1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sculpt's non regular parts

Oct 25, 2017

1. Regular BJD body is head + 1-2 parts trunk + 3 parts legs/arms. I was wondering what possibilities the field has to offer about anatomy rendering? I know for example Doll Chateau and their disproportionate ankle/wrist joints which make them look like a 4 parts arms/legs. I know how hands can reproduce each phalanx. I think I remember a 3 parts trunk. Etc.

I want to know, for reference purpose, what are, as of now, the most sophisticated sculpts (i.e. with the most parts) for each part of the human(oid) body, or sculpts with weird/fantastical combinations which are not corresponding 1:1 to human anatomy. I am talking about the articulatory map, not something else like the proportions, etc. A good example would be a joint in the middle of the "thigh".

Everything which doesn't fit the regular mold is welcome. Examples are mandatory. Thanks.

2. There is a Dollshe body with quite a lot of joints:

And you can also see in the video that many joints mean not instant improvement of posability.

#2 Ipledreamer, Oct 25, 2017
      Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    3. Many dolls have 3-part torsos (usually one joint under the bust/ribs, and one at the pelvis). My DreamingDoll Elva16 girl is like that, as are MiniFees and many other Fairyland bodies, some DZ bodies, Resinsoul Rong and others... too many to list, really. May not be as common as 1 or 2 part torsos but it's definitely not rare.

Magical Angel dolls have joints in the feet that let them stand on their toes.

Amadiz Angels and a couple of the Lillycat doll bodies, among others I can't recall, use a double thigh joint.

Some Dollshe bodies have a joint at the base of the neck. (And since you mentioned Doll Chateau, you've probably noticed that some DC bodies have another one of those "extra wrists" in their neck.)

Pasha Setrova makes a doll with an extra joint in the shoulder to allow shrugging and slouching.

#3 Kittzel, Oct 25, 2017
      Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    4. Whoa! I've seen that on some 3D-printed dolls and pose-drawing figures and other OTs, but not on a big resin.

5. Thank you Kittzel and CloakedSchemer, that's exactly what I want to know. Ipledreamer, sorry but I don't see your doll, all I see is a website about 3D printing and like it's in German, I can't navigate through it.

Yeah, I call it the neck above the neck or extra neck... anyone does what they can to name it.

I am not that surprised about the 5 parts trunk because I know this figure mannequin SFBT-3 which has over 80 points of articulation. There will always be someone to try how far you can go, maybe thinking the more parts the better. That's not a bad thing even if the result is not always convincing, but you don't know until you try.
      So we have a 5 parts trunk. Who has a 6 parts trunk? 5 parts trunk once, 5 parts trunk twice, no 6 parts trunk in the room?

Neck > 2 parts
      Trunk > 5 parts
      Legs > 3 parts / double joint hip / elongated knee-ankle joints which look like extra parts / butt cheeks joints
      Feet > 2 parts + jointed toes
      Arms > 3 parts + double joint shoulder/ elongated elbow-wrist joints which look like extra parts
      Hand > Fully jointed... 15 parts?

#7 Sechs, Oct 26, 2017
      Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    6. @Sechs You can see two of the Dollshe bodies that include that neck joint here (the Classic 28 Pose L3 and L4).

7. Now it should be the right link.

8. Oh, I forgot about Doll Chateau’s jointed toes! I know Christina has them, not sure about others.

9. Butt cheeks used as joints, I didn't know that, haha.
      I tried to find some humanoid with elongated members or unusual articulations/limbs but I only found chimera like female spiders or mermaids.

10. Speaking of "members," that reminds me... does anyone remember which company it is that makes their male dolls with a joint in the crotch and a set of changeable/posable penises? Because that's a thing.

11. I voluntarily eluded the topic but, yeah, there must be a demand... and DOA gives 8 pages of results for "penis".
      Couldn't find your set but I found something way more interesting: "jointed" boy nipples (Nobility Doll > also has jointed penis).