1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sense of duty towards your doll(s)?

Jul 29, 2010

1. I looked though the discussion forum, and saw no thread with a similar topic, though if this is a duplicate mods please delete/move.

Okay, I noticed these tendencies in some doll buyers....

For example, owners that have many dolls or who buy new dolls as soon as they save up the needed money, BUT keep their already-owned dolls either bald, or poorly dressed, etc.
      Or owners who had 10+ dolls, which mostly sat on a desk/bookshelf/etc. gathering dust?
      Or people who hyped over a newly-bought doll to the detriment of the dolls they already owned for a while.
      By the way, this is not meant to accuse anyone, I confess myself to being bad at choosing who to take on a holiday, for example... :sweat

Now to the question part:
      Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?

Do you believe you "must" buy your doll multiple clothes/wigs/eyes/accessories?

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?

Thank you very much for your time and thoughts <3

2. i'm one of those who buy dolls whenever i have money instead of buying clothes for the ones i already have :sweat
      they all at leat have eyes, a wig & one outfit.
      xD i'm a bad owner.
      but i'm trying to change that! i (almost) have 3 dolls, so i'm gonna slow it a bit and buy them clothes and accessories before buying any other dolls.

to answer your last question, yes i do. thats why every morning and night, i bring the whole familly up and downstairs ^^; when i visit my familly, i never know WHO to bring. so far i only had 2 dolls at the same time, but it will get more complicated eventually :sweat

3. Interesting c:

I kindof do. I mean, I did pay alot of money for them and I was always tought to make expensive things worth their money and enjoy them. But it also just happens by itself. They justr andomly wiggle into my thoughts every now and then.

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?
      I'm too much of a nitpick to not give dolls even amounts of attention. One gets a shoot and then another one has to get the next shoot. I do notice I have this more when there's more dolls. I'd like to evenly enjoy all my dolls as much, even though there may be favourites.
      It's not because I feel they will be upset tho, not at all. It's more of my perfectionism playing up.

Hah, absolutely not. All my dolls have one outfit and one wig (except one doll that somehow ended up with two outfits and 4 wigs now). I don't really think they need more.

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?
      Lawl, I suppose I do. When I go to meetings and such I feel bad when I have to leave one at home. Also because there always seem to be people that are excited to see my dolls (yay) and I don't want to dissapoint xD
      There's also some dolls I'd rather not take tho, because of floppyness, loose accesoires, wigs flying off and all that. Don't want to have to pay too much attention to them so I can enjoy my con/meet/whatever.

4. No. My dolls are inanimate objects. They are not owed anything. It is reasonable to protect them from damage, but that's basic care for anything.

At the moment, no. Dividing by zero has the same result regardless, and my dolly time is currently at zero. Otherwise, obviously this is a factor. That is basic logic. Time is finite. If you have ten minutes to spend, and insist on dividing it equally, spending it with one is going to give you ten minutes with one. Spending it with ten gives you a minute each.

Love is not something I am comfortable quantifying in any fashion.

No.

Not at all.

5. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No. One of my favorite things about my dolls is that I owe them NOTHING. They involve no responsibility. If I'm busy I can ignore them for months at a time without repercussion, unlike... most everything else in my life. I can't just blow off my goldfish for a month because I'm overwhelmed with other obligations, but the dolls will be there when they get back.

Interaction time? Sure. I have six dolls, so when I feel like doing something with a doll I have six options. But I don't "love" my dolls. They're treasured possessions, but they don't have feelings, and I don't feel any need to treat them equally. My interest in each one varies -- right now I have two fairly new dolls so I mostly am focusing on them, but the other four will be there when I get bored.

No. I usually WANT to, but that's because I enjoy all the pretty things, not because I'm obligated.

No. They're dolls. They don't care. I usually don't take them anywhere, but when I go to doll meets I only take two or three. I try to cycle through which ones I take so I can show off different dolls, but I don't feel bad about the ones I leave behind, even if I have been known to say I was ignoring one or the other. Again, dolls, no feelings. That's a big plus for me. If they were, say, dogs, I'd feel super guilty about taking one out and leaving the other behind.

6. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I feel that I more owe it to myself. I wouldn't have bought them if I didn't have the intention to actually do something with them as often as I could. ('Doing something with them' is often also just looking at them and enjoying their looks. From time to time that makes me even happier than doing photoshoots with them. It really depends.)
      However, there are far more important things sometimes and I don't feel all horrible when I keep the boys locked away for a few days/weeks and so on because I have other problems to take care of.

I suppose so, yes. I find myself being all over my newest doll (shiny new toy - syndrome) while I semi-neglect my two other boys at the moment. But I believe this to be pretty normal for me. Once I can start seeing them as the crew as a whole again, without one being the new kid on the block, it's gonna go back to 'normal' and the same amount of time for all of them.

No, but that's the fun part for me in the hobby. I love to dress them up and see what they look like in different wigs and with different eyes in. They all do have their default looks since they're styled after my OCs, but it's still fun to play around with this. Especially if it's totally out of character.

No, not really. Especially if we're talking about taking them to cons etc., I feel a lot better taking just one with me instead of dragging all of them along, just so I'd spend an equal amount of time with them. I'm a little over-protective and I don't feel comfortable when I gotta watch over more than one in a crowded place.
      They all get their 'alone time' at home eventually ;)

7. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No. And I like that fact a lot.

Sometimes. Say, the doll that is easiest to dress would get more time and clothes than the ones that are harder to find things for.
      It happens. I like them all otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money on them.

No. I only buy them because things are pretty, and it is just like shopping in general. I don't have to have things but it looks nice so I want it.

No.
      Sometimes it just makes no sense to take certain dolls sometime. If it is a million degrees outside I'd much rather leave the dolls at home rather than having to worry about damage.

8. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I don't feel they DESERVE attention, but I certainly give them a lot. I wouldn't feel bad if one doll didn't get played with or taken pictures of, but I try to do stuff with them at least a little bit every day. Then again, I don't have many dolls.
      Certainly not. I only have two, but I hope to have many in the future and I love them all equally... I may not have time to interact with them all equally, but I wouldn't prioritize so much that the other dolls are completely ignored.
      Yes and no... Personally, I like having several outfits and accessories, even multiple wigs, for each doll, and I do it on my own will... But I could see for instance, if I was saving up for a new doll after just getting one, I'd try to keep its items to a minimum. However, I make my own clothes so I don't have to worry too much about clothing expenses, maybe an outfit here or there on occaision, and I also try to put spaces between doll purchases, so that I have time to accumulate items for the latest one before going off and buying ANOTHER one.
      No. I'd be careful in choosing which one to take, but I wouldn't feer sincerely sorry for the others... As much personality and life as they hold, they are just dolls, and won't ACTUALLY get their feelings hurt if they aren't interacted with for a bit. I can totally see jokingly, though... Like, "Aww, poor So-and-So had to stay at home" or "Yeah So-and-So is angry because I payed more attention to What's-er-Name today."

9. Hmm... interesting. I'm not sure how much I can add since I only have two dolls right now, but I'll try.
      No, but I end up giving it willing especially to my msd size girl. She sits on the table next to my bed, so even if I don't have time to play with her I always give her a quick look before I go out. I do occasionally feel guilty that I don't look or play with my tiny girl as much, but she doesn't have a defined character like my msd girl does. So I suppose it depends on how I view the doll.
      I only have the two dolls right now, and as I tried to explain above I veiw them very diferently, so it's not really an issue, I'm curious to see how this changes when my third one arrives.
      For my tiny girl not at all, she has two outfits and that's all she needs. My boy will only have one outfit/wig and for his character that's all he needs. My msd girl on the other hand... she has already had 3 dollmore orders of clothes, 2 of which arrived before she did, she already has a wig, but has 3 more on the way, and is already on her second pair of eyes, she is going to be the death of me :doh
      Again, at this time, not at all. But it's because my msd girl has a character and a very defined personality, vs. my tiny girl who only has a very loose personality and no set story. I'm wondering if all of this will change when my boy arrives, because he like my msd girl has a set character and personality, so maybe I'll find myself divided...

10. I don't feel guilt towards dolls, but I do feel bad if I have an unfinished project hanging over my head, like a costume design or a faceup.

11. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Hahahaha, no. My dolls aren't people 8D; I wouldn't even feel that I owe REAL living breathing humans my time. My time is my time. I'd see a psychiatrist if I felt that way. However, I do believe that I should spend some time with my dolls. Not daily... But because I've invested so much time and money into actually acquiring my doll, I should do myself the justice of desiring it enough to play with it when time permits. In a sense, if I didn't have any urge to think of my dolls at all, why the hell would I have spent a boatload of money on them in the first place????

I only have one doll atm. 8/ This concept is a little ridiculous to me. I wouldn't have bought more than one doll in theory, if i had no intention of giving attention to the other ones. I'm pretty scrupulous that way.

8U Same feeling as my first answer. It is certainly NOT a must. However, why the hell would I be in the hobby if I had no interest in these things?? Once a character is set for me and a doll is 'complete', then I have no reason to further spend money buying items etc... But then, I'd make things for them myself. Not buy.

:/ No. I'm the human who suffers through heat and carrying too much stuff etc. Those limits are imposed for reasons [whether by self or another]. Because it's common sense, really.

12. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

No. The dolls are my hobby item; they're not sentient beings; they can sit there unattended & wait until I have free hobby-time for them.

I don't know how people who DON'T have day-jobs operate, but quite frankly I don't have playtime every single day, because I work a lot.

And I certainly don't have playtime for 30 dolls at once! But-- neither do I have the desire to play with all 30 at once. It's a collection. I play with whomever I am drawn to at any given moment.

These are the same question, and they both get the same answer of No. Not at all.
      I love the whole collection, one doll at a time.
      Sometimes two or three at a time, but mostly one. Whoever I'm really into that day.
      Everybody gets attention in turn sooner or later.

This is sort of a moot point, because they've all already got these things-- I've been collecting for some years now, so I've already got a lot of stuff for everybody, binsful of stuff to work with. And I don't feel any compulsion to be constantly shopping for new stuff. But I do love to shop for peripherals - half the reason I collect dolls is to collect fabulous things for them, so the shopping & accessorizing is like a sub-hobby for me. <3

On weekends (or on 1 precious free day out of a weekend), I can relax, pull out the Bins Of Stuff, and mess around with different new looks on one doll or the other, if I want.
      Or, I might spend that day taking pictures of a doll who's still wearing the same hair, eyes & clothes that he's been wearing for 6 months.
      Or, I might be off doing something else completely, while the dolls continue to sit at home as-is, looking gorgeous (which IS their job).

Basically I do what I want, with the doll I want, when I want to do it, and don't feel any pressure to operate in a different way. If I wanted guilt, I'd convert to Catholicism; if I wanted more obligations, I'd get a second job.

13. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Hmmm... I have mine sitting in my living room so I can enjoy them even if I'm not doing anything hands on with them. I don't know that it's actually a matter of 'owing' so much, but I enjoy spending at least some time with them. How much I do with them on a daily basis depends on what else is going on in my life -- I do have other interests too, and sometimes real life responsibilities come up that have to be taken care of first. If I go through a spell where I don't/can't do as much with them, they'll be ok hanging out with all their resin family and friends.

No, though I may do different things with different dolls. For instance I like to sit and hold Lorry, photograph Cait etc. I do have some that I gravitate to more than others, though it doesn't mean that I'm not attached to other ones. Often I'll shift through the group depending on my mood or if I'm writing about a particular character.

It depends on their character. Once I find the right wig and eyes, they keep them and don't swap around (except for Cait who does dye her hair on occasion). Some of my guys don't care much about clothes, so they have less. My girls tend to end up with more stuff. However, there's a lot of sharing that goes on too, and that allows me to get the most use out of fewer outfits. I would happily buy more clothes, but I don't always have the cash to get them what I would like.

Having more clothes and props does give me more that I can do with my guys and girls, so that does have it's benefits.

No, but sometimes I have trouble deciding who I want to take. I get to enough doll meetups that they get their chances to get out and about. I outgrew the ability to take all my dolls with me along time ago, and I can't help that so there's no point in feeling bad about it.

14. I adore my dolls, but I do not "owe" them anything; however cute they are, they are made of plastic. I would be concerned for my mental health if I thought I owed a piece of plastic anything, or that by not buying expensive presents for my piece of plastic I was somehow neglecting it.

;)

I think there is a big difference between saying "aw, I haven't played with X for a while, he must be lonely"... and actually meaning it, lol.

15. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Nope! They can sit on their shelves for ages and I won't feel a single drop of guilt. Heck, one of my boys is currently sitting in pieces. Can't say the same for my husband or cats. ;)

Nope! I mess with who I want, when I want. Again, they don't feel love or neglect. So why should I feel bounded to treat them all equally?

I like buying some spare shirts or pants. But I don't feel like I "must" buy them. Some of my dolls have default outfits. That's what they wear. Period. In that case they won't be getting extras.

The only doll I own like that is Tesni. And that's because she's so awkward to handle. But I don't feel guilty about it. It's frustrating more than anything..."I want to take her and another doll, but the bag's only big enough for one."

16. Hmm. It's very interesting that most of the replies to whether you feel you owe your doll anything is a 'no'.
      That's not a bad thing after all, they really aren't living things. Which I think is something a lot of people outside of the hobby should notice. Because alot of people I know think it is some sort of manifestation of some sort of personal problem or something. I can't explain xD. They think it is unhealthy. But i'm glad to see that we know that they are just Doll's. If not a little bit special ^_^

17. Hrmm...
      I feel like I need to take good care of them but that's because they were very expensive and are too pretty to leave lying about like some cheap plastic toy.
      Sometimes I imagine up a little guilt for not giving my favorites the attention I wish I could give them, but that's all in my head and I know it. I like to pretend about their personalities, like the way my LTF tolerates the horde of pukis and vies for my attentions in rivalry with my favorite tiny, Pip. In the end, it's all make-believe.

18. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Not exactly.

Nope.

No.

No.

~*~

I do feel bad when I put a lot of money in to a doll and never get around to doing what I wanted with it before I buy another. Thankfully I've stopped and am finally getting around to those projects!
      I do feel bad if I didn't take a doll to somewhere that turns out picturesque - therefore missing some great photo opportunities.

19. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No, do I owe my couch, shoes, pencils, or door hinges part of my daily time or thoughts? An object is an object is an object.

No, when I've noticed I spent more attention on one doll rather than another it generally boils down to the lesser doll being uninteresting or more work than I can give at the moment.

No, the only reason anyone gets things for their dolls is because they personally want to see them in it, not out of any sort of 'obligation'.

I don't take my dolls out. Even if I did, I wouldn't. A doll is a doll.

20. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I agree with what's been said above--I owe it to myself after the money/time invested in them to enjoy them as much and as often as possible.

Yes! But all my adoration for my dolls are different brands of adoration. Deathbunnie is my "main," I got into BJDs just so I could make her. Cuprit is my inspiration, I aspire to customize my dolls to match her glory. Salandria is my muse, she gives me more freedom and creativity than any of the others, Red is my impression of myself, serious, mature, stoic...

Not for all of them. Deathbunnie needs lots of outfits for the various scenes I have planned for her, and the same goes for Salandria. Red has two outfits, one for work and one for her casual life. Cuprit is Cuprit, she wouldn't be Cuprit without her original costume and that's all she'll ever wear.

I do. Salandria is my doll of choice to travel. She is my most inexpensive (a Resinsoul Mei) and definitely the smallest (all my others are 60cm or taller!) so she is travel sized. I am frustrated that I find it inconvenient to bring the others because I would enjoy sharing them with others, but I know I would be even more upset if one of my Soom's broke a finger or stained a faceup than my little Mei. Replacement parts for Resinsoul are inexpensive and easy to acquire, I would only be upset if she were truly ruined--but then for another $150 I could have a brand new one. There's not much coming back from a ruined Cuprit! That's just $1500 down the drain... So in a way, I guess I wish all my dolls were equal in terms of fiscal value since they are close to equal value in emotional value, heh.