1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Spangled Dolls

Apr 23, 2008

1. (Thanks for getting rid of my accidental duplicate ^^; )

I'd like to ask Aaron if the dolls are intended to have an American or Asian aesthetic?

2. I noticed that they don't respect the "eye for an eye" rule of art very well. Which put simply is that the space between eyes should be the length of one of the eyes. Though the dolls do seem to have some potential. I'm looking forward to seeing what some talented people do with them.

3. I'd say the end result speaks for itself, pretty much.

4. I'm not American, but I certainly understand the controversy over calling these dolls "Star Spangled Dolls". They aren't made in America, but in a factory in China where the face-up is done as well. Although, much of the stuff American's sell tend to be manufactured elsewhere... Correct? Hmmm...

They're only sold in America, however.

That would be a discussion for the Dolly Debate area wouldn't it? :kitty2

Anywho...

I look them over, consider them, and I get the same feeling from them as I did when I look at "Laura's Dream Dolls". Not to say I think they're copies of any other doll or sculpt.

More so, there's just something about the presentation that just doesn't give them... life? character?... enough to make me interested in buying one.

Maybe I'm just too nit-picky on presentation and design. ^^

They're not to my tastes, is probably the best way to explain it is all. :)

Addition:

I agree with Musashi chan. I'd like to see what some talented people can do with them too. I've been quite surprised at time with the awesomeness of some rather originally dull presented dolls. Maybe I don't have creativity enough to see more? (Sad to think about... Maybe it's a phase.)

5. I gotta admit that it really gets my goat that these are called "Star Spangled Dolls" considering there is nothing American about them other than the flags plastered on their headcap tags. Made in China, Sculpted in China, Painted in China. To me, that is a Chinese doll. I have nothing against Chinese made anything since I own a DZ myself. However I feel these dolls should be called what they are, and that isn't an American doll.

The faces don't appeal to me in the least, so I can at least put my hard earned money elsewhere. Good luck to those that do buy them.

6. I agree with sat. Slapping a flag on the headcap and calling these dolls American seems too much like trying to capitalize on the "AMERICA F- YEAH" super-patriotic crowd. Which, when you think about it, is rather silly since other dolls that are manufactured in the US are marked as OT for discussion here. So where's the sense in proclaiming your product as something thats not allowed?

7. My own personal reservation is that the company is stressing, over and over, that the 'style' and 'features' of these dolls is 'personally controlled by Americans' despite all the actual production being done in China. American American American--it seems like they're distinctly and deliberately trying to distance themselves from the very Asian-ball-jointed-doll aesthetic that is the main focus of DoA.

I have no issue with the dolls themselves (beyond the fact that they're not to my personal tastes) but it's as if the company is trying to make dolls that are off-topic. Ironically, if they stopped trying to plaster the 'American' label all over these Chinese dolls, I think they wouldn't be skirting that line so very badly. :sweat

8. I can't say that I find their marketing to be very tasteful. Not a fan of the close eyes.

9. There is nothing Star-Spangled or American about these dolls other than the pixellated flag decal on the headcap and I find this marketing ploy to be rather off-putting. Preying on blind patriotism is just low.

The dolls themselves, I can't say I like them. But store photos rarely show the potential of a sculpt.

10. This is quite amusing to me. I personally am put off buying the dolls because I'm not American and these are obviously not meant to be sold to non-Americans, considering how they can't even give a hint on how much shipping will be, only tell that they will be sent with EMS...

...And at the same time, the Americans are being put off because they feel it's overly patriotic.

Too bad, though. The dolls by themselves look nice. I just wouldn't want a doll I had to jump through hoops AND pay in plenty for.

11. While I'm not super fond of the head sculpts, I'm glad to see another 58cm boy body (especially as it seems that taller dolls are becoming more and more the norm)--if they eventually offer the bodies seperately, it could be another option for people who need a shorter body.

I'm guessing the American reference is because they're designed in the US?

12. I hate to say it, but seeing dolls marketed in this way makes me feel embarrassed to be an American. This just reinforces to the rest of the world that Americans think they are better than everyone else. Downright shameful.

13. No, it has been stated in the thread that they are designed in China and made in China. The only reason they are being marketed as an American doll is because the person that had them made resides in the US. That is why people are so up in arms about it.

14. I'd have to agree that as an American it makes me uncomfortable :/... I almost feel like apologizing. Advertising this way seems a little too exclusive, especially on a forum like this that is open to all countries. I don't see any other doll companies being so loud about their nationalities. Celebrating a country or people is fine and many people do it with their own dolls through their stories, photos, and fashions... but this is a little too aggressive/pushy for my tastes.... it's so reminiscent of all the post 9-11 "git yer flags here!" profiteering...

As for the dolls themselves I am not really a fan of the sculpts. Their noses are too high and eyes too close/large for my tastes ^^;. There are already very similar Chinese dolls available to all countries and people for a lower price so... I wonder how these will do.

15. I would say that considering how poorly they're being marketed, not very well.:sweat

16. That these dolls are marketed as American leaves a bad taste in my mouth - there's nothing American about them. They aren't designed, made, or painted in America. Their only saving grace as far as being an American doll is that they look like one - your Bratz, Barbie, etc, with their even, upcurved eyes and close features. If they are not in line with the Asian aesthetic, they shouldn't be here. These dolls are not ABDJs. They are ball jointed dolls, yes, but that's it.

I find the plastering the stars and stripes all over the advertising and then the headcap immensely insulting. But that is another fine kettle of fish that I doubt we can delve into here.

17. This is exactly how I feel. Riding the post 9-11 wave of patriotism soley to make money really gets my goat.

18. Nightmoon says what I was going to say. The sculpt of these dolls remind me of Laura's DreamDoll. Also the fact that the maker is co-operating with a "friend in China"; Laura's DreamDoll comes from China. And this company has the LLC thing on the end of their name; the store on ebay which sells Laura's DreamDoll is called Sunrise-Art LLC. And many of Laura's DreamDoll's dolls (bit awkward that was) have names from Greek myth; so do these.

I'm seriously having my doubts about this company and their affiliation with Laura's DreamDolls.

19. It seems to me like an american company trying to make a quick buck. Ugly dolls, Ugly site, all over icky feeling.