1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting your doll family while in college?

Oct 12, 2010

1. I was living on a student loan... I got my first dolls when I was still in college... and then I had to sell a body cuz I was running out of money.

I'd say, start with one if you really want one but seriously stop there! You don't want to be in the poor house!

2. I am in the process of putting together my first doll, and I am a senior in college (bio major). He is a migidoll miho (his body actually came today o__o!!) and I bought him in small pieces. I got his head first, then bought some clothes for him from a buy-one-get-one-free sale. My friend faceuped him for me, and I got his body last. So buying in pieces helped, especially since migidoll doesn't do layaway.

It also helps that I have a job at my college, and my parents are paying for the tuition that isn't covered by grants or scholarships. So I save up a portion of my paycheck each month for doll things. I did recently come into some money via a financial aid refund, most of which I used on paying off my credit card. However I have quite a bit leftover. So I'm looking at finishing up my dear Aven (like buying him shoes, making him props, and improving his faceup), but also contemplating a minifee Karsh.

So yes, basically I keep careful track of my personal money and do layaways when possible. The SOOM epidos nearly killed me though....no way I could afford him and yet I wanted him ;_; I'm over it now though, hahahaha. I just hope I don't get soom'd or anything soon so I can stick to my current financial plans!

3. I just got my first doll and this is my senior year of undergrad. But my doll was a gift... the money I am forking over for her is for her accessories like shoes, eyes, and wigs. Which would never cost the amount of the doll... unless I let it... lol. I plan for saving for a Luts Zuzu to be her pet friend, but that is going to be outside of the money I have for school. My BFA thesis is going to be uber expensive, so I need to make sure I manage my money well this year... I hope I can do commissions eventually to cover the cost of the other doll.

4. I started collecting in college (still am in college too). It is very difficult to do so if you're paying your way. I saved up for a year and slowly pieced together an outfit, paid for aesthetics, etc. 2.5 years later my first doll is still not complete and my second is naked but hey, I'm getting there. My advice: Don't get overexcited. Finish or almost finish a doll before getting a second (or third). My education comes first so I can afford more later XD

5. I got my first doll when I was a second year in University, and I think it was a good time to start. I'd been saving up slowly for a while for a trip/vacation but never ended up going .. ^^;

I live where the tuition rates are the highest in my country, but luckily I commute a short distance and I saved by packing lunches and buying used books/borrowing books from friends instead of buying them. (Also things like buying multi-purpose paper and printing double-sided helps.. lol)

I got a tiny-sized doll first though to start off. I wasn't okay with spending $600+ on my first because I was new to the hobby and had never even held a bjd in my arms before... just seen them in photos. :S I'm glad I did, though! I'm trying to limit my purchases now that I'm addicted because I don't know how long this hobby will interest me... but I will slowly save up and get at least one SD-sized one, because that has always been my dream. ;)

6. I just started this year too and what I did was first I got a non-resin doll( a Hujoo to be exact) through Amazon and because my parents do surveys the had credit for Amazon so that ended up being free. After that I saved up my money, I work for the dining hall at school, and got my first resin doll.

I didn't think it was too hard but then again I'm very stingy so I only spend money on something I really want.

7. I've started my doll family recently (june 1, 2010 to be exact) and I'm just in 1st year college. Well, yeah, it's harder to save up for doll funds when you're in college especially when you have to commute everyday (yep it takes me 1-2 hours to go school) and buy all the materials like for projects. It's even harder when I have discovered another hobby: anime figurine collecting. I've realized that it's more expensive to provide the needs of your dolls than to buy the doll itself. I even sacrificed my own vanities so I could just buy new clothes for my little boy. Well, I just need to make my own budget for him and for myself. To reduce my expenses, I'm planning to take up sewing classes and search some tutorials on how to make this and that so I won't spend much on him.

I just realized that we're like two living people who have needs. :)

8. I'm a senior, set to graduate in a year or so. I have never had the luxury of NOT working while going to school. I just don't understand how people can't work and go to school at the same time--maybe it's because I'm a non-traditional student and my university has a very high non-traditional student population though, so it may just be my university. Because I always work at least part time, I've got money to spare. I live off-campus and have rent and bills to pay, and what doesn't go to that goes into the dollie fund. My parents don't help with my education, and I get grants, scholarships and loans to pay tuition. I'm in the process of buying my first doll, and I've had to save and work hard for every penny of her, like you all have had to!

9. I did not purchase any BJD in college. I never would've been able to swing it even with working two jobs, and I didn't want to use loan money for things unrelated to school (unlike some of my classmates, heh) because I barely had enough to cover my art supplies--being a fine art major was expensive!

10. I'm on my second year of college and I have found that grants are a wonderful thing. I got a few grants to pay for boarding and part of tuition cost so I dont have to take out much in loans. After that was all handled I just had to get a part time job (though that does take a while to find in this economy) and whatever isn't saved to pay for tuition or going towards food gets set aside for hobbies like Lolita and of course filling up my room with dolls. since I've started college I've only gotten 2 dolls and they were on the lower end of costs because they were both tinies (I'm still currently waiting on my puki to get here >< ). I usually keep my spending to 1 doll a year while in college, I'm sure I could get bigger dolls if I saved longer but tinies are so addicting. It's also nice to get financial help from parents, my mother pays for my laundry and my food most of the time while I'm living at college, and she helps pay for my books which are always so incredibly expensive, and renting books helps save a lot of money!!

11. Oh man, I definitely know what you mean! I just graduated this summer but I got my first doll last winter... I was so broke and I had wanted a doll for so long, but I finally got a good deal of cash for Christmas and I used that money for my first doll. I'm still having a hard time right out of college. D: You just have to pace yourself is all and try not to get too discouraged. :3

12. I bought my first doll as a gift for graduating high school, so yup, I started collecting just as I went into college :)

However, this was at a junior college where my tuition was covered by financial aid, my family helped cover me for books and supplies and I had a part-time job to pay for my rent/bills/food. I would save up a little every month after all the necessities were paid off to go into the doll saving fund as well as save from holidays/birthdays as my family is supportive of the hobby. I didn't take out any loans or have any money to pay back to anyone so I was perfecly fine saving and ordering my boys.

I'm taking this semester off and living at home again (now that I have my Associates Degree) so admittedly, without any bills and such my spending has increased. I am careful to still stash some money away however and as I'll be moving away again in January to go to an actual university, I'm pretty certain that now things are going to slow WAAAY down in the bringing-home-of-dolls area. Even though I'll still be working part-time I know this time around some loans and such will be needed for tuition, and I don't feel comfortable spending so much on luxury hobbies when I feel I'll have so much debt hanging over my head. Perhaps if my family wishes to help me out (once again as a gift for special occasions) I may be able to purchase another doll, but I know once I move my spending will most likely be limited to single, cheaper items such as shoes or simple clothes once a month or so.

13. I was college age when I first started the BJD hobby, but not yet in college. I had a job, but little to no money to spend on dolls or doll stuff. I considered it almost an act of god if I could get eyes or wigs, let alone clothes or a whole doll. During that time, all I was able to get were two doll heads, one pair of eyes, and two wigs. Everything else either came with the doll heads (1 pair of eyes) or was a hand-me-down/borrowed from my girlfriend, who was also in the hobby.

Now that I've actually started school, it's like mentioned above - financial heaven! I won't go on and on about it, but I've been able to get more for my dolls since I started school than in the 2+ years I've been in the hobby. And this is all after paying off bills, buying things desperately needed, and general necessities.

I can't say how relieved I am about all of this, not just the BJD hobby part. It's enough to make me really regret not starting college before now.

14. I started very recently, I tried to save up but the only money that was coming to me was student loans (which thanks to my parents inability to have even a dollar in their checking accounts was very large) I forfeited and spent some of my student loan money on a cheap doll. I look at it as "Well If I wasn't here I'd have a job and he'd already be mine!" So I bought him.

15. The way I look at it is that it's not like it's free money anyway, you're going to pay it back eventually. So you should do what you want with it (which to me, has been buying fabric for cosplay and doll clothes lawl) so... yeah! :D

16. Thank you for agreeing with me! Besides your supposed to use it all

17. I got into the hobby when I was done with school (or so I thought) and working full time, so I had no trouble affording things. Now I'm back in school full time, and it's caused me to really cut back heavily on my spending.

18. For college students that get little to no money, it's important to develop some sort of saving strategy. I've mentioned before that I get whatever money my dad gives me, and I also get to live there for free and eat for free, plus all my expenses are paid by him. So my money is to cover gas and whatever else I might want. I'm making a piggy bank in ceramics, the kind that you have to smash open so that after I've finished paying off my first doll, I can put my extra money in there, and I won't be able to get some out for silly things like junk food or going to a movie or something. I won't keep careful track of how much I put in there, so I'll open it up in maybe half a year, and hopefully be pleasantly surprised by how big the doll fund is. I desperately want a job and financial aid so I can pay for my own stuff. It sucks still being financially dependent on my dad. But for now, this will have to suffice.

19. Oh, I nearly forgot the MOST valuable tool that my university ever taught me! Free sh*t is good sh*t!

Let your parents buy you clothes, shampoo, new toothbrushes, anything! If you live off campus but not with them, let them buy you food if/when they offer!

Does your college/uni provide a 'pay what you can'-style breakfast/brunch/lunch? Go to it if you lack a meal plan!

Also... I don't know about anyone else, but here in Canada there's this store called 'Bulk Barn'. It's as you've probably guessed... a bulk food store! And the best part? On Wednesdays, if you show your campus card you get 10% off your total! :)

20. I started in college and oh boy
      it was really hard, but I did manage
      I do several part-time works to pay for my credit card
      but my dolls are worth it ^^