1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sculpts you love vs. matching dolls?

Jan 13, 2009

1. I have found I'm in the middle. My first was a 60 and my second a larger mini simply because I didn't have a mini. Now I'd be more inclined to buy somone a simular size to what I have so they could share shoes and stuff. I have a pair of 70s and a pair of 45s leaving the 60 and 40 odd men out.

The second 45 was bought because she would match the first, when I got the 40 there was no way to tell how small he is compared to the others. It irked me at first but I've warmed to him and might be inclined to get him a simular sized friend.

2. *cough* I'm a Rainman whore... *dies* I dunno, but I find that elfdoll sculpts completely match my style and they all have similar head sizes so sharing wigs and eyes are dandy... Also, I'm very offput when a character has a HUGE head next to another in a photo so while I drool at certain molds, I'm always put off by how small or huge next to one of my own doll's heads...

I rather have all my dolls to match otherwise I would never be entirely happy with my collection...

3. I choose based on whether I like the sculpt. If I want them to match, I usually only worry about that in pictures.

4. I do think a more tender eye and pouty mouth are beautiful, so most of my boys have these traits by mold. I don't think I intended for them all to relate to one another but I do like what I like as far as facial structure goes, so all my boys favor each other in that way. ♥

5. My dolls are whatever sculpt takes my fancy but are grouped by size (the SD size ones ar a different scale from the MSDs and the slim/mature MSD's are a different scale too.

But within those size groupings, I don't buy based on whether they look alike or not - I mean, my friends and I don't all share the same physical characteristics, body shape, similarity of features, so why should I want a group of dolls (little "resin people") who are cookie-cutter-clones of each other....?

Even within families, there can be a lot of dissimilarity of size, shape, built, facial features and skin-tone.

Teddy

6. When I first got into the hobby, before I actually brought my first doll home, I thought I would be more concerned with matching that I actually turned out to be. ^_^ I don't care that much, really, but I've come to notice that all my resin family members do have similarities with each other; I tend to fall in love with the same kind of details in different sculpts (big noses, large-ish eyes, big heads et c., et c.).

7. I'm not too worried about size or brand-matching my dolls, I do like the variety in doll families, but in some cases the differences are so massive that I do think that it looks weird. I mean if you have a family of mostly msd's and mini's, and suddenly you get say, An 80cm mecha angel, I think that's going to look a little wonky. Lol. He'd look like the BFG (big friendly giant) in comparison. But again, In most cases it's not so bad. I plan on having a nice variation of sizes, and the only case where I'm worried about matching is in the case of My doll Lucy. I'm getting a DOT Shall, who looks exactly like I imagined my character from my book to look like, and I recently decided that I would also get a doll to be the other character in the story, (who she falls in love with), but he's a pretty muscular guy. Most of the bods out there, while still muscular, are just not what I'm looking for. When I discovered the Elder Iplehouse Superhero bodies I knew I had found the right one, I was just afraid that such a huge 70cm buff body would kind of dwarf my poor 60cm girl too much.

8. As far as dolls matching each other: All of my kids except one have green eyes in various shades and tones. I just happen to like green eyes!

About "favorite sculpts": When I fell in love with "Anais" by Volks, I had to ask around and do research because Volks has used that head with at least three names. People were kind enough to tell me about a sculpt named "Thor" by CrobiDoll, which bears a striking resemblance to Anais. Before I came to a decision about weather or not to buy a "doppelganger" (ie: Fake) I finally found an Anais head in my price range. Now I want the "fakes" again, just to compare the subtleties of the different faces. I'd like a Thor as well as an MSD F-06, which is the mini-sized Anais head. Luckily for my wallet: I'm happy with additional heads ;)

9. Sculpt, for sure n_n
      I like having a variety of sculpts from different companies, and all of my current resin-kids are different heights with a range of skin-tones.
      And even if they sometimes look 'wonky' next to each other in person, you can always angle them in certain ways in photos to make it look more natural (well, as natural as you can get).

10. Since my dolls are representing my characters, I tend to find that they end up in matching 'family' groups. My Sooms are mostly representatives of my alien races, while the Iplehouse, Minimees and Migidolls are more or less human.

When I look at all my current dolls I think they look pretty natural together. Even humans have a lot of variety. I do like to stick with dolls with eye sizes between 12mm-16mm and proportionately realistic head sizes. Those are the styles I prefer anyway so it isn't a hard rule to stick to.

11. I like dolls of all types. Whatever captures me, I'll add it to the list. The only exception is when I was looking for the right mom and dad for Tokujo. I didn't want her to look like she was just stuck with two random people. I looked for similar eye shapes, and tried to figure out if Tokujo could potentially share any traits with parent candidates. It took me a long while, but now I'm sure Tokujo has her mom's (Soom Amber) eyes, ears (after modding), and lips and her dad's (Dollzone Hong) chin and nose XD Otherwise, it'll just be whatever wins my heart.

12. Hum... I would definitely only buy a doll if I absolutely love the sculpt... I realize that hight does matter a little if you're going to photograph your dolls together, but I really can't see the point of buying a doll if you don't positively love it's sculpt :)

13. The way I made up my dollie wish list was, basically, poring over the dollie pics to find dolls to match Bleach characters..... They won't stay as those characters (being cosplayers) but it seemed a good way to make a list.
      Pitiful, I know LOL. But I've picked all sorts of sculpt for my wish list so there will be lots of variety!

14. I usually only look for dolls of SDsize or more, not only because I like my dolls to be similar or "right" when they're together, but also because I find that after all, my favourite sculpts are always SD or more :)

15. What's more important to you, buying a sculpt you fell in love with or buying a sculpt that you only sort of like but that's similar enough to your other dolls that they match?

I'd never buy a doll I don't totally love, be it because of whatever. If I did, I'm sure I wouldn't love it enough. I think one has to buy only the dolls that are what one wants to have, and that is, to me, just the doll one loves enough. If you don't really like a doll, why buy it? After all, dolls are there to please you and if you buy a doll you don't like, it would most probably never please you as much as a doll you loved would.

16. It's very important that my dolls would match, to me. Actually, I only own one doll right now, and this probably a part of the reason why. I want to get her a 'boyfriend', but I must get one from the same company that she came from. Any doll concepts I have with 'relations', like siblings, couples, etc., I want them to be from the same company. For a looong time (until just this month or so actually) I only planned to buy from ONE company, ever, after choosing my first doll from them. Kind of hardcore XD . But I've been reconsidering for two main reasons:

1. I'm interested in seeing and studying other jointed body types, especially double-jointed since Blue Fairy only has single-jointed dolls. I'm considering learning to make my own dolls, so studying other dolls is a good first step!

2. I realized that along with simplified 'doll-like' styles like Blue Fairy dolls, I like more realistic and detailed doll faces too. And many more companies and doll sculpts have come out since two years ago, so there are more choices to peruse!

But, it's still important for me that even if my dolls are from different companies, they be 'grouped' properly to match. It would bother me so much to see two dolls with clearly different styles in the same 'set', even if it's not that big a difference!

So, it's a balance between loving the sculpt and making sure they match. It can be hard striking the 'right' balance though, when I have to compromise too much. That's what makes it hard for me to settle on choices for which dolls I want to buy!

<3 ali

17. I always buy dolls I'm absolutely in love with, nothing less will do. > 3>

18. This is just the thread I'm looking for...yeah...I'm in a dilemma.
      My dream doll is a migidoll miho... And I have him now for a few years, But all my other dolls are littlefee, pukifee and pukipuki... Im contemplating letting miho go.....but I reaaaaaly don't want to do that either... He does get a bit more neglected than everyone in my doll family... I've not really given him the development that everyone else is getting... (albeit slowly)... So... Where do I go from here?
      Is it wrong to keep him while I neglect him?...by neglect I mean, not getting much attention, not like I actually treat him badly...he's still my precious miho.

As for my fairyland littlefees and under,...they are just darn addictive. I love their everything, and I've not been able to bring myself to purchase others dolls of the same size.... Do I buy them because they match? I'm sure there is a part of that in me that feels that way... I have actually decided not to buy particular dolls because they are not fairyland ones.. they are not 100% suitable for my characters, but I am more lenient when it comes to fairyland..

19. I see many dolls I like. But I can only get to love them if they at least somehow match my existing doll family. Because only then I can think of a story, relation and so on and get more fond of the doll to the point when I really fall in love and have to get it. ^^

20. I just want the doll to look like my characters, and if that means they look a little off together, so be it.
      Like I have a Napidoll Chesi on a SD10 body and I want an EID Akando in the future. They'll look funny together, but luckily they don't really know each other in the story, so no problem.