1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Symmetrical or asymmetrical hand poses?

Jul 25, 2007

?
  1. Symetrical hands -- both posed the same way.

2. Assymetrical hands -- two different poses.

3. No preference either way.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I'm about to start sculpting hands to go with a head I'm hoping to cast, and I was wondering which people prefer. My inclination was to do two different hand poses -- it's just more interesting to me as a sculptor -- but I've noticed that all of my dolls (from three different companies) have both of their hands posed the same way.

Thoughts?

2. Asymmetrical for me. How many times to you see a human who's hands are in the same position? It just seems more natural to me to have differently positioned hands.

3. Definitely assymetrical. It's both more realistic & expressive. Hands are such an important part of these dolls to me.

4. Unless it's something special like heart hands, I prefer asymmetrical hand poses, they seem more natural to me.

5. I voted "no preference"

I love the idea of asymetrical hands, but with certain companies I don't like using hands from two different sets because they are/look different sizes. That bugs me.

Raven

6. I don't have a problem with symetrical hands, but asymetrical do look a lot more natural.

7. Snazzy. Glad to see that people's preferences (on average) align with what I want to sculpt.

Raven: I think anyone would be put off by differently sized hands... I'll certainly try to avoid that.

Thank you all for voting. :)

8. Asymmetrical. I love hands and will buy optional hands just so everyone has mismatched hands, and so I can switch them up as I need to depending on the pose.

9. I prefer a little asymetry, not much but yes a little, it's more reallystic

10. There are certain poses or positions that look better when both hands are the same... but in general I think different poses look more natural and more interesting. In fact, I think it would be neat if companies that make optional hands offered mix and match hand pairs or single hands, so you could get what you want without buying twice as many hands (of course they probably make more money selling paired hands XD).

I wish everyone did loads of optional hands, it seems like all of my favourite dolls are made by companies that don't offer optional hands and are really bad matches to any other resin (i.e. Blue Fairy which is pinker and darker). Hands can be so expressive!!

11. This is why I like s-hooks. I usually have his hands on in symmetrical fasion, but I like being able to make him point or gesture when the time is right :)

12. The human brain is wired to prefer slight asymmetry, at least as far as the appearance of a human form is concerned. There's been a lot of studies into this. They've all found that perfection is less attractive.

So I'm very glad that my boy has hands that are similarly posed but not identical.

13. asymmetric, because it is closer to realistic.

14. For what it's worth, I'm hoping to eventually make a variety of easily swappable option hands. I love hands. :)

15. I think I have to go for asymmetry, as well. I would use symmetrical hands for a specific pose (like the heart hands, for example) in photographs, but in the long run, I think I'd prefer the hands to look more realistic nine tenths of the time.

16. It might be fun to have different hands from my dolls, but they both have symmetrical hands and I don't mind.

17. Well, I think having asymmetrical hands is almost like getting two sets of hands for the (price) of one X3

18. Asymmetrical for more uses! :)
      One to vaguely point with, one to sort of grip with.

19. different, more choice for poses ofcourse^^

20. Definitely asymmetrical. I just received a doll from Doll in Mind, and was very disappointed that his hands are mirror images of each other. So unimaginative!!!!!!
      xoxoxo
      Maggie
      p.s. good luck with the project!