1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sanding

Dec 15, 2009

1. I like smooth dolls and prefer that the seam lines are removed, but I'm not usually willing to pay more for it as I can do it myself with a superfine sanding block. I generally tweak my dolls after they arrive anyway by sueding and wiring them, if necessary, and painting them, so seam removing is just part of the fun.

2. If you've decided to go for sanding because you prefer seamless dolls that's your prerogative, however, a doll with seams is still a 'perfect' doll. Seamlines are not faults, they are a natural part of the casting process. Some people like seams because it adds to the 'dollyness' of their BJDs, others prefer to remove them because they either don't like seams or they want their BJDs to appear as realistic as possible.

One of my dolls has been sanded, but she was pre-loved and the decision was made before she came to me. I haven't sanded any of my dolls because I just love them as they are, seams & all, and I don't particularly mind sanded or non-sanded dolls. I just take exception to the common belief that dolls with seams are flawed.

3. Oh, I see what you are saying, I did not mean to offend you. I see what you are saying, I I dont think I will see seam lines as faults anymore.

4. I don't think its "necessary" but it's nice. Seams, I guess are bad. I haven't experienced them. But the nipples! My friend's dolls (most of them) and mine had horribly large, pointy nipples. It's very nice to have them sanded down :)

5. i sanded the seams and a bit of the nipples, since it just looks weird @_@

now i think he looks better and less "aroused" w/o his nipples protruding weirdly.

6. Personally I hate seams and was really happy that my first doll came with the seams already sanded but I also know people who are like "eh, gives em' more personality, doesn't bother me"

What do you think?

7. I honestly don't even notice seems now, unless they're really sharp. It's not that it gives the doll more personality, but more that I just don't care anymore xD;; Plus seam sanding is expensive and I'm cheap xDD

8. I'm sure there's a previous thread on this topic.

I don't notice seams. If I did, I'd take the several hours and sand them off :sweat. It hasn't seemed worth the effort so far. Maybe if I hit a time when I have no more faceups/new wigs/eye bevelling/hotglue sueding/restringing/mods/new clothes/photoshoot prop-finding/new eyes/magnet replacements or additions/eyelash replacesments/etc., to do . . .

9. I'm still a newbie and don't know how to sand them.
      Which means I hope my first doll will arrive without. :'D

10. I never realised they existed... Untill I saw the photos I took. I dont really mind the ones on my doll much as they arent really that visible, but I think I will still sand them off when I unstring her.

11. None of my dolls (DZ, BBB/RS and DollFamily) came with seams. But I have seen some dolls with them, and I think, so long as they aren't sharp enough or big enough to catch me, or the clothes I don't think I'll care. If they're huge and ugly, then they gotta go, but I'll likely pick up a ceramic knife or something to carefully shave them down and then just lightly sand over it to smooth it up a bit. I wouldn't want to sand too much, I don't want to deal with the resin dust.

12. All of my dolls came with seams, and it's never bothered me. As long as they don't make me bleed I don't care, and I probably won't even notice them.

13. Seams dont bother me at all, I have dolls with and without them and I forgot about them all the time. When I first look at a new doll, I dont go crazy and "OMG. WHERE'S THE SEAMS? SEAMS!!! I NEED TO GET RID OF THEM. SEAMS!!"

I'm playing with the dolls, not the seams, right? Why should I bother with them? And it does help that my dolls regularly wear long sleeved shirts and long pants though. If they do make me bleed, that's a different story. I may sand them down slightly so they are not so sharp/noticeable. And I find this funny; how does seams add personality? Not laughing at anyone, but that's what I'm thinking.

14. Huh. Never thought of seams adding personality.

But anyway, with my kids, it isn't so much that they add personality, it's that I'm lazy and don't really notice them anyway. I mean, I do on my tiny, but she's also tan skin, so I'm not going to be sanding her anytime soon. And they don't take away from her appearance anyway, so... yeah.

In short, seams don't bug me a bit. If they're not biting me, I won't bite back.

15. I don't think it would bother me, personally, but.....my boy doesn't have seams so I kind of had no idea that BJDs even have them. O_O;; *goes to look at her boy* Mhm...I have never seen a doll in person with seams before, so this is kind of new for me now. o.o; I didn't even know they had seams. OTL

I guess if it was really noticeable it might bug me a bit, seeing how the money you pay the companies should really take more care to take care of these things, but since my boy doesn't have them((I think)), I can't really say. ^^ ;;

16. They don't particularly bother me. None of my boys have outrageously bad seams anyway, so I can overlook them just fine. I attempted a minor seam sanding just to see how it was done, and five minutes in I just stopped and considered it not really worth the time for something I didn't care about haha.

If they were especially bad though, I would consider taking them down a bit with sanding.

17. I don't see what seams have to do with personality, but I don't care for them on my dolls and sand them off when they arrive (unless the dolls are tan). It takes only a few minutes with fine sand paper or sanding sponges to get them off. I go outside and sit on the porch with an allergy mask on to avoid the resin dust. Most of my dolls arrive with them off anyway, so I haven't had to do this often.

18. Unless they cut me (like the ones on my old Souldoll Hye did), I'm fine with them really.

19. It depends really. If they're really prominent, I'll sand them off. I like the feel of smooth resin. Unoa come with some pretty major seams so I take care of those before I even start putting them together.