1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling 'unique' dolls?

Nov 11, 2009

1. Would you buy a doll for nearly the same price as buying it new if one of the above mentioned things have been done to it? Even if it was an LE or a doll you've wanted for a long time?
      No, the only reason I would consider buying a modded doll is if I like the mod (but usually its just a slight nose or cheek sanding, or eyewell mod and only if done well, making the look more appealing) extreme mods don't appeal to me (while I do note that a great amount of work goes into them and some are amazing, its just not for me) I'm not big on dyed dolls because its not stable, tends to rub yet if it does rub its hard to repair or remove completely)

Would you sell a doll to which you've done one or more of the above mentioned things? Would you sell it for nearly the same price you bought it for (or more) because you 'individualized' the doll, which took you time and effort?

Never have sold or owned a modded doll. If I sell a doll I would try and get my money back out of it if possible, no one wants to sell at a loss (although it happens with this economy, last doll I sold I took a loss) From watching MP a lot I notice if its modded its a harder sell, extreme mods have a more narrow market. If the mod artist is exeptional the price might be much more than original, but usually it seems average / non pro mods lose value and would be harder to sell for anything close to original cost.

2. If I really like the mod, i will. Actually i bought a modded hybrid doll once, because i wanted the hybrid body for a loose head and did not want to wait for the body to come from the makers. Sold the head easily for the price of the hybrid minus the price of a new body.

Currently i am looking for an Unoa Sist faceplate. We all know what they cost, we all know what most sellers want for them, even with sharpy face-up and uneven mods. I strongly feel that anyone should be allowed to ask for their doll what they want. In return everyone else has the right not to buy it. I regularly scan the marketplace, and severly overprized dolls just wont sell and will pricedrop several times.

I have never sold a doll i modded.

3. There's no harm in putting the doll out there for a specific price and see if anyone takes it. I see dolls on the market all the time that I personally wouldn't pay the asking price for, but a good many of them do get sold at the prices that are asked, or close to them.

Also, sometimes people will start the price a little high so that as time goes by they can lower it and thus attract buyers - the old "marked down! sale!" strategy. Although you might think "why not just set the price low to begin with?" I think the idea of getting a bargain or a markdown does appeal to some people and if you started the doll at the lower price, you'd just end up having to mark down from there.

4. I've seen this exact thing several times and can't do more than shake my head at it.

People do poorly executed "modifications", often give up halfway, and then look to sell their now battle-scarred doll as if nothing ever happened. Some people even charge a higher price as compensation for the "work" they put into it. This too with bad faceups.

I'm just.. appalled by the audacity of it. You know it doesn't look good, you know you tried and failed, what makes you think that someone else is gonna look at it and think it's the best thing since sliced bread?

I'm not bashing on modifications, even strange or extreme ones, for example a girl body that had a watch face embedded in it's chest. I thought it looked incredible and I really wanted it even though in all reality the doll was 'scarred' forever by the big hole needed to hold the watch face. I'm talking about the ones where it was clear that many mistakes were made or a project was taken on that the person couldn't possibly handle or execute well.

To each their own can only be stretched so far, beauty in the eye of the beholder can only be stretched so far. There should come a point where someone looks at the doll in their hands and goes "..Mm.. no, this just doesn't look right". It seems that's point where they give up and opt to sell, and y'know what? Those dolls will sit unsold for a long, long time, if they ever sell at all.

Would I buy a doll that was "modified"? Sure, like the watchface girl I mentioned above, I would have snatched her up in a heartbeat if I'd had the means, at the same price as new or even more because the quality of the work was worth it. Some of the other travesties I've seen? Not in a million years. Not even for super cheap, I'm no dolly doctor.

Would I sell a failed doll? No, and better yet, I wouldn't buy a doll to modify intensely to begin with. If I did, and truely failed, I'd either remove it all to the best of my ability and try again until I was satisfied with it or sell it at a fixer-upper price. If I was in financial trouble and had to sell the doll.. well, I'd be kind of screwed, wouldn't I? Clearly I invested money I didn't have the ability to build on and lost my investment entirely. That's life.

If I had a well modded doll, like again the watchface girl, and I wasn't in desperate need of money, I'd set my price and wait. Someone in the community would see the beauty in her and want to take her home for what she's really worth.

5. What I mainly think is a bit cheeky is when someone is selling an unlimited doll with a poor modification that is the same price (if not more) than the price it would cost to actually buy it from the company.-

You have a really excellent point about the severely limited dolls.

6. I have seen some "OOAK, Custom!" dolls that were "OMG Fugly, Ruined!" in my book.

One memorable piece of incredible fugliness was on eBay. I mean, it was enough to make you cry, that someone would do that to a doll. It was impossible to tell what it had been originally, and I couldn't believe it when someone bought it, although that one did go for a very low price. I found out later that it was bought by someone here who actually rescued it, so there was a happy ending!

I have seen some badly modded dolls with asking prices that indicated that the seller was deluded enough to think that their "enhancements" actually added value to the doll, and I'd think, "Good luck with that!" but I don't know if they actually sold or the seller just gave up and deleted the sales thread. I do wonder about the outcome of some of these offerings, though.

There's one sculpt that I would give my back teeth for if it were unmodded, and I can't believe the owner actually had the brass to "improve" it. If I remember correctly, that one started at full price, though, not inflated, and was later reduced.

So, I think the bottom line is that the market will determine the price. A seller can ask any price they like; that doesn't mean they're going to get it.

7. I applaud those who take risks and will mod their dolls - even when they make mistakes. But, if they give up and feel that their experiment is over, well, I think they need to be realistic about the "improvements".

There are several reasons I won't pay more for modded dolls done badly and for some done well, too.

1) I didn't create that doll. It wasn't my vision. So, unless that doll is dazzling beyond words I don't feel it is worth more money. Modders need to be realistic about the size of their target market. Not everyone else wants the same kind of doll or possesses a similar vision. If I wanted a mod done on my dolls I would pay for an experienced modder to do it.

2) With modding comes education and experience. Any mod, especially when done badly, helps an individual shape him/herself as an artist. I don't get that experience as a buyer. Why should I pay for someone's learning curve? For me, it doesn't compute. Again, though, if I were to request a particular mod I would expect to pay for it, but I would have certain expectations regarding the quality of the work.

3) Modding a doll is a risk even for experienced modders. Piercing ears, shaping eyes, etc. can be risky and mistakes happen. Not every mod will be a success and one needs to be realistic about the final result. Sometimes, modders get lucky. Sometimes, people are simply talented beyond belief. But, sometimes, people need to realize that their risk-taking failed to get the results they wanted. And, if they don't want it then it's likely no one else wants it either.

I sympathize with those who don't want to lose money. But, in this economy as someone else pointed out, there are un-modded dolls going for less than their purchase price. And as others have pointed out, the market demand will ultimately set the price no matter what the asking price is.

8. I've bought a modded doll - scar added, but paid below market price. I would never modify a doll personally, I don't think I have the talent to do it. I've seen people sand breasts off dolls to make them androgynous then try to sell them. Sure, if you're after that style of doll, having someone who's done half the work may be ideal and worth paying extra for.

I know some people mod sculpts to have Elf ears and charge extra for them. Personally, I feel you've got to be extremely talented to pull that one off otherwise the colours don't blend and the mods look awful. I'd never buy one because photos can be deceptive so that blending that looks perfect in photos is not terribly good in real life and I'd always be irritated by the doll if I thought it was obvious. Other people may have longed for that sculpt with elf ears and be willing to pay extra. Realistically, you only need one buyer who's willing to pay your price.

9. If I modify a doll (or part of a doll) and later decide to sell it, I will set a fair price based on what I think the modified doll/part is worth. I will be completely up-front about any and all mods done, the materials used, and will provide pictures. If someone chooses not to buy it because of the mods, it's no skin off my nose - eventually someone will come along who does like the mods, and who will want to purchase the doll. I will not shy away from doing modifications just because the doll or part in question might be limited. For me, this hobby is ultimately about customization, not collecting, so "NRFB" or "full set" dolls hold no more appeal to me than any others.

Like others have said - whether or not I purchase a modified doll, and the price at which I am willing to do so, depends entirely upon whether or not the mods appeal to me.

10. Would I buy a 'modded' dollie?

Of course. However, the amount I'm willing to pay is up to the 'work' as well as the doll's original sculpt. For instance, there's a head in the MP that has severe burns and the seller turned it into a type of golum complete with a rock eye. It made me die of adorableness not fear. Unfortunately I didn't have any money at the time and missed the opportunity to snag him up. ^^ Would I pay the same price as that original head new? Yes, very much so. For me, the more 'unique' a doll is the more it feels like it would fit in my family and heart. Right now, I don't even have a complete BJD, but I've been gathering pieces to make dollies that are 'uniquely mine.' In a bit I plan to put up a WTB thread for damaged pieces. Would I pay same as new? As I said it really depends. But it is very possible. Am I stupid for this? I don't really think so but hey, what do I know XD If said doll causes inspiration and even a spark of 'wow/love' I think that in itself is worth expressing interest. After all, many sellers are open to offers.

Would I sell a doll that was 'modded'?

Sure. However, I would have to have beaten you all dead in the Critique thread with questions, comments, and such before I even consider listing him/her at any price. As much as the dollie is new? Most likely not however if I would 'theoretically' get feedback from other members that selling at the 'listing' price was possible, I certainly would.

11. Yes, most certainly. If I had a character that fit with the mod, or just really liked it, then of course I'd leap at the chance to get the doll I want with the mods I want. Saves me getting it from the company at full-whack then paying a modder to add the stuff I'm basically getting for free from the MP ;)

It would be the same for me as with any doll - start with my dream price then gradually lower it until someone thinks it's low enough to buy =3

I'm not going to bother repeating the whole thread's worth of 'beauty in the eye of the beholder' etc etc etc, but I agree ^^

12. I guess I would only buy a modded doll if 1) mods are of high quality, so to say, and done by a well-known artist and 2) they appeal to me - in that case the high price IS appropriate,
      or 3) the doll is sold cheap and I would like to have fun repairing and working on this particular mold - which is not the subject here :)

I don't think I would sell a doll I modded at all )) I haven't yet and I hope I won't have to, because I mod them for myself, to please my tastes and they usually do that perfectly ))
      But if I did, the price would certainly depend on whether I think my mods improved the sculpt (funny but it happens sometimes) Think of minimee)) or not. In any case, I would not ask MORE than what I originally paid. Because I don't think it's fair. I prefer to find good homes for the dolls I sell, not to make money on them.

13. When it comes to buying modded dolls, it all comes down to whether or not the mods appeal to me and how well done they are. A really well done mod job *should* go for more, because not only are you paying for the doll, but the time, effort, and supplies that the artist put in as well. Not everyone has the desire or ability to do certain mods, so finding an already finished doll can be a huge plus. I've paid extra for nice faceups before, and I'd be willing to do the same for mods providing that they were done well and fit what I was looking for.

I would, however, expect poorly done mods to drop the price, as the new owner is going to have to put in work to fix or finish the work.

14. Would you buy a doll for nearly the same price as buying it new if one of the above mentioned things have been done to it? Even if it was an LE or a doll you've wanted for a long time?
      Surely not. If it's a doll I really want, I want it without mods. And I like to draw and paint tatoos on my dolls and the dye really complicate those things.

Would you sell a doll to which you've done one or more of the above mentioned things? Would you sell it for nearly the same price you bought it for (or more) because you 'individualized' the doll, which took you time and effort?
      Huhu... I wouldn't try to sell at any price a doll which I've moded. I already try to mold a doll and it was a complete failure. I wouldn't even show it!
      But I already sold two dolls for more than what I pay for them. Both were LE, both were painted by me. Painted, not dyed ^^ And yes, I afford me to do it because I think my work was worth it.

15. Simply put, no I wouldn't buy a heavily modded doll even if it was a limited edition for anywhere near the original price of the doll. While some mods by very well known artists could actually increase the price of a doll, they would have to suit a smaller market consisting of people with the same vision of that doll. But if you're interested in the original doll then extensive mods would generally decrease the value as it simply isn't the same doll anymore.

And I wouldn't expect to sell such a doll for a higher price. But I have a bit of a predjudice against most mods anyway. Other than an excellent job of eye opening, I really haven't seen any modified dolls that captivate me.

16. Also agreeing with this 100%. Some "extreme mods" are very appealing to me and would actually make the doll worth more. Paulkaiju's girl Yooskie immediately comes to mind. She's a beautifully custom-painted bright red Lishe/DD2 mod, and I would pay much more for a doll like her than the average market value for a Lishe/DD2.

If the mod was something I didn't want, was removable or fixable, and the doll was rare or hard to come by... then yes I would still pay market value. For example, there's a certain older Hypermaniac girl I'm head over heels for, but she only comes up for sale once in a blue moon. If someone put a dyed version of her in the marketplace at the same price as an unmodded version, I would still consider buying her since dye can be removed and there is little chance I would get the doll any other way. I'm not averse to a lot of sanding or other work on a doll if it's one I want.

As for selling a modded doll... I'd list it for what I thought it was worth, whether that was more or less than the price of a new one. If it's a very successful mod, then I might list it for the same value, or even more. There are modders on this forum whose work sells for quite a bit more than the price of the same doll new, because those mods are generally considered an enhancement. Likewise, if I did a mod that I felt was unsuccessful or needed repair, I would list the doll for a lower amount.

Overall, it's the seller's prerogative to set their prices. As has been mentioned in several threads on scalping/resale value... No one has to pay what is asked. If the seller is asking more than anyone is willing to pay ,the doll either won't sell or they will have to lower their prices.

17. I would never buy a second hand doll for anything near the price I could buy it new unless there was some sort of extra or something that justifies the price, like a nice custom face-up or clothes for it, something like that.

Just like anyone else, I likely wouldn't by a modded doll unless the mods made the doll more appealing to me. Especially attractive mods can justfy a slightly higher price than a new or used doll would be. If it's damaged, modded badly, super yellow, whatever, then obviously, you can't expect to sell it for what it originally cost.

LEs are a bit different though. Even a damaged LE can be sold for near it's original cost due to the limited number of them avalable and simply demand for that particular doll. Even a stained Beryl could be sold for a pretty penny simply becuase it's a Beryl.

18. If the modder is talented the price goes up, if the modder is amateur the price goes down. Generally it never deviates from that rule.

19. NO and NO for both questions unless the doll is really extremely rare. That's because I (or smb. who buys from me) would have to pay to restore the doll and wash off old face-up.

20. Pricing is TOTALLY up to the seller. Bitch about it all you wish, but the seller is allowed to sell at whatever price they want to set. Buyers may not buy, of course! That's how it works--in the US, anyway! What, you want someone to determine the prices you can sell your property for??? That's insane. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

Would you buy a doll for nearly the same price as buying it new if one of the above mentioned things have been done to it? Even if it was an LE or a doll you've wanted for a long time?
      As a buyer, it's all up to me, as I said. If I really wanted a modded doll, then I'd buy it. If I didn't want it modded, then of course, I would not. If I'd have to pay to un-mod the doll (assuming it's possible) then I'd have to figure out if it was worth the time and effort and money, right? If not, then no sale on my part.

If I wanted to sell something, a doll or anything at all, that's my choice. Price is up to me, too. No one else's business what I want to sell and at what price. No one is FORCED to buy it, after all. So, hell yes, I'd sell a doll if I wanted to sell it, however it was modded!

I just would tell what the mods were and the rest is up to the buyer--whether they wish to pay the price or not.