1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

So you got a doll... now what?

Feb 27, 2016

1. Once you get a doll, what do you do?
      I made him a set of plain white clothes so when he did arrive he'd actually have clothes to wear as I figured out his fit to make him his first outfit.

Store it in a box until you get everything else associated with him/her?
      Store him in his box until I got a carry case....

First buy a display case?
      I now dont even use the carry case (unless I go out with them/him) and just sit them wherever Im sitting.

First buy wigs and/or clothes?
      I only a wig and shoes and made all his clothes from the start! :)

Make a name? Or do you already have a name in mind?
      Took me about 2 weeks to consider even naming him and even then it was a struggle hahah

Do you imagine up an idea on customization? Or many ideas?
      Not with him but hopefully with future dolls

Do you buy more dolls so that yours has a family/friend?
      Jay need more friend and family, he only has one friend at the moment!
      I already have my sights on an 'older sister' for him and another 'childhood friend' hahah xD

Do you make or section off an area?
      Nope!
      Buy furniture? Accessories? Pets?
      Nope, made them haha xD

2. Store it in a box until you get everything else associated with him/her?
      Only while I didn't have his head
      no I just made a mini diorama in a closed off shelf so that he does not get dusty
      Just a wig and some patterns,I got right to sewing.
      since my BJD has a really long name i had a rough idea once i got him i figured it out.

mine was already customized so all I had to do was get a wig and attach the head to the body and restring the hands i bought
      I hope to in the future-Mabey?
      yes on my shelf
      Yes some furniture

3. By the time a doll arrives I often already have their clothes bought, their name/character decided and their accessories (eyes, wig) and face planned out.

The first thing I do is usually faceup, but if weather or something gets in the way of that I'll get to work on any custom-made clothes, wig or eyes. While I'm working on that I just put the doll (or whatever part of it I'm not using) in "placeholder" clothes. I like to display my dolls, even when they're not "done".

4. It’s all in the preparation....for me anyway! Often the bjd are on a pre-order with a waiting time of 3-6 months. This give enough time to consider wigs, clothes, shoes, accessories and props such as chairs!

On the big day of arrival, it’s then a case of dressing!

All part of the fun!

5. I do a mad dash to get them sorted :lol: I usually have some spare eyes and wigs around so they can be place holders until their proper wig is here.I like to try a few styles on before I finally decide on style or colour and they usually need to be here for that. I make them some simple clothes along the lines of the style I want, I can then refine it over the coming days/weeks by changing fabrics or colours etc. They never go back in their boxes once they're here. But I try and get them dressed in some fashion very quickly and then take my time to refine them after that.

6. For me it kind of depends on the doll.

The only doll I have stored in the box since she arrived is my floating head from Maskcat.
      None of my dolls are in cases and stands are usually one of my last priorities so I usually do not get a stand for several months. Dolls without a stand usually 'float' around the room in semi-empty spaces until I decide on a spot for them and get the stand or chair.
      As for wigs and clothes and such, I usually have a wig and outfit waiting for them before they even arrive unless I do not know what they will fit or come with an awesome default set.
      Names. . . depends on the doll. Some dolls keep their default names, others will be based off a character and is given that name before they arrive, others without a "story" I wait until I have them in hand before I start my list of possible names for said doll.

7. ooo this might sound weird but
      Once I get a doll, what do I do?
      i put away the box and wrappings perfectly so there's no eternal mess, and then i check the whole body for seam lines.

nope! he/she/it would go right into a designated place i've sorted out for them since the day i bought them.
      the waiting time helps me decide where the doll will go!

I pre-plan my dolls, so i rarely have spare wigs that will fit the doll that's coming, so the waiting period is the time i use to find the right wig and clothes! this is also an easy way to ensure that the doll closet doesnt get out of hand

This is the hardest, and usually ask everyone surrounding me to look at the doll and tell me the first name that pops into their mind (this doesn't work that well LOL so i end up looking for a name on google for AGES)

Nope. not into modding my dolls. i hope to keep them as original as possible so i try to be as careful as possible when buying, so i wont have to resort to modding it.

YES and it is a problem, lets not talk about it.

yes i have a whole bookshelf area that's dedicated to my dolls, sort of like their 'house" but not really.

re-ment furnitures and other tiny accessories that are handmade by others on etsy are always so tempting! its a struggle every day resisting to buy them x)

8. For me, it depends on the doll. I don't generally order a doll unless I know what I want to do with it, both in terms of name and knowing what, if any, customizations I want it to have.

That leads to the really variable part of the process: buying wigs and eyes and getting faceups! The wigs I want, in the colors I want, aren't always in stock. Same thing with eyes, I might know what color I want, but actually finding the right pair can take a long time. And having the time to send out a doll for a faceup when the artist I want to do the faceup has a slot isn't always predictable!

I cannot wait until I finish moving into my new place. It will finally be big enough for me to get display cases for my dolls.

9. With my very first doll I had her just standing on my dresser, but once I began ordering more dolls I realized I would need somewhere to put them all! Lol So I went to IKEA and got a bookcase with moveable shelves and doors! Now all my dollies are on display!

10. Once you get a doll, what do you do?
      I dress the doll in their intended outfit and give them their accessories. I try to have a "doll kit" prepped for every doll including one or two outfits, some personal accessories like cellphones, glasses and hats, one or two wigs and pairs of eyes just to test.
      Nope. Unless the doll is a floating head, all my dolls go on display even if they're not in their eventual outfit.
      I display my MSDs on a shelf out of the sun, my SDs in a makeshift diorama. I don't have room for a case.
      I have lots of extra clothing and wigs so if I have a doll incoming, I go through what I already own and put aside anything that might fit.
      I only buy dolls if I'm intentional about it, so I'll have a name and character roughed out ahead of time.
      Many ideas. If I get inspired, I'll look into changing the look
      Yes-ish. I tend to look at smaller dolls as needing companions, they just look so lonely and small by themselves.
      God, the luxury of space!
      Already prepped! I buy clothing and accessories in lots wherever I can so I have things ready to go. Though buying pet dolls has caught my eye too.

11. Store it in a box until you get everything else associated with him/her?

This might be weird, but I actually prefer to keep them naked for a little while so I can familiarize myself with the joints before I cover them with clothes.

Still working on that, actually.

I normally buy those things at the same time as the doll, but I think I might stop doing that for a while so I’m not as rigid in what it has to be right out of the box.

I sometimes have a name in mind if I’m shelling a character, but if it’s an impulse buy, I name it when it arrives.

Depends on the character. If it’s a pre-existing one, I already have an idea in mind. If it’s a brand new character, I’ll play around a bit more with ideas.

...Yes. :sweat I feel oddly guilty when I feel like I’m mistreating a doll by letting it be lonely or buying more things for another doll.

Yes! I sectioned off a few different areas so that I could keep my dolls near me (and safe!) wherever I am in my room.

I prefer to make furniture and accessories since they’re SO expensive. Like a doll couch made of cheap wood without any paint somehow costs more than my actual human desk and chair combined? No thank you! However... I very much want to get a few pet dolls, like that little dragon kit from Aileen Doll, or some of those Doll Family A ones.

These are fun questions! Thanks for posting!

12. I’m waiting for my first BJD girl to arrive, but I have NOTHING else prepared. I’ll knit or sew her some clothes, but it will be easier when I have the doll there to model. And I haven’t ordered a wig because I can’t make up my mind about how I want her to look! I’m going to Japan next month and I will try to buy her some clothes there. I don’t think I’ll bring my doll on my trip because I don’t want to damage her.

I ordered an Iplehouse JID girl with a small bust. It seems like lots of MSD clothes are made for Minifee measurements, and she’s bigger than that.

13. My first doll just arrived! I was planning to have clothes and a little display area prepared for him, but he shipped quicker than I was expecting, so I only had pants, a wig, and some eyes. I cleared off a section of my bookshelf and hung a sheet over it so he wouldn't be in the sun all day, then just went ahead and displayed him anyway. It actually worked out really well -- I sewed him a shirt out of desperation, and it's not fantastic, but it was a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be, so I'm very motivated to make more things for him.

He still doesn't have a name, so I'm working on that. I do plan on buying him a friend, but that's a little ways off. A couple of my MLP blind box figures turned out to be in scale for him, though, so he's got some toys to keep him company. I'm really looking forward to putting together a bedroom for him!

14. I've only just got my first doll, but I've been collecting clothes and accessories for him! He comes out to sit beside me everyday, just so I can look at him. (I've wanted his particular sculpt for almost 10 years). I bought him a wig and eyes first, then made him a little cloak to hide his body while I searched for an outfit I liked.

I had no name for him, but once he arrived it was INSTANT. I knew his name and character. I want to body blush him and paint his nails, maybe do some tattooing? I might change his nose a little too, because now that I have him, I want his nose to be a little bigger? I've got to do research on that first.

On buying more dolls.. Absolutely LOL I am already saving up for a second one so he can have his boyfriend with him. I know the exact body I want, though I may have to look for a head for a bit longer.. Or I'll mod the head that comes with the body, I'm on the fence. Next thing I want to get for him is furniture and accessories! He's a Victorian age spiritualist, so I want to craft him some tarot cards and find a pendulum that's his size.

15. I was so excited to get my first resin head. I knew nothing about where to find a face up artist, what size eyes to use for the sculpt (I now own many size eyes in my attempt to find what would work best, wig sizes, where to find a body that might match the resin color (thankfully this community offers a multitude of information!), and what the character's "style" of clothes should be. So far I've had my two head sculpts before a body so I got everything after they arrived.

16. Once you get a doll, what do you do?
      Tons and tons of pictures, putting them in their homecoming outfit (most of 'em usually have at least one. With a few exceptions, I make each of my dolls a "welcome home" outfit if I can or buy them one, since I think it's fun and helps me get an idea of what will look good on them)

Noooope. They go right on the shelf, with the rest of the crew or sit on my computer desk the first day home.
      Nope. I don't do display cases.

Usually I have at least one wig in the reserve, or I buy it in advance and pray it fits. Avalon, my Resinsoul Song, he's kinda infamous for being difficult to find a wig for. I'm sure, if I get another doll in the future one of his reserve wigs will inevitably fit them better than they ever suited him. Kazumi (my OT hybrid girl) actually wears a wig that used to be his. Then I had a spare bob wig that used to be hers, then I got Noah. It's like musical wigs. Clothes, I primarily make or in the case of my RS Bei and my RS Summer, I bought a few things in advanced.

Usually my dolls have set names with set character concepts, but a few broke that trend, verrry fast. (Avalon, was initially named Arcani and Kazumi originally was Akane. Avalon suited him better and Akane became Kazumi's last name. Noah, I just liked the way the name sounded and she's actually named after the Yu-Gi-Oh character)
      So many ideas, I don't know what to do with them all. Mainly to do with their clothing, since most of the time their face is perfect. Sometimes needs re-touching (I sent Avalon off for a faceup and he came back looking like a completely different doll, in the best way possible. Lead to his character being developed more cause of this look)
      Guilty. Avalon has two siblings, a girlfriend and a roommate. They're all part of a book I'm writing about them.. Vala, she's my protagonist for my other book and I need to find the right sculpt for her boyfriend.

I sectioned off two areas, one for the tinies, one for the yo-sd's and MSDs. I'm actually making MSD roomboxes with my dad soon.

Buy some furniture, my dad is a carpenter so if I really want it, he'll find a way to make it. Accessories yes... Pets, also yes. I have an Obitsu The Dog body as Noah's pet. I wanna get another so she has two dogs.

17. @Arashi Uchiha Wow! You're so fortunate that you have your dad to create furniture / spaces for your dolls. My dad passed a year ago this month and he could make anything. Unfortunately he passed before I truly got into this hobby. I'm hoping I inheirited some of his skills for creating things. Thank you for sharing the stories of your doll family!

18. I'm very sorry for your loss and I wish you luck with your future creations. I was very happy to share ^^

19. Once you get a doll, what do you do? Take picture of the doll coming out of the box, and holding a part of the COA, but not where it all shows, if the doll has one. (My Bobobie dolls didn't come with any.) I like to capture that new feeling of the box opening, then I look at the pictures and remember getting the doll, it's nice.

I take them out even if everything isn't here. I'll make some easy clothes, like a t-shirt and jogging pants for the guys, or an easy dress for the girls, if I don't have anything for them to wear, or I didn't get fullset. I now have a few wigs lying around, but if not, I make them a beanie, or some easy yarn hair, so they wont be bald.

First buy a display case? My new SD that is coming is the first doll I bought a stand for. The doll will be here before the stand as he was instock.

As soon as I order a doll, I go shopping for a new wig, and a new outfit if the doll isn't fullset, if the doll is fullset, I wait for the doll to get home, and then buy stuff to change them up later.

Make a name? Or do you already have a name in mind? I'm horrible, that I usually just keep the company name. I think of my dolls as little actors, and sometimes they play different characters, but they always have the company name. Maybe I should name them?

Do you imagine up an idea on customization? Or many ideas? I might have an idea in mind, but the doll usually has a different idea in mind on how the doll should look, and the doll always wins.

Do you buy more dolls so that yours has a family/friend? I am bad at this. I like to buy them siblings and friends. I don't think I could just have a single doll.

My MSD's have their own area in my room. It's just a bunch of sofa's they can sit on, but I have a lot of furniture to make a scene for them.

Buy furniture? Accessories? Pets? So much furniture and accessories! So much! They have, a living room set, an entire kitchen, washer & dryer, then have a dinette table, and a picnic table, a tent, a full bathroom complete with shower stall and a separate tub. They have food props, a lot of food props. They have toys, games, a laptop. I haven't got a pet for them yet, but I know I will eventually.

#59 RabbidBunnies, Feb 5, 2019
      Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    20. Once you get a doll, what do you do? I usually do an unboxing video, then try and find clothing for them. Previously, I've bought outfits in MSD and SD sizes that they wore until I learned to sew. With the dolls arriving in future, I'll probably just do a quick wrap dress and then sew them something more suitable. My first doll is still shoeless :( I'm waiting for her shoes to arrive but it is taking forever.

Not in a box, but on a shelf in my room, which is kept dark most of the time due to the heat in my region. Eventually I'll have roomboxes which will be housed in airconditioned rooms.

First buy a display case? If I could get a nice display case shipped I would consider it, but right now, nope. I'll probably be buying stands though from now on.

First buy wigs and/or clothes? I like to have wigs/eyes ordered before, or around the same time as, the doll is ordered. I prefer them to have these things as soon as they arrive, but Australia Post is incredibly unreliable so it's going to be a toss up with my next two dolls at least.

Make a name? Or do you already have a name in mind? Usually they have a name before they arrive, but right now I have one little guy that I just keep referring to by his sculpt. As I plan to wipe his faceup and work on him from scratch, I don't have the perfect name for him yet. I'm hoping he will tell me as we work together.

Do you imagine up an idea on customization? Or many ideas? I have some dodgy sketches, an idea of a story....it changes when they arrive though. I'm realising that even if I have an idea of the doll I want for a character, that's not always who turns up on my doorstep. Sometimes they are nothing like I thought they'd be...then we have to work together and figure them out and I have to organise all of their things for them again.

I admit I bought one tiny to add onto Ayla's story line. My other tiny has no character or storyline yet. Chances are he'll be a transgender orphan.

Do you make or section off an area? I know where they'll go and who they will sit near. I only have 2 dolls at home right now and 2 on the way. I'm more worried about where they will sit when they come to work with me.

Buy furniture? Accessories? Pets? I haven't bought much yet. I have some props, and I've just ordered table and chairs...I would love a lounge though. So the plans are there, but the funds are not :/