1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Stealing Ideas from Others

Mar 1, 2011

1. To add, and not to get *too* technical, going back to the OP's situation (or regarding sickness and disease in dolls) if you want your doll to have epilepsy because someone else's doll has it, too - so be it. Sickness is a lot different than exact style of face-up of someone else's character. A lot of characters with the same kind of backgrounds (monks, or blind dolls, for example) are probably going to have a lot of similarities because they have to.

Like, if you had a diabetic character, it would be somewhat of a given that they would probably have an emergency bracelet or necklace. Sure, instead of one person's Type 1 doll, you could have a Type 2, but then it's impossible to accuse someone from copying you. Unless you could tell - really tell - that a doll was copied, I'd consider it coincidence. An epileptic character is going to share traits with other epileptic dolls (that's good characterization), so unless you out-and-out said so (like the OP is doing), there's just too much variation to accuse someone of copying.

2. So, my question is how do you react to people stealing your, or others ideas? Do you get offended, or think its fine?

It depends on how similar it resembles to my ideas especially that it could be a coincidence that someone else have the same idea but had no knowledge that another person has that same/similar one. I mean if someone did truly copies the same thing then it's pretty obvious to the eyes. I don't get offended if people steal my idea at first hand but if they repeatedly to do so then it's kind of like copying what you dress everyday, but I think it's fine if someone just send me an email/or pm asking that they like my concept and would like to use that on their doll then I'm totally fine with it.

I'm pretty open to a lot of things and if people ask about it then sure why not :3! I mean people can make my idea into something totally different even though the basis of the concept is the same or similar.

3. Just to touch on the epilepsy subject if anyone is going to use it for their dolls please research the subject. As with many neurological conditions there is a spectrum. There are people who have the full body seizures, but there can be seizures in any part of the brain and they affect what that part of the brain does.

For example people with temporal lobe epilepsy can have deeply spiritual experiences or mood swings while remaining aware of their surroundings. Absense seizures can cause momentary lapses of attention.

Seizures can be caused by a traumatic brain injury as well.

4. As others have said, I don't think it should be a big deal as long as your doll has a different backstory, name, general look, etc. It's not like you saw her doll and got one exactly like it, named it the same thing with the same story and the same faceup and clothes and everything you saw she had. That would be stealing. What you're doing is just being inspired by someone else's idea. It's more or less research. You knew you wanted your doll to have an illness and started looking around for ideas. I wouldn't be annoyed by this if it happened to me.

Really the only thing that annoys me personally is when someone takes something that sounds cool to them and don't research it at all. So they say their doll has it but when they RP or explain their doll's story/illness/personality they make a mockery of a serious condition. I think this happens most with people saying that their dolls are Schizophrenic but what they actually describe is Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personalities). Or they use the term Antisocial to describe a doll that doesn't like to socialize and prefers to stay on their own because people annoy them when that's not what Antisocial Mood Disorder is at all. Fine if you want your doll to have a psychotic or mood disorder, but at least do your homework on it.

Sorry for getting off topic there. :sweat It's just one of my buttons.