1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Seller's remorse?

Oct 24, 2009

1. I once sold a doll and severely regretted selling her, not because i missed her, but because of what the buyer did to her.

My sweet little girl with a stunning face-up became some sort of modded cyberdroidsexkitten.
      And it wasnt even the destruction of her pretty, pretty face-up that bugged me, or her horrid characther change.
      It was how badly (crude and uneven) mods and new face-up where done.

2. No, I never get that. I sell a doll only if i know in my heart of heart I don't love it as well as the others, then I'd sooner it go to a good home and make someone as happy as mine make me. :) Also the cash never hurts. ;)

3. ... I wish I hadn't seen this thread. 8'D So far, I've bought and sold plenty of dolls and parts, and most of the time, I'm fine. And then, one day, I bought a (really cheap) body from Domuya. And a Breakaway 08 head. And somehow, they came together into this facinating character, almost by accident, really. Then I acquired a Breakaway 05, which I had thought was my grail doll, so I stared at the two Breakways and decided, eh, the 08 can probably go. After all, I wanted the 05 version, and I wanted NS, not white skin, and, really, the modding on the 08 was not fantastic.

*facepalm*

I should have known better than to attempt to fight fate. But that said, I don't think I'm going to try too hard to bring him back. I'll just see if, eventually, he drifts gently back in my direction, and maybe I'll get a second chance at making it right. We'll see.

:(

4. Did you ever sell a doll, only to really regret it later?

I am not sure if regret is the right word, but I do feel strange about it now sometimes! Perhaps just because it was the first doll I have ever sold.

If so, is it a matter of missing the doll you bonded with, or just become re-attracted to the sculpt in general?

It is definitely just missing the doll himself. He was a gift, and the person I sold him to is someone I know personally so it is really weird seeing him around as a totally new character!

Did you find you missed the versatile sculpts more than dolls that had some sort of sentimental value?

Definitely just the doll himself... I am not terribly attached to the sculpt.

How did you get over the remorse? Did you just wait it out? Or did you use the proceeds to invest in something you liked better?

I sold him in the first place to make the same character as a bigger doll, and used the money I got from selling him to get the head for this new doll. I am IN LOVE with this head sculpt, so that definitely helps. It is still odd and sometimes I think it over and wonder if I did the right thing, but when I look at the head I got out of the deal... I am totally pleased.

I am considering selling my VERY first doll, which might be a different story. We'll see how that goes!

5. I have only sold one doll so far, a Luts KDF Bory. I bought him as a Christmas present to myself in 2009, and he sat around blank and mostly in his box for months. I was still too afraid to try faceups at this point and also afraid to send him to anyone for one. I came to the realization that the MSD size just wasn't right for me, and ended up selling him. When I see really cute Borys, I do regret it sometimes, I think I should have maybe thought of some different character ideas before selling him, but I think his new owner is really happy with him, so that makes me feel better. :)

6. Pandora - I think you said it all in a caring but concise way. Well said!

7. Currently I only have one BJD, but am looking at getting a Dollndoll Mo. I've had pullips though, and so far I've managed to sell without regret. I tend to beat myself up about it before the doll is sold, and then when they're gone, they're gone and I can't change it. If I missed them that much I suppose I'd consider buying a replacment

8. Even if it's the last resort or a real huge emergency then I would have to sell them but I would never sell my Mizuki. She is my first and always will be my angel that I can lean on. I hope I won't have to go through this at all. I am usually careful on what dolls I chose so I won't have to feel I have to sell them ya know? Bless those who had to give their dolls away and regret it later. My heart goes to you :(

9. I've sold one of my custom Dollfie Dream that I didn't bond to, and actually didn't like very much.

I was okay selling her, and I needed money.

But for some reason, when I saw how she changed when my buyer customized her... She had blue eyes with a soft face and dark blue hair, now she's got puprle eyes, pink makeup & eyebrows and a platinum blond wig just made me feel reaaaaally weird... I kinda regretted, as I didn't really like what she did of her XD

10. I worry about this. I'm currently reshelling my first two dolls from Obitsu to Minifees and I'm not sure what I want to do with their old bodies when it's done. I don't think they'd be worth selling, though I have considered giving them to my 10-year-old neice who loves dolls. But will she love them enough and take good care of them? Will she take good care of them? But then I tend to horde my craft stuff and awonder if I'll need them later!

When I buy a doll/head on the marketplace, I always tell the seller up front if I plan to modify it in any way or remove the face-up so that they don't see it later and feel bad about their baby.

11. Now I'm on pretty much the same boat. Maybe a bit more complicated, sold my MSD to upgrade to and SD. For some reason (I assume size) I was never all that happy with the SD, it spent 2 year sitting alone on the shelf. So now I have packed him and am trying to sell it to get back to MSD's.

Thing is, just today, after watching some awesome SD sized dolls I'm starting to regret it. Maybe I should give up on the idea of selling him and try to find something that works for it. I'm just as confused oTL.

12. So far I've sold two dolls. The first one I was fine with, but the doll that I just sold recently...really hit me hard. I hadn't taken him out to play with for a looooooong time, and when I finally dug him out to do some faceup adjusting and put him in clothes and took some pictures for the new owner I started to realize how much I really loved him. I sent him out anyways, and there is a small part of me that regrets it. My suggestion is, if you're going to sell a doll you really love, try and make friends with the new owner. The girl I sold my doll to ALSO bought my first doll. xD She actually lives in my province, and we've become pretty good friends, so at the very least I know that some time if there's a meetup I might get to see my boy again. And it's great to look at the box opening for your doll. Seeing the new owner playing with the doll and loving the doll really helps you feel like selling it was the right move.

13. I've never had remorse about selling a doll. I did have remorse at selling some fantasy parts though. It was a really odd feeling.
      I sold my Soom Ai hooves because I didn't have a character at the time for them and I regretted it the moment I shipped them off. I recently bought a new pair that seems to be fine but they just don't have the 'perfect' feeling my original set had, so I still regret selling the first pair. :(

14. Yes, it was my pair of Junior twins that really tore me when I sold them.

It was precisely for the reason I was so attached that I sold them though. And for the sake of a promise I made to a friend. I hated the emotional baggage that came with those two, and there were too many memories, both good and bad. So I sold them. I can't say that I regret it but I can't say I was happy with the decision either.

Either way, I at least know that one of them has been wiped and perhaps even customized differently so I know there's no way I'd ever see those particular dolls the same way again. And I think I'm happier with that fact than anything else.

15. That's pretty smart. They do say that bodies are the easiest to acquire.

16. Since before getting into the hobby I had always wanted a DOT Sha.. I ended up not getting him because I decided on Ducan.. Then Soom ended up happening which pushed him back... Finally I was able to buy him.. I loved him when he came home.. But after sometime I stopped bonding with him.. I tried hard to bond with him changing his eyes and wig.. All my dolls felt like they had life to them.. Not my Sha he always had this blank, dead expression.. I ended up trading him off.. Sadly he was put up for sale the day he arrived to the other person..

I ended up actually starting to slowly miss him... He popped back up for sale again in the MP.. Only it was a time I did not have the funds to buy him back again.. Though I am really happy he is now with someone who truly loves him... I have plans to once again buy another Sha in the future.. I often find myself looking back at his pictures wishing I would have tried harder.. But I know I can buy another and try harder this time to make it work.. Maybe try a different face up :)

17. I think it depends what you're in this hobby for. Some have dolls that become our friends, and that's fine. Some have dolls that are amazing pieces of three-dimensional art that change and grow and flourish with their owners before passing on and going to a new owner. That's also fine.

I bought my first doll more out of curiosity than anything else. I was enchanted with the photography I'd seen and the way some of them looked like they had souls. I didn't hunt around, I settled on the first sculpt that intrigued me, and brought him home a year ago.
      I feel so bad just thinking about it, but I have to admit, at first we just didn't really click. I saw him as this beautiful item I'd get out and look at, and his character just wasn't really happening. He spent a lot of time in his box. I wanted clothes, but didn't know what kind of style to go for, because I didn't know him.
      Then I saw this new sculpt, a bit more realistic, and began to think maybe it was time (already) for him to change.

I am SO glad that didn't happen.
      I held onto him, more because I'm not yet eligible to use the marketplace than anything else. I got more and more into the hobby, practicing face-up after face-up on my boy as practice, until suddenly I came to a point where I could see his eyes looking back at me.
      He's not the kind of sculpt I would ever choose again, but I've made him into something I find incredibly beautiful and I love every freckle I painstakingly painted. He has a name I love and a character that continues to grow as I do.
      It may be unrealistic and maybe selfish, but now I don't think I could ever sell him, it would be like selling part of me. And he's already helped me through a difficult year.

I think owners need to realize before they bring these special dolls home that bonding is not just up to the doll.
      Sometimes they won't just arrive and reach out and grab your imagination straight away, sometimes it takes time, and hard work on your part. If you're not prepared to spend that time on the doll and give him or her a good chance, why did you spend the money in the first place?
      I have my second doll now, and although she is possibly the prettiest sculpt I have ever seen I'm still getting to know her. It's going to take time, she won't be 'finished' for a while. But I am enjoying the process. :)

That said, I realize this doesn't actually relate much to the question anymore.
      I don't have any remorse about NOT selling my doll. I am seriously so relieved that I didn't.

18. I had this experience once. The doll was a Resinsoul Song. I wasnt paying him enough attention since I've gotten newer dolls and I thought I didnt like him anymore, so I put him up for sale. He sold a couple of days later, I was happy that he has found a happier home. BUT a few weeks later, I was browsing thru my old doll pictures and saw some pictures of him, and guilt strikes. I thought, why did I sell him? He's such a beautiful doll! Well, cant go back to the past now.

I wanted him back and coincidentally I sold another doll and so I had the money to buy another Song! So I did and he's back and more beautiful than ever! XD

19. I haven't missed the heads I have sold, because as characters they had evolved out of that sculpt. But there were a couple of bodies that I sold that I later kicked myself for selling.
      One was a DollZone older girl body, not a very good-looking body, but sturdy as a tank. I upgraded to the new-style body and discovered I didn't like it's posing as well as the old one. At all. The second one was a Resinsoul Long body and as soon as I sold it I knew I had made a mistake--it was easy enough to replace, thank goodness, but I should have figured out the look of the character was completely tied up with how that floppy, drama-queen body moved and posed.

20. I am sure there was dolls I did not want to sell, but when you over do the bills and you need sales fast it's the popular ones that have to go. Then when you can afford to buying them always costs more. So selling the ones I regret has taught me to be more careful and go with my heart & brain and less with heart as some I have bought were poor subs for what I really wanted.