1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Size Comparison Article Discussion

Dec 8, 2015

1. I see people, mainly newbies, ask about the pros and cons of different sizes all the time, so I felt like writing up a comprehensive list of points from what I know. It ended up longer than I thought, but still, I'm a small-time collector with a narrow focus so I don't feel confident I everything in there, or that it's all accurate.

I collect and am mainly interested in 1/4-scale dolls, with a couple tinies. I'd like any input on what other collectors feels are pros/cons or just important points to know about specific sizes/ranges. Let me know if you disagree with any points too, or feel something could be worded better. I'm not sure where I'd share such an article, but I thought it would be fun and useful to make and discuss =) .

1/3 – SD-range and bigger
      • The most sewing-machine-friendly size, and the most forgiving scale when sizing/patterning; you can have larger seam allowances and a larger margin of error. However, SD bodies are the biggest and often most mature, so they require more sewing and details overall. Clothing that's too simple, not fitted to their body type, or not sewn realistically may look bad on them. Much more notions are available, and it's overall easier to find well-scaled materials.
      • Most surface area on face sculpts to do faceups. More room to work on them.
      • Lots of clothes/shoes/wigs available. The big size allows for the most detailed, elaborate, and/or realistic accessories available in the market (eyes, wigs, clothes, shoes, etc.). There are many unique props and accessories that are rare or nonexistent for smaller sizes (think jewelry, watches, bags, et cetera.)
      • Most detail possible. Clothes tend to look more realistic due to the forgiving scale.
      • Most realistic, adult, and detailed sculpts, proportions, and bodies.
      • More varieties of body types, heights, overall wide range of styles. However, getting good-fit clothes may be more difficult due to this; must be careful about different sizes/proportions of 1/3 clothing.
      • Most expensive overall. Not just the doll, but clothes and shoes are often more expensive; not a one-time cost. This is just a general rule; company, quality, and place of manufacture can all effect the prices wildly. "For example, a 60cm Mirodoll Mika is only $200 (and currently on sale for $120), but a 15.5cm Fairyland Pukifee is $210. Clothing/shoes depend on where you shop too. You can get a full outfit with shoes for SD cheaper on some sites than you can get one pair of pants for YoSD on others."
      • Not easy to lose, misplace, place.
      • Very heavy, hard to carry/transport/play with/find space for. It will be difficult to take to meets, conventions, travelling, photography spots, especially more than one.
      • Furniture & dioramas are more difficult, hard to find and make space for.
      • Extreme heaviness may make dolls not as stable to stand and have harder impacts upon falls.
      • 1/4 can scale well next to 1/3 as children/teens. 1/6 are generally too small.
      • Has the most amount of 'presence' due to the size and detail. The most sculptural, grand, and substantial-feeling.

1/4 - MSD, slim mini, and other
      • Sewing for this size still allows for a lot of clothing detail and sewing machine usage, but hand-sewing can be more useful and necessary here than for 1/3 size. Less margin of error than 1/3 and harder to find well-scaled materials.
      • An easy size to work on faceups.
      • Lots of clothes/shoes/wigs available. Heads are most often between 6-8in and eyes are usually between 12mm-16mm; sometimes heads and eyes may be a bit smaller, especially for mature minis. Most wig designs/colors are available between 6-8in, especially 7-8in. Eyes between 12-16mm are standardly available. Many companies and etsy shops for Volks/MNF measurement dolls. Less shoes available than 1/3, with overall less detail and realism, and non-MSD-size feet shoes are much more difficult to shop for.
      • Fewer varieties of body types and heights than 1/3 range, overall more uniform in sizes (Volks MSD measurements and slim minis like Fairyland MiniFee are most common). This gives less choices, but it’s extremely easy to find fitting clothes in the market if you have a standard size.
      • Changing market; adult slim minis and more body types and styles in general are gaining popularity and being developed, adding more diversity, but they’re more difficult to shop for. Examples of mature minis are Luts Model Delfs, Raccoon Dolls, and Granado, Dollmore and Fairyline fashion dolls and ChicLine dolls.
      • Clothes may be more childish/immature, especially boy clothes (lots of shorts & boyish fashions, adult men’s fashion is rare). Girl clothes are often either girly/lolita or casual. Overall a less fashion variety than 1/3 market.
      • Sculpts are overall more youthful, childish, often more anime/stylized than realistic. Proportions tend to be a bit cartoonish too, especially slim minis, with larger heads and eyes relative to the body than 1/3.
      • Costs are generally between 1/3 and 1/6. Clothes, shoes, accessories are overall a bit cheaper than 1/3.
      • The smallest scale with adult/mature-passable proportions and sculpts. Can be seen as mini-1/3s, easily being able to wear similar fashions and pass for similar ages with the proper customization. Dolls smaller than 1/4 tend to be children, fantasy creatures/beings, or unusual, non-standard mature minis that are much more difficult to shop for.
      • A good size to transport, carry, and handle, if it’s just one or maybe two. Significantly less heavy and cumbersome than SD. Still has some heft and is still considered a decently impressive size for a doll.
      • Much more furniture and prop options available due to the shared scale with popular mainstream dolls like American girls. Furniture and dioramas overall much more manageable to store, create, and make room for, but still not easy. Dolls can comfortably sit in bookshelves, but not stand.
      • More manageable to carry and pose in groups for photoshoots, photostories.
      • Less weight makes possible drops/falls less potentially damaging and impactful. But the lighter weight may make them less sturdy and easier to knock over if kept sitting/standing near an edge.
      • Can scale as children/teens next to 1/3/SD or as adults/teens next to 1/6/YoSD. The most age-flexible visually.

1/6 - YoSD and others
      • The smaller it goes, the more fussy and difficult the sewing. This size has the smallest margin for error. Most limited compatible fabrics/materials to use at this scale. Sewing for these dolls is the cheapest due to the smallest need for fabric/materials and the smallest benefit from sewing machines; hand-sewing or knitting/crocheting simple clothes for this size is popular. It has the least detail possible. But when so tiny, dolls are often still cute even with few details or simple clothing/accessories.
      • Faceups may get more challenging for heads sizes 5-6in and smaller, especially very small heads between 3-5in. It requires the finest lines and smallest brushes and workmanship.
      • Tinies come in the most diverse and non-standard sizes, from 4cm to 35cm, standard to fantasy, mature to childish. One can try to roughly categorize as standard Volks YoSD size and Everything else. There is also the ‘tall YoSD’ becoming popular, compatible with the MSD-YoSD range proportions (Nine9Style Bunny, BlueFairy Junior, Iple KID).
      • For standard YoSD, there are plenty of clothes available at most of the same places where MSD/SD clothes are available. For unusual sizes, etsy, ebay, commission, self-sewing, or the doll’s origin company would be good options.
      • Most childish sculpts available. YoSDs are mainly designed to look like young children and can’t even ambiguously pass as adults or teens. There are many fantasy, anthro, and unusual sculpts available as well, so there are a lot of creative designs in this size.
      • YoSD is a very standard size with measurements consistent among most companies. Other tinies come in a huge variety of body types, sizes, and even species. Many anthros, pixies, and other fantasy creatures available.
      • Cheapest of all sizes. The cheaper expense is for the dolls themselves, the shipping, clothes, shoes, and props. Eyes are standard prices, but may be MORE expensive for very small eyes (10mm or below) for certain brands.
      • Easiest to amass a large collection with tinies, due to their storage-ability, transportability, and cost.
      • Could be easy to lose or misplace, especially the very tiny dolls like pukifees.
      • Looks the most like a children’s toy, especially the tinier they are, so non-collectors may not realize the cost, treat it carefully, or take it seriously. Has the least presence and noticeable factor.
      • The most compact and transport-friendly. Easy to carry in a purse or bag, and it's possible to take a group around. Some are even small enough for a pocket.
      • Furniture and dioramas are easiest to find and make for small dolls, the smaller the easier. Lots of miniature props and furniture available in very small scales.
      • "Another big win for YoSD is that they're roughly the same height as Barbie, Monster High and a lot of other fashion dolls, so finding props or even a house for them is as easy as going to your local toy store (or even WalMart!) Some YoSDs can even wear Barbie and Ken clothing, which is much cheaper than most clothes made specifically for BJDs. Living Dead Doll clothes tend to fit pretty well too, if you're into the creepy goth look."
      • 1/6 YoSD scales well as children next to 1/4 MSD or most slim minis, but is too small to be 1/3-compatible.
      • Setting up photoshoots, photostories, and transport for photos, especially in groups, is easiest for this size. Posing is often easier, or at least less hazardous that the doll will be damaged from an accidental fall due to the lightness and smallness.

#1 almyki, Dec 8, 2015
      Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    2. Great list in general.
      There's one point I got to completly disagree with thought XD

The major part of my collection consists of MSD and I have a lot of different companies among them.
      Especially my girls have problems sharing clothes unless it's a loose dress or one that has a corset-like tying at the front or back. This is not only due bust sizes, but simply because I have a really slim doll, than a 'normal' slim mini then a 'normal' mini (Luts) and luckily I don't have Volks on top of that because that one is a rather 'broad' body compared to my other girls.

As for the boys... My smallest is 39 cm. My tallest 52 (Souldoll Vito).
      I have lots of variations in sizes in between and also in built.
      I thought pants at least would be easy to share among them, but nope. Either the legs are too long or the hips to narrow or broad XD Or their tights to thick.

That said, some are of course similar enought to share. But I definitly wouldn't say there are fewervarieties of body types and heights and there being a 'uniform in size'. Not anymore at least :3

That's my personal oppinion at last :3

3. I'm going to disagree with SD being easiest to sew for. What's easiest is really an opinion. In my case, MSD was easiest starting out because I used to own other dolls in their size, and when I started sewing for SD, I had a lot of trouble altering my smaller patterns because they weren't just wider, but thicker. I know someone else who thinks tinies are easiest to sew for because a dress for a 12cm doll can be as simple as sewing lace to ribbon and adding a snap. It's true that a machine will have the least trouble with most 1/3 patterns, but what is easiest still depends on what the person is used to doing, if anything.

Cost varies, too. For example, a 60cm Mirodoll Mika is only $200 (and currently on sale for $120), but a 15.5cm Fairyland Pukifee is $210. Clothing/shoes depend on where you shop too. You can get a full outfit with shoes for SD cheaper on some sites than you can get one pair of pants for YoSD on others. This is going to vary a lot depending on the person's tastes, so I'd hate to make newbies think they can't afford SD and have to stick with tinies, if they really prefer bigger dolls.

I think the rest of the points are pretty good.

Another big win for YoSD is that they're roughly the same height as Barbie, Monster High and a lot of other fashion dolls, so finding props or even a house for them is as easy as going to your local toy store (or even WalMart!) Some YoSDs can even wear Barbie and Ken clothing, which is much cheaper than most clothes made specifically for BJDs. Living Dead Doll clothes tend to fit pretty well too, if you're into the creepy goth look.

4. Really?? That's interesting! And here I felt the most confident in my knowledge of the 1/4 size, haha, but it's true I don't look at many companies aside from a few mainstream ones. I know Volks MSD is often a touch bulky, but I thought something like Luts's mini-size would still be clothes-compatible with Volks.

Could you give a few more examples of the unusual-sized minis popular now? Aside from the new mature and fashion doll-style minis out there, JIDs, and maybe a company or two like Doll Chateau, most of the minis I've seen seem to fit within Volks-MSD/slim mini ranges. But, I also look more at girls than guys too!

I didn't really consider Souldoll Vito a mini though. Do people categorize 50-cm+ dolls still mini? I thought of them and other 50-ish dolls like Dollmore Zaoll as closer to 1/3, or maybe even just... odd limbo dolls, not categorized XD .

That's a good point about sewing. I'll edit it and try to make it more neutral, expanding on the sewing pros and cons for each.

It's true that cost can be a wildly varying factor, but I believe that the quality for the cost is also often connected, especially when it comes to clothing/accessories. And whenever comparing prices from within one company, the bigger the doll/accessories, the higher the cost is relative to their own products. I can add more detail to that point though, explaining your general point =) .

Those are all great points for YoSD that I didn't know! I'll add them to the list. Thank you very much!

5. Yes, I have to agree. Also, the European dollmakers mostly create MSD-sized dolls and every company has their own style and body proportions. One doll is really different from the next and they all have very different measurements than their Asian counterparts. Personally, I think that MSD is the size with the most variety in body shapes :).

6. @almyki:
      Well, the Vito size is double-edged. Some consider them small SD, others large MSD. In my case I have three of these guys and totally can't put them with my SDs as their heads fit 6-7 wigs and that totally would look out of place with my SDs ^^°
      Others have been known to make it work with small-headed SDs.
      I also like to put them with the SoulKids and have a NL body which is 47 cm. So the jump to the 52 isn't really a THAT big one.

And here we are pretty much in the list of examples for unusual-sized minis.
      I'm not 100 % sure about popular, as I don't realls follow that and buy from whatever company puts out a doll that I like (even if apparently no one has ordered from them before).
      Souldoll seems to become more popular thought, so I'll use them as one of two examples.
      In case of Souldoll their MSD line is called Soulkids.
      They have two regular avaible bodies per gender and just recently got an additional bust choice with their female NL (new line) bodies.
      Their older Soulkids bodies are called 'Double', while their newer are called 'NL' (as explained above).
      The Double body of the boys is 45 cm and belongs to the slightly taller guys among the MSD (Doll-Leaves, Luts and Ringdoll MSDs in generall are between 40-43 cm in height).
      They have slight hips, instead of going nearly straight down and while I wouldn't call them 'slim' they are at least more 'slender' than e.g. the older bodies of Luts (like about 4 years ago, wenn I got into the hobby).
      The girl bodies of the double MSD bodies have always been more 'mature' and thus curvy. They are a bit smaller than their male counterparts (I think 42 cm). This would put them back into the 'average' for MSDs if not for their body shape. Again they are 'slender', but not 'slim' like e.g. Minifees.
      On to the NL bodies. The guys are the tallest MSDs around if you ignore Sooms ID51 and Souldolls Vito, as they stand at 47 cm.
      They have broad hips and generally a long torso and broad shoulder, that makes it a slight challenge to find clothes that fit them well. (Souldoll Mini thread will help out there thought ;) ) Especially in the pants department 'made for' would be best in this case.
      The female NL body has similar 'troubles'. Definitly not a 'slim' mini (again refering to Fairylands Minifees), she's too cuvry to fit into most clothes that would fit the middle ground here.

As for my second example, Luts. I have to admit that I do not own a Volks personally. From what I know Volks MSDs are even more child-like than the old bodies and broader than Luts. Volks clothes supposedly DO fit Luts from what I've read so far, but sits looser than it does on the Volks.
      Luts in general also has several variations in bodies by now. There are the child-like ones that were around when I got into the hobby, then there is the slightly more 'romantic' body for the girls, then came the 'Multi'bodies that are a touch more on the slender side, but supposedly still fit old clothes and the new clothes the old bodies and finally they added the ModelDelfs.
      They are definitly mature minis BUT you can put KidDelf heads onto it. ModelDelf and KidDelf clothes are not interchangeable with most girl clothes (if any) and rarely in case of boy clothes (I think I've only seen two sets that work for both sizes according to their web page).

Also, I wouldn't call mature-minis 'new'.
      My first doll 4 years ago was an IslandDoll Shukaku. Back then they only had one body and that was the one now labled 'musclar' one.
      Then there was an Illusion Spirit boy, who was already slender, a Ringdoll Kyo - again very slender, FDoll Mathan - mature mini and the first Withdoll boys, that also qualify as 'mature minis'.
      And yes, this list was mainly boys, because that was what I was looking into back then.
      A newer company with mature ladies in the mini department is Aquarius Doll and Withdoll girls. DreamingDoll already had mature mini girls for a few years as well. I'm not sure how old the D.I.M. GSE body is, but that one definitly is also a mature mini :3

My Aquarius girl was btw more slender than my Luts Multi-body girl and my DDoll girl and couldn't wear any of their dresses without me either tricking with a safety pin at the back or doing a temporary seam at the front in the chest area. Or both. My Loongsoul girl with the smallest chest (pretty much flat) wouldn't be able to wear any of that, because she is too slim in general. To slim hips, no chest... I think not even Loongsoul themselves have clothes for that chest? XD
      So either boy-tops or custom-made stuff is required :3
      Ringdoll also is more on the slender side, but also with mature curves, that they have differnt sizes all over again.

That's just my MSD experience thought. I'm just going to put this pic from 2013 here, that I took of my MSD collection back then *coughs*
      [​IMG]Various MSD by Wildcard_Snowy, auf Flickr
      Some of these could interchange clothes, but I think it's obvious that some of them would be impossible to even consider for swapping ;P Except for 4 dolls all of these are wearing self-made clothes. Not all were made for them (e.g. my tan Resinsoul girl's dress doesn't fit her well, because it wasn't made for her, but I didn't want to leave her nude), but most were :3

And I hope you don't feel overwhelded or discouraged by this wall of text ^^°
      MSD are just my favourite size and I often got told that MSDs were all 'little kids' and ... given that from the start I headed more for the mature section of that size, I tend to feel strongly about that :3

7. Sorry I disappeared for a bit. I was stuck in the real world for a while XD .

@Silk, I didn't know that! I actually know very little about the European BJD market. I'm guessing you're talking about artist dolls that are more popular in Europe? I think in the ABJD hobby in DoA, the main focus for collectors is Asian BJDs, so the points I've made are geared towards that. Could you give some examples of popular European brands/artists with MSD size? I can add this as a separate bullet-point about the European BJD market choices =3 .

@Snowy, thank you for taking the time to give the detailed examples. I do see what you're trying to say, and thinking of it from that perspective, I worded the size/body uniformity too narrowly for MSDs. I'll change the point to reflect that.

But I still feel that comparatively, 1/4 dolls have the most standard and conventional sizes overall. For example, compared to MSDs, where the difference in height may be mainly 38cm-46cm (8cm at the most), 1/3 dolls could go maybe 55cm-70+cm (15+cm). Even within companies, I feel companies have more body variations available for their 1/3 lines than their 1/4 (Iplehouse is a prime example).

I'm sure there's been a few mature minis floating around out there for a long time, but I believe that it's only within the last few years that their popularity has been spreading and making them a more visible option. I've always seen people pop up on DoA lamenting the lack of mature mini options and asking for recommendations with few replies. I wanted to note the changing trend with that point.

Thanks for taking the time, and for sharing your collection! You've got such a big group!

----
      EDIT: Aaand it won't let me edit my first post because 'you can't post more than 10000 characters' or something. OTL I'll leave the changes I plan to make here to remember and try to edit them in later.

1/4 - MSD, slim mini, and other
      • Fewer varieties of body types and heights than 1/3 range, overall more uniform in sizes (Volks MSD measurements and slim minis like Fairyland MiniFee being most common). This gives less choices, but it’s extremely easy to find fitting clothes in the market if you have a standard size. For dolls that aren't standard MSD/slim mini (ex. Iplehouse JIDs, SoulDoll SoulKids), clothes/shoes may be difficult to find, esecially if it's not a well-known brand.
      • "The European dollmakers mostly create MSD-sized dolls and every company has their own style and body proportions. One doll is really different from the next and they all have very different measurements than their Asian counterparts." -Silk. One well-known example is Lillycat Cerisedolls.
      • Changing market; adult slim minis, fashion doll BJDs, and more body types and styles in general are gaining popularity and being developed, adding more diversity, but they’re more difficult to shop for. Examples of recent mature minis are Luts Model Delfs, Raccoon Dolls, and Granado, Dollmore and Fairyline fashion dolls and ChicLine dolls.

#7 almyki, Dec 17, 2015
      Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    8. I don't think they're neccessarily more popular in the European market. At least, I see quite a few of the European dolls on this forum, owned by non-EU people. Lillycat/Cerisedolls for example (this is her website: Lillycat Cerisedolls® - Lillycat Cerisedolls®. She has quite a few different dolls, with different bodies. Then there's Magnetic Duckling: Welcome | Magnetic Duckling, Enaibi, although she doesn't sell dolls too often, and many others who don't sell MSD, but tinies :).

Also, don't forget Leeke's Art-body. Not exactly your average proportions and they were heavilly... influenced by a certain French company.

9. Just a note that there are mature tinies out there. I know because I own 5 of them. And they're not all "new". I have a Soom faery boy (30cm), 2 Lume Lights (30cm) and 2 Batchix Clever Littles (28cm). To be fair, Lume Lights have been discontinued as of last year but you can still get lucky and find them 2nd hand (both mine were from the MP here on DoA several years ago). Batchix's Clever Littles are new (a few months since their release, I think, but mine are artist casts which I bought July 2015).

There is no way any of my boys could be mistaken for anything other than adult in a small scale due to the sculpting of their bodies/faces. Argonautica Doll has also released a tiny girl recently who is mature but I can't speak for that doll as I don't collect girls and am only going on the promo pics posted.

10. I don't pay attention to Leeke's controversial 'art' body. I have heard of Lillycat though! I'll put that as an example. But I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about 1/4s as a popular size with lots of body variation in the European market, so I'm not sure what tinies have to do with it.

@Iron_Dog, I'm a bit confused with what you're trying to say. Then you agree with my points? It sounds like you feel you disagree about something, but I don't see what that could be.

11. I mis-read one of your points about tinies. I thought I read that there were only child-like ones in this size category. I just re-read that part and saw that you said most child-like. Apologies.

I do agree on the ease of sewing for 1/3 size over the other sizes. My collection ranges in size from 11cm to 69cm (34 dolls, 22 companies) so to say I have a wide variety of sizes (height/body shape) is not an understatement. I sew 98% of my dolls clothes and by far the ones that allow me the most wiggle room for patterns and choices for fabrics are the 1/3's. Sewing for my smallest dolls are a bit of a pain in the butt due to fabric restrictions and the teeny seam allowances (usually 1/8"). I'd post up a photo of my crew but I actually don't have a current one of everybody together (it's on my to-do list *sigh*).

12. Because when you go to LDoll. the majority of dolls for sale are 1/4, but when I was looking at their websites they only have 1/6 for sale right now, so I couldn't give them as an example. OR, they don't have a shop website right now (can't find Once Upon A Doll's blog for instance). Also, my own shop carry 1/4 dolls, but I didn't mention it, because I don't want to come off as advertising for it.

EDIT: And then I found the LDoll website, with some links to makers:

Irrealdoll: Irrealdoll

Creature Doll: Creatures Dolls | by Mewie Fish

Other Side: Otherside

La Compagnie des Radis: La Compagnie des Radis

Popovy Sisters: Popovy-dolls.com

Still, as controversial as the 'art' body of Leeke is, it is for sale, people do buy it, it is out there and it is inspired by the european art dolls. I think, if you are making an objective size comparison article like this thread, you'd have to include every doll out there :). Just my thought.

#12 Silk, Dec 18, 2015
      Last edited: Dec 18, 2015