1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling 'unique' dolls?

Nov 11, 2009

1. I've purchased 2 mods here in the marketplace, and it's a very simple issue for me. One was a sculpt I really wanted that had elf ears added. The ears were well done and cute, so I purchased her (but at a much lower price than the sculpt originally cost.) This was a case where yeah, I can live with that for the savings and instant availability offered. The second one was just this past week...a modded head in the marketplace that made my jaw drop in awe.:o This was a company sculpt that had never even caught my eye before (and in fact, I was already quite happy with my little collection and not planning to add anymore dolls at all.) But this one had been expertly modded into a gorgeous work of art. It was love at first sight and smoke was rising from the keyboard, I typed that PM with a firm offer to buy so fast!!! My quick action paid off and I snagged her less than 12 hours after she'd been put up for sale. She is a steampunk clockwork mod by an obviously talented artisan, and I was more than happy to pay a premium price for her.:)

So my opinion is that if it is a fabulously artistic and unique mod that enhances the head dramatically, it's certainly worth more. If it's an okay mod you can live with at a bargain price, go for it. But if it's a poorly executed mod, then why on earth would you want to pay for their failure...no matter how much personal effort and how many hours it took them to fail?

2. I couldn't agree with you more.

3. I also agree we are all good at different things I don't think i would be good at anything other but basic mods cause i can woodwork and paint but thats it. I wouldn't like to ruin a doll I spent hundreds of dollars on

4. There was a Soom Saiph for sale here in the marketplace recently. She had been modded and was up for sale for $900. Now the mods were awful, she looks as if she's had a really bad mastectomy at best. To my viewpoint, she didn't have any semblance of breast left. I winced every time I saw her. She had a lovely face-up by Ravendolls, but after buying her from Soom and paying for a face-up from Ravendolls, you probably would have broken even and not have had a mutilated doll. Yet, I know the person who bought her and she was delighted. She knew the doll had been poorly modded but fell in love with her and wanted her. She had a whole group of people trying to persuade her to give the doll a miss. Dolls are an emotional purchase however and as she is absolutely happy with her - obviously the price she paid was worth it. One person's trash is another person's treasure as the saying goes. A doll one person wouldn't go near, calls to another person. Personally I wouldn't have dared sell that doll for anywhere near the money she went for, yet the buyer is 100% happy. Just goes to show even bad mods can appeal to people.

5. If its really a good mod/dye, that really makes the doll unique and still something you know a lot of people would like or want to do, then I would sell it the same price or try a little more as you may have made the person who buys it save some money because they would have sent it to be modded/dyed anyway.

But if its horribly done or just horrible, then I would lower the price if I know not a lot of people would like it as I would have. I would even consider not selling it... Its just not right to sell something you completely modified to your liking (Knowing or not that no one other then you likes) at the same price as when you bought it, or more.

If you do that to your doll, you should know that you may have to almost "give it away" to be able to sell it.

As I see in the comments a lot about Limiteds.... A doll you can buy from the company for less or the same from the company, I would go for the company.
      But limiteds, it may be the only chance you have to get that doll. if you really like it and dont mind the mods (You can always find a way to take care of those) then you should go for it =3

6. Would you buy a doll for nearly the same price as buying it new if one of the above mentioned things have been done to it? Even if it was an LE or a doll you've wanted for a long time?

-- If it was horribly or heavily modded, no. I wouldn't look at it at all. If it was modded beautifully, in my opinion, I might consider paying about the same as the doll would sell from the company brand-new, if I considered the doll at all. I'm of the type who has to go through a lot of thought before even considering modding something. If I would have known one of my recent dolls had a bit shaved off the inside of his headcap, I would never have bought him, no matter the fact that I've wanted his sculpt for five years now and he's discontinued.

Would you sell a doll to which you've done one or more of the above mentioned things?

-- If I absolutely had to. Like if I had money issues and no other doll or collectible to sell, then it would go up on the chopping block.

Would you sell it for nearly the same price you bought it for (or more) because you 'individualized' the doll, which took you time and effort?

-- I would put up a price close to what I thought the doll is worth, and then take offers. Whether the doll would go for as much as it did brand new? That's up to whoever falls in love with it over the marketplace ^^

7. I think this is the best thing said yet opn this topic- Mods can be beautiful, but it should always be a case of paying for what you get- shoddy mod should allways equal a cheap price. I think some people commenting in this topic can clearly not tell the difference between modding to create a new peice of art, and failed mods which are usually the result of very naive' people trying to improve apon sculpt. Real artists have a proper respect for their medium- its just too bad they are not necessarily the majority.

8. This is funny that this popped up today as I just finished the body on a 'unique' doll. You can see it here http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347772 Everyone does have to start somewhere, this was my first mod project, so please be nice if you decide to comment. Being rude gets people nowhere.

I think in most cases when people make 'unique' dolls they're doing it because they have a vision and it's something close to their heart. I had this Cherry Elf lying around, and I had no idea what to do with it. I was chatting with my significant other about a month ago while we were editing scripts in Linux working on her server. She suggested using the doll to make Lithian (a bot on the server) immedietly an idea flew into my head and I went to work. Once I move the doll will be seated between our two PCs.

There are of course other reasons 'unique' dolls come around, but I think the majority is the reason above. I also think they come available for sale as a last resort. Be it bills, grocery money, and things like that. Of course there is always the mod job gone wrong. I think in that case as said above that the price should reflect that and hopefully an experienced mod can turn it into something beautiful.

Would I buy one? I might if it ment something to me, but I'd rather make my own.

9. On a personal level no. I would never buy a modded/tan/dyed doll unless I could see it for myself in person and even then I would be skeptic. Idk, to part of me it will always be a reminder that this was someone else's doll first and foremost. Of course I appreciate some of the mods done, I've seen an exceptionally diy well taned goldie and she was lovely. Not to mention eye openings, elf ears etc. But it's just not for me.

I think I would never sell a dyed doll. I don't think they sell well and I most certainly would never sell it full price. If a mod I did was very professional looking I would sell depending on demand. i.e A doll with well modded elf ears would sell much quicker than say, a doll modded to host a third eye. This same checklist would also count on if i buy a modded doll. How well done is the mod, does it fit a character etc.

10. I would buy a doll even if it was changed. Because i buy them not just because of their name but based on how they looked. So if i thought it looked cool dyed or something i would get it because i liked it that way. And i would sell it even if it was changed beacues someone might want a doll that looks like that( waht you did to the doll)

11. Would you buy a doll for nearly the same price as buying it new if one of the above mentioned things have been done to it? Even if it was an LE or a doll you've wanted for a long time?

It depends what the mods were and if I found said mods aesthetically pleasing. That being said, I haven't seen any dyed dolls in person so I don't know how well it turns out. I was going to buy a doll that had modded eyebrow ridges and I didn't mind this because I'm in the process of learning how to mod myself.

Would you sell a doll to which you've done one or more of the above mentioned things? Would you sell it for nearly the same price you bought it for (or more) because you 'individualized' the doll, which took you time and effort?

Hmmm. Probably not because it's a personal thing for me. For example, I'm currently working on my first big mod project. I've taken an oldskin SD10 body (from my very first doll) and carved away at her waist and ribcage to give her an older looking body. I am replacing her child-like hands and feet with more adult ones (these are in white resin, so I have to blush them to match). Then I am putting an artist head sculpted by a small studio on the body, but I will have to "peachify" the whole body to make it all match. All in all, this has been a really labour-intensive project. Would I sell her when I'm done? No, because she's my pet project--my reboot of my very first doll. ^^

However, I think that with the amount of work that a lot of modifiers and artists put into dolls...there is a market out there for that. There are buyers that want these specially modified dolls. So, I think it's fair for them to charge whatever they deem reasonable.

12. I think this is a really case-by-case thing for me. If a doll had been modded into something really awesome looking by a talented artist, I might be willing to pay more than I would for the basic doll, and if a mod was minor but well-done I think I'd be willing to pay the normal price. If I was looking for a specific sculpt I would be less likely to buy a modded doll, but on its own I would definitely consider it, if it was well-done or if I had planned on modding the doll anyways and could adapt/reverse the changes done to it.

As far as selling, I would probably lower the price unless it was a really intensive mod that I considered to be very well-done on my part. Some people mod dolls for the purpose of selling, and same as anything their time and skill, and the money put into supplies and materials, should mean something.

13. For me it all depends on how I feel when i see said doll. I tend to buy secondhand so when i see a modded head that looks nice and professional, almost like it was made to be apart of the sculpt the maybe. I never buy dye jobs though because they never look like it's part of the resin and often times the dye job is patchy and not well done at all. When I buy a doll I expect it to not be as good as when you get it right from the company but i do expect to see the doll look decent and i look for a doll which I would save money on, not one that i'm paying same price on.

14. I'm all for people modding their dolls, but I know I've seen some horrible mods. One comes to mind, it was the Volks msd girl whit the huge eyes, and the owner had made the eye holes bigger, sanded off her nose, and most of her lips. (I don't think the person who bought and fixed her paid a huge amount.) But who would like to pay for a doll at a mark up price like that? Or one whit sharpie marks that will never come off? Now, there are great mods out there, and they deserve money for their time and effort. However, the odder the mod, the longer you might have to wait for the person who wants a doll like that. If it's a good job and people admire it, they may not want to own it.

Would you buy a doll for nearly the same price as buying it new if one of the above mentioned things have been done to it? Even if it was an LE or a doll you've wanted for a long time?
      Nope, I don't even pay markups for dolls I really want with no mods. Mostly cause I don't just have an extra $1,000 sitting around.

Would you sell a doll to which you've done one or more of the above mentioned things? Would you sell it for nearly the same price you bought it for (or more) because you 'individualized' the doll, which took you time and effort?

I have bought 1 modded doll, that was for a lower price and I finished the mod. It was on a dreaming doll, and they eye's had been partly opened, but they looked like they were always falling back. Now, my mod is not perfect, but the doll is also my favorite, so it's okay. I would never sell her. And maybe, someday I will send her off for the finishing touches by someone who dose good work. Maybe...

15. Would you buy a doll for nearly the same price as buying it new if one of the above mentioned things have been done to it? Even if it was an LE or a doll you've wanted for a long time?

No. Especially if it was a doll I wanted for a long time. I would want the doll as it was, not somebody's ruined version of it.

Would you sell a doll to which you've done one or more of the above mentioned things?

I would only make changes to a doll I really liked, so for me to sell it, I'd have to be in a pretty bad situation and practically desperate for money.

Would you sell it for nearly the same price you bought it for (or more) because you 'individualized' the doll, which took you time and effort?

No. Because I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

16. Would you buy a doll for nearly the same price as buying it new if one of the above mentioned things have been done to it? Even if it was an LE or a doll you've wanted for a long time?
      Definitely not! If I could buy a new one, in perfect condition, for even $100 more... I would go with that instead of something I didn't feel was... up to my standards? But if the mods were well done and something I liked, I'd consider it. With LEs... same case. Only if the mods were well done, and suited my taste. But I'd still prefer to have the original unmodded version, so I would probably hold off. xD

I have sold dolls that were modded (they were done well, not by me. xD So I sold them for what I paid for them!) but I have also sold dolls that were in need of some TLC, and so I sold them for less than what I bought them for, because some work would need to be put into them. ^^

17. If you modify a doll, and someone out there likes your modification, I'm sure you can sell it for what you paid for it (or more). If the doll is too strange for people, then it won't sell at any price.

If the doll has been modified, I don't think a person would buy it just because it had been a LE doll. It's no longer that same doll.

18. I've seen some amazing mods and some mediocre mods. And I don't have the skills or materials to mod myself. Hell yes I'd pay for good mods, and I'd pay more. I know how hard artists work. I respect and pay for it. Mods I didn't like, I just wouldn't bother.

And I wouldn't care if it were a LE doll or not. I just don't really get why people get so precious about modding LEs, as if they were sacred! One of the best and most simple mods I have seen was to a LE doll, and it came together beautifully.

19. I would pay the same as the doll was worth new if I liked the mods, I would not pay more. I prefer unusual dolls and one of a kinds someone has spent time on appeal to me. I don't have the talent if someone else has I will pay for it. If I thought it was awful then clearly it is not something that appeals to me so I would'nt. There are however a lot of different tastes out there so someone may love it.

20. I personally won't shell out money for any doll with mods. If it's a doll that I've been looking for a long time, I still wouldn't. I personally don't like buying a doll with mods because I feel unsafe and unsure about the level of quality. The seller may overlook things because he/she once liked the doll but I'm very meticulous and picky. Thus being said, I wouldn't like to have a doll modded or sell a doll modded.