1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sacrilege to customize a "limited Edition" outfit?

May 7, 2010

1. Sorry if this is already covered, feel free to relocate or delete...

I recently bought a Limited Edition Val Zeitler/Dollheart dress. I love the dress, do not get me wrong on that, BUT, it niggles at me every time I look at it on Skiya... I just wish the dress was shorter :?

It is ankle length and has a ruffle near the hem, I am seriously considering shortening the dress and reattaching the ruffle above the new hemline. I would prefer it to be shin length to show off cute shoes and stockings, and I never use the big underskirt with it anyway... someone else is wearing that!

Part of me thinks I should leave well alone as Val is a fabulous designer and if this is what she intended, who am I to argue.... part of me thinks, sod it! Should I go for it? It's my dress after all, I paid for it, shouldn't I do as I like with it?

My questions for debate are:

Is it Sacrilege to customize an OOAK or Limited Edition outfit that other people would dearly love to have in it's "virgin" state?

If buying second hand would you turn your nose up at a (well) customized OOAK/LE outfit, thinking it has no value now it's been modified?

If you think modifying outfits is OK, how far is too far for you?

Thank you;)

2. It is YOUR doll fashion to do as you want.
      However, if you try to sell it at some point, you must be honest and tell about the alteration. There are problably others who feel the same way about the dress. But, of course, you will never get the same price or increased price (if the item goes up) that was originally spent.

My opinion. :)

3. As long as you're not kicking puppies while shortening the dress...

When buying something I'd like to know about any changes and modifications, whether it's a limited outfit or not. If it's done well, I may pay more. If it's not done well, I'd pay less. If it's not what I'm looking for, I won't buy it.

Taking modding too far is for me when you end up with nothing that's worth keeping.

4. It's your outfit, you can do what you like with it in the end... but it probably will lose value if you ever decide you don't want it anymore. Partially because people want the dress as it was released, partially because they won't know for sure whether or not the alterations were well-done. I'd certainly be upset to pay the going rate for a dress only to find out that it had unfinished, unraveling seams because of an undisclosed alteration. If you're really unsure about altering it, another option would be to sell the original for the going resale price and have a dress made in the length you like, but it would probably be difficult to get it just right.

5. I've modified limited outfits to suit my dolls better. I'd rather have it how I like it instead of having it sit there doing nothing.
      I'm also a clothes maker and if someone felt the need to change my outfit, although I might feel a bit sad they didn't like it the way I made it, it's their clothing once they pay for it. Also, I'd love it if they did something good with it. ;)

As for reselling, well I guess it depends on the person buying it. For some people they'll only want it as it originally was, but others might like the alterations better. As long as you are clear about alterations, I don't see why it couldn't go for a reasonable price if they were well done.

6. Is it Sacrilege to customize an OOAK or Limited Edition outfit that other people would dearly love to have in it's "virgin" state?
      No. It's your item, not anyone else's. You're the only person you need to please.

If buying second hand would you turn your nose up at a (well) customized OOAK/LE outfit, thinking it has no value now it's been modified?
      I could care less what it was originally, only if it looks good and fits what I need now.

There's no limit.

7. It's just some clothes :P I think the only time you should hesitate customizing/modifying an outfit is if you are considering maybe one day selling it. Other than that, they're yours. You spent the money for them, do as you please ^^
      If this topic was on LE dolls, I would have a different opinion, but it's not, so nevermind ^^ XD

8. This is just like modding a limited sculpt. If you don't like the dress and want it shorter, then fine, go for it. I'd expect that you'd either have the sewing skills to shorten it or if you didn't, you'd get somebody else who did, so you wouldn't end up with a gorgeous dress wrecked with a badly sewn uneven hemline.

When and if you go to resell it, you might find that a lot of people would prefer the original unmodded Val Zeitler dress. However, if you have no desire to resell the dress this won't matter to you.

9. Like you said; you bought it, it's yours.

Unless the artist who made it has clearly expressed that she doesn't like her work altered, you can go ahead and tweak it to suit your needs. Honestly, I think the only person who's in position to care about what you do to it is the person who made it.

However, be warned that if you ever resell it, you might have a harder time doing so than if it weren't altered. You will have to be honest and specific about what was done to it, and provide pictures of a doll wearing it, so people can see how your alterations changed the way the dress looks when worn. And you might find that many people might have fallen in love with the dress as is, and might not want an altered one. Then again, there's also the possibility that someone might love how it looks after you rework it, and might want it over the original. You never know, so be ready for either of those to happen.

10. Is it Sacrilege to customize an OOAK or Limited Edition outfit that other people would dearly love to have in it's "virgin" state?

Nope, this is a very do it yourself hobby built around customizing and tweaking stuff to suit you. If you feel like you will get more good out of the outfit my altering it, then by all means do so.

No--ultimately clothing value to me is decided by things like how well it's finished, how much detail it has, if the fit is going to be good etc. If the alterations are very well done, and I really like the outift, then I'm not going to turn up my nose at it. Same with modded dolls for that matter. It is however, very important to be completely clear about any alterations made, and as a buyer I would want detailed descriptions and pictures so that I could assure myself that it was done well. So you might have to go the extra mile to prove that the quality is still high, but I think it's still possible to find buyers. Some people are very concerned with having things in their original state, but plenty of people aren't as long as the finished product is a good one.

Firstly, as long as the owner of the outfit is pleased with the results, then it isn't too far. If it came to buying one of the MP, I would say that if the alterations caused a drop in quality it would be too much, but that's about it.

11. It's interesting that most of you seem of the same opinion. I definitely think now i will shorten the dress because then I know I will love it much more and my doll will keep it as a wardrobe staple. I wear a lot of second hand and vintage clothes myself, who knows if they are in the original state or not, but as long as they look good, I love them ;)

I worried at first that I should just sell it on rather than tweak it, but that seems more wasteful to me. I'm always honest about EVERY detail in my listings when I come to sell anything (which is why they go on and on!). I have been used to the Fashion Doll market where everyone wants things mint and untouched so it's another nice reminder that the BJD community are so up for "hands on" doll hobbying! Thanks all ;)

12. If it was would you care?

13. It would only be sacrilege to modify an ooak outfit, if you try to pass it off as your original work. Other than that, like with ooak dolls, if it's yours, then the only limit to what you can do to it is your skills and imagination.

14. Is it Sacrilege to customize an OOAK or Limited Edition outfit that other people would dearly love to have in it's "virgin" state?
      I agree that as it's your outfit, bought and paid for, you can do what you like with it.

I agree that the outfit will have gone down in resale value if it has been altered. As to how much that would be would depend on the amount of alteration to the outfit. I personnally don't buy OOAK/LE outfits so I wouldn't know how I would feel as I prefer to sew my dolls clothing.

Again, as it's yours, there is no limit to what alterations can be applied whether it's adding a hem or shortening right through to a complete overhaul of an outfit. It's up to the owner to keep in mind that if they choose to resell at some later point, that they must tell prospective purchasers what alterations have been made.

15. Is it Sacrilege to customize an OOAK or Limited Edition outfit that other people would dearly love to have in it's "virgin" state?
      Your money, your property. If other people have an issue about it, it's none of their business and should not be your concern.

Personally, I prefer unmodified outfits. If the modifications are spectacular and make the outfit even more appealing than the original, I would probably go for it.

There's no limit. The outfit doesn't belong to me, so even if someone wanted to turn it into a shredded, unidentifiable mess that's that person's business and not mine. :lol:

16. You could try doing it in a way that would make it reversible, like just folding it over and using a large stitch. :3

17. Is it Sacrilege to customize an OOAK or Limited Edition outfit that other people would dearly love to have in it's "virgin" state?
      No. It's your item, not anyone else's. You're the only person you need to please.

I could care less what it was originally, only if it looks good and fits what I need now.

There's no limit.

I do want to add I personally would not alter a Val outfit but that is me personally. I never buy an outfit unless I absolutely love it. That being said it is your outfit and if you want to change it that is your deal but if you want to resale the outfit it may become less valuable. To each their own and no ones opinion matters but yours :)

One more thing. It sounds cute what you want to do with the outfit. Please send me photos when your done I would love to see it. Which outfit is it?
      And I wanted also to say I love your website. I would love to know more about what you do.

18. Thank you Tsukidoll, I will be adding a section for my Bjds to the website soon ;)

I love Val's work too, and Dollheart's outfits are beautifully made. It's the Akiva dress, I didn't realise it was limited until a friend went to buy it and they had it listed as sold out. I love everything about it but she's been wearing it a while now and it just niggles me that I can't see her shoes/stockings and it occured to me that it would look great a little shorter... but I felt guilty... if I didn't like it as it was shouldn't I let someone who loved it in it's original state have it? You see how quickly anything associated with VZ sells out and it made me worried that I was being an idiot... but after reading the comments here I'm up for the challenge, I won't mess it up! Promise ;)

With the 3 questions I was thinking more of Limited outfits generally, whether people thought it was brattish to change them around, I guess not :o)

19. Isn't it still OOAK if you change a limited outfit in a beautiful, well done, and imaginative way? If you resold it you could state that you deconstructed and then reconstructed said outfit to suit your tastes.

I'm also thinking that for those of us who are good at alterations but not original fitted garments for dolls this is the way to go.

20. Altered the dress last night and it looks so cute, I'm really pleased with how it turned out (and that I din't mess it up!!!), Sadly I went to put on the shoes I'd customized to go with it and they won't fit over the tights!!! I bought them from Ebay ages ago, a wrecked pair of "Court & Castle" shoes, I tried them on Skiya with bare feet and they were fine. I will sort them out tonight and then post a picture of Skiya in her "altered" finery :)