1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Event ::SOULDOLL:: 2021 Winter event with Swinte-elf ver. All images.

Nov 19, 2021

1. Hello? This SOULDOLL.

We let you know that we start 2021 winter event from next Monday (Nov 22).
      Also, Swinte-elf ver.(Snow of moonlight) all images has been updated on site.
      (*Special ball jointed doll for you, SOULDOLL*)
      To commemorate the launch of Special Skin (soft mud brown),
      we offer a 50% OFF of the original special skin option price.
      We hope your big support.
      Thank you. :)

[​IMG]

2. Is it too late to change the name of the skin color? "Mud" brown sounds derogatory for a skin color...

3. Souldoll is not an American or even an english speaking company. Mud is probably not considered derogatory. They might not have even originally called it "mud" in Korean but that might be the closest sounding name.

4. A few years ago a company came out with a "gypsy" doll. When people informed them that the term was derogatory they changed the name to nomad. So, yes, we can't, and most of us don't expect everyone to know everything. But, when something is pointed out it shouldn't be that hard for companies to make changes. But nothing can be changed if no one says anything.

5. Fair point, but I don't expect companies that aren't English speaking to be held to the same standards as an English speaking company. There are probably plenty of makers out there who use terms we don't like, but why do English speaking people feel the need to correct everything from a Western point of view?

Not everything in western culture needs to pervade other cultures.

6. But, they're clearly also trying to market to a western audience. "When in Rome do as the Romans do." Even as a westerner, if I opened up a business in Japan, it would behoove me to make sure I wasn't doing something that would offend Japanese customers. And, if I did I'd apologize for my ignorance and make changes. That's just good business practice.

For the record I'm not expecting or asking for Souldoll to apologize, nor am I condemning them for not knowing. It would however be nice if they considered what Marci pointed out and changed the English naming.:)

7. Oh I'm with you, if they want to change the name, that would be great, but I don't expect them to (would be nice of them to, for sure) and it might not even be considered a derogatory term in Korea (IDK, I'm not from Korea), my only point is that I don't expect non-English companies to conform to English/American/Western/European standards because that's not what they're used to.

I just don't want people to "assume" that something was done intentionally when it probably wasn't at all. :D

8. @bjdhobbyist The non-question follow-ups will unfortunate probably end up deleted by the mods.

But before they do, yes, I'm quite familiar with Souldoll (first Doll bought in 2006 from them) and Korea (lived there for 5 years). No, I don't think it's an intentional slight. Yes, as Souldoll wants international businesses, these issues are important and is not as simple as western society influencing eastern; our way is the right way.

Issue is with translated word choice. And, as @Cloudedmind said, if it's not brought up, it can't be addressed (no matter if they decide to keep the term or change it).

9. Hello? This is SOULDOLL.
      When we decide the name of the skin color, we usually decide the name by looking at the name or color list of the eye shadow color.
      Actually, we didn't expect this reaction at all.
      As you said above, we have been selling our dolls around the world, including the West. Therefore, we think your proposal for changing the skin name is very valid.
      Everything you argued about here was too much help and valuable experience for us.
      In that sense, we would like to collect many opinions from customers about the new skin name.
      How about holding an event to decide on a new skin name?
      We want to hear your opinions.
      Thank you.

10. That would be great, thank you!!

11. Yes, that would be great!

12. I'm not english speaking person (unfortunately), but 'mocco brown' sounds nice to me.

13. Thank you for your good opinion.
      We will collect opinions internally and announce the event next Monday.
      We are sorry to bother you, but please send us your opinion through our site again after the announcement.
      Thank you so much.