1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Monthly Doll Fantasy legs - how do they work?

Jul 12, 2009

1. I did a search, and I know there's plenty of photos around but I'm still a little confused... :sweat

I'm wondering, how exactly do these legs work? What keeps the dolls from falling flat on their faces? The knee joint looks normal enough from the photos, but the joint below it is basically a backward knee that, even at the standard standing upright pose, looks terribly bent. If my regular dolls had their knees bent at such an angle, they'd just fall over. How about when they're crouched down? I assume the dolls are pretty heavy so how does that work? My normal SD10 can't even crouch without her sockets popping. Also, are the legs strung all the way through from head to foot or do they attach only at the knee?

Thanks so much... any pictures with descriptions/explanations would be much appreciated :)!

2. hmmm, let's see if i can help..... the legs are strung all the way through from the head like any other leg/foot..... the knees lock into place, and the resin behind the knee just kind of sits on the resin below (hard to explain). when i place my dolls in a crouch, i find i do have to pop the knee out of joint entirely, so that the elastic is showing. i balance the upper part of the thigh on the lower back of calf...... maybe i can find some kind of photo.

3. Thanks Miss Ally :) that answers my question about stringing and crouching.

I'm still a little confused on the standing though. Does the lowest joint "lock"? How does it do this? Can anyone explain (pictures would be really helpful too)! Thanks :)..

4. Hmm, I'm not sure I can explain the exact physical characteristics of why they stand, but the gist of it is that the joints are locked in that slightly bent looking position.

There is a joint at the front (you can see it in pictures) on the bottom part of the legs which looks alot like the back of most dolls knee joints, this joint locks into place at the front the same was as knees do. They also have the normal locking knee joints that other dolls have.
      Basically it works the same way as standard SD legs lock, they just have an additional joint further down the leg.
      The angle is not quite as drastic is as it might seem in some pictures, I think you'll find that despite the bent look of the legs, the weigh distribution of the body is still centred, so it pushes straight down on the legs the same way it would on straight legs, that strain is simply shared by two joints instead of one.

As for sitting crouched, it doesn't really work in intermediate states, the legs basically have to be bent fully back on themselves so they sit flush, which stops the doll from toppling over as it has nowhere else to go. (except sideways)