Switching characters

May 1, 2018

1. Has anyone completely overhauled their dolls? I've been thinking about remaking my doll to fit a character rather than just being cute as she is. It would take a lot of modding and time to make her fit the character well. Tell me about your stories of changing up a doll completely.

2. I've reshelled about half my dolls at one point. And two of them actually switched personalities on me. The way it usually goes for me is that I have a character in mind, find a doll to fit it, the doll comes, and........it's not them. I'll try to make it them, but it's just not. They may keep similar interests, but usually my dolls overhaul themselves!

3. I did this yesterday!

I got my Zaoll Luv in February. I planned for her to be a punk rock girl named Roxxi, gave her a few traits but nothing too deep. Lately, I’ve not been feeling drawn to her character at all, but I still love the doll, so yesterday I randomly decided to wipe everything and paint her like one of my long term but I shelled characters, who is s cousin to one of my oldest dolls. I tried different wigs and eyes on her, and now instead of being a 23 year old rocker with blue hair and brown eyes, heavy makeup and tattoos, she’s a sweet blond haired, blue eyed 15 year old ballet dancer!

4. I'm in the process of doing this!

I bought my Mystic Kids Francis because the sculpt fit my one OC named Morty. I even got him blank so I could get him a character faceup and bought him multiple outfits and a wig and a new pair of eyes specifically for the character. Well, long story short, he didn't fit Morty at all. Just looking at him in his "complete" state (aside from the lack of faceup) made me upset because I couldn't bond with him like that. I decided to use him as a guinea pig for some Victorian patterns I was working on and changed his eyes back to the blue ones he arrived with and I realized how perfectly it fit. I made him a black yarn wig (which I will be replacing cause it's horribly done) and realized that even though his sculpt might be a little too "cute", he would make a great novella accurate Edward Hyde. So now my little Eddie is slowly getting period accurate clothing and a faceup to match and i've been able to bond with him much more than I could before.

5. I didn't have much of a character behind one of my dolls besides decora/Nagomu inspired. Try as I might, I couldn't bond with her.
      [​IMG]

Then after some extensive reversible modifications and a new wig, she became a character with a complicated family and a doll I enjoy.

[​IMG]

6. Yes, I've done this many times, although I went in the opposite direction of the original poster; I had dolls made after characters and later just reverted them to dolls. I realized it's better for me personally to attach a character to a doll after receiving the doll rather than attaching a doll to a preexisting character (though there are exceptions to this).

Probably my most "extreme makeover" was my Souldoll Tiffee, who went from being a prissy blonde girl to a melancholic black-haired boy. I also swapped characters with a Sleeping Elf Bonbon; she began as a good fairy and ended as an evil one when the doll just wasn't working for me with that particular faceup/wig/eyes anymore.

Overall, rehauling has been a very positive experience, and reminded me in many ways why I fell in love with a particular sculpt in the first place. Also it's just fun as heck to look at old photos and marvel at the difference!

7. My doll first came with the company face up, I named her, then change her face up, I changed her name as well.
      It wasn't a dramatic change like new body or modding the sculpt, but only the face up and some body blushing.
      Giving her freckle and new colour of facial hair (brows and lashes) made her change a lot, I couldn't believe how I felt like it's like changing a race of someone. It was really satisfying to see all the changes assemble (new wig, clothing style, I also brushes freckles on her body). I think the idea of making character up is really fun!
      When you have a character for your doll there maybe more limitation (e.g. you love this certain clothing so much but it won't fit your doll's character), but that makes the things 'fit' your doll more rewarding. That 'THIS IS IT' feeling is great :D

8. I kind of changed characters with my doll! When I got him, I established his character but it didn’t really click and I wasn’t bonding with him. I changed his personality and story which helped so much, but his aesthetics remained mostly the same!