1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Second Hand Hunter

Feb 15, 2018

1. The same as you!! And I'm still looking for some dolls which are sold out for a long time. Be a second hand hunter is interesting and it can help me spend the boring time.XD

2. Mostly I collect the older dolls, so YES I am always looking at the market place and Ebay.

3. Like many here I absolutely love second-hand ball-jointed dolls. It feels like they have more character than a brand new doll. I don't mind the average waiting times that most doll companies have but I do prefer owner photos over company shots as they give a more accurate depiction of the doll. As for pricing the second-hand market isn't always cheaper so it's not about making a good deal for me. I've made good friends bartering over dolls though so the community aspect is certainly a plus. There are very kind people in the community that I can't possibly thank enough for my current collection. The main reason for scouring the second-hand market though is mainly to avoid customs and import fees. They are extremely high where I live and I could easily purchase a brand new tiny with the fees on an MSD or higher.

4. All my dolls are second hand I love the fact that you see the doll fall in love and she/he is with you in couple of weeks instead of months. I do however have a couple of new on order as taken the plunge

5. I really enjoy secondhand dolls. I can no longer afford most new dolls so I cruise the Marketplace to see what's there & if there are any bargains. Unfortunately for my wallet, I often find something that I fall in love with instantly. Often I know nothing about the company but the doll speaks to me. It's a good way to get introduced to formerly unknown companies.

I would say that my collection is probably 3/4 secondhand. Back when I started collecting you either needed a shopping service or bought used. I had a number of dolls I really wanted & I was able to find them in the Marketplace or on Ebay. (Back in the day that one didn't have to worry about recasts.)

6. Half of my collections are second hand. I have no issues with second hand market. Above all the feeling when you found your favorite doll on second hand market feel like you have found the gem! I found my favorite doll as a second hand and it is the best !

7. About half of mine are probably second-hand. Generally they're dolls that are no longer available new.

I don't really have a preference, but one thing I like about second-hand dolls is that generally you know beforehand whether there are issues, and what they are. I have a few dolls with ill-fitting headcaps and flaws in the resin, and I like being able to decide beforehand whether or not a particular issue is going to be a problem for me.

8. I love buying second hand because I really hate waiting and most of my ultimate grails are nor available anymore... I have had so many good experiences with other BJD-owners (who sold their dolls to me) that I have no reason to stop it^^
      A Venitu head I bought second hand got lost in the mail and it took about three months until it finally turned up again and all the time, the seller was very caring and helpful, we both contacted our local post offices and when the head finally got sent back to him, he immediately told me and sent him again (this time with another company). So he finally arrived savely :D
      And my Ultimate grail ever: Granado V-07, I only got him because someone who owned him read one of my posts here in the forum and contacted me (Best moment in the hobby Ever! I am sooooooo happy!).
      I also like giving dolls a "second chance", so when someone wants to let go I feel good giving them a new home :)

9. I think the Brave Little Toaster hit me a little too hard when I was young, I haven't purchased my first doll, but I like the idea of restoring something and brightening it up a bit ^^ I'm excited to peak around the marketplace someday!

10. All my Volks girls I have now came through second-hand routes. I prefer second hand now, for a myriad of reasons. I've been into older dolls lately so trying to find them has been a good consumption of my time. Still whittling away to be able to visit the Marketplace here, someday! I say! I've had a little bit of luck and a lot of trial and error in other dolls markets. It's really intriguing to see the history behind a second hand doll. 0.0

11. This is such a good point; I think I'd feel that way as well.

I also find choice quite paralysing, so part of me likes the element of "chance" that comes with shopping 2nd hand. Right now, there's infinite heads, bodies, styles, faceups, aesthetics, oh my! Whereas shopping second hand, it brings it down to "do you want this specific doll or not?", and it's weirdly freeing because it's more restrictive. You don't get overwhelmed by choice or possibility, and esp if it already has a face done, you can get a sense of "what would I do with this doll?" straight away.

OH NO. NOT THAT FILM. NOOOOOO. I can't believe anyone allowed children to watch this, its clearly going to produce adults with hoarding problems...!

12. When I first discovered these dolls back in 2006, the very first thing I did was join DoA...and I’ve been happily perusing the second-hand marketplace here every day since.:) I’ve bought so many dolls for my collection there! But not only that, I feel it’s a great learning tutorial too. There are so many companies and artists and sculpts and trends out there that I can’t possibly keep up with them all. The second hand marketplace gives me a manageable snapshot of what’s happening in the BJD realm. I’ve seen so many interesting dolls there that I never even knew existed! If I found one that piqued my interest, then I would go to the discussion group for it here on DoA and see what people had to say there, and follow that up with further company research. It’s been a fun way to learn and expand my horizons as well as buy. So yeah, I love being a second-hand hunter!;)

13. Right now second hand is my bread and butter. Im awaiting my DC Ant who is technically the first doll I've bought but not the first doll I'll be getting! I have a few fixer-uppers heading my way that I'm excited for! Overall I'm a little wary of the second hand market because the potential for scams but I can't help but fall in love with project dolls... especially since I'll be less afraid to mess anything up!

14. I love second-hand shopping in general, and all of my furniture is thrifted. There's something about getting a great deal that just makes my week! Domestic shipping is a bonus. I also like project dolls because the stakes are lower. I can't imagine trying to mod a $500 new doll!

15. This! I find creative restrictions like "what dolls are available second hand (in my country) help me be creative, because I could never make a descision between thousands of new dolls what to start with.

Project dolls are the best!