1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scalpers vs. Shopping Services vs. Flippers is there really a difference?

Sep 9, 2009

1. Why is it ethical to you, if I am contacted by someone to buy a limited item for them at an event they can not attend but it is not ethical for me to buy the exact same limited item at the same event you still could not attend and sell it to you after I have purchased it?

This is not about ticketmaster and concert tickets. This is about the BJD community.

2. While I know we're talking about dolls, you could easily replace "doll" with "tickets" and have the same argument. And FWIW, people have been arguing about this for a long, long time. I don't think anybody's come to a conclusion yet. :sweat

3. In tangible terms, I'd define the difference between a scalper and a shopping service the same way as neverything; the shopping service is purchasing a specific item on behalf of a specific individual, whereas a scalper is purchasing an item knowing that a ready market exists.

Still speaking in the tangible, another difference between scalping and shopping services is that scalping involves prospecting - you often see scalpers on Y!J overestimating a doll's demand and and being stuck with an item that doesn't sell for months. With shopping services, as the buyer is found before the item is acquired, there is no financial risk.

In general, I would put a shopping service above a scalper because one could project some sense of a cooperative effort (as opposed to a scalping transaction with is a simple buy/sell situation). However, in my mind, lower risk should equal a lower payout... same as any other financial gamble. Therefore, I find shopping services that charge a disproportionately high fee for their service predatory and distasteful. There are some shopping services I would never utilize because I feel that the fees that they charge are extraneous; I notice this in particular with a couple of Sato FCS deputies who actually live in Kyoto, but charge almost 1/3 of the cost of the doll for the order.

Scalping and flipping are separated by less tangible, more arbitrary definitions. For those, it comes down to intent. If someone purchases a doll with the goal of selling it at a profit, that is scalping; if someone purchases a doll with the intent of keeping it, but for whatever reason is unable to do so, that might be considered flipping if the price was substantially higher. Selling a doll at a profit doesn't always mean that is is either, though. It's impossible to divine people's intentions on individual cases... I think it's really only through looking at patterns of behavior that it's possible to apply the labels of "scalper" or "flipper."

I also base my feelings on the relative availability of the item. I am less likely to look unfavorably on someone for reselling a time-limited item than a number-limited item. If other complications or frustrations were involved in acquisition, I am also less judgmental. For example, with the Soom MDs, on a personal level I don't really care if people flip them. They are number limited, meaning anyone who had the money to buy them could have done so... and there are such broad stretches of time between ordering and delivery that one could find that their interest has completely gone cold. "Bonding" is an issue, really, because these dolls are too expensive to keep if they aren't fulfilling their purpose as happy-things.

I guess my position is confused. I am adverse to community members deliberately preying on members of their community. However, I think that labeling people without knowing their intentions can be dangerous, and throwing around epithets shouldn't be done lightly. Scalpers outside the community are purely business people. I would shake my little fist in annoyance and say "Damn them!", but I wouldn't regard them with the same social disdain as someone who tries to gouge people they know.

4. If a scalper was selling LE dolls w/BIN prices it would make a difference only if that price was publicized beforehand. My point about auction v. shopping service is just that auctions go up to whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay, potentially many times above initial sale price, whereas a shopping service is a set service fee above the value of the doll. In other words, to buy a doll from a shopping service, the buyer knows what they're getting and what they're going to pay beforehand. With a scalper, the buyer is competing with other buyers to buy the item, which potentially drives the price higher.

It is simply a matter of personal preference. I would prefer to buy something at a known price, even if it turns out to be a little higher, than have to fight with other bidders over an item. (And still need a bidding service to do it.)

Also, you might be right. Minus a language barrier, some Y!J scalpers might be very happy to work with us as a shopping service. A shopping service works with guaranteed sales, which must be easier than the fickle nature of the auction house.

My comment about cutting out risk is only relevant if the scalper / flipper or shopping service have an "inside connection". In such case, they would be able to get an item before anyone else, or when no one else could. An example would be a person who works for a company, who is able to pre-order LE items for that company before they are released to the general public. In that case, the worker would be "inside" the company, and wouldn't have to risk a lottery or a similar system. Like I said, I don't know how common that is in ABJDs. I know it's very common in other hobbies.

With the way you have described the Volks lottery, it seems like that kind of insider trading is difficult or impossible, thus even the Y!J scalpers and shopping services incur the same risks as the consumer.

If the 4500 yen guarantees a buyer a lottery number, than I am okay with it. As long as the buyer understands that there's no guarantee of a doll unless their number is drawn, than that is acceptable. You didn't really give much information on how this works. That said, I would never participate in it. It completely eliminates the "guarantee" that would make me purchase from a shopping service v. the secondary scalper / flipper market.

5. There are shopping services out there that have to raise their prices because of the work and time involved in being the middle man and they want to get paid. A modest fee is understandable.

A scalper well... no one really likes them but they are apart of almost every business industry arent they to a certain point.

A flipper well I really think its wrong what they do.

However I have notice a certain 'shopping service' as they call themselves sell things on ebay like a standard Megu doll for like 2500 dollars. Apparently theyhave gotten alot of nasty emails for this practice but they are clearly trying to take advantage on people who do not know the Volks or BJd market values.
      It boils down to greed and its sad.

6. I completely agree with you about companies are also business and are also just looking to sell dolls and make profits. They are not your new best friend.

However displaying gratitude towards a company that creates a beautiful and/or innovative product is not the same thing as celebrating someone who is able to purchase something for you because of where they live. A shopping service does not make anything. They are just fortunate enough to live someplace where they can attend an events and sometimes can speak a foreign language.

No, it's not the same. I could not tell you what the Jonas Brothers look like let alone their first names, but I know if I had a front row seat to one of their concerts I could scalp it for a lot of money.

To attend special events in Japan one MUST be a VS/VIP member with Volks. To go to a Dolpa one must buy a guidebook. This all entails knowing a lot more about this hobby and how one goes about getting items. This is not something a casual observer or someone who does not know anything about dolls could do.

I would argue more that a scalper buys something in the expectation that a market will exist rather than in the sure knowledge. I think if some of the say Y!J scalpers could tap into our market they would happily switch to a commissionable service since most could make a profit and I suspect a definite profit is better than a risk of possibly no profit.

I'm curious Armeleia how you feel about the additional points any shopping service is also likely to receive for their purchases.

I don't think it is labeling people without knowing their intentions to say that there are some flippers here on DoA. If someone seems to put in for a Yo every time there is a VolksUSA lottery. And then always lists said Yo as soon as VolksUSA starts sending out orders for a 25-50% mark-up from original price via VolksUSA, I think their intentions are pretty clear.

Through no fault of my own I am pretty sure I have accidentally ended up with 2 Yo SD Suzuna form the last lottery. (Kerbey Lane was supposed to pull names so VolksUSA would not pick them and somehow my name was not pulled. I don't want to upset either company and I am concerned something went wrong with one of them for this to have happened and so I don't want to risk canceling either since I do want 1 for me.) Am I going to list one for sale if I receive two, yes. Am I going to suddenly charge $550 no.

7. It's only ethical if the flipper buying dolls does not decrease the availability of dolls for other people at said event/ordering during a specific period - the flipper buying a doll does not, in and of itself, deny anyone else a chance to get a doll. That would be the inability to attend the event that's making them unable to get a doll.

If the supply is limited, the flipper becomes a scalper, whether we're talking BJDs, concert tickets, guns, or butter.

8. Using your example, to get VIP tickets (because we're talking about limited items) for the Jonas Brothers you might have to attend a special event. Or win a competition. Or know somebody who knows somebody who works with them. To get a special doll from Volks you have to be VIP member.

To take it one step further, somebody who knows nothing about dolls might assume $3000 for a Sard is the standard price. Or that you can waltz into a Volks store and purchase a LE.

Either way, you're relying on somebody with inside knowledge to get you something you want. In other words, it's the same argument. It's been argued before, and nobody's come to any conclusions. That's all I'm saying. :)

9. Why is it not OK for that flipper or scalper to decrease that limited supply and it is OK for the service to decrease that limited supply?

Both are taking the chance away from someone else attending said event from getting that doll to sell said doll at a profit to someone who for whatever reason could not attend said event.

The only definitive difference is the service has a set price and a set buyer while the scalper/flipper does not.

The person who ends up buying from the scalper might pay less (like I did on my Yo SD Ryo) or could pay more. It could be someone who wanted that doll and missed a shopping service spot with someone or someone who didn't have the money when the shopping service was taking commissions.

Again, both a service and a scalper are taking limited item away from someone who is actually attending that event. Please don't ever forget that.

Or what about like my opening example the Disney Yos. Anyone who attended this event had the opportunity to purchase 1 of each different Yo. However attendance was limited. The people scalping them on Y!J might have wanted to attend the physical event (it involved meals, meeting and greeting other owners and getting to meet the Volks staff) and are taking that spot away from someone, but didn't want the dolls and figured if they offered them on Y!J someone else would, is that ethical?

Except that a lot of vitriol gets thrown around when it comes to people who are perceived as scalping.

Contrarywise the fact that few people can offer such a shopping service enables services to charge more for their services while a scalper on Y!J has a lot more competition with other sellers as well.

If I had not been able to get my Yo SD Mimi head in a trade, I'd watched Yo SD Mimi auctions over the last month or so and felt confident I could get a fullset doll for 45,000 yen+fees.

Actually Volks does not allow its employees to even enter lotteries for LE dolls. If a LE does not sell well and there are leftovers in the store a few days after a AE, then employees are allowed to purchase items.

If an employee wanted to get a popular LE they need to use Y!J, a shopping service or a get a friend to put in for them. The 2 latter options I suspect the company looks down on.

Depends on how you see it. If I requested SD Michele and you requested Yo SD Suzuna, if this service presumably went in person to the event and drew #459. You and I would both be #459, we would not each have an individual number unless this service brought more than 1 person with her. If she entered via email we would again share an entry unless again she got a friend to enter for each of us.

The only guarantee is that you're out 4500 yen lol

10. In the case fo flipping, does the circumstances under which they are sold matter to people?

Especially since SOOM dolls came up in most posts, and there is such a huge lag between buying and recieving. I know in the past with other hobbies, I have made a huge purchase and ended up with buyers remorse after recieving the item months later. By the time I recieved the item, I no longer had free funds, and selling it looked pretty good. I don't have much money to be spending it on things that just sit around, regardless of what others might claim about my morals.

I ask because I notice some people said ALL sellers of secondhand dolls are scalpers. Does that include people who sell their doll a year later to afford a different one that caught their eye, those downsizing, people that afford the hobby by investing in an initial doll, doing a fantastic faceup and reselling the result to afford another to do the same?

I personally would further narrow the definition of scalper to be someone who buys a doll purely for the intention of profiting off of it's limited availability.

I feel all three are an inevitable conclusion of collecting anything really, BJD's, My Little Ponies, Stamps, Coins...they're all the same in this regard. Really how much does it matter if someone "loved" the item befor they sell it? I don't think any of them are moral or not. Once we start applying morals to capitalism, the whole system falls apart. I don't think anyone is going to hell for reselling a doll. Besides, technically some of the biggest resellers can also have a different term applied: Small Business-owner. Owning a doll shop IS being a business owner, so is it any different if it's online or a brick and mortar collector doll store?

11. Are shopping services considered positive because we know they are part of the community?
      I believe so. No one wants to pay shipping from a different country, and no one wants to buy a whole doll when they only want part of it, so SS help us get what we want without much extra cost (and in sometimes, a lot less extra cost)
      If we know a scalper is part of the community does it change our feelings towards them?
      Over all, I think yes. It doesn't much change mine. You have no idea what position someones in financially, so on a personal level it doesn't change my feelings towards them, I just probably wont buy from them.

Is there really a difference between flipping and scalping?
      I mean, generally. A flipper doesn't buy the doll with the sole intention of reselling it for a mark up once it gets there. And a lot of times flippers will restore an issue with the doll their selling.

Is flipping better than scalping since the flipper is more obviously a member of the community?
      Yeah, I think so. I don't feel like flippers are trying to get over on us like scalpers are.

Does it matter that a scalper is selling to a buyer they may or may not know, while a shopping service is buying for a specific buyer?
      Not at all. That's what the internet is. It's our responsibility as buyers to get informed about who we're buying from.

What is an acceptable "fee" or commission for a shopping service?
      I think paypal fees, plus a teeny bit is ok. The person running any thing like that goes through a lot of hardships to do it. However, they do get the points from the companies which can eventually get them a big discount on what they want.

Is a shopping service's time worth more than that of a scalper?
      Yeah, because with a ss you're probably getting exactly what you want.

Do you personally feel one of the above categories is morally superior to the other and why?
      I think the only one morally poor are scalpers. Because they take slots away from people who would have had the doll at regular price.

Do you personally feel one of the above categories is superior to the other and why?
      Between Flippers and SS, both are the same. They allow us to get what we want.

If a scalped doll is selling for less than a shopping service charged, does said service still have the moral high ground?
      With a SS, you have to agree to do it, and you can always find another to do it from. However, if a SS is charging more than a scalper, I think they'd change their ways quick or no one will use them. (Or, ya know, the scalper just isn't scalping THAT much).

Is someone who is taking away a chance for an item from someone at Japanese event different from someone taking away a chance for something you the respondent is able to apply for yourself?
      I can't understand the wording of this right now (chalk it up to no sleep).

Can a service cross the line into scalping, and if so when/how?
      They def can. If a SS is charging way over and above the items just to get them for you, then yes, they're crossing over into scalping. I think anything 10% over what its original cost is should automatically be considered scalping (whether the marketplace will pay it or not is a totally different story)

12. As defined by the OP, I don't think there is much moral or practical difference between flippers, scalpers and buying services. However, I don't agree with the original definitions.

A "flipper" in other fields, such as real estate, buys a property and improves it and sells it for a profit. If I buy a blank doll, give it a nice faceup and eyes and wig and resell it for a profit, that makes me a flipper. I don't believe I'm doing anything morally repugnant. You could say I'm benefiting the community because I have improved that doll.

A "scalper" in other fields, such as ticket sales, buys large numbers of limited items, usually before the general public can do so, then resells them for a huge profit. The reason this is illegal in many places is because of the "insider trading" aspect. If I know someone at Volks and can buy five LEs under the table before the lottery (I don't, so don't get excited ;) )-- yes, that would be wrong, because I would be depriving five other buyers from getting a limited item at regular price.

I don't believe reselling is wrong in itself. It's the circumstances that make it right or wrong.

13. I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread refer to someone like that as a scalper. ^_^;; I don't think anyone who has buyer's remorse or a change in circumstances and then decides to sell a doll is a problem.

The issue to me comes when said person receives their Soom doll and instead of the say $1000 they actually paid for it, suddenly slaps a price tag of $1300-$1400 on it (without making any alterations) and has done this the last 3 times they ordered a Soom MD as soon as they received the doll. As mentioned by Armeleia its also a little different with a MD where anyone who can get together a payment can in effect pre-order one vs a true limited edition.

I think they are inevitable as well but again what I find particularly interesting within BJDs is the vitriol we reserve for scalpers and the praise and adoration we offer to shopping services. I collect doujinshi (fan-made Japanese comic books for those who don't know what they are) and even more than BJDs, these are products that are only readily available via resellers, scalpers, flippers, and services and you do not see anywhere near the vitriol or praise in that community.

And to me that is the issue. The majority of respondents to this thread feel that scalping is "evil" vs. the attitude towards services which are our helpmates.

I personally wonder how different one really is from the other often.

I'm not really sure what your point is. ^_^;;;;

My point is anyone in the US if they had the opportunity/interest/ethics could scalp concert tickets because popular bands and sports teams are such a huge part of our popular culture even people with no interest in them know who they are.

Dolls (even in other countries) are a very niche market and the people scalping them are more than likely other collectors. They are still trying to make money off of us, but more than likely to help feed their hobby. (This is an expensive hobby) I do not get the feeling that in concert tickets that the people taking advantage of the community are other members of said community.

I doubt the average Japanese person in Japan is going to waltz into a Volks store or into the Soom store unless someone they know is taking them there. And why would an average person want to pay $30+ to get a random lottery # and stand in line for hours in the hopes of maybe getting a LE doll that maybe they can scalp? Why would an average person want to pay $10 to Volks to get a VS/VIP membership and go through the hassle of applying for events that they MUST ATTEND IN PERSON and often cost an additional expenditure on top of the cost of the dolls in hopes they can later scalp the doll? Why would a random person decide to order a monthly Soom doll and risk like $1000 which would be tied up for 6 months to hopefully later flip the doll?

And again perhaps I am just not into concerts enough but I don't know of many cases where scalpers often only get face value or a 10% profit on their expenditure at best.

Ticket re-sellers are licensed like an authorized dealer, (like say Kerbey Lane, who sell all Volks items for prices set by Volks) those are not what a shopping service is. There is nothing authorized or licensed about any shopping service I know of.

And again, I do not know of any other fandom where two groups that in my eyes can be quite similar get such varied reactions.

14. This pretty much sums up my feelings perfectly. While I may personally think it is distasteful to deliberately seek a profit by preying on members of the community, I also do understand from a logical standpoint that it is a business.

This comes up again and again on DoA about increased cost of secondhand limiteds. Scalpers make a profit because people are willing to pay the increased value. It's just how a collector's hobby market works. People can complain all they want about how it's wrong or unethical, but if someone out there will pay the increased price there's not a thing anyone can do about it. Scalpers/Flippers just come with the territory, as do shopping services when items are limited to an event or location.

For me, I do see shopping services differently than scalpers/flippers, depending on the profit margin. It's more like a business partnership entered into on both sides. Person A wants something, but doesn't have the means to get it, so Person B steps in and does the work of acquiring the item for a fee. That's basically the way any business works. A service for a fee. Do I find overpriced fees distasteful and sometimes ridiculous? You betcha. But I just take my business elsewhere, or choose not to use the service at all.

I don't quite define the difference between scalping and flipping the way the OP does... I have different definitions. But to save debating semantics, I'll just say that I agree with armeleia. I personally dislike scalping because it comes off as deliberately cornering a market within the hobby as a profit. I have always felt that way about scalpers of any item, be it tickets or a collectible item.

Flipping something like a time-limited doll doesn't bother me, because they didn't corner a market or reduce other people's chances at an item for personal gain. If someone is going to re-sell a doll, there's no reason to sell it below its market value.

15. I guess, I was trying to say, I personally don't find any of them "morally repugnant" and you would never be able to quote me otherwise. I honestly think it's the more vocal people that tend to really "hate" them. I don't understand why one would apply morals to any of the three. That said, I see why you are posing the question, as so many others had responded along the lines you were expecting.

I also realize, In my response I misunderstood a post earlier who was hypothetically asking about secondhand selling = scalping in response to Gus's comment that scalping's wrongness is in direct relation to how much profit is made by the person selling.

To those who consider flipping repugnant, I ask:
      Why should someone who is reselling their doll (regardless of the reason) go below market price? Out of kindness? People have bills to pay and mouths to feed...I don't expect people to give things away. In the world of collectables a thing is worth what the highest bidder will pay, that's why price-guides always have a range of values that one can expect. I wouldn't call that greed.

16. I find it interesting too, and I'd go farther and say there is a part of the BJD community that does not feel a private seller should make a profit, at all. Look at all the threads discussing whether sellers "have a right" to pass along expenses, shipping, etc. or whether they "have a right" to ask more for a secondhand doll than the original price. In what other hobby would you see attitudes like that? Other threads are covering those issues, but they seem related to your question, rkold.

17. I think part of the hobby-wide vitriol against scalpers is all a part and parcel of the emotional investment that is prevalent in the BJD hobby... it affects a lot of the general "social opinion", I think. And one of those is the philosophy that scalpers are "morally repugnant" (to re-use a phrase from earlier in the thread).

This emotional investment is also visible in the attitudes regarding sale of dolls, such as the need to justify the reason behind the sale of a doll. (And the fact that some reasons such as "I'm bored with it" can be met with negativity). Also, the general belief that owners should "bond" with their dolls. Or that one should only buy a doll if one "really loves that doll".

A good part of it is that these dolls are so customizable, which means that a lot of personal effort can go into them sometimes. Also, they are realistic enough that they are very easy to anthropomorphize... all of this adds to the fact that people can become pretty emotionally involved even though it's really just an inanimate object, and a sale is really just a business transaction.

Another part of it is that the doll community is generally a closely-knit, helpful group of fellow collectors, especially in a group like the DoA community. So when a seller within the community is seen as "taking advantage" of others, it can hurt a little more, or feel like more of a "betrayal" (though that's a stronger word than I'd like to use).

Even knowing all this from a logical standpoint, I do admit I still fall prey to the emotional attachment, and I do "bond" with most of my dolls. I just can't help it. :sweat

18. It all ultimately seems here to be related to context. I come from a hobby where it's expected you either gut your best friend when you can or they'll gut you and it's all good. It was kind of refreshing to see that this hobby community is a 'kinder gentler place'.... uh, in some respects anyway.

I've scalped, I've flipped and I've definitely let hot things go for the price I paid when I knew I could have held an auction and gotten way more or simply doubled the price. I did what felt right to me at the time for each item considered and my understanding of the context of each sale.

The trouble with social context like this is there are always jealous greedy members whom you can't please no matter what you do or how you do it.

When it comes to buying I simply look at the item, the asking price and whether I want to pay that for it. If the equation works for me then I'm not going to care whether it's a flipper, scalper or shopping service. I've patronized them all.

Raven

19. That's more like a Group Order than a Shopping Service. ^_^;; A Shopping Service is specifically set up to help one acquire items that are only available to a specific location. (whether that is bidding on auctions on Japanese Yahoo or placing your FCS order) It's not a matter of trying to cut down on shipping, these items are generally not available AT ALL outside of very specific location or event.

Again, a Shopping Service for limited items is also taking away a slot from someone else just like the other two.

And by that definition I don't think anyone would have an issue with a flipper.

Again, this is not about scalping in other hobbies this is about scalping in this hobby. In this hobby there is no "insider trading." None of the Y!J scalpers or eBay scalpers are buying their dolls in advance or under the table.

Unlike most people on this board I've been in both the position of the person buying a doll I could not get otherwise from a Scalper and bidding service on Y!J (my Yo SD Disney Ryo) as well as being one of those people who paid to go to Japan to attend a Tenshi no Sato event and then drew an awful number and so got to see both shopping services and scalpers buy a doll I wanted and prevented me from being able to get one at original price.

What defines an acceptable profit margin? Again, can being a service cross the line into a scalper/flipper?

Do services deserve the adulation so many give them?

Yes, but none quite ask this exact question so while it touches on some things in other threads I thought that this was an issue worth exploring on its own.

While we talk a lot about proper pricing for sales or might debate scalpers and flippers, there is rarely much said about services and our relationship with them.

I think you've made a wonderful point. There is really a lot of pressure on all of us to bond with our dolls and I can see how that might lead to us being particularly sensitive to someone who seems to be making a profit off of dolls.

But then why do we laud services so much? I love member xxxxx because without her I never would have gotten my yyyy, I even named yyyyy after her!

It almost seems we go the exact opposite way with a service as from a scalper despite the fact to me their roles often can and do intersect. No one would say, I got my Yo SD Nono at such a good price from Y!J seller wwww, I'm naming her after wwwww even if the price was in fact better than a service might have charged.

On the other hand I've seen what feels like the community stand up and protect one of its own despite what looked like scalping or at the very least what seemed to be a sales choice that was made in extremely poor taste, because they were a beloved member of the community.

20. I can't give you an absolute number of what constitutes an "acceptable profit margin" for me. It depends on how much work is involved, how difficult obtaining the item is, and what the shopping service's overhead costs may be. The "acceptable markup" would vary based on the particular order. It would also vary from person to person... and even from doll to doll, depending on how badly a person wanted the doll.

For me, no, a shopping service can not cross the line into scalper/flipper, because they take the order beforehand. Scalping/Flipping is buying a doll without a prospective buyer, but hoping to make a profit. Shopping services take orders before purchasing the doll. It's not a matter of "crossing a line", it's an either/or. Either the person bought the doll with a guaranteed buyer set up, or they didn't.

Once again, it's part of that "business partnership" aspect, and is a somewhat subjective line created by social beliefs and pressures. By engaging a shopping service, the buyer is participating in the process from the get-go, making it a partnership in getting the item. Buying from Y!J is an impersonal transaction made AFTER the item is already originally purchased by the seller, which creates a different emotional impact.