1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Storing clothes

Jun 1, 2023

1. Any advice on storing my dolls clothes.. Right now most of them are in the original package and is in a plastic container but I would want to store them somewhere it will be more easy to get to when I change outfits on the dolls instead of digging for them lol. And another question will it ruin a wig if I wash it or mist it with water or like a frizz cream

2. I have washed wigs in lukewarm water with gentle detergent and let them air dry. I would not use any human hair products that are not rinsed out thoroughly because most of them have oils in them and you don’t want to get oils on resin.

3. I usually use some boxes so it wouldn’t work for you as I store them on top of each other. However, I know that some people store them next to each other, which make them easier to find.
      For the wig, I truly have no idea, I once tried it with gentle detergent but then it was really rough, I would try to dilute it quite a lot, and not use any human product

#3 melie59, Jun 1, 2023
      Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    4. Oh yeah I forgot about the oils ..so glad I have not done it.. But like u said a little mist water probably won't hurt it and let air dry. I just didn't realized how many wigs and clothing I have bought lol and only thing my probably is now is trying to make a decision on what my dolls will were now lol

5. Thanks much for the reply.

6. Misting a wig with water or using frizz cream should be fine. What kind of wig were you wanting to wash? Mohair reacts differently than heat resistant fiber than yarn for example. :)

I've had to wash a mohair/faux mohair wig before and I hand washed it with very diluted detergent made for wool products in cold water. Treat it as gently as you can.

7. I use cardboard boxes, honestly. A different box for each doll size, and I fold the clothing neatly.

As for wigs, some will absolutely be ruined if you get them too wet - there are fibers that will felt if you do so. If it's a synthetic fiber wig, however, it's safe. I mist my synthetic wigs when brushing, wash them with an all-purpose cleaner and condition them with fabric softener. (Dust tends to stick more easily if they're washed and conditioned with human hair products.) I wash my mohair wig with my own shampoo and conditioner, because they're incredibly gentle (I'm allergic to like everything). The viscose custom wig I'm on a waitlist for can't be washed or it'll felt; I'll be getting dust off with one of those spray air cans.

8. I store all my doll clothes in semi-transparent shoe bags from IKEA. I stack them in clear plastic drawers. So while I still have to dig a bit, I can still see inside the bags. I'm working on increasing my storage or re-arranging it to make it easier for me to access.

As for wigs, you already got all the great advice above!

9. Each of my dolls has their own shoebox size plastic tubs (Ok, Bren's is like twice that size and Lumi's needs to be...) but that keeps them organized by doll and I'm not digging through a giant tub to find stuff for a specific one. Most of these boxes are in a chest of drawers, but the ones that don't fit are on a shelf in the closet. Anything that needs to not get wrinkled (suits, formal dresses, etc) are hanging in the closet on doll hangers.

10. Someone mentioned shoe boxes and it made me think of those shoe organizers that hang off the closet door might be what you're looking for. But when you say original packaging, I think of them as flattened in their plastic... If my mental image is matching your situation do it like comics and stand them up. You don't necessarily need the top unless you're stacking the boxes and put dividers between sections so it's less digging and more like flipping through. And divide it like skirt/pant/blouse and they follow the roy g biv to "alphabetize" your colors. And for a more permanent solution, I've seen people take small cabinets and repurpose them as doll sized wardrobes on YouTube.

I say all this, but any method of organization is bins and jars... So maybe don't listen to me :p

11. I recommend smaller clear, flat boxes to store BJD clothing; I prefer one per doll. My large Rubbermaid storage containers are not ideal: items get lost and wrinkled in them. I also recommend Ziploc bags to keep whole outfits together. I find having whole outfits is more efficient than buying and keeping separates, hoping they'll work for something sometime. And even though I have multiple BJDs with the same body, I like particular outfits on particular dolls. They don't trade items - but that's a personal preference.
      Ooh, and I like embroidery floss storage containers for the small items!
      Happy Hunting for your ideal storage solution!

12. I ended up buying a pair of small, three-drawered chests of drawers that matched the style and wood color of my display cabinets. It wasn't a bargain solution by any means, but it has given me plenty of space and they look good in the room.

13. For smaller doll clothes, I actually have binders with pocket pages to organize all the clothes. This works for almost everything up to 1/4 size. All my larger clothes are in individual sleeves/clear bags and tossed in a big drawer so no help from me there. My wigs are kept in clear scrapbook paper boxes (they regularly go on sale at most craft stores). The scrapbook paper boxes are just deep enough for the height of a wig cap and some fluff and stack really nicely.

14. Oooo, that's a really great way to do it! I'm going to have to look into getting some myself; my wigs could use more love with their storage.

15. I just got my third plastic "photo case" for my BJD clothes and accessories. I love them because the outer case has handles and contain 16 smaller boxes which I can use to sort by item or size. Or remove completely to fit stuff like the 1/3 shoes. You can get them transparent or in colors which is handy :D

16. I have plastic shoebox containers for each doll or set of similar sized dolls, with labels on the end to show whose clothes they are. the boxes are big enough to lay most things pretty flat.
      Wigs get stored in their net, with a ball of tissue inside to keep the right shape. Some fragile ones are then inside a polybag as well.

For Dolly Stuff in general, I keep all the little poly bags we use so much in this hobby, and reuse them. One of the shoebox bins in my closet is just a box O' bags.

17. I have a BIG box with other small boxes full of clothes in it, I also have a little doll sized wardrobe that actually fits clothes tho its turned into a mess so some of the clothes there gotta go into the box. I saw someone on instagram use a little binder with clear pockets to store their favorite (msd sized) outfits so i might try that too because im drowning in doll clothes lol

18. Oh, I tried this too! I think it might have worked better if I had tried it with smaller clothes, but for 1/3 size it gets unwieldy pretty fast. Too think I think, even if it's one sweater/jacket per page.

19. yeah i can imagine that might get a bit unwieldy, it might work better with like 1/4th and smaller.

20. I use these bags that are actually meant for storing wigs and hair extensions. Hangers are "clamp" style and have a strip of felt on either side.

[​IMG]