1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sad about wiping a dolls first faceup

Mar 30, 2018

1. I wiped my Lucille's original face up because I had this crazy idea to go send her to someone to get dyed that was a big mistake. I found out that when I removed the face up from her again with the dye came off and found out she was all messed up and whatever. That was all around a bad idea. So all-in-all I am really sad that I removed her original face up I should have just left her alone.

2. im getting this lovely boy soon and I feel bad wiping his face up but it’s definitely not what I want. Things like that seems so mean in some ways. If it were just mine well that’s my bad art work but someone else put their effort into this lovely work. I guess they relinquish that right when they sell but still feels a little sad. Wondering what you all think when you buy a doll second hand or from the company with a face up you decided to remove?

3. I've never bought a doll with a face-up already done, but I think unless it's a super special brilliant one I wouldn't doubt or feel bad. Face-ups are made to be redone anytime anyway, so don't feel bad, it's your doll and it has to be perfect for you. If it was a permanent mod then I would understand being hesitant or thinking about all the "what ifs" but I wouldn't worry too much about a face up.

4. I know what you mean >< I keep thinking about wiping the face for one of my FL heads so I can do something different with it, but I feel terrible about it since the original is face up is so lovely :(

5. My newest second hand doll had the company faceup and even though I WANTED it, she was shipped without a facemask. Inevitably, the faceup was damaged in shipping (super shocker, e__e). Two big noticeable smudges on her cheek and the tip of her nose. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of the smudges, but the sealant beneath was damaged when it got smudged. I ended up having to remove it all and I felt so guilty toward my little girl because I couldn't save the faceup.

For me, if I want something specific for a doll's faceup I usually buy a blank head or ask for it to be wiped by the previous owner. That way I feel like the doll os a blank canvas, rather than a pretty little madeup girl or boy waiting for a new character. Though, sometimes that doesn't happen. I bought a doll from a friend of mine years ago and knew if I kept the faceup, she would still be the same character my friend made her into. So I wiped her and gave her a whole new look. I didn't feel guilty about that one at all. But I did for my OE Chloe, Corby. She came with the company faceup too, but she definitely was not what I wanted. But I had decided against doing her faceup myself and left it intact until I found an artist. I ended up really loving that faceup and had at one point decided I wanted a chloe with company faceup. Removing it was almost excruciating. Lol. I think I cried a bit cause I had fallen in love with that faceup. But then Corby came home and I haven't thought of getting another Chloe since. 2 is enough for me. (OE and sleeping, still hoping to mod to dreaming).

6. I will eventually wipe the faceup 100% of the time. I choose dolls to shell my original characters, which means they need very specific faceups. They could have the most beautiful professional expensive faceup ever, but it’s still not going to be the look I want for my character if I didn’t commission or paint it myself.

I don’t have a faceup shop, but I have done faceups for friends and my sister as well as on my own dolls. I’m not at all offended if they wipe it or sell it to someone who wipes it. An artist gets paid to do a faceup. They get their money for their work, it’s not like wiping it will rob them of anything. This hobby is all about creativity and customizing and I don’t feel you should be obligated to keep someone else’s customization if it’s not to your taste. In fact, many people will wipe a faceup before selling a doll because that faceup is very specific to their character and they’re not comfortable with others having a copy of their OC!

7. It does happen that the face up of a doll is not quite what one expected, so I have at times changed a face up to suit my taste. In my case they had factory make up.

8. I felt a bit of a twinge wiping some of my boys' face-ups. My Bory came with an...Angel Card face-up but I damaged it by accident so I got it wiped and redone by an artist of my choosing. That made me feel guilty, but not as guilty as choosing to wipe my Spiritdoll Echium with a custom faceup by an artist who no longer does face-ups. But he just wasn't working for me, so I made the choice to wipe the artist one. For factory faceups, I wiped my Megi so he could be customized, and I will be wiping my Shoyo when she comes, and I only feel guilty because they're discontinued fullsets, so in theory that faceup will never exist again. But no regrets wiping the factory faceup on my resinsouls. It makes them more mine and more special. The only factory faceups I won't be wiping will be my Little Monica (Gilly's face is too precious) and my Impldoll. I'm getting used to the idea that dolls are personal and thus personalized!

9. I won a Volks lottery, meaning I got a cute doll with an adorable limited faceup. While I appreciated the artist's effort, my character had to be sickly looking. Taking a Magic Eraser to her cheeks was my compromise.

10. I think I would be moe terrified than anything to remove my doll's face up. Its such a big commitment, and I tend to be pretty slow at face ups. It doesn't help that my area tends to be inhospitable for applying MSC/sealants (its really hot and humid). I thankfully haven't had to remove anything just yet because my dolls are new and I haven't gotten them with any company face ups, but I know I eventually will one day...

11. Since I do the face-ups of most of my own dolls starting from the day I started this hobby five years ago I’ve gotten used to it by now, but I do know people who get sentimental since they feel like it will never be the same doll again. I just think that you never know until you try it and it’s always fun to see some changes in that same doll and see what you can do with them and all :p

12. I haven't wiped a faceup in all my 12 years of owning BJDs. Somehow, luckily, my first doll still looks really good. I'll probably eventually wipe my incoming doll, but the thought of it is scary. I hate the idea of ruining a lovely faceup and possibly not redoing it well.

13. I'm very much the same, I had a problem with the sealant I used on my first faceup and had to wipe it, I was so happy with how it had turned out too :pout:

14. I typically get blank faces since I do my own face-ups and I only get company face-ups if it is exactly what I want anyway. I don't think I'd have any issue removing a face-up simply because it can always be re-done or improved. If it needs to be wiped, it needs to be wiped. That's how I see it. Volks' Saki is on my wish list and I would not hesitate to wipe her face-up the second I finish unboxing her. I really like the sculpt but I'm not a huge fan of the default face-up. :sweat

15. I definitely have been nervous wiping the factory face-ups. My early face-ups were not good at all!