1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

SoulDoll mini dolls Soulkids Discussion part 6

Sep 23, 2018

1. @Iceymelody I'm not very knowledgable about stringing but some issues might be the knot being in the wrong place, the elastic is twisted or maybe both sides of the elastic are not even in tension. New dolls also tend to be strung too tightly.
      It might just be whatever is causing laquaza's problems is happening to you too. If they were strung tightly maybe something has been warped during shipping?

2. I've restrung my Angel at least two times since I received her. So I honestly doubt it's the stringing. It's almost 2AM here but I'll take a closer look at her leg pieces (and measure them) after I get some sleep in.

3. @Iceymelody That's super frustrating! :x If the mobility joint isn't closing, maybe the ball part on the upper thigh piece is too tall for the cup in the lower thigh piece? On my girl, that ball and cup isn't really a ball joint... When the mobility joint is straight, the rim closes, but inside there is a gap between the ball and the cup (a little under 1mm... I measured by squishing some putty in there.)

But you said earlier that one thigh piece is longer than the other... If the mobility joint did close all the way, would her legs be the same length? Or is there asymmetry somewhere else as well?

4. It looks like there's asymmetry as well. I lined up her knees the and thigh line was higher on one and then lined up the thigh line to be sure and the knee was off.
      I'm going to check again today to be sure

5. @Iceymelody Hmm... Okay, I have thoughts, but take them with a grain of salt. I've built a lot of scale models out of various materials, occasionally including resin, but I've never modded a BJD.

(I'm assuming below that the longer thigh piece is also the one where the mobility joint doesn't close.)

If you were brave and confident in your modding ability, you could think about sanding down that ball, first to fit the cup and then a little further so that you could also sand down the flat top of the lower thigh piece. That would be the easiest way to lose a little length without having to sand something that's usually exposed or trying to reproduce a complicated end shape.

But it might be easier (and safer) to go the other way... What about getting a rubber joint pad or two to pad out the mobility joint in the shorter leg to lengthen it to match? You could even test this with a bit of cardboard or something cut into a ring shape.

(This is all reminding me of my father who's had multiple hip replacements that have left him with one leg half an inch shorter than the other. He has a special insert in his shoe to prop the shorter leg up.)

6. That last paragraph makes think I could just try to put a tiny sheet of foam or so in one of her shoes. I think I'll try that next week.

7. @laquaza Sure! If they're wearing shoes that's even easier. My dad's insert is wedge-shaped and goes in the heel because what's where the leg comes down.

8. So, my Baby Pink Unicorn Ver has some minor asymmetry -- I received her at the very beginning of this year, so, a reasonably recent purchase. She has human legs and one of the legs is just a tiny bit longer than the other, so some bare foot standing poses it is noticeable, but not really when she's in shoes. It's not a big deal to me, but I understand how this could get problematic depending on what the intention is for the doll. I'm pretty sure all my Souldoll kids have some issues when it comes to standing, lol, but again, fairly minor issues for me.

It's ok to also contact Souldoll to see if there is a way to fix it or to see if the part is actually defective vs just being a bit asymmetrical. I've had an instance with another company where a part was warped and I had asked the company if the part was supposed to fit in the way it was and it turned out it was a defective part, which they replaced for me.

Of course, modding can be fun too :)

9. Oooh I'm definitely not brave enough to mod her but i will try padding the shorter leg! And maybe when i have some money getting her sturdy shoes. For now she's just sitting and kneeling- she does those very beautifully

10. Hey all.. my souldoll came in just a month ago and her sealant is already cracking. Has anyone else has this happen with them?
      I might be able to send her back and have her redone but if this is a common issue i dont trust it wont happen again..
      If so, does anyone have recommendations for face up artists that have a realistic neutral style? I want her to have the same vibe and still be *her* if i have to redo her face if that makes sense

11. Got my Angel Persephone Ver yesterday!! She's so minty :D They also sent a normal Angel head in the blue green resin as well. Gotta figure out her look!

[​IMG]

12. omg she's so beautiful!! I hope you'll post pics of her faceup when you get her done! :D

13. I definitely plan to! I have a Baby Pink Unicorn and a Lovely ver to paint first because I've been terrible at finishing my projects this year haha.

14. She looks sooooo good. I love blue dolls, and I was only stopped by my other two layaways already in place from ordering her. Can't wait to see her in a different style to the one that was on the website. We need more gorgeous green & blue dolls! :D

15. Hi, I had this issue once from Soul Doll. It was on my Vito Callia. Her sealant started cracking after a few months.

I have several other dolls from Soul Doll though and their faceups have been fine for years even though I handle them regularly. :) So it might be worth seeing if they'll redo it for you!

If you decide to go with an artist, I think it will depend on where you're located, but I've used Angel Addiction here on DoA and think their faceups work well with Soul Doll default ones. Or maybe Starcat Doll Aesthetics (also has a thread in the marketplace) or Nocturne Doll on instagram could maybe be a good fit.

16. Souldoll's done it again with Berry A. They've really been releasing sculpts that tempt me lately and I already regret not being able to get Angel S. Anyone else thinking of getting Berry?

17. I am so tempted to get Vivaan in neutral tan. He might just work for one of my D&D characters.
      But I need to figure out if he'd work scalewise. The character's a kind of gnome so he'd be put next to short 1/3 dolls. He shouldn't look like a kid next to them and more 'out of scale' in the right way. That might be rather tricky.
      Guess I'll have to check how Angel looks next to my 55 - 62 cm dolls dolls.

18. I'm figuring out my Angel.S Persephone's look and I think I'm going to go with the white wig because it will give me more options for how I want her to look with those yellow eyes. The blue multi-color wig is soooo gorgeous but I would definitely be stuck with a less intense look for her faceup and body work because the wig would be so vibrant. I also tested wigs on my Baby Pink Unicorn Ver ( who I also have to paint haha) and she is definitely going to need a custom wig if I want it to sit correctly -- her horn definitely gets in the way. But is ok! I get to dye some alpaca fiber pink to go with the color concept I'm going for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@laquaza I took an image of my Angel.S next to a 58cm Peakswoods Red and an about 52 cm Black Cherry Xiao Yu on a Dollstown Elf body, if that helps with references for you on size! Obviously the proportions are different because the brands are different but I think Angel.S could work well next to 55cm dolls with smaller heads.

[​IMG]

#538 karlyl, Dec 3, 2022
      Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    19. Aww thank you so much for taking that picture. It's really helpful.

And I really like that white wig on your Angel S. The cut suits her very well too :love.

20. Ok, so I ended up starting the painting work on my Angel S Persephone before my Baby Pink Unicorn, lol. I couldn't get her out of my head. Anyway, here is the progress -- She's starting to come together :dance Still have to get her outfit which will pull all the body work in together and I have some details to add to her chest and torso, but I'm happy so far!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]