1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

'SWAP' stories

Jun 20, 2010

1. I've done a couple of swaps through another forum. The first one was kind of a dissapointment because I sent out lots of cute things like books and toys and only got a cheap pearl, a couple of candies and a weird piece of jewellery in return. I couldn't use any of that stuff on my dolls because they weren't doll size. I was also looking forward to seeing pictures but I guess people were really lazy because very few posted even one photo. I was very excited about it but apparently, not many other people were.

My next one was a little better, I got some cute cookies for my doll and the person I sent my items to posted pictures of the stuff I gave her. The only thing I feel bad about is that my camera broke before I got to take any pics of the things I got.

I like swaps, but the circles are pretty small where I live so there are very few participants and sadly, a very small amount post pictures. But then again, the fewer people there are the less will get burned. Still, I'd like to participate in one of the bigger ones here sometime. I've seen pictures of the stuff that some Finnish hobbyists have gotten in puki swaps and I not only love the items, but also the enthusiasm of the participants. They post so many cute pictures and give each other little cards :3 I rarely see that in my local valentine's day, halloween etc. swaps.

It would be great if there was a specific section for swaps in the forums, that way more people would probably be inspired to host them. And not just in the US or UK, but worldwide :3

2. I once joined a swap on a dutch forum, for little hats :) I love that kind of swap since it requires some creativity and skill :) I didn't have any sewing skill so I made some pink pearl antlers. I got a headband for my little boy back :) it was a bit on the big side, and also fits my msd, but still, I like it ^^

It was also hosted on a small community and almost everybody knows eachother there, also in person :) which is nice and people always post pictures of their gifts, even if it's sometimes a bit late.

@Leatherbee, a section for swaps would maybe motivate people more to organise a swap. But worldwide would be a bit big I think. Since you have the price for the swap already and when you're unlucky you have to send yours to the other side of the world, which costs quite a lot :s I like the idea though :) On that forum there is a small swap-section in the marketplace.

3. don't forget there is a current DOA birthday swap on!!!! the sign up closes soon!!

4. Do you have a link? :3

5. Here you go KT:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?381156-DoA-Birthday-Swap!

Edit: Today, July 9, is the last day for swap signup.

I signed up for the DoA bday swap too.

Swaps have been largely good experiences for me over the years in both miniatures and dolls groups. There are usually a few people who send their swaps out late (life intervenes or they are just flakey people), and a couple of people don't send their items out at all. If you are lucky and the swap is well organized, you can post that you haven't received anything and the swap leader will have something sent to you.

In my experience, people normally go out of their way and are very generous so that you enjoy opening your swap present. But tastes differ so every once in awhile you get something that you don't like. It is important to be polite and post pictures of your items and send a thank you message.

6. Awesome! I signed up just now. :3

This weekend I'm going to work on the other swap stuff. It's there and ready I just need to sew on it. Thank goodness I'm usually an early preparer because it takes me forever to get a moment to sit and sew due to ailments and people dragging me around. XD But I usually always get done ahead of time because of that. I'm so excited. :3

7. I've participated in quite a few swaps over the years here, and for the most part, they've been fun, and the items my dolls have gotten have all been great! :)
      But the last few times were a bit soured by folks not even saying a simple "thanks" for items that I took the time and effort to make, according to their wishlists. A couple wouldn't even acknowledge they'd received the gifts until I nudged the thread a couple weeks after the delivery confirmation said they'd received it. :(
      I'm not in the swaps for what my dolls get, I go in to hopefully make someone's day brighter with a handmade gift, tailored for their doll, and a few bought goodies.
      So I've taken a break for a bit, and am just going to make clothes for my friends. They're at least nice enough to tell me if it fits. :)
      I'll join up again once I've a bit more time.

8. I'm in my first swaps. It sounded like fun, and I love the creative challenge to go above and beyond and turn out something really awesome- I just hope whoever I get feels the same way and that I will get something nice I can use for my dollies. I love to give gifts, and the added idea of also receiving a little something too is cool. I guess I'm hoping for some kind of Swap Karma to happen. I do intend to let my swap partner know when I receive whatever they are nice enough to send me, and to thank them, cause that's just being polite.

9. I've been a DOA member for quite a few years now and have entered several swaps. I've been lucky and only got burned once, where I didn't receive anything in return.

I agree that the rudness of some people (not acknowledging reciept of their package, not saying 'thank you') is disheartening, but it's something that can't be controlled.

I think the swaps are getting better because the people who run them are more organized and have learned from the experiences of swap leaders before them.

There's now a list of people who have flaked on swaps and the list is available to any swap organizer who wants it. These people are denied entry and hopefully this will help cut down on people failing to follow the rules. There's also the feedback thread here on DOA.

All in all swaps are great fun and I'll continue to join them!

10. I've been in quite a few that turned out great. But I had 2 that weren't so great.

One package was mailed and returned to me over 4 months later, so I messaged my partner and it was sent out again. I never heard back so I asume all is well but I hope she liked them.

The second one was last Halloween. I never heard any aknowledgement that it even arrived. I Pmed the organizer several times. But neither status of sent or recieved for either my gift or the gift being sent to me were updated. I worry like crazy with packages. So that was aweful D:

I haven't participated in swaps since. The other swaps I did turned out great I had alot of fun making things. And I like to spoil whole groups of dollies :D

Though the one on one crafting swaps I didn't like. I pretty much got used for free comissions ):

11. I've only been in one swap so far, willing to try another, but I'm pretty burned out and put out. I spent a good solid week or two sketching out my own pattern for the swap clothes I made, spent extra money for fabric even though I had plenty, and all I got in return was that the colors didn't suit the doll.

I felt really bad because I'm a perfectionist and want to make EVERYTHING right, and I offered to make a new outfit but heard nothing back.

I just hope in the next swap my partner will like the thing I make them. :/

12. Aww, I'm sorry Caffine! The person should have at least said thank you. I hope your next partner likes your gift too!

13. I really like the idea of a swap, but i've been shafted too many times to enter another one unless everyone in it had good feedback, was 100% committed, and if it was a crafting swap then separate people by skill level. I would always put a lot of time and effort into my swap items and either get an arm warmer with another hole cut out of the side as a "shirt," something with equally as little effort put into it, or nothing at all. If it had happened only once or twice I'd think "oh a random flake got into the swap" but most of the swaps I've entered, myself and several other people got shafted. It seems like a lot of people think since no money is changing hands they can accept free swap items and never send anything out.

It sucks because if everything goes right a swap can be really fun. If I wanted to slave away making free doll clothes for people, I'd open some kind of charity thread. At least those people would be thankful. :sweat

14. I'm on my first swap (DoA Birthday swap) and I'm really into it! I'm more excited with the experience and the process of making and gifting things for people rather than the receiving part. It's also a great way for me to revisit some of my previous hobbies and destash through some extra supplies that aren't enough to make human scale but perfect amount for a doll such as jewelry and extra amounts of yarn enough to make a doll sized hat/sweater/scarf/socks. Since I'm almost done I'm trying to plan out an awesome presentation too.

15. I came in too late for the DoA swap. Which is probably a good thing because I might not have been able to afford posting. I have however entered my first swap, the red one, just hope I get stuff made/brought in time. And posted in time. I'm bad when it comes to sending things off, my friend had to wait years for her souvenirs. But has this is a deadline I should get it off in time :3

I just hope my first experience isn't a bad one D: I've never got any gifts for my doll[ies] before...

16. Harpy, what size is your doll? If your partner shafts you I'll try and make you something too! I'm in the same one.

17. Swaps are fun. ^^ So far, both of the people I sent clothes to posted pictures, which was awesome. I've gotten some really great stuff, too.
      I feel slightly guilty about not being the best sewer, compared to some of the things I've received in a swap, but I hope I've managed to create things that are at least cute and wearable. C: I do put a lot of effort into it, so no one can fault me for that. >>;

18. Yeah, I saw that in the thread and, if it makes anything better, I was angry for you. ^^

19. Totally random from me..but not really...Tuhin is still wearing his! And has stopped demanding I make him 'appropriate robes' for a dragon as important as he seems to be! He really only wants the outfit you sent me in the swap for right now! So instead of slaving away for him when I'm done with my swap outfits, I get to slave away for my dollies who have nothing to wear themselves, then the ones who are borrowing clothes from others the same size, THEN work on something for him for formal photos...and I can't wait to do a photoshoot with him in the outfit you gave me!

For the current swap I'm in, the Fantasy and Mythology one, it seems like most people are getting done, on time, and shipping out, and that a LOT of effort is being put into the outfits going out, and everyone is doing the best they can! So we've got a whole range of skill and talent levels going into the outfits, which I think makes it fun, as you can still see that even the ones that aren't made with as much skill or talent as others, are still made to the best of the abilities of the person making them.

20. Oh...I saw that too...and while I'll say that so far everyone is putting forth a GREAT effort with what they send...and I think our swap is doing great in that regard...that was definitely a low point. I couldn't believe that they'd flat out say that, without thanking you, or showing what they got, either! I've gotten gifts in the past that I didn't really like, myself, or that didn't suit the intended doll...but I've still loved them, and thanked for them! And found a way to either make them work, or gave them to another of my dolls that they DID fit with. Really...if there are colors or materials that you do NOT want your doll in...or styles for that matter...I'd think you'd put that in with the rest of your doll's info, though...just to avoid things like that happening...