1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Secondhand Secrets?

Dec 5, 2010

1. If this has already been created or is in the wrong place, feel free to lock or move~
      ----

I bought my first doll off of the MP here on DoA. I now have another secondhand doll on hold.
      When people ask me where I got my doll, I always include that she is secondhand and always will. My question is...

Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?

If so, why did you tell them it was new when it was not?

Did you ever tell them that you didn't get your doll new?

2. If someone is just curious about mine, I don't often include whether or not they're secondhand. On the other hand, if they're for sale, I include that in the information - Along with a list of previous owners, if I can work it out.

3. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?

Nope.

NA

Sure, if I'm talking about a new doll with friends, where I got the doll is part of the story. Or if someone at a meetup asks, I'll tell them truthfully. There's no stigma against buying dolls second hand, and I can't see any reason why someone would feel the need to lie about it.

4. I don't say they are 'used', they were 'adopted'!

It doesn't bother me if my new doll is new from the company or adopted just as long as I know who she/he is coming from.

5. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      Nope!

--see above--

Yeah. If anyone asks where she came from, I tell them. There's nothing wrong with buying a doll secondhand. :)

6. Why wouldn't I say my dolls are second hand? Like Taco said, there's no stigma against it.

7. I have the same opinion as Taco, Silk and Co. I don't believe there's anything wrong with having a secondhand doll. If that's the case, I will never say that he/she is new if it's not, because I still would love him even if I didn't buy him new. Maybe I'll be like proud for finding a beautiful doll that needed a family of adoption. Maybe there's some people that will be ashamed, but I don't think I could understand it and I wouldn't have that opinion.
      It can be a little extremist but I think it's like having an adopted soon. Will you love him less or being ashamed of him for not being yours?No. I'd love him the same way.

Did you asked because it happened in some place or it's just curiosity?^^

8. Kirtash80 - Just out of curiosity. Nothing happened of the such to me. I was just wondering >w<

9. I agree with what others have said~ I don't think I'd have any issues with having a second-hand doll, nor would I deny it! I mean... XD It'd be silly to parade the doll around and rub it in people's faces that it was second-hand, but if people asked where I got it from, I'd give the company, but also note that she/he came from ___, as well~

I can see, especially after posting in the "Dollie Superiority" thread (I don't think that was the title, but that was the idea!), where you might suspect some people to have that sort of... Stuck-up opinion about second-hand dolls? D: I think that so many people sell their dolls second-hand that I would think that sort of thing is pretty rare, though. I don't think anyone would sell a doll if they were the type of person that thought "buying" a doll second-hand was a bad/lesser thing to do~

10. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      Never

n/a

I don't care who knows. 15 of my current 27 dolls were pre-owned.
      I have purchased and/or traded many of my dolls either here on DOA or on EBay.
      I've never had an problem buying dolls from people. Their condition is important, not who I got it from.
      Several of my dolls I wouldn't even have if that was an issue for me. Like my Okitas or my Breakaway.

11. Two of my dolls are second hand, and two are new. I have no problem with mentioning it, and honestly, my favorite out of the whole bunch happens to be one of those infamous second hand dolls. It didn't make me love him any less that's for sure.

12. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      Nope, I don't see why I would.

If people ask about my doll and where I got him I do mention that he's 2nd hand and a few years old. I generally buy new so he's sort of special that way - in my collection I mean. :)

13. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      Hmmm... nope! I do mention "new faceup" or "new hands" ;) 2/4 of my crew is 2nd hand. most of all the dolls I've bought are 2nd hand though.

Not unless they ask. They're 2nd hand, or 'adopted' in my cases. I tell them their pasts, like my red came from europe, and my breakaway was in a fire. Other then that... i think buying 2nd hand helps add more personality to the doll

14. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?

Why would I do that? ._.

N/A

I told my family that I got Raven secondhand. My sister was curious so I described a bit about how the Marketplace works, and my dad's only response was that "Victor must've cost twice as much then" xD

15. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      No, I'm not ashamed to tell people that my doll was bought off the MP. Isn't that why the MP is there? To me, it's almost like buying a used car. If I can buy a Toyota that works mechanically and looks physically the same used, for a cheaper price...why would I want to spend more on a new one? It seems like a smarter move to me to buy used then to buy new (assuming that the used product had little to no damage.)

N/A

Oh yes, multiple times. I was bothered a little at first because I couldn't "Afford" to buy it straight from the company. But while others may wait months for their dolls to arrive, I can wait merely a week. I see many more Pros then Cons from buying used. (Please note, I'm not "Bashing" new dolls by any means. I personally have bought a doll new before since it was limited. I can see pros for both, I just prefer buying used)

16. I don't always say if my dolls are secondhand or not, but that's just because it doesn't come up in conversation. In fact, every doll I own is second- (or third-, or fourth-) hand. If someone asks where I got one of my dolls, I usually just site the company if they're in the hobby, or tell them my "BJD speech" if they aren't.

Given the propensity for BJD companies to make limited sculpts or to discontinue sculpts that don't do as well, and hobbyists in wanting those self-same sculpts, I doubt there is, or ever will be, much of a stigma with secondhand dolls.

17. My first two dolls are secondhand, and I can't see any reasons for saying that they are new if someone is asking. I like the term "adopted" too! I gave them a new home when someone couldn't keep them anymore. I think I have a kind of obsession to save old and broken items and things anyway in general... ._.

18. All of my dolls are second hand, the only new doll I've ever bought I ended up selling. Nothing wrong with pre-loved goods! That being said I tend say things like: "She's new, I got her second hand off the MP." Because I if it was made this year I'll call it new. Sometimes my "newest" dolls are not the ones most recently purchased!

19. I love pre-loved dolls. I always check the MP or ebay for the dolls I am interested in before committing to buying them new. In addition to that, there are a few companies that I prefer not to buy from, so I will only buy those dolls second hand (or from dealers if they're in stock).

Shopping/hunting for good deals on a pre-owned doll is part of the fun for me in the hobby and I would never keep it a secret, especially if it was a really good price! XD

20. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?

Of course not.

NA

Did you ever tell them that you didn't get your doll new?[/QUOTE]

If people ask where I got a doll, I tell them. As everyone else has said, there's no stigma to a second-hand doll. Besides, some limited dolls aren't available at all except for second-hand. And almost all doll owners enjoy thrill-of-the-hunt stories, where we can live vicariously the account of the acquisition of a much-wanted doll. If fact, I probably talk too much about my second-hand crew! A couple of them were damaged and required a lot of work to get them to their current conditions and I'm proud of them.