1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling: Do we need to justify it? (Sentimentality in sales threads)

Jul 15, 2009

1. I have sold a dollbody, and have a feeler up for a head. :) I like to give a short reason for selling the doll[part], because out of my curious nature, I like to know howcome people are selling their dolls. :) Not necessarily any long descriptions/details, but I like to know why.

I guess I also like giving a reason, for these reasons:

1. Some of my doll friends and acquaintances have never sold a doll. I ... how to explain it, get this feeling then that it's not done/common to sell a doll. Not that they tell me that I shouldn't sell dolls (on the contrary, they think it's just fine if I wanna sell dolls), but the you-don't-sell-dolls rubs off on me (I hope that makes sense).

2. I see dolls as very versatile. Wigs, eyes, faceups and mods can make a very large difference to a doll. In my opinion, and I know that this is subjective, and that others won't agree with me - which I understand - I feel like i'm quitting, if I am selling a doll. To me it means that I can't wring anything out of the many possibilities that the doll offers me. However, I am also lazy, and in many cases it's just easier to get a more suitable sculpt. XD And of course, a thing like the body I sold was something I had no use for.

Besides, when making a sales thread I usually state that I actually think it's a nice item i'm selling; that the quality's great. And then I think - I need something to counter that. If the item's so amazingly wonderful, why am I parting with it? :)

On a last note, I think it's a fair thing to say that people who are not used to the metric system (e.g. Americans) may be surprised by the exact size of a doll, unless they've whipped out a ruler, or done some conversion. :) I don't consider that 'racist' condemning or anything. It's like saying ... I'm Danish, it'd make sense if I perhaps were not that familiar with Spanish, or Canadian politics. :)

2. I agree. I am an American and I actually did look up the conversions before ordering my first boy, a Senior Delf. It wasn't that hard. I said "Ok, he's going to be this tall. I'm cool with that." Then I received him, opened the box, and went "OMG he's HUGE!" But, right after that, my next thought was "He's perfect!" Followed by a large amount of squeeing my grandmother was unused to from her 28-year old grandchild.

Just because someone can get a sense of height, it doesn't give a sense of a doll's overall proportions. Everyone was new to this hobby at one point or another, and not all of us have the luxury to see a doll firsthand before ordering. They can be overwhelming when one sees them for the first time, especially the larger ones. It is certainly not a reason to give anyone grief.

OT post is OT. Moving on...

3. I don't really mind what personal reason the person is selling the doll for, as long as all the relevant information is in the post. I'm not buying the doll to do anyone a favour, I'm buying it because I want it, to put it simply. People don't have to justify why they're selling the doll - not bonding or needing the cash or whatever - but at the same time I don't really care if it's mentioned in the sales post.
      However, if there's a long drawn out blurb about what a regretful sale it was and how they wish they didn't have to sell and so on, I'm likely to be put off. It just seems like the more regretful the sale is the more likely the seller may flake.

4. Hmm...well I am an American and almost every ruler I have ever looked at or owned since I was a child has had centimeters on it as well as inches, so I find it surprising that other Americans wouldn't have an idea of how big something was in centimeters, but hey it is no big deal to me one way or another as long as I know and understand the size of something. ;)

Perhaps size has more to do with proportions than actual lengths and heights and widths. Even with a ruler and understanding the size of things, you may find that something just doesn't agree proportionally with the decor of your room/house/apartment or perhaps the size in person just looks off to you (even if you knew perfectly well the exact dimensions). There is nothing to compare to seeing something in person ^_^

5. i think saying something like "i'm just not bonding with ____ doll" is nicer then saying
      "i only collect ____ doll i gave ____ doll a try but it's nose is to big to fit in with my family" haha
      as a seller you always want to say positive things about the product your selling.
      buying a doll is a rather big commitment as a buyer you don't want to hear the original owner of the doll thinks the dolls ugly or whatever ^^

6. Yep, I have only sold a few dolls, and for a couple of them my reason was "ewww, not what I was expecting."

7. I read this as a dig at all Americans in that they can't look at a ruler and find out a simple measurement. I'm sorry, but that is innappropiate for a forum who maintains that racism is a no go. Why the words because you're American? Definitely not 'not racism', but it may not be considered racism. My question is, why just America? Why not England, or Canada, or France, or Holland? They're on this board too. Exclusion of a specific race or country on no positive grounds and no real reason why whatsoever can be racism.

Sorry, this is my final OT post.

ETA: Shoot, it was unnecessary baiting, and I fell for it. *facepalm* I do regret falling for it, but I don't regret stating the obvious.

8. Adhara - As an American I really do appreciate you sticking up for us! I live abroad and I hear plenty of “stupid American” bashing all the time :( But I don’t think the original poster intended to bash us. I think “American” was just an example of a well known country that does not use the metric system so they could possibly not have paid attention to the cm. It might not be widely known outside the USA that most Americans do in fact own rulers that use the Metric System and Imperial System both :)

9. Yeah, 95% of rulers I've seen in the US have centimeters on them - and many units of measure here are marked in both (like car speedometers have both MPH and KPH on them).

But to the "do we need to justify it" question... I do like to have a simple explanation. It's not necessary, but hearing "I need the money quickly" does relieve some of the "Is there something wrong I'm not seeing?" especially if the price is unusually low, or something like that. I admit that I'm often VERY curious as to why a doll's selling, especially if I've seen a post or photoshoot or even box opening from only a month or less ago stating how much the doll is loved and how well they're bonded and how he'll never, ever be sold.

I don't need a long sob story, though. If someone's THAT reluctant to sell I'm reluctant to buy, in case they change their mind, or because I feel sorry for them and hope they keep it.

10. I did not take the original post as a bash or a rude. The wording was felt (to me) as was ment (by the poster) Looking to deep into something to make it bad is probably more of the problem then the actual post.

11. I'm so used to dealing with doll websites that use cm, it's actually very strange when props, furniture, and some dealers use inches, lol. I remember when I was looking into buying my first bjd I just pulled out a measuring tape so I could get a full feel for what the size would be--I would've needed to do that even if they were listed in inches though, because hearing a number and trying to visualize it in your head, and actually seeing a measuring tape or ruler laid out can be two different things no matter what system you use. And of course, little can prepare you for actually holding a bjd in your hands for the very first time.

12. When you look at this hobby, it is very sentimental in general.
      Most people seem to enjoy this hobby through pretending their dolls are real, and have real personalities and quirks. Many people who fail to bond with a specific doll simply don't enjoy having it.

Although I don't believe that anyone should have to justify why they're selling a doll, I do get the impression that people who just "get rid of their loved ones" may be looked down on. Not necessarily here on DoA, but on other doll forums too.
      As a seller, I also believe that posting your reasoning can help you get the sale. If you can't bond with it, but you want it to go to a loving home where it will be properly appreciated, that may trigger some people's "maternal instinct" so to speak.

As a buyer, I don't really care one way or the other though. I only ever look for specific dolls, and I don't let a cute set of glass puppy dog eyes draw me in to their trap.

13. To sellers:
      Do you feel the need to justify your sale in your thread? (IE, do you mention "not bonding" or state the reason you are selling the doll?) If so, why?

In a way I feel like I do need to justify why I am selling a doll. In fact, I had this problem recently with my only 2 tinies. I don't have not posted them on a sale thread yet, but I am talking with someone who said they may be interested. But I feel bad because I am just going to turn right around and buy one of the dolls again. One of them I just didn't like the face in person as much as I did online...and the other one is just a bit old...but I love her and I feel like I'm a horrible mommy for giving her up just because she is yellowing a little bit. I would keep her and avoid having to defend myself in selling her...but...:...( I have OCD and a little yellowing, which is hardly noticeable to anyone else...would drive me absolutely bonkers.

Do you feel you have to justify the reason you are parting with a doll so you don't seem like a bad person?

Yeah...right now...I feel like a really bad dolly mommy and I so want to kick myself for putting my little one up for sale...but...I just want a newer version. And as for the one I just received...I just don't like the skin tone nor the face...So I plan to get a different doll from the same company mainly because I have been eyeballing it for a while.

Do you think that adding a personal story will encourage buyers?

I don't know...but it may make them slightly more emotional like, "Awe...the poor dear, I would love to adopt her!" I dunno...it might help? If you say something like you are giving an orphaned tiny away to a new mommy/daddy then it might make someone more inclined to buy them. But that is just my opinion.

But until I can sell the 2 tinies, replace one and buy a different one of the dolls I want...I am going to be feeling really down in the dumps.:...(

14. I think some people started posting the intent because they thought it was necessary and other people just followed along. I do find it a bit more reassuring when there's an explanation behind some sales. But when someone uses a sob story I tend to skip over it because it's slightly annoying and I sort of have it programmed into me that sob stories and scammers go hand in hand.

15. Don't care why anyone is selling their doll. Unless it is the sentimentality of "I am selling this doll for $1 to Girlwholived because she is awesome."

Since that isn't going to happen, all I care about is the details of purchase.

16. I think it's good to know why someone is giving up a doll. If it's bonding then a buyer can make the decision based on the idea that they may not have that issue. If it's over something else like "don't like the legs or can't do my own faceup, or doll is green." The potential buyer can determine if the perhaps they don't mind the green or other damage issue. Also if its emotional and financial, maybe some of use can help the seller brainstorm and they can keep their doll or a buyer may even be willing to sell the doll back to the person at a later date when their situation is more stablized. I love knowing the origin of how my dolls come to be when I buy them second hand. I got my Liebchen because someone was tired of the wait. I understood that going in and so I expect to wait a long a time to get her or even find that I might not. I was lucky and got the doll before production was stopped. But I went into the transaction knowing what to expect.

Christal

17. There are a number of reasons that people sell dolls. Trouble bonding, they need money, or something else just calls to them. I know for me selling my little Cherishdoll Lani boy it was almost a justification to myself, he just didnt fit in and I wanted other dolls to be payed off.

and like christal said. It gives you an idea of where these dolls are comming from and why. that same little lani boy has been in 3 different homes and bonded with none. the owner of my incoming Odelia needed the money. as did the seller of my YoSD Kuuta, my first and most cherished doll. the AOD head i bought for my migidoll miho on the other hand was a fix up job and i knew that, i ended up cleaning the body and it looked almost like new, but in the end i had to sell it because i couldent bond with it for certain reasons.

18. To buyers and sellers: Why do you feel there is a need to explain the reason for selling a doll?

I honestly don't feel it's needed. All I care is that the item is described well. I don't care what the reason is someone is selling the doll or accessories when I am shopping. All I look at is the condition and if it's in my price range. :) I've never felt the need to really give a reason why I was selling something either. I just usually post pictures and descriptions.

19. I think buying and selling is a lot less formal on a community type website. Especially since the owner has probably at one point or another posted pictures, stories, etc about the doll they're selling, so it can make it slightly awkward announcing its exodus. People might feel like they need to justify selling a doll they used to love immensely, since 'conditional love' can be so disheartening.

20. I think the general reason why you're selling the doll, without a details sob story should be fine. "The doll isn't suiting the purpose I bought them for." over a long winded story how sad it is, they're so lovely but oh so and so just doesn't look that sweet and innocent because blah de blah. We just want to feel less worried there's some horrible issue with it or that they're just trying to resell to rip others off and make a nice profit for themselves. Or that's how I feel when Im on the marketplace.