1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Off... buying a head?

Jul 17, 2010

1. A good option, if you can sew, is to buy the head and check out the Pretty Poppet pattern on Craftster. It's the right size to make a MSD body, and you could scale it up for an SD one. Wedge the head on that until you can afford a body, and in the meantime (as long as it's dressed) your floating head will look at least roughly complete.

2. I started with a floating head. Though, to be honest, I'd definitely say make sure it's a head you really, really like. It'll be much nicer when you receive it. Also research about resin matching is always a good idea. Other than that, you learn from experience in this hobby. That's all I can say. Good luck to you~

3. It's really up to you -- my first dolls were full dolls, but since then I've bought a lot of heads separate from bodies. It can be frustrating to have the head and have to wait on the body (I have two floating heads right now), but it also gives you the opportunity to create your own head/body combinations (make sure to do some research before hybridizing so you get a good fit).

4. I've actually fallen in love with a doll that shares my name, so I've got my heart set on her. She comes with eyes, but I'd still need a wig, faceup, and clothes. I think just keeping an eye on her and being patient is what I'm going to do :- )
      Again, thank you for all the advice.

5. I actually don't recommend that. Usually if heads are cheap on the MP, they're hard to sell, and even harder to resell. Try going to a doll meet to see which size you like, and save up for a whole doll unless you find a head that you absolutely love. Best of luck though!