, "just out of quriosity", wich one she likes the most. Then I maybe would buy the doll for her with my money, but only if it was a realy good friend and was also into dolls.

14. I'm actually planning on buying my best friend her first doll. Migidoll Ryu.
      She loves him so much. XD I really like him too, but I can get over it. I've never seen someone's eyes sparkle so much.
      I'd love to do something really nice for her. She has been an amazing friend to me over the years. ♥

15. My best friend bought me a FL PF Ante because I really loved her and she wanted to get it for me for my birthday..of course she won't be getting me a present for the next few years. She is having lots of fun buying clothes for her I guess ^^ She should be here within a week. She also got fae wings commissioned for her. I'm really excited!!!!! : )

16. I actually just did this...My best friend and I split the cost of a Soom Shonki as a birthday/Christmas present for one of our roleplaying partners.

My rule so far is: be sure that the recipient will appreciate a doll. ^_^; We're sure this friend will love her doll, because she has been fascinated by ours ever since we got them and whenever I bring Yoru around her she whips out her camera to pose and take pictures of him. The little black resin kitty is perfect for her main roleplaying character.

On the same note, my sister has also hinted she'd like to have a doll. And I'd be willing to get it if I was sure that she'd take care of him. ^_^; She has yet to find a sculpt she's in love with, though.

17. I actually considered getting a doll for one of my friends but I already know what one she's been wanting to get for a while now. But I decided, along with a few of our other friends, to just pitch in an amount of money like 20 and give it to her for christmas to help raise the money. ^^ I wanted her to experience buying her first BJD.

18. I sort of think if you're going to buy a doll for someone else, you should be well aware of their likes and preferences before making a purchase. And try to give subtle, if not obvious, hints to try and find out what kind of molds do they like. If you have a doll, show them and show them the site you got it from so they can browse. They'll eventually start looking on other sites, etc. etc. and if they have absolutely fallen in love they'll probably say "hey! I want -yadayada- this doll too!"
      Or you can always get them something small and cute with a large "squee" factor.

19. Well, when my other half decided to drop hints that he was buying me a doll, I had to ABSOLUTELY he was doing it right, so I bugged him, dropping my OWN hints until he finally cracked and discussed it with me, and now I know for sure he did it right. xD

A bit forceful, to be fair, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else try it, because the buyer might not take it as well as my fiancé did. xD

20. i've purchased one doll for a freind for her gradutation from college gift. it was one like mine that she wanted. an elfdoll adel since i had the lyn and she loved my girl. then i gave her my girl's deafult fairy clothes too. since it's the part she liked best.

another freind i purchased her a head. she had been looking for that head for a long while and it was sold out. so even after a bidding war, i was able to get her that head. someone else even paid to get it a new faceup that my friend wanted. :) probably the most effort and thinking i've ever put into a x-mas gift. XD.

and recently i gave my freind tina my dz fox mod to kyuubi, he was part of my own collection, but wasn't getting love from my recent pure hatred of naruto, and she loves naruto, and had gaara's demon so she needed narutos too. so i just gave her that one. :)

so i have no ryhme or reason for how i go about getting dolls for freinds. XD