1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Social Status

Nov 23, 2010

1. I go to meets where people have incredible limited dolls (Volks and others) wearing amazingly detailed clothes and with face ups by hard-to-commission artists. They still take the time to compliment my doll with DIY faceup and cheap clothing from Hong Kong. So at least in London, there are no 'social classes' in the doll hobby.

I've never felt 'looked down on' even when I'm looking up at other people's skill displayed in their dolls.

Don't confuse your own jealousy for some kind of elitism.

2. I keep most of my dolls in the box, too. I don't think it has to do with social status as much as just that I'm more of a collector and don't actively play with my dolls as much.

I haven't found anybody who seemed to look down on anybody else at a doll meetup. Everybody's always nice, as far as I can tell. : )

3. An amusing aside: picture how this conversation looks to non-hobbiests. Lol.

I personally feel embarassed when I can afford things and my friends can't. I've got a good paying job and spending money, but it's certainly not because I'm "better" than anyone. I would be horrified to think if any of them thought I was "rubbing it in" or something. :S I would much rather both be poor and struggle to save up and buy matching dolls and HAVE FRIENDS.

I certainly can understand "brand loyalty", but I think that always comes with a grain of salt for most people. I'm always excited by matching set collections yadda yadda, but do I really think I'm "better" for owning it? No way. :3

4. Pretty much all this. I know the Yorkshire meets are very much the same way, we've got dolls that cover the whole spectrum and no one is ever snubbed because of their dolls.

I think it's also worth remembering that people have opinions and tend to express them at meets, especially once a groups been meeting for a long time and are all comfortable with one another, it's not that they think they're any better than someone else. Hell we've got people who really dislike soom and volks sculpts and they make up the majority of my collection but do I think they're being elitist or that I'm being looked down on? Hell no, it's just their taste and I'm not going to start pointing fingers and calling someone elitist because they don't share my taste in dolls.

5. I've seen people snubbed/ignored because they've had rotten attitudes. That's all. If someone's making you feel uncomfortable on purpose... don't deal with them!

Some people are going to have enough money to buy a handful of fullset dolls every week and it still not make a dent in their pocket. That's just the way it is. I would not assume they're doing it to make themeslves look special. I mean, really. And how anyone treats their doll is sort of their business.

6. Hm, good question. I think from what I have seen, there are indeed a few people who will put their (super-special uber-cool limited $$$) doll, or designer outfit or faceup by X artist who has a 5 year waiting list, and paints with brushes made of unicorn eyelashes, ect ect ect... But then there are those kind of people in every hobby.
      I think it just gets more notice in the doll hobby, because early on it was so difficult to get dolls, and when you got, say, a Volks Dolpa doll you either had to plunk down a serious chunk of change or wait in really long lines at events that took place once in a blue moon and only in Japan. Now that it's easier to get super-gorgeous dolls, it seems that feeling is dying down a bit... Or at least the ratio of people who like dolls for dolls to the people who need something super-exclusive to hold over the heads of others to feel better about themselves is changing, and they're not nearly as visible as they were before.
      I think it all boils down to attitude. There can be someone who genuinely likes all the special hard to find dolls with super-awesome outfits, who's pleasant attitude and appreciation for what others have done will make them liked by most, and then there is the person who uses those dolls and outfits to puff themselves up.

7. This. So very much this.

There are snobs in every hobby and the ratio varies from hobby to hobby. Some hobbies are all about exclusivity, while others are about enjoying and sharing what you've bought or made. I strongly feel this hobby falls in the latter category. Are there some snobs in this hobby? Certainly. But they are a tiny minority. And as others have said, if you are encountering this, and you are sure it's not a misperception on your part, nothing is forcing you to interact with that person. I certainly wouldn't! Although I haven't run across that type of person IRL, so it's kind of moot...

8. Agreed! People can be snobby, wherever you happen to meet them!

Take for example Lolita fashion, where girls actually openly put each other down for not owning branded stuff. I have only twice seen people on this forum imply that dolls which are not from a certain Japanese brand are somehow inferior, and they got a LOT of abuse for speaking that way. No one put up with it.

On other parts of the internet I've seen negative comments about certain sculpts, but the criticism was definitely about the quality of the sculpt and had NOTHING to do with the price.

9. I also agree with this!

I was very nervous about talking on my doll plans for a while. I also come from a culture where it's very inappropriate to talk about costs of things. But I realized in this community it can be really beneficial to mention how much commissions and Marketplace purchases are so that you can help those who are looking to do something similar. I was very embarrassed that I have money instead of actual talent as well. I have absolutely no ability to sew or craft things myself :( I don't even own a sewing machine. So hearing about how people do their own clothes and faceups made me want to clamp down and not talk about the things I was doing for my girls. It wasn't at all that these people were bragging about their amazing creative talents, it was just my own interpretation of the social status in the doll community--that modders and artists that can do these things are purer doll enthusiasts, and get more out of the hobby.

So I was always feeling inferior to have a "purchased" doll look instead of one I slaved over myself. Now I realized that an original idea can still go a long way, if it's a commission or just a combination of clothes you pieced together from a shop. There are lots of ways to be creative, and bringing out the unique quality in all our dolls. For some people it involves spending money, for other it involves spending time--in the end we're all getting fulfillment from the hobby and participating in the community.

10. Seriously-- there has been such a rash of injury-mongering going on hereabouts lately, and it's appalling. Why on earth are so many people so desperately searching for things that prove they're being offended and belittled? You're not hurt... nobody here has insulted you... everything is fine... I'm OK, you're OK... there is no call to cry Elitism and let slip the dogs of Class War. Nobody is saying that you and your dolls suck and should go home... and if nobody's saying it, then everyone can stop making themselves hear it.

11. Word. It's getting to the point where no-one can say anything without someone taking it personally and running shrieking about horrible elitist jerkfaces who are looking down upon their poor dorries. People making a statement are not personally attacking you, or after you, or secretly hating on poor KawaiiNeko McUke-chan, honest. They're just, y'know...expressing an opinion or preference. Drop the paranoia, folks, stop putting words in people's mouths (because in crying elitist when it's not there, that's what you're doing) and/or willfully misinterpreting things and just enjoy your dolls.

12. I said this on another thread, but I'm sure there are those BJD owners out of touch with reality, who think that their way is the only way to treat their dolls; that their camera is superior to all other cameras...blah, blah, blah. And those people should be ignored, because hobbies are supposed to unite people, not divide them.

But everyone takes care of their dolls in a different way. Some people collect BJDs to keep with other dolls that they own, up in cabinets, or in boxes - and that's fine. Everyone gets different uses out from having BJDs, and there's no written rule on how to own one.

13. I agree. I HAVE seen one or two people who seem to really, truly believe that Volks is it, everything else is a knockoff, and anyone who claims to like any other company is to be pitied because they're fooling themselves due to jealousy. I have also seen one or two people who will only buy Bobobie/Resinsoul, and who seem to honestly think that anyone who spends more than that on a doll is wasteful. There are a few one-doll-only people who seem to look down on others for having "more than they can appreciate." I've also seen people (more recently) who come right out and say that anyone who spends money on pre-made doll clothes is lazy and uncreative. There are people who say the same thing about paying for faceups, and people who say the opposite, looking down on non-designer faceups. There are people who keep them in boxes who think people who don't are horribly reckless, and people who never put their dolls in boxes who think people who keep them there all the time are sad. And there are people on ALL sides who seem to search out things to be offended by.

I think all of that is stupid.

More importantly, it's very rare. There is, really, only around one or two people in each of those categories, for the most part. Most of the time, "I keep my dolls in their boxes" just means they keep their dolls in their boxes, and does NOT mean "so of course everyone should do the same or not be allowed to have dolls at all." Most of the time "I like Volks" means "my favorite sculpts are from Volks", NOT "everything else is second-class trash". Most of the time "I'm not a huge fan of Volks" just means "Most of Volks' sculpts do not appeal to me" and does NOT mean "Gah Volks is the best but they're so expensive I'm going to hate on them because I can't have one WAHHHH!!!"

Buy what you like. The vast, vast majority of people in the doll hobby care more about what you DO with a doll (meaning that you show some care and effort, and make the doll interesting in your own way when you choose to present it to the community) than about what you paid for a doll. And nobody knows how you keep your dolls unless you TELL them, so I don't understand why anyone would ever care.

And I've seen none of that sort of thing at meetups. All dolls get admired at the ones I've been to, no matter what company they're from.

14. I see it as more of a "personal style" issue, the keep them in a box thing. However that said there are always those who love to look down their nose at others, that's human nature.
      Everyone's viewpoint is valid, in one way or another.

15. I think this is reflective of society's love of victims. It's not my fault, I was Abused, A Minority, A Friend of Bill's. This leads to everyone demanding "respect" whether they deserve it or not, and no one having a sense of humor anymore. I'm Offended! It's an Outrage. No one feels they have to work for anything or earn anything, we're all on a level playing field. I saw a bumper sticker yesterday "Proud Parent Period" (as opposed to I'm surmising Proud Parent of an Honor Student etc.) and I thought, proud of what? Any cat can have kittens. What exactly are you proud of? Suddenly just the ability to breathe in, and out grants us every accolade.
      OK, getting off the soap box now.
      It relates to this hobby in similar ways, no matter how little effort you put into something, you feel entitled to the same attention as others who either A. Have unbelievable dolls B. Do gorgeous work on thier dolls or C. Take amazing photos of their dolls.
      The same way so many raised a hue and a cry over the Gallery Plus section, like it was a personal put down to them.

16. I was sort of like this - way in the beginning of me knowing anything about BJDs; but this was due to my own ignorance, and being new to the hobby. I thought Volks was the only BJD company. Being on DoA has shown me that there are more than just Volks, and I've actually grown a tiny aversion to them, due to how much they cost compared to other companies out there.

17. I just have to say although Volks is not the only BJD company, it is the "Cadillac" of BJDs. Although I own other companies dolls, my Volks dolls are worth every penny spent on them, always. I can't say that with other companies. Volks has many detractors, but that does not change the reality of their excellence.
      And everything else is not a knockoff, there are amazing artist dolls, and other companies that provide an array of very fine product. That said, Volks is an entity unto itself.

18. That's true; I guess it could be up there with SOOM.

19. brb. lolling forever at this comment.

I know that I, personally, am very fussy about aesthetics over company. So I've been lucky from the point of view that the sculpts I've liked aesthetically haven't really been from really expensive companies. That said, I don't like the aesthetics of some of the 'cheaper' companies, either.

I've said to people that the reason I don't have many dolls is because they're really expensive and I find it hard to afford a new doll straight away. A couple of times I've had the response along the lines of "Wait until you discover volks!" And I know it was in good fun. My standard response is to laugh and casually say that I haven't found a Volks doll that I desperately need to have, and that my wallet hopes I never will.

I get comments on how nice my dolls look anyway - because they're lesser-known brands, people are genuinely intrigued and want to know what they are. In return, I'll stand there and gush over a Heliot or a Yeon-Ho because they are beautiful, and I would love to have one if I could afford it.

20. I know when I got in to this I ran into some folks with attitudes. I don't know if it was "oh we're better than you" or "oh we have more money than you".

I do know I don't do much socializing mostly because of time and distance, but if I did there ARE a handful of my dolls would NOT go out. Example: A couple years back PBS did a show up in Roseville (I think it was) and one of the doll owners brought her fav boy. She showed the doll, but asked and was respected with this, to not SHOW the doll. I can totally relate as there is no way in hell I'd bring my Bermann out for handling. sorry. I was lucky to get him and well, you can come sit on my floor and be welcome but not outside. XD

As for limiteds or full dress ... why does anyone feel that it equates to lazy? Oh maybe because YOU can sew? XD I can't sew a freaking thing so a full dress item is awesome for me. But then again, I keep Snow Kaguya busy as well. LOL

Now does that mean I'm snobby? or attitudinal about my dolls? Well maybe to someone who doesn't know me; I am most certainly opinionated. However, in all the time with speaking here, or at doll blogs about dolls, I've not seen, nor have I been a party to bad attitude; maybe that's just lucky too. I do know that some "old line" (and by that I mean long time doll owners with expensive dolls) folks are a bit uppity, but ya know, if a gaggle of young folks came nadding me up to gimme this or gimme that or wanted to handle my boys -- I'd get nasty too. (As my grandson found out when he was 10. LOL )