1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Second Hand Hunter

Feb 15, 2018

1. I love second hand. I have only had 1 brand new doll before. Almost everything I ever buy is second hand. I love saving money and giving life to used unloved things. I love to thrift for anything we need. Same with dolls. I would rather buy second hand and give a used doll a new home. I also hate waiting. lol

2. I think half of my collection is second hand. Most of the dolls I like aren't that popular usually, and now that they're also "out of style" I can get them much cheaper. From half to one third the price. :celebrate

3. My first doll was a second hand doll. I really didn't want to wait because I got so excited after I saw his official pictures so I found one on the second hand market!

4. Almost all of my bjd are 2nd hand! So far only my Dollfie dream and yosd Mako are new! I love to buy preloved dolls cos i dont have to wait very long! :)

5. I’d like to get some preowned dolls in the future. Currently I have one doll on my wishlist which would have to be bought second hand (looking at you Sio2 Ragdoll). I really want to focus on buying specific dolls I’m looking for rather than just jumping on a good deal. We’ll see how that goes lol

6. I love secondhand dolls - I guess there's just something thrilling about giving a second (or third, or fourth, etc.) chance to a doll, plus there's the serendipitous feeling of finding something that just clicks. I usually don't have a sculpt in mind when I'm looking for a character, but if I browse long enough and find myself returning to one that speaks to me, I know that will be the one. There are definitely some companies I am more drawn to than others either through personal experience or through reputation, and obviously making sure the doll is legit is a big concern.

I don't really have any grails, but there are some sculpts that I adore whenever I see pictures of them. I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to OWN one...but that doesn't mean I don't occasionally browse. :sweat

7. I buy nearly everything second-hand so there's no stigma for me when it comes to dolls. So far 90% of my collection is second-hand and every one has given me a better connection to the hobby, to other collectors or just to a particular doll I ended up liking more than I thought. As far as hunting goes, I'm kinda shallow and go for the aesthetics of a doll before things like posing and cost, so whenever I see a rare or interestingly made-up doll in the MP I keep it in mind for later. Sometimes I'll give dolls with company faceups a makeover, but I've never regretted a second-hand purchase yet. And already my grumpy boy Mo is looking like a rare bird, so I'm happy I got him secondhand rather than attempt to get him new.

8. I got all of my current crew secondhand. It's not just because of the waiting times and the price. I am more drawn to dolls with a bit of history behind them. I don't even mind if they are yellowed or have some damage. My Migidoll Jina has a slight dent in his nose where his previous owner dropped him (not noticeable in photos). I think it just adds to his character.

I tend to prefer older doll sculpts anyway (and single jointed!) Most of the dolls I want are discontinued now so secondhand is my only option.

9. I love buying secondhand because I'm very impatient :lol:. So far everyone at home has been secondhand apart from one teeny. Although one of the 'secondhand' bodies was actually new but I wasn't the one to order it originally. However I do have two dolls on order currently and will be adding a head at some point who never seems to pop up secondhand. But I'd love love love it if it turned up secondhand before I ordered :XD:

10. Secondhand is appealing due to skipping waiting time. As it is, I'm still waiting for my first bjd from the company, and I don't have access to the marketplace here. Aside from facebook groups, not sure where else I'd find secondhand BJD's to browse. Well, aside from mandarake.

11. I love buying secondhand. Not only can you get the doll quicker but you never know what you'll find. Even when I first started collecting, the dolls I really wanted were hard to get directly so I managed to find them secondhand. In the past few years I've not been wanting any particular dolls so when I need a doll fix, I cruise The Marketplace or eBay just to see what's available at a good price. I've gotten some wonderful dolls this way. But now you really have to be careful on eBay as there are mainly recasts there.

12. I started out mostly buying through dealers because of the savings on customs and shipping fees, and also the short wait times for in-stock items. But when I started to fall for discontinued dolls, and when dolls I had fallen for became discontinued, I branched out to the DoA marketplace. I've had really great experiences with sellers so far, and owning those hard-to-find sculpts after a long search is pretty thrilling!

13. About 1/2 my collection is 2nd hand. generally, they are the ones that got away in their initial order period, the sculpt was discontinued or the company closed before I was able to get my greedy hands on them. I got both my grails 2nd hand. One was limited to just 100 dolls and the other had the company close before I was able to scrape together the cash to get either one. It took 7 years but I got both of them within 6 months of each other.

The MP is really dangerous for my wallet. I'll browse if I'm bored and sometimes, I'll see a doll and the want will hit me out of nowhere. Most frequently, the doll was limited/discontinued/company closed so it comes down to a now or never sort of thing because of the difficulty in finding the doll again. I'm experiencing that tough decision about an MP doll right now. I didn't tweak to him when he was available (he was limited) but I've been mooning over his sales thread for a month now.

I have one doll I'd love to have but he's OT for DoA so I can't even post a WTB for him here *sigh*. He's long discontinued and I doubt he was all that popular either because of his unusual sculpt. He's not a grail for me but I'd dearly love to have him in my collection.

14. The second hand market is really dangerous. When I am bored I find myself browsing facebook groups and instagram bjdsale tag. I have ended up with dolls I didn't think I would ever had. But you can find some really amazing deals.

15. All 3 of my dolls are second hand. I thought I’d be searching for ever as I knew which dolls and in which colours I wanted and missed out on buying new. The first one popped up and I thought I’d have time to recover financially but 2 and 3 popped up within a couple of months (thanks for PayPal credit lol!)
      I like that you get them “complete” but sometimes the stringing is a bit loose or you’d prefer a different faceup, but that will come in time.
      The major benefit of buying secondhand for me was that they were all UK sales so saved me a fortune in postage and customs fees which I would have had to pay if I bought new from America.

16. I do think there's definitely a special appeal to FINALLY FINDING THAT RARE SCULPT. I was feeling pretty smug when I finally found a DC Irma secondhand on ebay after like 7 months of looking.

I honestly think it's a good way to save money, since I almost always find rare/niche heads at shockingly good prices. Also the possibility of finding a rare sculpt secondhand keeps me from impulse buying them brand new lmao

17. Half of my dolls are second hand. I like buying second hand, as it’s a good way to find a rare / discontinued sculpt. It’s also usually cheaper, which is always a plus!

18. I love buying second hand when I can. Rare and discontinued sculpts and releases can pop up where you least expect them. Heck, I have a grail doll in the mail I never thought I'd get, being a limited release from 5 years ago and a company that isn't too common secondhand. Immediate gratification is also great! Any new doll I acquire in the future will be secondhand or in-stock from dealers most likely, I just can't handle anything but a short pre-order length :sweat

19. All of my Volks dolls were bought secondhand since there's no other way to get a doll from this company in Europe. But I don't mind and it even is kinda fun to hunt the market to find a sculpt that I like. I prefer their fcs models so it's also cheaper to buy one of them secondhand.

20. I am always looking for second hand dolls :XD: but I also buy them new and don’t mind the wait! I usually am looking for fairyland event heads second hand or bodies for floating heads hehe :cheer