1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Say your Boyfriend/Girlfriend Wanted To Buy You A Doll,

Jul 30, 2012

1. I didn't see anything like this on here so I decided to ask. If your boyfriend/girlfriend wanted to buy you a doll what would you do? Would you say no? What if they got you a doll you didn't like? Would you sell it? Soo many questions, but i'd like to hear your input!:)

2. My ex bought me my grail doll as a present for passing my exams. It was a complete surprise, especially the fact that he had taken note of the doll I really wanted. Only problem I have now it that I do associate that doll with him a little -_-; I've totally changed his style and like him more again now!

My current boyfriend has suggested that he would like to buy me a doll at some point but I've told him not to!! Can't do much if someone surprises you but I told my current boyfriend that I'd rather him spend his money on fixing his car than buying me a doll!!

3. That's exactly what my boyfriend is up to at the moment... We are together for nearly 5 months now and he is just getting crazy with the idea of buying me a doll. I don't know how many times I have told him not to but he doesn't care. So he will buy me a LTF Lewi these days and if I would let him he would also buy me tan Bory and Crobidoll Choco because he just got his tax refund... :nowords:

4. My husband has paid for several dolls and gave me, totally unexpected a pkf pong when i was in hospital. He had bought it previously "to cheer me up if there would ever be a bad time".

But perhaps its differet with husbands, I would not let a boyfriend in a more casual relationship pay so much money for me.

5. I don't think my relationship is casual, it's just 5 months but we had to go through more hard times other couples have to go through in a few years... This is the most serious relationship I ever had, it's the first time I wanna be with someone for the rest of my life. That being said, if we should ever break up anyways it wouldn't be a problem if the doll he will buy me will remind me of him.

But I have the same problem, cyberspacegirl, I just don't want him to spend that much money on me. But he wants to buy me something because I gave him so much strength during the last months and if I won't let him buy a doll he will buy me something else just trying to make me happy. I'm just so bad at getting presents and I don't really want him to do that...

6. I agree with cyberspacegirl that I certainly wouldnt let a Boyfriend spend so much money on me. It's too much for them to blow on a present before the relationship is truely serious, equally, theres too much chance of the relationship souring and if you break up, I feel like the doll could be ruined by an exs' memory.

However, in more serious relationships, engagements, marriages, civil partnerships, etc, so long as the money permits, I think having your partner spoil you in this way is really sweet. I would probably still protest if my fiancèe wanted to spend that much on me but if he went away and did so nonetheless i'd be absolutely over the moon!

What if they got you a doll you didn't like? Would you sell it?
      I thik that the wonderful thing about this hobby is that it's /so/ versatile. I've quite frequently seen dolls that i've absolutely hated (like the DC Cyril) until I've gone away and looked at a mountain of pictures of them in different colours, outfits, wigs, eyes, faceups, some with customisations, etc etc, at which point i've fallen head over heels.

I think my partner has a pretty good idea of my tastes, but if he did but me something I didn't like i'd never sell it. I think the meer fact that it was a gift from him would instantly make me fond towards it, and then a little effort and trial and error would eventually do the rest. I'd never sell it.

7. If he is not bringing himself into financial problems and he is sure thats how he wants to spend it....it is HIS money and if he wants to spend it on a frivolous gift for you...why stop him.

8. It's not that he would be running into debt but he could use the money much better, like renovating his apartment. And I always feel bad if someone gives me presents that I could never give back. Not like I would want to give him a doll, but I could never give him something that costs the same. I know it's not about money but in the end it's still a lot of money anyways...

9. My partner and I have a joint bank account, so technically... anything he bought me, I would have also bought, and anything I buy myself is also a gift from him. It makes getting surprises for each other really hard.

Prior to him, if anyone I'd been dating had bought me a doll I probably would have refused the gift and ended the relationship because that would've been way too much money and would've meant he was way more into the relationship than I was.

10. If my boyfriend bought me a doll as a surprise present or something I'd probably be really happy about it, and unless he got me something that's really not my taste I'd probably keep it. (I think we have similar tastes in dolls? He's good at picking things I like, anyway.) I'm not sure what I'd do if he gets something I don't like, though. I'd probably try to customize it to my tastes and experiment with different looks, and if that doesn't work out I'd let him know that I'm going to try selling it.

If he suggests buying one for me, on the other hand, I'd say no-- he spends enough on me as it is and I'd probably feel incredibly guilty for him to drop that much money on me at one go if I knew about it beforehand.

In any other relationship I think I'd be a lot more hesitant to let a boyfriend/girlfriend of mine buy me such an expensive gift unless we were together for a long time, but this is just theorizing without experience ha.

11. My brother bought me 2 (cheap) dolls for my birthday last year: A RS Song which I actually like and kept and a BBB Weylin which was the ugliest most poorly engineered thing I had ever seen and I traded away. Still, I was happy until the next month when he made me pay him back for them. WTF If I was going to spend like $300 that I didn't have I wouldn't have gotten those dolls I would have bought a kid delf + shoes/eyes/etc...or a Volks 4 sisters head or SWD school A head -_-

12. My boyfriend and I put our money together anyways, so it only matters, who is ordering. I would check on my order every hour or so and would be so impatient when ordering myself, so the last two dolls I wanted to get were ordered by him, so I can have my head free. And I can't ask him about the order status, either. ^^
      But I am sure I would be bothered, if he got me a doll without me knowing. If that was a doll I didn't like, I'd still want to bring myself to like it. But it'd probably end up somewhere in the corner and I'd sell it eventually. And that would be just sad. T_T

13. I'm not sure.I really never like to get presents from people and often scold them for doing so. I'd feel like I didn't deserve it and probably be a little upset that he went and spent all of that money on me. At the same time,it'd be a very sweet gesture. I wouldn't sell it, even if I wasn't in love with the doll.

14. i am very sure i refuse the will of my lover to buy me (for unstable relationship too is the reason) because most of any reasons, my lover's taste of doll maybe different from mine.

but if my lover wanted to lent money and agreed to layaway, i am be happy to!

15. My husband bought me a doll for Christmas last year, but I think it would be different with a boyfriend. To me it depends on how long you've been together (general you, of course). If it was a very long-term, dedicated relationship (like one that lasts for years) then sure, if that person isn't going into debt to get you a doll, then why not? But if we had only been together a few months, then I wouldn't let a boyfriend spend that much on me.

16. Technically, my boyfriend and I bought all my dolls together since we share our money and have been with each other for almost 8 years.

If our relationship was still new, I would probably feel a little uncomfortable with him spending that much on me. :)

17. Currently, I have bought all of my dolls myself. If my boyfriend wanted to buy me one, I wouldn't have a problem with that as we've been dating for almost 6 years now, and planning to get married next year. He knows what's on my wishlist and what my preferences are, so I wouldn't be surprised if this Christmas he got me a doll. Most likely he would want me to be involved in the ordering process to ensure I got everything I wanted, and then wouldn't let me open it until Chrismas.

18. If I had a boyfriend or girlfriend, I would honestly not want them to buy me a doll. These dolls are expensive, and I would hate for my partner to buy me a doll and I not like it or not be able to bond with it.

Now if my partner bought me a doll anyway, I would try my best to love it... and if they ended up buying me a doll I'd had my eyes one, or even one of my grail dolls....I'd probably cry XD

19. My husband has bought me dolls. :) When he was still just a boyfriend, he bought me a 1/6 Obitsu for the holidays (this was before I was into resin. I got my first resin a week before my wedding and paid for him myself).

Since then, he's usually bought me resin for holidays and birthday, but he has bought me two just because. And they mean the most because it wasn't an obligation, just goodness of his heart. He bought me my Ringdoll Valo two summers ago. His grandmother passed away and he got some inheritance. I'd been making over Valo and MoC had one in stock, so he got him! The other surprise was my BBD Draven. I'd had a horrible day at work and just all around bad week and I was so upset. He asked me what would make it better and I said "Blueblood Draven"....just being pouty and not seriously expecting it at ALL.....and he said "Ok, order him on my credit card" I about died! Needless to say, my week got better!

My rp life partner has also bought medolls. :) She got me my DiM MNM Yazoo head for Christmas. I had no character for him but kept eyeing one on the MP, so she sent me the money and told me to buy him.

I guess I've been lucky as far as getting dolls I want from others. Most know me well enough to know what's on my wishlist or they just ask me or tell me to order it. I think my biggest surprise doll was my IslandDoll Kevin from my sister. I'd made over how cute he was but had no plans to buy him. She surprised me with him for my birthday and I was delighted!

IF somebody gave me a doll I didn't want or like, I'd probably try to bond with it anyway because it was a gift. Though I'm very close with people who buy me resin, we all have an understanding, I think, that if it doesn't fit right, then it just isn't right. We usually prefer to ask each other about gifts before buying. but I think feelings would not be hurt if one of us received a doll we didn't bond with and sold it or traded it to get one we liked better. I know if I bought a doll for my sister or rp partner, if she didn't like it at all, I'd rather her get one she loves more. In a way, she'd still be using the money I spent on her to get what she loves, so it's still kind of a gift from me. :)

20. Considering the state of his finances, I would strongly discourage my sweetheart from buying me a doll. if he offered to get something doll-related such as wigs, or offered to help pay for the shipping, then I wouldn't mind.