1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scared to face up an expensive doll?

Mar 6, 2017

1. On my first, I took it slow. I made sure I sealed really good between layers.
      As long as you use safe practices to remove the faceup, your doll should not get damaged. If you want, you can also share progress pictures to get new pointers and tricks in any areas you are having issues with.

2. No. I just keep at it until I like the face-up give my doll. In my opinion all dolls in this hobby are expensive.

3. I've never been afraid of doing the face-up itself, as I know that it's completely removable when done right. I haven't always been very happy with my face-up quality, but that wasn't frightening, just pure disappointing. What I have been nervous about, is handling an expensive head that's not mine. I've made face-ups for my friends' original release Beryl, Amber, Cuprit and Chrom and especially Amber's ears are terrifying! And I refuse to go anywhere near her fawn hands...

4. I think the reward of knowing it was your own work way outweighs the fear of making mistakes.

As everyone has said, seal well before you start and use safe products, then you know you can be bold and take chances with your styling, and if it doesn't work out, start over! It can get a little frustrating when it takes a long time to get a feature right, but just take your time and really savour your hard work when you're finished.

Best of luck painting! Always love to see pictures when you're done.

5. I would definitely be afraid to do a face-up on an expensive doll. I have a Fairyland Littlefee that I'm not really thrilled with her look. I bought her with the face-up and it's beautifully done, but it just seems a little dark for a little girl doll. I'm trying to decide if I should just sell her and buy a different one, or try to redo her face-up, but I'm afraid I won't be happy with her if I redo it myself.

6. I totally felt the same way when I made this thread, but after reading all the responses I felt more confident and did a faceup and even some mods on another practice head, and I feel ready to do my next on a pricier one! :3nodding:

But If you are really bothered with just the face, I'd encourage to go for it! It's satisfying when you make an improvement on something that just wasn't "quite right" and it'll make you happier knowing you did something about it and didn't just leave it be. Easier said than done, but knowing your skills will improve and that you'll get there one day is a big source of motivation. It's kind of like an investment that you will gain skill through time and eventually be able to give life to your imagination. ^u^ If you read through the responses I hope you can gain a little more confidence like I did! Good luck! <3

7. I understand your feels! I bought a bunch of practice heads in various sizes and my brushes and stuff get here tomorrow...

I checked all the paints and got a good sealant, but I'm still nervous haha. I know I'll get good in time, but it is definitely nerve wracking!

8. I actually have a couple extra faceplates for my Littlefee (I love the way you can change their faceplates), which I've just finished doing face-ups on, so I'll probably just switch faceplates and save the one I don't like as well. Maybe it's more about removing such a beautifully done face-up. I think my problem is that I'm such a perfectionist. If it's not perfect, I'm not happy with it. The faceups I see some people doing are so amazing, and I want mine to look like that, but I know it takes a lot of practice. I've just finished face-ups on 4 heads and the two faceplates and I have seen improvement over the last time I worked on them, so I'm getting there. It helped me to study pictures of dolls and draw their eyebrows on paper and then practice painting them on the paper. The eyebrows seem the hardest to get right.

Good luck on your face-ups, Stheno.

9. definitely and i hope that day doesn't come haha

10. I'm too scared to botch a faceup on my rap1993 Danni. I'm not confident enough in my abilities to do one on my favorite doll.