1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Separation Anxiety: When you just can't let go...

Jan 11, 2009

1. I am the same way.
      My mom tells me to get rid of "the stuffed stuff", all the time. I can't do it.

I'm sure I'm going to be the same with dolls when I get mine.
      There is a very very very very very small chance that I'd EVER give one up.
      Even if it would be for living expenses.

But, I would sell one if I didn't bond with him/her.
      D: I'd hate to have a sweet dolly just sitting in a box, collecting dust.
      That would hurt more than selling.

2. I never could sell any of my dolls. They are very special to me. :)

3. I haven't had to deal with leaving my dolls anywhere for any bit of time but I can already tell if they had to be anywhere I didn't know what was going on I'd freak out. Even sending them away for a faceup or something like that would scare me too much! As for selling a doll, I dont think I've ever really thought of actually letting my dollies go. I do fear I wont bond and have the thought of selling them in my head, but the actual thought frightens me to be giving something up I had grown fond of in the picture. I just have to wait and see for when that doll arrives :)

4. Ah yeah I have the same problem x-x Actually, one of my kids is at a friend's house for measurements...and I'm freakin' out ; ; I miss him so much.

It was really hard to let some of my kids go when it came to money problems. It's horrible. But...attachment is what these guys are all about ^^ So there's nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to pulling out of things.

5. =-= I planned on changing molds for my Obitsu girl,
      But Ive been through so much trouble getting her with my constant money issues :/ So when I got her, I loved her to death. It was my first bjd and IN America owo. The experience was all epic. Ive been looking for heads for her and everything. I honest to God was crying my eyes out when her leg broke because of a problem with her internal skeleton :p Imma dork *shrugs* But I felt so bad. I slept with her that night, she on my pillow, broken-legged and all. And I cant see myself giving her up. I just cant. >3 *pulls her body close* *head is at faceup artist* *cat runs away from shock*

^-^; HuHu

6. I definitely have this problem. The first time it happened was when I was having trouble with my first doll. She just didn't seem to be the doll for me. There were others that fit my vision better. I finally got myself to put a feeler up in the marketplace only to spend the next few days filled with anxiety and regret over what I was doing.

I ended up giving her to my sister and feel much better about doing that than selling her to a stranger and shipping her away in a box. I still pick her up and play with her sometimes.

Now, I am selling my second doll, who was one of my dream dolls, but isn't working out either. I don't feel as sad, letting him go as my little girl, but more a since of failure and anxiety that I am not doing the right thing.

I just hope I can find a doll soon who works out for me :(.

7. Having a doll, developing a bond, and then getting so attached you have seperation anxiety over leaving it...two of the three apply to me.

I don't HAVE Lestat yet...still waiting for my mom to get him from the lady i'm buying him from, but, yeah....

After i first saw him, held him for all of 5 minutes, i had to give him back and walk away. When my mom and me got out of the dealers room (this was at A-Kon 20) we stopped and she tried to tell me how it would be fine, she'd talk to her friend and tell her what i wanted so she could pass the info on to her sister (the lady who has Lestat) and...i honestly couldn't talk for fear of crying right there in the middle of the con. I couldn't leave him. He was my baby and i was leaving him and i felt so horrible! I went back all weekend to check on him and was only happy when i saw that Lestat was still there. And, yeah, i'm still freaking out and just want him to come home (terrified something will happen and i won't get him, even though he's being held for me) Its been just about 2 weeks since i saw him but i swear it feels like a month and, yeah...just want my little Aristocrat T.T

So if anything, i'm the crazy one here. ^^;;;

8. I haven't had the selling problem but right now my doll is off for a faceup and i'm worrying 24/7 about it. I trust the person i sent her to but it still scares me that she might get lost or stolen. It's very weird when she's not sitting around my room

9. for a while I thought about doing something similar, though I was going to give a smaller doll of mine as a suprise. But I just couldn't do it. She is a part of my doll family. and I bonded with her.

10. I've kind of experienced this before. I've sold many dolls and I have to admit I only really miss one out of the lot. He was my first, and as I'm currently trying to replace him with an even better doll but I am still finding it difficult to bond with the new one. Other than that, as horrible as it may sound I don't really miss them. I feel I got something better from selling them, and I fell who ever bought them will appreciate them more than me. I will be honest though and say there is one of two that I currently own that I probably would feel a type of separation anxiety if I had to sell them only because I'm not ready to let go. (but thats really just a one or two. >>; )

11. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted! I have wanted to sell my Petite Ai's body and buy a new one, but even though it's not unique to her at all (plus, it can't pose for crap), it's "her" body and I can't imagine it being gone. The same goes for my SD Sara, who is oldskin resin. A pureskin would be nice, but just not the same.

12. I know what you mean! When I sent my petite Ai's head off to be painted, I actually cried! It's lame, I know, but I felt bad sending her tiny little head out into that huge world :( The postal service makes me more nervous than anything else.

13. I don't mind being away from my boys if I go on holiday or if I'm sending heads off for face-ups, but I really don't know if I could sell any of them.

If I were to sell one, I know which one it would be. I've thought about it off and on for a while, but right now I just can't bring myself to do it. I just look at his little face and I go all mooshy and wonder how I could even think about selling him. Yeah, I know it's a silly response, but *meh* that's what I'm like.

There's also the fact that he's my housemate's favourite, so if I sold him I would have a :( housemate for some time.

So, I think the boy is pretty safe for the time being.

14. Y'know, I never would have figured myself for the type to get sentimental about this type of thing, though I have attachment issues with almost everything I own (it's really more of a "this is mine...how could it ever belong to anyone else?" issue than anything)...but just reading the first post about thinking about selling the doll made me get teary-eyed :sweat

I know I could never sell any of my dolls...no way. I don't even think I could let someone borrow them! I'm already forming attachments with the dolls I'm waiting on right now haha....I'm waiting on a B&G Sapphira, and she's coming with a free Leile....I convinced myself that I could make some money back because I didn't really like Leile, and I could just sell her on the marketplace....but then, I started looking at other pictures of her and found that it wasn't the mold I didn't like, it was the default face-up.....so now I'm worried I'll be attached to her and won't let her go, though I never planned to get her in the first place! I don't even have her yet, and the thought of sending her away makes me worried hahaha....*feels very ridiculous..*

15. While I have never sold a BJD, and don't plan to, the first time I sold a doll from my vintage vinyl collection it definitely caused some anxiety. Each time one of them goes to a new home, there is a twinge -- unless the buyer is a person who is not afraid to show delight at their purchase. Then I am just happy she will get the attention I can not -- after all, now the resin crew is way more demanding of
      my time.

16. Two of my dolls that I ddin't completely bond with have gone to homes where they are adored. But I had to learn to do my own faceups because I can't bear to send them away for faceups.

17. I recently had to sell a doll for financial reasons and I cried my eyes out boxing her up. It is an experience I never want to go through again. I never realized when I got into this hobby how attached I would become to my dolls.

18. I'm sending my boys away for faceups this weekend...and it's nerve-wracking. :...( I did his temporary faceup myself, but I just can't get his eyes the way I want them, so I have to send him off...even worse than that for me, though, is the knowledge that I need to wipe his current faceup before putting him in the mail. It's a weird sense of loss that I didn't expect to feel, even though I really want this done.

So...yeah, if I'm like this just getting a faceup done, there's no way I could ever give up one of my boys. ^_^;;

19. well when I buy a doll its usually after a lot of debating questioning my desision and so on, so when I buy a doll I am usually pretty sure of wanting it, and mostly already have a character waiting for the doll.

and for most of my dolls even the idea of giving them up seems impossible to me, they are all special characters to me that would not be right in a different sculpt, so selling one, feels to me like losing that char (very posibly for ever) and that Freaks Me Out!

I have debated selling my Iplehouse Tatiana for a while (since she arrived to me broken bonding was hard, and I could not get the face-up how I wanted it so I was giving up) but I just could not do it She is MY Cychwynn and I can't justify giving her up (so I sent her off for face-up and adore the heck out of her now :) )

once a doll is mine its NOT leaving........ Just the way it is.

20. Right now I'm actually madly debating if I should sell the two twins I bought recently =_=;;; I love them, dearly, but at the same time there's no real connection.. no real bonding? I don't know how to explain it. So I'm going to think about it for a little bit longer. I've only sold one doll in the past and I actually regret it, yet I don't. *le sigh*