1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I tell the face up artist I'm planning to sell the doll?

Apr 9, 2020

1. @Viridiansummer I'm glad you could make a decision that worked for you. I bet t wasn't easy. There were a lot f different points of view here. @Dynamint I'm glad I've learned about the way Japanese faceup artists handle this - I had no idea!

2. There's not point, in a way it's none of their business, they are there to do face up not to meddle with your doll business. I mean it's like going to a car body shop getting some stuff done on your car and then sell it because it looks better. Nothing wrong with that.

3. While it's interesting to hear, this makes zero sense to me, and I actually find the concept annoying. If I buy a piece of artwork at a gallery, does it still belong to the artist? Shall I smash it to bits and throw it away rather than sell it at some point down the road? Not on your life. With all due credit given to the artist, it is mine to keep forever or sell if I tire of it. You pay an artist for the sake of personal ownership, not to borrow something until they decide otherwise - so if they cannot bear to have their work passed from one person to another, then they shouldn't be creating for anyone but themselves in the first place. If I sell a doll and the new owner loves the faceup, there is no way that I am going to wipe it. There are many people who fall for a doll on the merit of the faceup alone.

4. Dear Vindiansummer, I am glad that you sifted through the comments and made a decision that was best for you. In the end, it's all about how you feel.

5. Idk, the assumptions underpinning a transaction make a big difference. One time, I took on a paper craft commission for a tenner because I assumed the context was: this object has sentimental value and the owner wanted it fixed. So, I was charging a charitable rate.

Turns out the owner wanted multiple updates and meet ups throughout the process, and I found out he was intending to *display my work in Berlin as part of his art show*. For which I would have charged considerably more, or said no from the outset. The temptation to set the thing on fire...!

My guess is that a lot of face up artists are not charging full market rates for their time, and are instead doing it on a semi-charitable / love of the hobby basis.

My thing is clothing, and I would absolutely charge differently for a named person who wanted something specific for their doll, and for a small business owner trying to make a profit, say, by incorporating my garb into a fullset. The emotions are different, and so is the cost. perhaps the solution is "never undercharge for your work", but that's the online craft market for you. And perhaps there shouldn't be a difference between buying something from an anonymous factory, and buying something from a person - but there is, and a lot of the time what you're paying for from a sole artisan working in his bedroom is that human connection, that extra customisation and care.

As an artist, I think I want to know.

6. I find this question vexing. It is such a moral dilemma. I feel that I always turn to a face up artist to complete a doll's face up because I have every intention to complete her and integrate her into my collection. There's only been one time where a while after I received the head I was unable to keep the intended girl. So I sold her because her intended compatriot also had to be sold but for another reason entirely. If a head will be sold from the get go, why bother involving a face up artist?