1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Faery Legend discussion part 4

Apr 30, 2018

1. In my experience, too small wig caps tend to not work or fall off along with the wig. Some of my non-Soom marure tinies wear 4-5"s as the 4"s wouldn't stay on their heads for more than a few minutes, or didn't actually keep the wig on. My Granado guy is currently wearing a 3-4 wig, and his head's not that much smaller. Maybe you'll get them to work. Tiny wigs are one of my biggest headaches in this hobby! :vein

2. My Azur came in today! He indeed had the complete mini gem body! His head was wrapped separately but I can tell it is unpainted. He also came with the torso needed for the siren/merman parts. I'm not sure if I want to unwrap them but I know I should to check for damage.

3. Oh hooray! Congrats @jessholy, good to hear he came with the human body too. Phew!

And I feel this tiny wig pain--that's why I started making my own, but even that isn't foolproof... It's a constant trial, haha.

4. I unwrapped everything today and all the pieces look great! I just need to glue in his head magnets. I am a little sad that the eyes I ordered him don't really attract or reflect a lot of light. They're light colored themselves but unless you get right up in his face, his eyes look like 2 dark orbs. Anyone know where I can get sparkly size 6mm or 8mm eyes?

Also happy to report that my 3/4 wig caps fit all 4 faeries! However, Nenad's wig has been stretched over time so I used some of Volks Pitatto stop tape/velcro tape? on the cap and that has helped keep the wig on!

Now I just need to ask Soom how I string up the merman body.

5. I hate when you have nice eyes but the eye size/well makes it look like the doll has the Black Pits 'O Doom (tm). Swan Doll (Eyes - Eyes) makes 6/8mm eyes that are very much like Oscar Eyes if you're looking for something like that. The Doll Peddlar (Eye Boutique | 6mm Eyes | Doll Peddlar | Dolls, Clothing and Accessories) has 6mm in both Oscar and Dolcebella styles although the Oscar are severely limited as it's just whatever stock they have left.

6. Well the eyes I got might have more dome than his eye wells can handle...I wonder if there is a way to sand them down. Granted I did put them in with normal eye putty and not silicone ear plugs like I normally do. I suppose I COULD try swapping his eyes out with another faery's but I got these eyes for him.

@Iron_Dog Thanks for the links and suggestions. I guess I will have to keep on top of Swan Doll to try to get a pair from them. Doll Peddlar's selection isn't quite the color pallet I am looking for.

7. @jessholy If the dome is too high, there's not a lot you can do about it. If the eyes are resin, you could try sanding them down but you'd need too coat them again with resin to get rid of the sanding marks. This is an okay fix for small irregularities in the resin surface but you might still end up with a slightly cloudy area. I've done this with the eyes I make where the resin behaved weird and produced a small raised bump. I don't think it would be a good solution for an overall reduction of the dome and would probably leave the eyes a bit cloudy.

8. @Iron_Dog That's a good point. I will have to maybe try the silicone instead and see if that helps. I also wonder if I got sent the wrong ones - they don't quite match the image of what I bought but I have a feeling that the picture was of a 12mm or 14mm eye and at the smaller size it doesn't look the same.

I might just buy new eyes for him off etsy if I can't wait for Swan Doll to make new ones. None of my girls are willing to get pink colored eyes. :doh

9. @jessholy I feel you on the pink eyes thing. 6/8mm are a tough size to find. Sleet and Iwa-Xine are both wearing Dreaming Tree Studio eyes and I'm very happy with them. Quite a few of my guys with small eye requirements wear DTS. I can make 7mm but they're a pain and the failure rate tends to be high with them. I'm also happy with the eyes everybody is currently wearing so don't feel the need to change them.

[​IMG]Sleet, Herald of Fei-Lau by ID Locke, on Flickr
      Sleet is wearing a custom pair called Zombie Ice and I think they're 8mm (it was a long time ago that I purchased them).

10. @Iron_Dog Oh I had forgotten that you mentioned this artist before! It looks like you have to contact them but that means you can get a truly customized set. Did you email them to get the eyes you have or do they have an etsy store?

I love the eyes my other Faeries have in but Azur's need some tweaking or a pair to match. (When everyone but you has Oscar Doll eyes, it shows I guess.)

11. @jessholy At the time, I emailed Amanda to ask about getting what I wanted/needed for Sleet. She's very accommodating and insanely easy to work with to get you the look you're after. She used to be on Etsy but has recently closed that shop and only accepts orders through her website/email. I believe she opens order periods to keep the work load managable and I'm unsure of how often that is.

Keep in mind that if you want the Oscar Eye type for your Azur, the ones by DTS are not going to be the same as she doesn't work with jewels/other sparkles in her eyes. She does have several different types of finishes like semi-metallic, metallic and one that sort of looks like carnival glass that I completely forget the name of.

I use nail gems in my eyes but I haven't been able to find gems that are small enough to work well in the smallest size without taking up what I think is too much landscape in the iris. I use calipers and measure out my smallest eyes as 7mm although the mould is supposed to be for 6mm. All the eyes tend to measure out as 1mm bigger so I'm assuming that there is some expansion as the resin cures that accounts for that extra 1mm. Generally it's not a problem unless the eye well is very small and that 1mm is a game breaker.

12. @Iron_Dog I took his eyes out to check the dome and it is SUPER high. I could try switching them with Rick's eyes because I don't think Rick is doing the smiling eye. Azur's lower lids curve up in the middle - which I like - but I think those are preventing the dome of the eye from coming out which I assume is what's supposed to happen. I haven't had a pair of eyes like this before so I don't understand how it's really supposed to look when in a doll.

13. @jessholy I can't really comment on high domes as I don't think any of my guys wear high domes. I'm not an expert on the subject at all but I'd say your thinking/reasoning on it is sound. The high dome probably helps draw light into the eye, illuminating it more.

14. In my experience, high dome eyes push the eyes farther back in the head.

15. I did some testing of the eyes with my Nenad - same kind of black eye of doom affect, because like Nancy said, the high dome on the eye is pushing the rest of the eye back into the head meaning I can't see it from the front.

I tried it on a different doll that had 10mm eyes in and it works fine on that eye because it can come out through the front and therefore the eye color is seen.

Sadly, the 10mm Oscar Doll eyes I had in that doll do NOT fit in Azur - far too big. At least the eyes I bought can be used by SOMEBODY but Azur is back to eyeless. =(

16. That's too bad @jessholy but at least you figured our why the problem was happening.

All The Glitters (ATG eyes 6mm resin eyes for bjd custom colors and iris/pupil | Etsy) on Etsy has 6mm eyes but not in the Oscar style. They say they can do custom colour/iris/pupil sizes. I can't speak for them directly as I've never personally ordered from them but a friend did and she was happy with the eyes she received (I believe hers were 8mm).

Mehi/Candy World (Candy World by CandyWorld on Etsy) on Etsy makes 8mm and will do custom orders. A few of my guys wear her eyes (none custom though) and I'm very happy with them.

17. I've been meaning to get my Ethan (Boehm) different eyes. He's been wearing a Glib pair that fit fine, but aren't the right color for him. I might try ordering some from Captured in Glass to see if they will work for him.

18. Thanks for all the eye suggestions! Since he is technically a merman, I went with some glittery eyes from Enchanted Doll on etsy - they sent me a side profile of the eye before I bought it so I am pretty sure they will fit just fine. Here is hoping! Now I need to buy him a wig. I really loved his original release wig though.

19. #279 SteamWitch, Aug 4, 2020
      Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    20. He's here!

[​IMG]

He's here and he's beautiful even without a face and he smells good and I love him already. <3 <3

His name is Yttri.