1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Shelling OCs vs Dolls You Like

Sep 13, 2018

1. Honestly, If a doll I want isn't directly for an OC, I will make one for them. It's part of my bonding process, and I think it makes them just a little more fun to work with.

2. Both, I think.

My first doll came to me because I felt like she was the perfect host for a character that I'd been dreaming of for a while. The doll in question is waiting for a proper body to really get the show on the road, but it's been incredibly inspiring just to have her sweet face to look at as I daydream.

The second doll is simply beautiful in her own right, and I suspect that if she does have a story, it will unfold in good time. I look forward to enjoying her in more of a casual way, without worrying over all of the precise details that accompany the first doll.

In general, I think that I would prefer to have an identity in mind for any doll that I wanted to add to my collection. For me personally, that gives me a justifiable reason to add a doll. When I find myself acquiring things without a direct purpose or plan in mind, I usually lose interest pretty quickly.

3. Mostly oc characters, but I have one that I got for looks only. And I’m currently eyeballing some more. :)

4. I started the hobby to shell my original characters from the stories I write. However, that proved to create snags. One, I didn't want to give away what happened in my stories, there were so many characters I wanted to shell, and also i ran into the problem there were dolls I just liked. So I did/am doing a complete overhaul on my collection. While they are still original characters, they do not have a written story that created them. I create them from the doll up, therefore I will be able to do photo stories and reveal their secrets then.

5. I've been wanting to shell an OC I have, but I just feel it's too difficult to find the sculpt I love for them. I could be searching for hours for the perfect one but still would be worried if it accurately depicted my OC. I feel with looking at dolls I truly love to bits because of small details is so much easier. I love making OCs, so I just feel it's another way to make another OC that I'll love and cherish!

6. One of the main reasons I got into the hobby was because I loved that dolls could be customized to look like I wanted them to, from eyes, hair and clothing to facial features themselves (though face-up or even modding). So the very first thing I thought was "hey, I could recreate my own characters with dolls!" :)
      ...And, basically, that's what I kept doing. For me, it's easier to work with a doll whose character and appearance I already know. Most of my characters have been with me for years, so it's easy for me to know what their style is gonna be, what their face-up is going to look like and even what their attitude in photos is gonna be.

With non-OC dolls, I don't think I'd be just as dedicated, because I'd have to do everything from scratch, figure out what the face-up would look like according to the doll's features... my main fear is that I'd get frustrated after a while because I wouldn't know what to do with the sculpt and the lack of an already formed character wouldn't make me "bond" with the doll. And since bjds ain't exactly a cheap hobby... I really wouldn't want to end up spending a lot of money on a doll that looks pretty, but with which I wouldn't know what to do .__.' also, although bjd sculpts are none of my work, I would somehow feel that a non-OC doll based on already existing features would be... not completely mine? '_' Not sure how to explain it, but basically... for me one thing is finding a doll sculpt that looks like my character (aka, having someone else's work fit my own ideas) and another completely thing is basing my ideas on an already existing sculpt (aka making my own ideas fit someone else's work). The latter would feel more like creating a fan character, and I'd always feel like my "ideas" at that point wouldn't fully belong to me, so I'd have a hard time getting attached to the doll, too.

That is just how it works for me though! I actually really admire people who manage to come up with gorgeous dolls based on the sculpts they get and I sure love seeing full set dolls as well!

7. Mostly OCs. I saw MYOU Ben and was immediately struck by him, then I started to study his promotional shots and thought that he'd work as a child-version of an OC. Since he's come home, it's not really worked, but I still adore him. So, he's stuck around with the name of the OC.

I have an ideal image for my collection. A group of five from the same story, maybe six if I can find the perfect sculpt for the additional character, and a couple of 'artist interpretations' of popular characters. I've always wanted a doll-version of Devil May Cry's Dante and, for a while, one of Resident Evil's Leon Kennedy. I have a sculpt for Leon, I've just got to put enough time aside to work on him, and I did pick one out for Dante. I did think I could cheat and switch one of the main five to Dante occasionally, but I would love to make a proper project of it and have him as an 'art piece'. My own hard work on proud display 24-7.

But, it's mostly OCs, so that I have that strong bond from the start. I started out with an impulse doll and tried to make a character for him, but it didn't work out. However, there's a sentimental connection. It's not quite the same as the character dolls, but it's keeping me from allowing the OG doll to move on to someone who could fulfil his potential.

8. I buy dolls I love and then create characters for them. Or see a doll, love it, create a character for it, and then buy it.

9. I think this is an important question for all bjd owners :)
      My dolls represents my characters who I have in my mind for almost 20 years now (well, many of them are younger than 10 years). BUT the doll does not represent the character's physical appearence in 100%, sometimes it only represents something (like the 3rd arm of a girl I'll make represents the demons and bad memories that haunts her etc.)

But I have a doll, who was based on a character which had no real physical treat except for being a female, and the doll's design became the character's design :)

10. I'm firmly in the shelling OCs camp; I usually look out for sculpts with a character in mind. For me an OC is like a beating heart, it gives the sculpt life, purpose and personality. That character reflects the choices I make when customising the doll. Although I have fallen in love with doll sculpts, I find it hard to justify getting it without a character to stand behind it and animate it. On some occasions I've had the sculpt shaping the character, but there will always be one behind that. I have not owned a doll for purely aesthetic purposes. It wouldn't acquire the same emotional value and importance as a doll which is a shelled OC, and it would be a shame to invest that much in something that may only be second best.

11. I've done both~! Of my six boys, two were chosen based on OCs, the rest were chosen because I fell in love with their sculpts. And then made OCs based on them afterwards.

12. I buy them to shell my OCs, and I tend to avoid looking at dolls unless I have a character in mind... that being said, I have made OCs to shell into sculpts I like! My DOD Elf Ducan created an OC and my DOD Elf Petsha too, but it's like they were part of my group already! My OCs are largely all different generations of the same families, with new characters coming and going, so if there's a sculpt I really like, I can quite easily either add a new generation line, or fill up an existing one! I have two obitsus that I had OCs for, but they were a bit of a passing phase, so they don't get any attention... whereas my resins all come from the massive lineage I have, and I seem to bond with those characters much better.

Basically, I can make an OC for a sculpt I like with very little issue!

13. I both shell OCs and have dolls that I got simple cause I loved them but I actually have more of the latter, with only 3 of my dolls being shelled OCs. I picked those 3 characters because each was kind of special to me in it's own way (all my OCs were special but these for very specific reasons). But others were ones that just kinda...spoke to me. Ones that I saw and fell in love with.

I didn't shell any of my OCs into a body unless I liked the sculpt, though. Even if I felt it might fit the character, I was worried I'd eventually grow to dislike the sculpt so it took a while to find ones that fit all the criteria, but were also ones I loved.

14. I'm just a collector... A few of the gang were very deliberately picked to be avatars for favorite City of Heroes MMO toons, but the vast majority of my crew were purchased simply because I liked the look of their sculpts.

That said, I've been an old-school, paper-and-funky-dice tabletop RPG player and GM for thirty-something years now, and have found that sometimes a new doll will remind me strongly enough of a particular player- or non-player character to become a resin avatar for that individual. I didn't go looking for doll versions of Kareyeru, or Solomon, or William Adolphus for instance... but I still happened to end up with dolls that worked really well for them. When that happens, I go with it.

Being a long-time GM also means that I'm a habitual world-builder. Coming up with new settings and situations as thought experiments is just something that comes pretty naturally. In doll terms, that's resulted in most of the members of the crew who didn't remind me of any specific pre-existing character still finding character-like roles in one of my (often specifically-themed though vaguely-defined) world-groups. They may even have a new group grow up around them. I call those groups "casts", and there are several of them in my collection… The kami and elementals from the White City's celestial bureaucracy, the Montanari brother's circle of modern magi, the Turtle House extended family... Some of those casts' worlds are more developed than others, but they're all a useful framework for figuring out what I want to do with a doll that's included in them.

I also have a few dolls who just aren't characters at all. They're neither avatars for existing ones nor did they ever settle into a role in one of the casts. They're "just dolls". Maybe someday they'll become characters of some sort, but if they don't... I'm okay with that. :lol:

15. My first doll I selected because of how much he resembled one of my OCs and I hadn't initially intended to shell him. I absolutely love him and so far I've gotten myself organized as to which OCs I want to shell. One of the most recent dolls I ordered was not the sculpt I had initially intended, but the doll just came out, looked amazing, and I liked the body much more than the one I planned. He's a bit younger looking than the character's current age but I think overall the doll fits him.

One sculpt I chose I absolutely fell in love with and after three days of consideration I decided to get my hands on him and make a character for him.

A few of the other OCs I'm shelling were somewhere between selecting a doll that matched their personality and selecting one I liked the look of, since I never got around to completing the appearance of these characters. But I had initially shelled one of them (who has a twin) and decided to do the whole set. There will be a total of 6 (not counting the twin duplicate), the 2 vaguest of the group were the easiest to find sculpts for. The most difficult was the OC that is the brother to the twins I needed to find a sculpt that fit him and was close enough to the twins so they would look related. Ultimately, I settled on a sculpt that fit his character and was appealing to me, turns out he's fairly close enough in features to the twins.

I currently have a list of sculpts I like and a list of OCs I might want to shell. I try to find an OC that matches dolls I really like so I have an excuse to buy them. But I'm still waiting around for perfect matches to my main OCs.

16. I bought my first doll way back in 2010 with the intention of making her a specific OC for a writing project that was glorified fanfiction, but that was a bad time in my life – a person who I was friends with at the time ended up stealing from me and the IP I was basing my story off of had a lead actor who turned out to be abusive...
      The OC I was trying to shell reminded me of those bad times and my doll stayed in her box for over a decade.
      I pulled her out of her box this year, wondering if I should sell her, but instead I felt she and I had been through a lot of hardship together, and I wanted to give her a second chance, which is how I fell deep into the rabbithole of bjd collecting!
      So now I just buy sculpts I like that call to me in some way – my MSD Toki head's grumpy little face, or the Noh-mask-esque serene/sad face of my Volks F-55 girl.
      I let the sculpts "speak" to me while I'm handling them to let their personalities emerge, and my original doll has gone from her first incarnation as a Victorian-esque seer to a tough cyberpunk shopkeeper!

17. I have both, but I really enjoy picking out all the parts to shell out dolls. I have way too many OCs to ever do them all but some of my characters translate to doll form so well. My other dolls I didn't have any ideas about the character, I just let the doll do the talking :) I love meeting them for the first time out the box and seeing what personalities they have! some dolls really just challenge what you might've planned for them, and you end up completely changing course because of the way they feel in hand.

18. From my very beginnings in this hobby (way back in 2006) I wanted to create characters. It came so naturally to me, something my imagination had been doing in one way or another since childhood. I wanted to explore fashion styles to my heart’s content, so coming up with characters to wear them became my thing. I began by creating a fantasy-based world in my mind, which would enable me to indulge in many styles and creatures…rather like a Tim Burton’s “Alice”. This gave me tremendous freedom to collect and create anything that caught my fancy, allowing me to slowly build the collection of my dreams over the years. My only hard and fast rule has always been “no character, no doll”.

19. I felt like shelling an OC was what you *had* to do for a long while, but I honestly find myself enjoying the hobby a lot more if I don't put that stress on myself. I love how things turn out from unexpected choices (and my faceup skills that never give me a predictable result :sweat), the dolls will develop their own character in the end anyway.

20. I have a problem where I buy dolls I love and then create an oc just for them. :sweat Which makes me end up with sooo many ocs that I couldn't possibly do anything with all of their stories. And the characters that I've already written novels for, or are in the process of, I'm rarely inspired to shell those characters. I'm a bit of an oc mess I guess. :XD: