1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Versus Double Jointed Bodies

Oct 19, 2009

1. #1 in the 'series':celebrate

While looking at different dolls, I've often seen in the description of the doll's body type "single jointed" vs "double jointed", or "old type" vs "new type". My question isn't really about the specific differences between the types of bodies (though I wouldn't mind hearing more about it:whee:).

I want to know: do all dolls produced now come with double jointed bodies? Or is it that only some companies make their dolls like that?
      Thanks in advance guys.

2. The jointing depends on the company--some do and some don't. It's not unusual for companies to tweak their bodies every so often so there will be more than one version floating around (particularly when it comes to second hand dolls in the marketplace)--that's where the old and new versions come from.

3. I think there is alot of info on this if you would care to search for it. I cant think of any threads off of the top of my head though.

But, I dont believe every single doll company makes dolls with double joints. But Im not sure if we all can be positive about that since there are so many doll companies out there. The double joint system is very popular among buyers and companies though since the dolls tend, in my opinion, to pose better then single jointed dolls.

I tend to have more of a hard time posing dolls with double joints, especially SDs. MSDs tend to pose alot easier with double jointed bodies. I havent had a tiny with a double jointed body so I cant give my opnion on that.

4. I was searching through the threads for an answer (honestly i was actually just using the search function most of the time...:sweat) but I couldn't find anything on the topic.

But thanks for the bit of info guys.

5. Many are double jointed, many aren't, many are partially double jointed (puki pukis, for example, have double jointed knees but not elbows), it just depends on the doll. Some companies offer both - Fairyland's Minifees for example have the B-line which is single jointed (some people call it the "old body" which isn't totally accurate since it's still available to buy new, but it is the "original" body) and the A-line body which is (amazing!!!) double jointed. Dollzone Minis are available both ways. Some also have newer and older bodies that are both either single or double jointed - Dolkot just came out with an update to their double-jointed mini body, both the old and new are double jointed but they are two different designs. There are 3 types of Delf bodies, etc. It totally depends on the company.

6. Aah I think i get it a bit more now. Thanks Amy.

7. Single jointed: The torso is made of one piece of resin. Some people think this is more aesthetically pleasing.
      Double jointed: The torso is made of two pieces. It's generally divided into upper torso, then the second part (tummy, hips), starts where the ribcage on a person would end. Different companies have different types, so always look!

Moooost companies have both double and single jointed torsos these days. :)

Old type vs. New type is as others have said, too. Companies tweak their sculpts now and then, usually for the better. When in doubt, find comparison pics and figure out which you like more.

I hope I could help a little! :)

8. Double-jointed isn't based entirely on the torso. Some companies have three part torsos., but most are in two.

Generally speaking, double-jointed bodies are slight more posable and often times a touch more expensive than single-jointed bodies sold by the same company. Just look up what the company offers and nosing around threads here involving the dolls you're interested in.

9. The posing balance is different on single versus double jointed torsos too. I see that with a lot of the double jointed ones, the only way to pose them standing is with the butt sticking out and a sway-back. This drives some people crazy.

10. Any bit of info helps. Thanks!

Thanks Ellanie, I'll keep looking around.

11. I consider double-jointedness to have to do with the knees and elbows, far more than the torso. For the torso I look to see if it's 1-part, 2-part or 3-part, and most importantly if it's 2-part WHERE the joint is. A low hip joint only drives me nuts, I really dislike those; while a higher mid-torso joint I like a lot. You can have a single torso joint with double jointed arms and legs though, and I still consider that double jointed.

12. Reading the responses led me to question #1b:
      Whether the doll has a jointed torso or not affects its ability to pose well I'm assuming. Does it GREATLY affect the range of motion the doll is able to have? (Links to pics greatly appreciated:aheartbea)

13. Well, that really just depends. I'm with AmyAngel in that I prefer a two part torso where the joint is at the bottom of the chest. It lets a doll slouch forward a bit when they sit. The problem a lot of people have with this is that the lower part of the torso can get pushed back and stick out on the doll's back. It doesn't both me any since my dolls always clothes that cover it.

The joint at the hip just lets them turn the upper torso slightly left or right. A three part includes both the hip and chest joint. A single part is a torso that has no joints at all. It's just all one piece.

As a comparison shot of a three part torso to a two part with a chest joint, here is a LittleFee Flora (she belongs to Mortifox) and my Bobobie Bei. (Blurry pic and both are smaller dolls, but you get the idea.)
      [​IMG]

And to illustrate the part that sticks out on certain dolls. I'm sorry it's so dark and blurry, I took this shot after I got my BBB Bao to see how he poses. He leans way back unless he's propped forward like this while sitting. Fortunately, most sculpts that are single-part torsos or have the joint at the hip have are more room for the legs to move forward so that they can sit up straight. My Bao here doesn't.
      [​IMG]

14. Ah I see now. That cleared it up a bit, thanks.

15. In the case of elfdoll boys (not sure about girls) the old body was 60cm solid torso and single jointed. From my understanding it is longer sold off the main site and has been replaced with a new 63cm redesigned solid torso, double jointed body. Not sure about the knees though. I also believe thier resin tones changed when they changed to the new build as well.

I would be careful not to believe that an oldbody is actually a bad thing. As with some companies it may just be a difference of slight resin color diffence(batch), mechanisms, height, or muscle sculpt. Probably compare several bodies you like and decide what will best suit what you're looking for.

16. Actually, that's not quite true. Single jointed has nothing to do with the number of torso joints. It's the traditional ball jointing with a more limited range of movement. Double jointed generally has more oblong joints that allow for a much greater range of movement.

As far as the torso goes, they can be unjointed (one piece), mostly seen in tinies. One joint (2 part body) seems pretty much the norm while other bodies will have two torso joints (three part body) generally with one under the bust & another at the hipline. On the 2 part bodies the joint can very from under to the bust to the hipline.

17. With regards to the number of joints in the torso in relation to how posable they are, check out this photo of my MNF Shushu. She has a joint under her bust that allows me to pose her on her stomach with her head elevated. If that joint wasn't there she wouldn't be able to hold that pose at all.

I haven't owned or had the chance to play with a single-jointed body, so I have no grounds for a comparison, but I really enjoy the effortless posing that my A-Line MNF bodies offer.

18. By the way, I thought I should point out that double-jointed does not always mean more posable.

Posability also in part depends on how well a doll is "balanced" and how easy it is to adjust it's center of gravity - it's a big part of originally engineering the body. My Kid Delf only has double-jointed arms - his legs are single-jointed but he poses much, much better than my Lati who's got double-jointed everything plus a thigh joint (and they both have a two-part torso).

I think he also poses better than my Super Gem who has double-jointed arms and legs and a three-part torso, but it might be because I'm very not used to handling such a big and heavy doll.

19. My boy is double jointed and I often have some trouble posing him but I think it's mostly due to the fact he's somewhat loosely stringed. So he's a little floppy. Also the topside of his underpants (with a string to hold up) gets into his hip joint.
      I haven't gotten time yet to restring him and I am sure not doing it all by myself the first time.
      But the trick is to just get him upright and then put him down on his feet and he'll be fine. I can even make him do this: http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/Ilumdir/Shinta/th_CIMG5868.jpg
      In the photo he's standing in basic aikido pose right on the tatami (soft underground which can be whobbly). It's also a great thing he has a locking system in his kneejoints. This shows a lot is possible with double jointed dolls, but you may need to be a little patient.

20. Yeah, even single-jointed bodies can be great posers with good stringing and a good amount of suading. After Suading all of her joints. My BBB tiny girl poses like a dream, but that might be partly becuase I really know how to work with her.