1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling: Do we need to justify it? (Sentimentality in sales threads)

Jul 15, 2009

1. To buyers and sellers: Why do you feel there is a need to explain the reason for selling a doll? I don't think there is a need to at all, I do sometimes give a brief explanation, generally so people understand what I am open to, as in "I want to upgrade his body" this way I am less likely to receive trade offers of smaller bodies, or ones I am not interested in, etc. I honestly don't care why someone is selling a doll, what I do care about it the condition of the doll.

To sellers:
      Do you feel the need to justify your sale in your thread? (IE, do you mention "not bonding" or state the reason you are selling the doll?) If so, why?
      Nope, not at all, the important things a buyer needs to know are what the doll is, the condition, the price, and any special conditions of sale (eg layway etc) My reason for selling is just that, mine, and no one else's business. Sometimes i give a brief reason as above, but it is more to inform people of what I am interested in and will and won't accept as trades (or if I will) rather than justifying a sale. My doll, I can sell it if I want to and why I want to is no one else's business.

Do you feel you have to justify the reason you are parting with a doll so you don't seem like a bad person? Not at all, even if I had a sought after LE arrive that day and decide to sell moments after getting it my reasons are my own. If someone wanted to accuses me of something unscrupulous they could do so, I would answer, but there is no reason to justify my actions in this way. I am a good person, I know it, and those who deal with me know it. If someone thinks I am doing the wrong thing fine, they can choose not to buy.

Do you think that adding a personal story will encourage buyers? Not really, the most it can do is reassure that the doll si in good condition and not being sold because of a flaw, and I think that is better told by saying "the doll is in excellent condition" Otherwise it is, as I said, a control on offers. I have seen people say "I am getting out of the hobby, so no trades please" that is not a justification of their action, but a time saving device, it saves time for buyer and seller if they are on the same page to start with.

For buyers:
      Does it matter whether or not a seller lists their reasons for selling?
      not at all. You can tell me that your read headed stepchild used the doll to commit ritualistic murders of neighborhood infants by stabbing them with the leg piees...does not matter. If I want the doll and the price and condition are right your reason for selling is not going to affect my habits of buying. (ok...you know I have a weird mental image of that now right? weird BJD Freddy Kreuger moment)

Do you want to hear why a doll is not working out for them? Only if it is an issue over the sculpt having some flaw, like "I am having real trouble posing him, so I want to get a more secure body" I bought a doll like this once because I was sure I could fix him. I still have him and love him to pieces. Not long ago I thought I would have to sell that body and it broke my heart, but I needed to upgrade to a taller body, that need has since been overcome and I am thrilled to keep my "bad poser" (for those who know my dolls this is Cain's really old Iplehouse body, best purchase I ever made in the marketplace)

Are you more likely to buy a doll where the reasons for selling or stated, or do you just see them as an attempt to garner attention or facilitate a fast sale? I see them as nothing besides a waste of space. Give me the facts. If you have a sob story sure I will feel sympathy, but atht will not affect what I will pay for the doll, in fact I rarely read resons for selling, I skim for the information I need, decide what I am willing to pay, THEN I read the full post. This way ensures NO emotional involvement in the sale besides my own desires.

You know I just re-read this and man I come off as totally cold hearted and nasty, but I am not, I am just cautious with money, love my dolls, and make up my own mind about things. Sure I want to adopt unloved or even "difficult" dolls at times, but honestly I do what is right for me and my collection, I don't think I have to give reasons for actions (though I generally will if asked) and I don't think anyone else should feel the pressure to either.

2. I think a lot of dolls are very personal things. They aren't just objects you would sell, like a car. They have sentimentality attached to them from the outset. Selling a doll can sometimes be quite upsetting too as there is a bond with the doll more often than not.

3. I generally sell dolls when I need money for real life expenses & simply state what that is, taxes, insurance, vet bills, etc. I don't go into a long story since I figure nobody wants to know all the details anyway. Basically it's just a way of reassuring buyers that I'm highly discounting dolls because of financial neccesity, not because anything is wrong with the dolls. If a doll does have a problem, I'll state it in the actual description of the doll.

This thread has brought up an interesting idea & one I never thought about before, the idea that some buyers may be leary of sellers needing money as it might delay the shipping of their doll or the seller may be a bit unstable. I honestly never considered that & hope that my given reasons aren't a deterant to anybody. Since I usually price things well below market retail I thought that I needed to give potential buyes a reason for this so they wouldn't worry about the dolls themselves.

When I'm buying, a seller's feedback means more to me than any actual reason. And I'm more likely to buy a doll because there's something about it's expression that makes me feel sorry for it rather than the seller.

4. There's a Market Value thread, but I'm not sure how useful it iactually is as I've never done more than glance at it.

I agree wholeheartedly with your opinion that they should be struck from the MP and one should either sell or don't sell. But I guess that's a topic for another thread. :sweat

5. For the doll head I'm selling, I have briefly stated that I'm selling it due to a mould change in the character due to size, to some spare puki parts I had I mentioned that they were surplus. I've done that so that people know I'm not selling it because there are any problems with it, but because I have no use for it. I do look at people's reasons when buying as a general, but of course I do only buy something if I am after it and can afford it

6. To sellers:
      Do you feel the need to justify your sale in your thread? (IE, do you mention "not bonding" or state the reason you are selling the doll?) If so, why?

Not really... although I usually do write a short comment like "the doll doesn't fit in my family". Just a few words or none at all.

Do you feel you have to justify the reason you are parting with a doll so you don't seem like a bad person?

NO. I seriosuly wouldn't care what people -- that kind of people-- think. I think it's silly to assume that someone is a bad/mean for selling their "poor unloved doll".

Do you think that adding a personal story will encourage buyers?

NO! I am saying it as a buyer... After having to read a really long story about the seller's OC just to spot the price of the doll... Please no...

For buyers:

Not really. Sometimes I am wondering but I will end up assuming that a) the seller needs money, b) the doll doesn't really fit in the family, isn't what the seller hoped it would be

Do you want to hear why a doll is not working out for them?

Not really ^^;

Are you more likely to buy a doll where the reasons for selling or stated, or do you just see them as an attempt to garner attention or facilitate a fast sale?

No, I don't care about the seller's reasons/situation. I've seen dolls being put for sale because "they don't fit in the family", and after not selling fast the reason would change to "I lost my job, I really need money :( ". I am not saying that all sellers who state they need money lie, but either way I don't care. I wouldn't buy a doll I don't want just to help someone.

7. I don't generally mind a short explanation of why a doll is being sold, but I get annoyed when someone launches into a sob story that they think justifies charging what they paid a couple of years ago when the exchange rate was worse for a doll with serious damage. You know-"My mom's in the hospital and I have to pay the rent so I really NEED to get (new full price amount) for this doll. He/she's almost in new condition except for some yellowing here and there and oh yes, I broke all the fingers on the right hand and there's a couple of bite marks on the left ear lobe but otherwise he/she is perfect."

Sorry, not a charitable foundation here.

8. For buyers:
      No. I think it's silly and a little bit annoying that this practice is the norm in this community, but I don't necessarily hold this against the seller. Perhaps they feel they need to put in that line in order to appeal to the portion of the doll community that prefers or even insists on emotional attachment to dolls. Or maybe they're just sappier than I am.

What does cause me to click away is when people seem really dramatic or long-winded about it. This makes me think a) you are hiding something or b) you aren't ready to part with the doll. Either way, too awkward for me, bye-bye.

EDIT: One thing that I truly detest, though, is attaching a sob story to your sales thread. If you are implying that you are willing to negotiate a lower price because you urgently need to sell, that's fine and a reasonable way to attract attention. But if you are implying that I should pay the price you set because of pity... ew. That's not businesslike and I won't deal with it.

No. When you say "not bonding" I immediately translate it to "didn't fulfill the expectations I got from the promo pics," which is fine. Ordering online is like that - I can understand how even though the item is exactly as it looked in the pictures, and there is no damage, it still isn't what you imagined. I think people feel obligated to phrase this as "not bonding" though, because the less sentimental explanation might sound like flipping, or it might sound like the quality of the doll is not on par.

Are you more likely to buy a doll where the reasons for selling or stated, or do you just see them as an attempt to garner attention or facilitate a fast sale?
      Attention, definitely. I would not be more likely to buy, but as I said before I won't count it against the seller either since I know these sorts of justifications are the norm here. I roll my eyes a little because, well, it's not my style, but unless you go overboard it won't deter me from buying.

To me, this justifying the reason to sell, emphasis on "bonding" etc is just one of many little affectations of the bjd community. Sometimes I find it endearing. Sometimes I find it amusing.

...and sometimes I find it utterly exasperating. ;)

9. As long as everything I want to know about the doll itself is also included, I don't mind the buyer listing more personal reasons for selling the doll. In fact, I think it's kind of interesting to see what can make someone put their doll up for sale. There are all sorts of reasons, and it's kind of a comfort to me to know why they're selling it, otherwise I get suspicious that there might be something wrong with the doll. Don't get me wrong; whether personal reasons for selling the doll are listed or not, it's really not going to affect if I buy that doll.
      If I want to buy a doll, I'm going to buy it no matter what the personal reasons for selling it are (as long as the doll is in good condition, of course). On the other hand, personal reasons are not going to make me buy a doll that I have no intent on buying. I'm very focused when it comes to shopping, in real life or online. However, the buyer giving some background on the doll can help when I'm randomly browsing the market with money and intent to buy a doll, but no particular doll in mind. I'm much more likely to gravitate towards a doll that's been through two or three owners than one being sold for the first time. Yes, I will admit to feeling sympathy for inanimate objects XD But that's not a bad thing.
      If sellers want to list their personal reasons for selling their doll, why not? :) Besides, it makes starting the sales thread a lot easier by explaining why you're selling the doll than just listing prices and pictures.

10. To buyers and sellers: Why do you feel there is a need to explain the reason for selling a doll?
      -Like how many others said, to show that the doll has no damage/defects.

To sellers:
      -Yes, first because I'm just used to it and second, because like how many others said, to show that the doll has no damage/defects.

Do you feel you have to justify the reason you are parting with a doll so you don't seem like a bad person?
      -No, it's not like you're selling your own child or anything.
      It's just a doll (although some people think of their dolls as their children), which means it's just like selling a DVD or sth like that..

-No, not really.
      I'm personally not encouraged, but I'm not discouraged either.

For buyers:
      -It would be nice to know, but I won't ask them if the reason is not listed.

No, just a short reason why they're selling the doll (I'm not interested in their dog's left leg sergery, etc)

It wouldn't discourage me from buying the doll even if the reasons were not stated.
      And Unless their story is like five sentences long, I wouldn't look at it as wanting to get attention (which then discourages me).

11. Actually, I find it really distasteful if I find no explanation of reasons for selling.
      It seems so....cold and unfeeling somehow.

12. yes i do actually. thanks*_*:?

you guys are really going to give me nightmares now ...

13. Do you feel the need to justify your sale in your thread? (IE, do you mention "not bonding" or state the reason you are selling the doll?) If so, why?
      I feel a need not to appeal to others but just because I always feel a little bad about selling a doll.

Well, I personally don't care so much about whether I seem like a bad person or not... but I'm personally attacked by one of my friends every time I sell a doll... So sometimes I think it would be a good idea to add a lengthy explanation just to get her off my back...

No, I don't see how that would affect one's decision on buying a doll that they want.

Not at all, if it's the doll I want and the price and condition are right then I buy it.

I wouldn't mind hearing it if the seller felt the need to share.

I don't see it as an attempt to try to sell the doll. I just see it as part of the description of the doll and the doll's past... And if there were two of the same doll in the exact same condition for the same price I really can't imagine an explanation as to why the person is selling the doll as making a difference. The photography of the doll being sold, the seller's feedback, the seller's location, and a detailed explanation of what's included and how it will be shipped are much more important.

14. To sellers:
      Do you feel the need to justify your sale in your thread? If so, why?
      I do, mostly because it feels like some sort of practice on the marketplace. But I mostly keep to simple reasons like "not bonding" or "too big for me", which simply is the truth. I don't have any long stories behind my sales :)

Yeah, like I said. It seems like marketplace practice and also I tell about the reason because I want people to know that there's nothing wrong with the doll (wrong like in damage or something).

No, rather the opposite in my case.

For buyers:
      No, not unless it's a damaged or defective doll. But I don't mind a brief "need the money" or "don't bond"-comment either.

I prefer not to read long detailed stories about why the doll is being sold. If it's a too sad story I might be wary of buying the doll in case the seller would regret the sale.

I'm more likely to buy from someone with no reason or a brief nonsentimental reason. To much details might put me off personally, but that's just me.

15. Because dolls are toys, and toys tend to be objects for which I have attachment for, a story would make me want to buy the doll more so than to not want to.

However, at the same time, I would only buy a doll second-hand if I couldn't get it from the company so if I'm looking to buy it and want it badly enough, as long as the person has good feedback, I'd get it either way.

16. I don't see a reason for sentimentality, especially when this is a business transaction, not making friends (oh, how cold I seem)
      People have already touched on the explanation of not bonding when the doll had only just arrived at their house, to avoid the scalping idea.

Do you feel the need to justify your sale in your thread? (IE, do you mention "not bonding" or state the reason you are selling the doll?) If so, why? Already explained by others :)

Do you feel you have to justify the reason you are parting with a doll so you don't seem like a bad person? I personally don't. I suppose I feel sad that it didn't work out, but it shouldn't include in the sale post.

Perhaps ;) This is a generalisation, but as the majority of doll collectors are women, we're a lot more personal and emotional so a story will appeal.

Does it matter whether or not a seller lists their reasons for selling? Unless the doll had arrived the same day/week, not particularly. I would be fine with "downsizing the family" idea.

Do you want to hear why a doll is not working out for them? A sentence or two should suffice, not everyone wants to read a gigantic biography.

Are you more likely to buy a doll where the reasons for selling or[sic] stated, or do you just see them as an attempt to garner attention or facilitate a fast sale?
      Tbh, I just look at the pictures and the price :sweat But sellers would garner attention to make you look at their sale post.

Looking at my own sale posts, they seems slightly personal and large amounts of writing, but as I try to write the way I talk (so I don't miss out words XD) I make sure it makes coherent sense. That's my main concern. I feel bad asking questions that seem to be obvious.

17. I always give a short explanation as to why I'm selling a doll---not bonding, not the character I envisioned, wrong size for me, etc. Nothing long, sad, pathetic and drawn-out, but just enough to give a "reason" more so than a "justification". I put it there not only for a potential buyer who might care to know, but also for my own benefit. If a buyer is curious, they can take the extra five seconds to read it. If not, there's nothing wrong with them skipping right over my simple sentence and getting straight to the solid facts and information about the doll in question.

When I write my sentence of reasoning, they can choose to read it or not. I just put it there for both our benefit---this way, the buyer can have a choice to know or not, just like I had the choice to explain myself myself or not---and I myself, always choose to do so.;)

18. I usually don't even notice if the seller doesn't explain in the sales thread why they want to sell. if it is simple 'we're not bonding' or something like that, it also sounds totally fine with me. When there is a lot of sentimentality in the thread, like 'this doll is so precious for me, I love him so much, I hate to let him go but I want another doll'... well, actually I never bought a doll 'advertised' like that, I don't think it would have stopped me from buying. But when I read it, I find it a bit distasteful.
      When I sell a doll, I usually explain the reason briefly. I see it as a part of providing full information about a doll.

19. Do you feel the need to justify your sale in your thread? (IE, do you mention "not bonding" or state the reason you are selling the doll?) If so, why?

Yeah I do mention that. First to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the doll exepct personal taste. Second, it always kinda hurt to give a way something even if you doens't bound so I tell the maybe buyer. Why not? I do care for the doll even if I have to give it away. So what?

On buyers side, it wouldn't change my mind on buying or not buying if the seller tells his reasons. But would also not be annoyed. anyway everyone want's to sell his things fast and will get attention to his thread. Whats wrong with that?

20. I've only sold one doll on the forum, and I can't remember what I said, so the seller part doesn't really apply to me. But as a buyer, I admit I'm always kinda curious why someone is selling their doll. I don't need to know an elaborate story, I just want a short "I need funds for medical expenses" or "I just can't bond". It doesn't really matter if the post has the reasoning or not (in other words I'd still buy the doll without that), I'm just curious. Mostly because I'm a nosy person. :lol:

That said, the reason behind the sale doesn't make any impact on whether or not I consider buying the doll. If I like the doll enough, and I have the money, I'll buy it...and if I happen to help someone along with their medical expenses or what-have-you at the same time, so much the better. And if I don't like the doll enough or can't justify the expense, I don't buy it regardless of the reason.