1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Same character in two different sizes

Feb 18, 2019

1. I have a huge problem. I have two dolls of the same sculpt. One is MSD and the other is SD. The MSD have a character and stories and stuff. The SD has a character name but that’s it. He’s not part of the stories cause he has no place in there. He’s pretty much just a doll sitting in the doll room.
      Would it be weird if I made the SD into the same character as the MSD? Cause right now no matter how much I try and what ever I do I don’t bond with him and it makes me sad.

2. I don't think that would be weird at all! I've been thinking along similar lines recently about two MSDs that I maybe want to reshell, but maybe I just want to see them in an alternative scale or whatever?

So I say, if the SD only makes you think of the existing character, go ahead and style him that way! The SD can be the close-up shot to the MSD's wide-angle shot.

3. I have a tiny and an MSD who are the same character. The tiny is when he's his usual 6-year-old looking self and the MSD is when he changes his form to look 16-years-old (he's a demon).

I've long thought about getting a tiny of my favourite doll, Moswen, but have never done it as I just can't find the right tiny that speaks to me as the child version of him. I've also thought about getting a bigger version of one of my child dolls, Malachite, to be him as an adult but it would be too difficult to make the adult doll match the child doll because of Malachite being cast in green resin with translucent green resin hands and ears.

4. In my opinion, it's not weird at all. I don't know how you direct your stories, mine are more of "slice of life" (human characters, modern world) but I have two versions of the same character. She started as a toddler (a Lati Yellow) and as her character developed, I got a MSD for her teenager version. It represents two different moments of her life, toddler is very cute for pictures with my SDs and the MSD version gives me more of an atittude for her rebelious teen years. Maybe with an SD you can even find some new insight on the character. :thumbup

5. I have had this!

My first doll, Amir, was MSD. I've discovered I really don't like MSD size much and greatly prefer SD, but I couldn't stand the thought of selling my first doll when I decided to upgrade them all to SD. So, I kept the MSD form as sort of "retired" and stored him away and let the SD form be the "real" Amir in my stories. I have since sold off the big Amir as his character moved on and no longer belongs in my current stories (It's his son's turn now!), but I still have the MSD one on display in my sewing room, away from the SD crew. I see no problem at all with keeping dolls of the same character in various forms, if it makes you happy! (And if it doesn't, maybe sell off the one you don't enjoy and get a friend for the one you do!)

6. [​IMG]
      These are all the same sculpt, and all the same character.

[​IMG]
      The mini's a different sculpt, but the other two match. They're also all the same character.

I have more, but no other photos of all of them together (yet). :) The nice thing about dolls, is that you can do what you want with them, including making different sized versions of the same character.

7. Not weird at all! One of my hobby friends @tangy_melon has two equally adorable versions of her boy, Ben. One mini and one 60cm-sized. :)

8. Thank you all :kitty2 I guess I'll try to make him into the same character. Maybe he'll fit in the crew then. :3nodding:

9. >w<!! <3 Thank you @Wolfie Pie

It's a lot of fun! Go for it I say and you can always change if it's not vibing. This hobby is nice in that way we can always change their customization/styling

10. I have a yosd and sd of the same character. He’s 6 in the first story and 26 in the later ones so I wanted child & adult versions!

11. Half of my dolls are basically the same character, lol! The kid and adult versions only have a passing resemblance to each other but I think that is okay. I don't really look much like photos of me as a kid either.

12. I don't see anything wrong with having the same character in different sizes. I've given thought in the past to have a smaller version of my favorite 70cm girl, because then she could travel a lot easier. If it makes you happy to have more than one representation of a character why not give it a shot?

13. It's not all that unusual a thing, OP... I have both "grown up" and kid/chibi versions of several of my dolls. It's just fun to have them in more than one size.

Shonokin (Volks SD17 Kiriko), for instance...

[​IMG]

is the "grown-up" version of Clyde (Volks YoSD Kakeru)...

[​IMG]

14. I'm a shameless fangirl, so I own many customized (and official) toys of the same exact video game/anime characters in difference sizes, in the same age just different "versions," and sometimes just the same exact version (depending on the character). My favorite character is Sephiroth, so I have three versions of him in BJD form, from two different games. I actually own two floating heads in large sizes (meant for 67-80cm bodies) which I had plans to purchase a body for (but I'll probably never get to do that, due to lack of interest in purchasing anymore resin), and a full doll in a much smaller size (40cm). But they are the same age and are meant to look pretty similar, just the outfit is different. It's not the same circumstances, as you, but I don't think it's weird. I think it's a bit common for people in this hobby to get different age versions of the same character, at least I have seen it in different gallery sections here on DoA. I don't collect child dolls too often, so I don't own varying doll ages of the same character. However, I do have plans of owing more doll versions of the characters I like, even if I already have them in other sizes or doll/figure types (not necessarily BJD).

15. Made the big decision today and made the SD into the same character as the MSD. They're the same age so the small one is not a kid. They're just different in my stories. The small one has a personal life and a girlfriend and the big guy is part of a bigger crew of big guys.

16. I don't think having the same character in different sizes is weird at all. I have Sakuma Ryuichi (from the series 'Gravitation') as a 35 year old from the main series as a SD and as a 16 year old MiniFee from the OVA. Also right now, I'm waiting for a LittleFee version of him to ship. He'll be Ryuichi as a 5 year old. I also have plans of getting him as a toddler in PukiFee size someday. They're all the same sculpt (Shiwoo), so that also works out. :3nodding:

So, I would love to find out, OP, what sculpts you ended up getting as your multi-aged character! :D

Ryu

17. So about that adult version of Malachite. It's a thing now. Child Malachite is an Impl Simon Colourful Life in green. His adult version is an Impl Ziv in custom green to match. When I ordered adult Malachite, I got a gift doll (Impl Teno) that is one of Malachite's children. I'm trying desperately not look for an adult version of him. I'm not sure how well that's going to go as I don't need more unexpected dolls. I mean, I love unexpected dolls but....

18. Not weird at all!! I am sort of doing the same thing actually!! When I first started the hobby I made a character named Alexander and I got him in MSD size (first and only doll I have atm)!
      I got him Thinking I’ll have all my dolls as MSDs! But I found out I really like SD size dolls a tinyyyy but more and I’ll probably stick with those! I have nine characters in a group of friends that I would love to see in SD size. Alexander is one of those nine, so one day I’ll have two of him in a different sculpt but SD size!

19. Glad to see I am not the only one. I am in the early stages of writing a children's book about a fairy who becomes a doll. I will end up using Amelia Thimble as the doll and a realpuki as the fairy. So the same "character" but different. And I also couldn't decide between them! lol