1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

SD- and MSD-scale Dollhouses

May 20, 2010

1. Is that one of those science-fair-type poster board setups?

2. I remember a girl making a shed for her SD out of a rabbit hutch. It was almost perfect sized!! I reckon with a few modifications a couple of them pushed together and on top of each other would make an interesting doll house.

3. Not sure if you meant me- but yup, it definitely is! It was a little short though, so adding more board is definitely on my list.

4. i don't know of anyone considered this as an option although more expensive there are dog houses that look like cabins with stairs etc. all you would need to do is add a door. but would be a pricey house i am sure.

or for cheaper get some 1/4 inch plywood cut at lowes or home depot. make a house you only need 3 sides similier to a wooden dollhouse use small decorative molding found at hobby stores or walmart for trim or make it out of basa wood its easy to cut and glue . windos and frames transparant paper and tiny trim, door out of a board from the hobby store and thin trim . could be fin to try and make a sd 1 story version of a green leaf house hehe just buy a instruction book off ebay for $5 and make it to match just bigger. ok sorry for rambling but you got me to thinking i might try this but for msds since i have more of them.

5. The stair case was be Le Mus'ee Noir- who does wonderful photos and props.
      http://web1.kcn.jp/musee_nior/index.html
      She has a making of somewhere- I believe her blog.
      There's several sets of photos that feather the stair case, but the first one I found looking today was if you click on the very bottom left thumbnail and scroll down to the second picture.

For my two sense, I agree that a fully conjoined house- something beyond one room- would have it's far share of nightmares to photograph. That isn't to say it's not doable though.
      If you are convinced to do so, I would recommend making the outer walls all pull off as panels- on every side. That means the center walls will need to be the structural support and likely wood- where as outer can be foam core (that "science-fair type poster") for easy lifting. If someone is doing two story- it would also be good to be able to take one story off another and the roof. Also when you get to the SD scale- it is increasingly challenging- if not near impossible- to find good scale lighting and any pre-made architecture. So be in store for lots of ingenuity required.
      Some things you can get away with0 chair railing still looks okay- since you can have really thick or think. Scrap-booking paper makes wonderful wall paper also. I used if for both of the two collapsible sets I made. One is two sided with a floor and roof, and the other is three sided. The one also has a wood floor from the doll house section.
      Photos actually by Dybbuk- cause she had more that showed off the floor and roof than myself. And the black and white set I made for her.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      here was a joke shot- but you can see how it collapses and how small the two sided one really is- which makes it very easy to move around- even if I've gotten better at making it structurally sound since then. lol
      [​IMG]

6. I would love to make a nice hobby of building a dollhouse, but right now I have no room and no extra funds for it. But it is in my bucket list :)

7. I use my attic room to make doll rooms. Theyre constructed from thin wood or heavy cardboard and are usually corners or folded out pieces of board with wallpaper, carpet etc that their furniture sits in. Easier to take photos of them in these than an actual 'house'. I have seen some great photos of peoples doll rooms with shelving units turned into individual rooms.

8. Teruchan, that looks really nice!! I've been toying with the idea of those "Science Fair" boards, too. Seeing yours, I'm definitely going to give it a try! The details on yours are so nice!! Do the doors open, or no?

Edit: For real-looking windows (if you want to see through them), you can cut up the #5 plastics on things like cookies from the bakery (like these: http://plasticcontainercity.com/Bakery-Packaging.htm)

9. A friend of mine suggested, if we had the money, maybe getting a large double wardrobe and setting a room up in there. It closes away neatly, you can store doll things in it as well~! We're seriously looking into it 8D